Biggest personal overreaction to a defeat?

whelk

2 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

That was a horrible evening all round. I was especially annoyed by those Derby fans who were allowed onto the pitch at the end just to stand there and goad us. 

…and it was pissing down as we trudged out the stadium - I was still a bit fiesty back then, just as well paths didn’t cross. Shit trip back too.

More recently Sheff Utd away in the League Cup in December, safe to say over 5,000 disgruntled Saints fans.

Not Saints, but going out of the World Cup in 1990 was as aggy as I’ve felt over a football match.

29 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

…and it was pissing down as we trudged out the stadium - I was still a bit fiesty back then, just as well paths didn’t cross. Shit trip back too.

More recently Sheff Utd away in the League Cup in December, safe to say over 5,000 disgruntled Saints fans.

Not Saints, but going out of the World Cup in 1990 was as aggy as I’ve felt over a football match.

Still think the rain at that Derby play off probably prevented some serious crowd trouble, there were some seriously angry saints fans that night and some very game Derby fans. Had it not been sheet rain i'm not convinced that combination would've ended well

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

There was a lot of afters in real time that day - frustration release across north London. Never seen so many scousers morph from Yosser to Cilla Black so quickly. 

Just a bit . Insane pitch invasion. Scousers slicing up Saints fans with Stanley knives while their back was turned. Remember getting an early soccer special to London. Train was rammed fans lying in luggage racks. Nearly everyone was drinking ( about 7:30am) lots of drugs flying around.

• Like 1

On 21/02/2024 at 11:29, whelk said:

I should be used to it  but it annoys me how much a defeat still impacts my mood when I should know better. I remember Echo headline when we got relegated a while back that there had been rise in domestic violence at same time and was linked.  Whilst I have never ever hit the missus I do probably take it out on the family in terms of mood. Also I can’t be arsed to talk about it too much in post match analysis either - a form of denial perhaps? 

So wondered what others’ reactions are, or have been? Eg taking a heroin overdose, ripping up season ticket (cue photo), having a pet put down, sacking a rival supporter

My kids haven't eaten since Bristol City - they laughed at the result. I also shot their cat, but they don't know about that yet. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

I cried. That was in a cup match where it went all the way and we lost on penalties in a game we were robbed in. Cant remember who against it was well over a decade ago.

Bolton away in the league cup 4th round 2002?

Edited by Turkish

Charlton at home, around 2009 I think it was. Maybe 2008. We lost 1-0 with the last kick of the game, I went outside and banged my head against the pillar of the door frame. I was a very angsty screwed up teenager.

1 hour ago, Master Bates said:

Feed them the cat, full of pork stuffing.

I can't, I fed it to the goats. If we lose Saturday, it'll be the goats that go next. I'll then feed them to the cows. 

It's like those Aldi bird in a bird things you get at Xmas. 

Personally, I hear bird in a bird and I get a picture in my head of Pam St Clement and Patricia Routledge going at it with a strap on. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

I can't, I fed it to the goats. If we lose Saturday, it'll be the goats that go next. I'll then feed them to the cows. 

It's like those Aldi bird in a bird things you get at Xmas. 

Personally, I hear bird in a bird and I get a picture in my head of Pam St Clement and Patricia Routledge going at it with a strap on. 

Can someone introduce a sick emoji...I was gonna laugh til I got to the last paragraph 😁

I'd never let a game of football get to me until this season...so the chances are my biggest personal overreaction is yet to come...

16 minutes ago, Leighsterrr said:

Can someone introduce a sick emoji...I was gonna laugh til I got to the last paragraph 😁

I'd never let a game of football get to me until this season...so the chances are my biggest personal overreaction is yet to come...

Saving it for the play off final then?!

Edited by Lee On Solent Saint
spelling
  • Haha 1

As another poster alluded too, I've witnessed so many defeats since early 60's that I've become punch drunk and almost numb to it but there is one that did get me in a uncontrollable frenzy.

I think it was 2007 in the second leg playoffs against Derby. We lost the first leg at home 1-2 but got it back to 4-4 at Derby second leg. It goes to penalties and in his wisdom George Burley decides to give Leon Best, young and inexperienced, the task of taking the first penalty. I was apoplectic even before he took it knowing that the poor kid will miss. My anger was not with Best but with Burley for putting that that sort of pressure on him. We lost on penalties 4-3 and I still maintain that Burley lost us that game. I remember being in a stinking mood for a couple of days and family avoiding me at all costs.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Saint Billy said:

As another poster alluded too, I've witnessed so many defeats since early 60's that I've become punch drunk and almost numb to it but there is one that did get me in a uncontrollable frenzy.

