Northam End to be home fans only + safe standing (new updates)

CSA96

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

when will we find out where the away fans will be so we can all move next to them?

Amen to that. This is precisely why i bought my seat in the Northam....which i've had since day 1. I wanted to be next to the away fans for the atmosphere.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, goodymatt said:

FAQ section on the OS article suggests away fans will be moving to the family stand.

Which makes sense as it is a corner with manageable access for away coaches through the industrial estate.. Watch all the head core move to the chapel 😂

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, LeBizzier69 said:

Amen to that. This is precisely why i bought my seat in the Northam....which i've had since day 1. I wanted to be next to the away fans for the atmosphere.

i was joking. It's pointless being next to the away fans. The best atmosphere would be created by 5,000 Saints fans all in one end giving it large. 

• Like 31

i was joking. It's pointless being next to the away fans. The best atmosphere would be created by 5,000 Saints fans all in one end giving it large. 

Faire enough, i wasn't joking - you seriously think it'll be better having one end like that. We already have one end and two sides that are all saints fans. And the other end is pretty quiet, at least from where i'm sitting.

Just don't see how it'll make any difference.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, LeBizzier69 said:

The atmosphere in the Northam has been crap for a long time now. Even this season it's poor considering the position we are in.

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Exactly this. There will be a bunch of people that can't bare to be away from the visiting fans, and they will move so they can carry on not watching the match and waving wanker signs at other football fans for 90 minutes instead.

For the rest of us, this is a brilliant move by the club, it's been a long time coming!

• Like 25
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Harry_SFC said:

The atmosphere in the Northam has been crap for a long time now. Even this season it's poor considering the position we are in.

So where is it better in the ground? Itchen North and some of the Kingsland are the only others where you hear anything.

1 minute ago, LeBizzier69 said:

Faire enough, i wasn't joking - you seriously think it'll be better having one end like that. We already have one end and two sides that are all saints fans. And the other end is pretty quiet, at least from where i'm sitting.

Just don't see how it'll make any difference.

It’s now down to the fans. If a load just follow the away fans down to be near them then it won’t work but if everyone is in the same place behind a goal it would look and sound great. Remember MK Dons JPT semi final second leg whe we had 4/5 of the Northam?

At the moment we’ve got half and end, then two pockets in the corner which means the atmosphere is diluted, different songs as different times, if everyone was in the same place with 5,000 together it would be so much better 

these days it’s pointless being near the away fans, a hand gesture or behaving even slightly aggressively can land you with a 3 year ban and the banter these days it’s pathetic 

• Like 10

This surely has to be seen as good news? Think the atmosphere has been tainted in the past due to away supporters being situated in the Northam, mainly because the most vocal home support is split asunder when ‘big’ teams come to visit. Sitting mostly in the Kingsland I get a good perspective of how the home support detrimentally affects the away supporters - in short it really doesn’t. The best that can be said is that sandwiching the away fans between the Itchen North and the Northam can be a good thing, but it’s rarely completely effective.

Of course this will only work if (a) home supporters get behind the move and stay put and (b) there’s a renewed effort to sing often and in unison, thereby making the effort worthwhile. The club also needs to find a way of allowing flags to be displayed in the home end to really complete the ‘kop’ look and feel.

I hope it works because it has the promise of making a matchday more enjoyable for ALL Saints fans IMO.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Registered my interest to attend more focus group stuff on it. Am very much in favour. 

Do you attend games? With all due respect, unless you are a regualr atendee at SMS, its pointless you chipping in with your opinon. 

Not a dig btw.. a general observation. 

• Like 1

It’s now down to the fans. If a load just follow the away fans down to be near them then it won’t work but if everyone is in the same place behind a goal it would look and sound great. Remember MK Dons JPT semi final second leg whe we had 4/5 of the Northam?

At the moment we’ve got half and end, then two pockets in the corner which means the atmosphere is diluted, different songs as different times, if everyone was in the same place with 5,000 together it would be so much better 

these days it’s pointless being near the away fans, a hand gesture or behaving even slightly aggressively can land you with a 3 year ban and the banter these days it’s pathetic 

I don't disagree in part - i just think it'd wear off pretty quickly and silence would reign.

Just now, Dman said:

Do you attend games? With all due respect, unless you are a regualr atendee at SMS, its pointless you chipping in with your opinon. 

