Saints Accept £1.3m for Andrew Davies

Nexstar

Wilde did nothing but f*ck up, Burley too. How Burley got away with it for so long is down to Wilde amongst others. They ALL have a lot to answer for: Askham & Lowe started ALL THIS, Wilde, Hone, esq. Crouch...

1.3 million - Derisory. Take away agents fees, lay off time and other costs – very poor business (disregarding idiotic baiting comments like from that insignificant Scooby weirdo) and we’ve lost our best player. I truly hope there was a contract clause but I doubt we’ll be graced with much information.

Game, set and match. Reserve team FC will struggle with inexperienced heads against journey men and strong, physical matches. Maybe division one if the agenda, pick us up even cheaper. Especially now we’ve got rid of one of our greatest ball winners and strong tackling/no-nonsense defenders (especially seeing as we’re critically weak in EVERY area, but more so defence) Good business Lowe!

What a sad, SAD day for SFC. How anyone can react positively to this is beyond me – this is the final nail in the coffin and an absolutely ludicrous risk with Svensson (you knew it from the Echo hype instructed by the club) and the frequency & succession of games in this league. Suicide. The bank wants money?! Is this the worn out line we get after every p*ss take decision?! Have the f*ckin directors and shady share holders fund Davies – they’ve made enough from the club (or is the plan to make that little bit more?! Lowe’s axis of evil)

Complete joke! Surman will probably leave too and we’ll be left with Burley’s Blunders on great contracts. That man has a lot to answer for. I hope the late nights out drinking, letting the players party and not train (while out chasing women), were worth it!!

I agree with you in great lines. However, I'm afraid it is not yet the "final" nail.

Ru**rt is not done yet. Give it another week or so and we will have nothing left but the prospect of League 1 (IF we even survive at all)

£1.3million is peanuts, it just can't make sense for us to flog our best player at such a knock down rate.

If Lowe and Wilde had any brains they would have paid Davies wages out of their own pocket, kept a top quality player for a season that could have gone a long way to keeping us up, then flogged him for twice that amount next year.

This deal doesn't make football or financial sense. A short sighted, suicidal descion IMO.

The sale of Davies is in my opinion one of the worst and most disapponting decisions over recent years. The club has disappointed me in the past but it is beyond that now.

The only people that should leave the club are Wilde and Lowe. Let them manage their businesses elsewhere and leave my club alone.

I have imense sympathy for Jan.

Whatever people may think of his ability/credentials he is trying to change SFC,from a team that was so devoid of passion,commitment,energy,skill, and and turn these players into a side that plays some pretty damn fine footie at times.

All with his hands tied behind his back IMO.

Whatever people may think of his ability/credentials he is trying to change SFC,from a team that was so devoid of passion,commitment,energy,skill, and and turn these players into a side that plays some pretty damn fine footie at times.

Agreed. I wonder if he knows what he's walked into?

But he knew this when he took the job. Lowe appointed somebody with that im mind, someone who has experience of bringing youngsters to the next level and somebody who won't rock the boat.

£1.3million is peanuts, it just can't make sense for us to flog our best player at such a knock down rate.

If Lowe and Wilde had any brains they would have paid Davies wages out of their own pocket, kept a top quality player for a season that could have gone a long way to keeping us up, then flogged him for twice that amount next year.

This deal doesn't make football or financial sense. A short sighted, suicidal descion IMO.

They are not going to put their hands in their pockets to pay a player's wages are they?. Buy more shares? Hmmm, perhaps when snapping them up time comes around.

Wouldnt surprise me if he walked b4 christmas - bet he regrets buying himself out of his last contract :(

30% profit on an asset we have only owned for eight months? Really nice bit of business this one by Lord Lowe.

Let's say it again but more slowly this time.... after agent's fees, player's salary, golden hellos, golden goodbyes etc. there is no profit. Now if he had been sold for £3m I might have been tempted.

But he knew this when he took the job. Lowe appointed somebody with that im mind, someone who has experience of bringing youngsters to the next level and somebody who won't rock the boat.

I agree with you completely,but it dosen't diguise the fact that he is still going to endeavour to play the way he thinks best even when the squad is diminishing beyond a reasonable amount of recognised players with talent.

He may well be a "yes" man,but that dosen't mean he is enjoying what is happening around him,he will wan't success,like us.

It does him no good at all being the fall guy for our failings,due to the sale of players,when it is completely out of his hands.

Hence i have sympathy for him.