I think it was 2007 in the second leg playoffs against Derby. We lost the first leg at home 1-2 but got it back to 4-4 at Derby second leg. It goes to penalties and in his wisdom George Burley decides to give Leon Best, young and inexperienced, the task of taking the first penalty. I was apoplectic even before he took it knowing that the poor kid will miss. My anger was not with Best but with Burley for putting that that sort of pressure on him. We lost on penalties 4-3 and I still maintain that Burley lost us that game. I remember being in a stinking mood for a couple of days and family avoiding me at all costs.

We've had good managers and bad managers but Burley was just weird.

8 hours ago, franniesTache said:

Still think the rain at that Derby play off probably prevented some serious crowd trouble, there were some seriously angry saints fans that night and some very game Derby fans. Had it not been sheet rain i'm not convinced that combination would've ended well

That fucking game, honestly the range of emotions we went through that night. I’ll never forget the elation as Rasiak scored our third, I still watch the highlights sometimes just to see how mental we went in the away end when that went in. I still vividly remember Leon Best about 2 minutes after that having the opportunity to square the ball for an aggregate winner instead choosing to hammer it wide instead.

The rain as we left the ground though, not just a bit of drizzle but absolute fucking stair rods. Got back to Southampton at 2.30am, home bed and up for work at 5.30am, understandably I wasn’t in the best mood that day.

Someone else mentioned the 4-1 against Pompey at St Mary’s. What annoys me the most about that game is Pompey had a few players like O’Hara and some other triple barrelled name skate cunt that were banned from playing unless Pompey could prove they could afford to pay their wages. Needless to say the lied about being able to pay, those guys played and scored, and we lost. We had them on the ropes for a large part of that match as well, just David James keeping them in it. What a celebration when Lambert scored though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thereisonlyonemickychannon said:

I have become so pesimistic supporting Saints. Even though we went on a very long undefeated run, I just knew that we are not top draw. So many of those games had terrible moments of play. I still can't like Russell Martin. I want to be proved wrong, but I know I am right! 

Bloody pesimistic see!

You already have been proven wrong.

4 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

That fucking game, honestly the range of emotions we went through that night. I’ll never forget the elation as Rasiak scored our third, I still watch the highlights sometimes just to see how mental we went in the away end when that went in. I still vividly remember Leon Best about 2 minutes after that having the opportunity to square the ball for an aggregate winner instead choosing to hammer it wide instead.

The rain as we left the ground though, not just a bit of drizzle but absolute fucking stair rods. Got back to Southampton at 2.30am, home bed and up for work at 5.30am, understandably I wasn’t in the best mood that day.

Someone else mentioned the 4-1 against Pompey at St Mary’s. What annoys me the most about that game is Pompey had a few players like O’Hara and some other triple barrelled name skate cunt that were banned from playing unless Pompey could prove they could afford to pay their wages. Needless to say the lied about being able to pay, those guys played and scored, and we lost. We had them on the ropes for a large part of that match as well, just David James keeping them in it. What a celebration when Lambert scored though.

Glad I wasn't the only one impacted by that game! Honestly it took a week to get back to normal for me, but even a couple of years on I was still hung up over that game.

Like you say the rollercoaster of emotions - Viafara 'spoiling the party', then Rasiak equalising in the last min.

And of all people, the regular former penalty and free kick taker of Derby (Idiakez), to miss our crucial spot kick. And what pissed me off even more is that Derby went on the following season to be the worst ever team the PL has ever seen. What a waste of time.

Edited by S-Clarke

2 hours ago, Saint Billy said:

It was that shirt tug in the home game that annoyed me.

Definitely Highbury 84 for me, but as a lesser known game, December 1981 I think it was, home to Brighton. If we had won we would go top for the first time ever. We lost 0-2. I was 13 years old and gutted to fook. I'd never seen us top. Didn't have to wait long though as we went top in January 1982 due to so many other games being called off for snow.

After Highbury 84 i pretty much quit school. It messed me up so bad I could not be bothered to go back.

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

You are not alone there ! 

I still apologise to the local land lady for my behaviour that evening.

Opposite end of the spectrum but whenever I go into a certain pub here, I always have to apologise for my reaction to Shane Longs goal at Anfield.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

But not as brilliant as the managers of Leicester, Leeds or Ipswich.

Aren't we two points behind Leeds? Granted that's still behind but it's hardly fair to suggest that he isn't doing a brilliant job because of a two point gap, especially when Leeds and Ipswich managers are seen to be working miracles (justifiability so in terms of Ipswich)

18 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Aren't we two points behind Leeds? Granted that's still behind but it's hardly fair to suggest that he isn't doing a brilliant job because of a two point gap, especially when Leeds and Ipswich managers are seen to be working miracles (justifiability so in terms of Ipswich)

Could Do Better

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Could Do Better

Of course. That'll always be the case though. Again, I don't think it's fair to suggest he isn't doing a brilliant job simply because he isn't doing a perfect one.