Not a dig btw.. a general observation. 

Yes. I am a current Northam season ticket holder. It very much affects me. I have Been to every home match this season.

But you are right. If you not a regular at SMS there’s limited - but not zero - value to input. 

The Northam is currently split in half home and aways, I was sat the other end Saturday and can confirm the home bit is crap these days, the same amount of aways make far more noise.

As for wanting to be next to the aways for the ‘banter’ what’s the point? Other than the ones immediately either side of the divide the rest can’t even hear each other.

Hope it works and improves the atmosphere but suspect most of the plonkers will just migrate.

Edited by TheAlehouseBrawlers
  • Like 6

Good news, and we were all told it simply wasn't possible. From what I've seen from my experiences in the Northam, any interaction with the away support is nothing more than a bit of harmless flirting so if you're worried about the loss of communication with them when they're at the other end of the ground, you had better fucking sing a bit louder then.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Honestly never thought this would end up happening. Everyone in Itchen north and Chapel end who have been trying to get an atmosphere going need to shift over to the Northam now for this to properly work. I might actually try and get a season ticket again.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Honestly never thought this would end up happening. Everyone in Itchen north and Chapel end who have been trying to get an atmosphere going need to shift over to the Northam now for this to properly work. I might actually try and get a season ticket again.

We sit in the Itchen North and i have no interest in the slightest in moving to the northam, mainly because the noddy crap that lot come out with is exactly the reason i moved from it in the first place.

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Question, if we get promoted do we then have to remove the safe standing section? I've lost track of where it is and isn't allowed.

Safe standing will be at the back of the Northam, due to regulations on how much of the ground can be safe standing as a percentage they cannot make the whole end safe standing

Edited by franniesTache

Just now, franniesTache said:

We sit in the Itchen North and i have no interest in the slightest in moving to the northam, mainly because the noddy crap that lot come out with is exactly the reason i moved from it in the first place.

Brilliant, great attitude to have. Club are trying something positive to improve the atmosphere and you'll point blank refuse to get involved because of some vague "Noddy crap", whatever that even means. 

Jesus Christ. 

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Yes. I am a current Northam season ticket holder. It very much affects me. I have Been to every home match this season.

But you are right. If you not a regular at SMS there’s limited - but not zero - value to input. 

Fair enough! 

6 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Brilliant, great attitude to have. Club are trying something positive to improve the atmosphere and you'll point blank refuse to get involved because of some vague "Noddy crap", whatever that even means. 

Jesus Christ. 

90mins of a bunch of kids singing about the skates at 100 miles an hour sounds like hell on earth to me. Got bugger all to do with being close to the away fans it's more that a large chunk of our fans are like the inbetweeners pissed on dark fruits.

If our support wasn't as down the drain as it is right now it would be more enticing, but honestly it's just a bit embarrassing to be associated with a lot of them right now

Edit to add:

Also I think this probably increases our chances of having some god awful "ultras", a c*nt with a drum and embarrassing banners. At which point the Chapel is going to look very attractive indeed

Edited by franniesTache
  • Like 4

Just now, franniesTache said:

90mins of a bunch of kids singing about the skates at 100 miles an hour sounds like hell on earth to me. Got bugger all to do with being close to the away fans it's more that a large chunk of our fans are like the inbetweeners pissed on dark fruits.

If our support wasn't as down the drain as it is right now it would be more enticing, but honestly it's just a bit embarrassing to be associated with a lot of them right now

Yep - that's how I see it. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, franniesTache said:

Yeah fair enough, so let's keep the status quo and make no effort to improve it. 

Why not go there and try and show the darn young'uns how it's done? I haven't had a season ticket since 2018 but last time I sat in the northam (lower down admittedly) I remember it being middle aged and older, hardly any kids at all. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Great point! All the saints fans who are in smaller but noisy support groups around the ground can now potentially coalesce into the Northam. They should probably be offered priority to the newly available Northam seats/stand. 

One great thing about the Dell was that it was compact and intimidating for away teams.

Cannot recreate that intimidating feel at SMS but the next best thing ( imo) is to put the away support in a corner somewhere (😁) and have a red and white monopoly both ends to maximise vocal support for the team. 

NB. If this happens I’m fairly certain that we will kick off to the Northam second half - unlike at present. Would be nice to give team close and loud second half support to get those goals right in front of us. Especially as we seem to score so many late goals. 