Let's say it again but more slowly this time.... after agent's fees, player's salary, golden hellos, golden goodbyes etc. there is no profit. Now if he had been sold for £3m I might have been tempted.

Surely he should understand as his puppet master is with the worlds leading

investment bank;)...... honest they are the world leaders:D

Shame to lose him but what can we do in the financial mess were in.

If Thomas is now sold it would be up there with the top 10 dumbest moments of SFC.

1 of the dumbest moments was spending 1m on Thomas!!!

£1.3m is cheap for a decent player like Davies. The club need the money so it makes sense to sell Davies but would have hoped for more money. We now need to get rid of Thomas, Euell, Wright-Phillips and Skacel to reduce the wage bill further.

Guest Hacienda
30% profit on an asset we have only owned for eight months? Really nice bit of business this one by Lord Lowe.

Out of interest, where were the 10,000 extra fans you said would be there on Saturday due to your masters return?

You've yet to answer that one.

Out of interest, where were the 10,000 extra fans you said would be there on Saturday due to your masters return?

You've yet to answer that one.

The 10,000 have returned. It has been known for a long time that Lord Lowe has a personal body of men who number upwards of 10,000 - the 10,000 who left en masse following the night of the long knives - and it was today that they came back to see an exciting, progressive game of total football.

Disappointing that the flat caps who mindlessly supported Crouch's reign of terror could not do the same. Only 7,000 of that contingent returned for the first game of the season. I do not classify that sort of 'fan' as a fan.

The 10,000 have returned. It has been known for a long time that Lord Lowe has a personal body of men who number upwards of 10,000 - the 10,000 who left en masse following the night of the long knives - and it was today that they came back to see an exciting, progressive game of total football.

Disappointing that the flat caps who mindlessly supported Crouch's reign of terror could not do the same. Only 7,000 of that contingent returned for the first game of the season. I do not classify that sort of 'fan' as a fan.

I hope that you`ve your tin hat on!

Scooby you are worse than Sundance or are you Sundance.

Scooby is our new comic relief! Who would have thought it.

Thank you Scooby, I haven't laughed that much in months!!

1 of the dumbest moments was spending 1m on Thomas!!!

£1.3m is cheap for a decent player like Davies. The club need the money so it makes sense to sell Davies but would have hoped for more money. We now need to get rid of Thomas, Euell, Wright-Phillips and Skacel to reduce the wage bill further.

Perhaps it's time to flog everyone, and give the keys to SMS back to the bank. That appears to be the only way for Southampton FC to stop losing money every month.

Lord Lowes Terra Cotta Warriors! Priceless!:rolleyes:

Obviously things have to get worse before they will get better, Lord Lowe knows this and so his plan is to get us relegated as soon as possible so we will progress sooner as well.....

I hope to god we don't get relegated, but it will be interesting to see what Scooby would say in defence of Lowe then.

Well, we know the answer to that, it'll be the same as what Lowe himself will say: "It's all Crouch's fault."

Selling Davies has to be one of the worst decisions in the history of this once great club.

This is the final proof that Lowe has been a total disaster for SFC and his constant meddling and penny pinching will be the straw that breaks the camels back.

The best of the team are being sold ,

corners closed,

Hated Chairman and his poodle in charge with no clue how to run a football team.

And to top it all,every bad decision is blamed on the banks wanting money,although Crouch had the banks onside anyway.

And posters on here wonderwhy SMS is now half full??

Will the last person to leave please turn out the light(unless of course Lowe has already sold the lightbulbs).

Selling Davies has to be one of the worst decisions in the history of this once great club.

This is the final proof that Lowe has been a total disaster for SFC and his constant meddling and penny pinching will be the straw that breaks the camels back.

The best of the team are being sold ,

corners closed,

Hated Chairman and his poodle in charge with no clue how to run a football team.

And to top it all,every bad decision is blamed on the banks wanting money,although Crouch had the banks onside anyway.

And posters on here wonderwhy SMS is now half full??

Will the last person to leave please turn out the light(unless of course Lowe has already sold the lightbulbs).

I think buying Davies was probably a bad decision in the First Place as we had no money.

It is very easy to post comments like this without any constructive alternative.

Edited by John B

I agree with you in great lines. However, I'm afraid it is not yet the "final" nail.

Ru**rt is not done yet. Give it another week or so and we will have nothing left but the prospect of League 1 (IF we even survive at all)

Yep. I dread to think where this club will be in another 7 days time..............