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Of course. That'll always be the case though. Again, I don't think it's fair to suggest he isn't doing a brilliant job simply because he isn't doing a perfect one.

I just think that ‘brilliant’ is too strong a word.

13 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Glad I wasn't the only one impacted by that game! Honestly it took a week to get back to normal for me, but even a couple of years on I was still hung up over that game.

Like you say the rollercoaster of emotions - Viafara 'spoiling the party', then Rasiak equalising in the last min.

And of all people, the regular former penalty and free kick taker of Derby (Idiakez), to miss our crucial spot kick. And what pissed me off even more is that Derby went on the following season to be the worst ever team the PL has ever seen. What a waste of time.

it was also because a lot was at stake. We had gone shit or bust to get promoted. Was that the second season after relegation? Either way we all knew if we didn't go up that season it was going to be a long road back and it proved. I know the club were pissed at Burley as he'd been talking about play off all season when they expected us to be going for automatic promotion.

17 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I just think that ‘brilliant’ is too strong a word.

8/10 IMO

1 = Not technically human

2 = Worst manager in the club's history

3 = Awful

4 = Disappointing

5 = Below par

6 = Okay

7 = Really good

8 = Brilliant

9 = Outstanding

10 = Perfect

11 hours ago, Andrew Watson said:

I was totally devastated after that result. However that was the beginning of the end for Lowes hideous regime and Derby got 10 points the whole of the following season and would we have got many more with the awful squad we had at the time.

That season was under 'Let's go Wilde', we'd just splurged our immediate future on a promotion that season. 

Lowe came back in the season following that, when the whole club went to the shit as was expected on the back of that Derby game failure.

11 minutes ago, Turkish said:

it was also because a lot was at stake. We had gone shit or bust to get promoted. Was that the second season after relegation? Either way we all knew if we didn't go up that season it was going to be a long road back and it proved. I know the club were pissed at Burley as he'd been talking about play off all season when they expected us to be going for automatic promotion.

Yeah, second season. We'd screwed up the first year as we stuck with Redknapp and only gave him 90k for Fuller. So that playoff season was our best crack at getting back up, but like you say we all knew what the future would hold should we fail that.

42 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

That season was under 'Let's go Wilde', we'd just splurged our immediate future on a promotion that season. 

Lowe came back in the season following that, when the whole club went to the shit as was expected on the back of that Derby game failure.

Didn't we sink our last pennies into signing Saganowski?

I seem to remember us clambering for the wholee summer to try and find the cash.

10 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Didn't we sink our last pennies into signing Saganowski?

I seem to remember us clambering for the wholee summer to try and find the cash.

We had him on loan second half of that season and he was brilliant and then soon as we signed him he went to shit. We spent £2m on Raskiak that summer who was great first half of the season then didnt play as much after christmas. I think Burnley made about 10 signings, Rudi Skacel and Rasiak, Kelvin Davis, being the big signings then Pele, Viafara who also cost bit of cash. We signed Bradley Wright Phillips with the money we won in some sort of competition, :lol:

50 minutes ago, Turkish said:

We had him on loan second half of that season and he was brilliant and then soon as we signed him he went to shit. We spent £2m on Raskiak that summer who was great first half of the season then didnt play as much after christmas. I think Burnley made about 10 signings, Rudi Skacel and Rasiak, Kelvin Davis, being the big signings then Pele, Viafara who also cost bit of cash. We signed Bradley Wright Phillips with the money we won in some sort of competition, :lol:

BWP will forever be known as the 'Coca-Cola Kid'. It was a Coca-Cola Championship comp, any team could win a 'transfer' under a specific value. All the struggling L2 clubs hated us for that, given that we'd only recently been in the PL, and had just spent £2m on Rasiak prior to it.

Bit embarrassing that! He wasn't too bad, but never really set the English leagues alight.

Edited by S-Clarke

On 22/02/2024 at 11:07, S-Clarke said:

The Derby playoff semi final hit me particularly hard, don't think I went back to work that week. I guess I just knew that it was shit our bust for us that year, and the future was going to be pretty bleak.

I still haven't dried out from the walk back to the car that evening. 

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Coca Cola competition was where the Bradley Wright-Phillips money came from, that team was fucking awful in terms of actually giving a shit though. Remember losing to Watford away in the cup 4-0 where the only player that looked even remotely interested was Surman.

When we lost in the FA Cup Qtr Final vs Norwich. MLT sent off, we were holding on to a 1-0 and Norwich tied it up late, lost Barry Horne to a red card in extra time, held on, held on, and they won it with the last kick.

I was still just a kid but I fucking raged and smashed up a chair and cupboard door.

• Like 1