Hidden in the detail is the idea of a mixed seating/ standing area. This will be an interesting item! 

9 minutes ago, franniesTache said:

Edit to add:

Also I think this probably increases our chances of having some god awful "ultras", a c*nt with a drum and embarrassing banners. At which point the Chapel is going to look very attractive indeed

A good proportion of the songs have always been about the skates. Admittedly a couple are utter sh*te which i wouldn't sing if you paid me....but in recent years the skates feature a lot. That's not going to change.

Agree regarding some being like Inbetweeners. But that's the newer generation of fans coming to the games. it's going to happen. I can't stand with how fickle the support is generally these days from some in the Northam. "Off with his head" one minute. "I f**king love this manager" a few weeks later. Maybe that's an element of the modern/younger fan.

• Like 3

Would it be fair to say that the point of the family stand is to be a bit of an oasis away from the more raucous, perhaps to the youngest fans overwhelmingly so, atmosphere of the Northam end? I get why they’re doing it and don’t disagree with it, but perhaps think that the siting of the family area will take some thinking about.

What fantastic news, I have called for this for years. Well done the club if we can get this through the relevant authorities. We will then have a ground where we can intimidate and make a real difference.

I still find it amazing how Newcastle get away with putting the away fans up inthe gods

• Like 5

Good idea, gives a wall of noise on the rare times southerners can raise their voice. From a fan management point of view it is way better. I think St Mary's is pretty unique in splitting an end in half for home and away fans. Fans of other teams are usually pretty complimentary about their position, that obviously means they can impact on the game as much as any fan can. 

The safe standing at Spurs is fabulous and it is great to see this initiative being extended. Everyone stands in those areas anyway so why not make it comfortable. 

This will probably be controversial but I think a decent away section is important for the game's atmosphere. Newcastle is a joke and frankly very unfair on fans who have travelled hundreds of miles to see their team. Deliberately distancing fans from the game and their players is just mean spirited. West Ham is terrible (but they can't do much about that). In contrast Wolves and Villa with a decent side section for away fans gives a good feel to the game.

Personally I want away fans to enjoy the experience of visiting St Marys (except the result). For most it's akin to their holidays, nice for them to see a bit of sunshine and drink decent lager for a change. They aren't enemies, just fellow fans suffering just as much as us.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, macca155 said:

Good idea, gives a wall of noise on the rare times southerners can raise their voice. From a fan management point of view it is way better. I think St Mary's is pretty unique in splitting an end in half for home and away fans. Fans of other teams are usually pretty complimentary about their position, that obviously means they can impact on the game as much as any fan can. 

The safe standing at Spurs is fabulous and it is great to see this initiative being extended. Everyone stands in those areas anyway so why not make it comfortable. 

This will probably be controversial but I think a decent away section is important for the game's atmosphere. Newcastle is a joke and frankly very unfair on fans who have travelled hundreds of miles to see their team. Deliberately distancing fans from the game and their players is just mean spirited. West Ham is terrible (but they can't do much about that). In contrast Wolves and Villa with a decent side section for away fans gives a good feel to the game.

Personally I want away fans to enjoy the experience of visiting St Marys (except the result). For most it's akin to their holidays, nice for them to see a bit of sunshine and drink decent lager for a change. They aren't enemies, just fellow fans suffering just as much as us.

I dont agree, Im tired of giving the away fans a wonderful experience , usually at the expense of us.

The home end may only make a small difference but we need every little bit we can get. Too many times Ive experienced the away fans making a difference.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedArmy said:

Move away fans to kingsland north. Problem solved. 

Not that it affects me as I've taken my daughter this season and now sit in the family corner of the K&C (and will continue to do so unless I go alone) but having the away fans in the Kingsland North would keep them off camera a lot of the time! However I think logistically having them closest to the entry/exit bridge north of the stadium could present problems logistically. My guess based on nothing but making it as logistically sensible in my head as I can is that, if the club actually do this, the away fans will go in the Itchin North. All just a guess. 

As for safe standing, I went to Elm Park back in 96 for the Reading vs Saints game that we lost 3-1, and my mate and I were able to jostle to the front of what was a packed standing stand (I was in with the Royals for my sins with my bomber jacket completely done up to hide my shirt) and I saw nothing wrong with it then. 

• CSA96 changed the title to Northam End to be home fans only + safe standing (new updates)