Classic post. Really, what an ultra Lowe-Luvvie comment.

Make it sound like his Lordship is correcting a ghastly error....

If you mean by a Lowe Luvvie somebody with commonsense I would agree.

Mr Lowe seems to be more in touch with reality than some posters from Continental Europe .

It's a shame but hardly unexpected. He'd been playing regularly in Boro's first team, so was obviously on big wages, and I don't think he was really that good - I wouldn't pick him over Svensson and Perry. If you look at some of the disastrous performances in defence that he was part of, (eg the 5-0 away to Sheff Wed), I can't understand why others eulogise about him. We were 12th when he joined us, and 18th when he got crocked. I know he was brave - so was Franny Benali, but this in itself doesn't make him a class defender.

After all the tax,agents fees, players fees and incentive to Stoke to take him off our wage bill we are left with minus. Sorry forgot we get young Pulis and Pericard and other loans during the season no doubt.

how confident of these facts are you

As this appears to be my 100th post (for the second time after many disappeared in the recent move!) I dont want to be too controversial, but I share the views of John B on this thread.

If Andrew Davies really is worth £3million, why has no team come in with an offer at that figure? Since it appears he made noise in the Press himself-or his agent perhaps- other interested parties could have made a counter offer to that from Stoke.

Secondly, did he come from 'Boro with a track record of injuries? I vaguely remember reading a comment posted on TSF. Im uncertain; someone may Know.

High Earner who does not want to be here?:(

What was the point of signing him in the first place..? What a screw up..!
At least the people who screwed up by signing him are no longer at the club, and how stupid it was of them not to see that six months later, Svensson would make a comeback. And letting Davies have a release clause in his contract - how mad is that! Just lucky that we still have Svensson, Perry, Thomas, Wooton, Lancashire, Racine or we could have trouble covering the CB role.

At least the people who screwed up by signing him are no longer at the club, and how stupid it was of them not to see that six months later, Svensson would make a comeback. And letting Davies have a release clause in his contract - how mad is that! Just lucky that we still have Svensson, Perry, Thomas, Wooton, Lancashire, Racine or we could have trouble covering the CB role.

Tongue in cheek?

If not, an all time classic piece of idiocy.

As this appears to be my 100th post (for the second time after many disappeared in the recent move!) I dont want to be too controversial, but I share the views of John B on this thread.

If Andrew Davies really is worth £3million, why has no team come in with an offer at that Since it appears he made noise in the Press himself-or his agent perhaps- other interested parties could have made a counter offer to that from Stoke.

Secondly, did he come from 'Boro with a track record of injuries? I vaguely remember reading a comment posted on TSF. Im uncertain; someone may Know.

High Earner who does not want to be here?:(

Interesting question that .

I truly believe AD is worth something like £3m when you compare what other young British defenders of similar quality go for (Chris Baird for instance) so why are we reportedly selling him for very much less ?

1 - Does he have a clause in his contract that stipulates he can leave for £1m+ ? (if he did his agent could negotiate a higher wage package with his next club to compensate for the low transfer price)

2 - He's been injured for many months now , this would inevitably put many clubs off signing him as their scouts can't see him play or include him in their preseason

3 - At this stage of the season most clubs have their defence for the new season sorted , a limited market means a lower transfer value .

Whatever the reason it looks like it's going to be an extremely bad deal for Southampton Football Club , from both a financial and a footballing point of view .

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE
typo

Fact is, we are disastrously thin at the back, with two ageing slow centre backs, an awful keeper and lightweight full backs. Why are people surprised when we lose? SFC has still got a phobia of defenders. I know, let's sell our best defender and skipper for a pittance. hoorah.

Absolute ******* joke IMO. With the sell on clause which M'boro will no doubt have, and the wages we have paid him since he originally signed, I would be surprised if we actually made a profit on him! A full season behind him would be the difference between a £1.3m player and a £2.5m player minimum (having seen what he has done in so little games).

Absolute disgrace. I know we are in financial dire but getting rid of last years player of the season is too much.

His agent maybe a little gob****e trying to get the player a move but unless the club accepts a bid, he doesnt go anywhere.

We have no reliable (injury) CB's now, god help us if Killer's knee plays up again or Perry or Thomas have injuries!

Anyone who is saying that with Killer we dont need Davies is niave and blind. Killer has played a handful of games having been out for years, it is still early days and I hate to say it but there is still a chance his injury will re-occur!