Switzerland

farawaysaint

Bit disappointing that its Switzerland again, not the most exciting of venues. Hopefully this time they do a game at a "proper" ground and maybe release the details with as much notice as possible. And before anyone says anything, I know, the point of pre-season tours is not to entertain fans.............

Bit disappointing that its Switzerland again, not the most exciting of venues. Hopefully this time they do a game at a "proper" ground and maybe release the details with as much notice as possible. And before anyone says anything, I know, the point of pre-season tours is not to entertain fans.............

then why are you disappointed then..

This makes me laugh, Wolves are going to Ireland for a TRAINING CAMP (so no matches) yet are still running a travel package for their fans - http://www.wolves.co.uk/page/WolvesTravel/0,,10307~2373434,00.html

why would you go over there to watch them train?

I would love us to go on a pre season tour of Ireland (and unlike Wolves actually play a few games), I was in Dublin when Villa were there last season, Temple Bar would be perfect for pre match drinks.

Quite fancy this.

Bit of an update from one of my more clued up pals: http://www.fcbiel-bienne.ch/con/cms/front_content.php?idcat=3

"After many years of interruption with FC Biel on Wednesday, 13 July at 18:30 on the clock Gurzelen another international friendly game. Opponent, the English club Southampton FC, ​​which is just been promoted to the Football League Championship, the second highest national league. By their fans, the Saints' England were referred to by 2005 the Premier League before they alighted, and 2 after four seasons in the Even in the Football League Division One (third highest in league) appeared. From this they have now managed as a table in two of the re-emergence. In the Südengländern once played such famous luminaries as Martin Chivers (1962-68, later with Servette), Peter Osgood (1974-77), Alan Ball (1976-78 and 1981-82), the unforgettable 63-fold International and later national team coach Kevin Keegan (1980-82), the goalie legend Peter Shilton (1982-87) and Alan Shearer (1988-99). As references, they have a runner-up title in 1984 and an FA Cup winner-1976 exhibit (1-0 against Manchester United) as well as three FA Cupfinalteilnahmen (1999/00, 2001/02 and 2002/03)."

I like how good they make us look for a 4-year period at the turn of the century :lol:

yeah they have got confused with our cup final appearances of 1900 and assumed it must be 2000! At least we know when one of the games will be for those planning to travel, shame Saints couldn't announce it as well.

yeah they have got confused with our cup final appearances of 1900 and assumed it must be 2000! At least we know when one of the games will be for those planning to travel, shame Saints couldn't announce it as well.

I think they're waiting for confirmation of the second game (assuming we're only playing two, like last year) before doing so, which makes sense, I think.

Biel is about 100km from Interlaken, where the team was based last year, looks quite easy to get to by train from there as well.

I'm glad we've learned our lesson from last year, where we took on teams who were far too good for us at that time, given Thun were 4 days away from the start of their season and in the top flight. Right at the start of pre-season, you don't really want to be playing against teams who are going to give you the run-around, IMO.

I asked my swiss mate at work about them and this is what he said:

"Mate – it’s a sh!t team in a sh!t place

Never liked the place or the people – mostly went for ice hockey as back in the days they were in lower divisions in football and better in ice hockey…was always a lively place (if you get what I mean) and still is right now in ice hockey – don’t know much about their football.

Basically in 2nd Swiss division right now. Think last year they beat FC Basel in the one of the rounds of the Swiss Cup, was one big achievement for them.

Yes game will be at their home ground

Town is a mixture of French and german speaking, nothing much to do there either, but not far from Bern.

That’s my opinion really…

"

I think they're waiting for confirmation of the second game (assuming we're only playing two, like last year) before doing so, which makes sense, I think.

Biel is about 100km from Interlaken, where the team was based last year, looks quite easy to get to by train from there as well.

I'm glad we've learned our lesson from last year, where we took on teams who were far too good for us at that time, given Thun were 4 days away from the start of their season and in the top flight. Right at the start of pre-season, you don't really want to be playing against teams who are going to give you the run-around, IMO.

FC Thun were playing in the group stages of the Champions league in 05

Any Surrey or London based saints intending on going drop me a message. Might take a little jaunt out there to offer my advice to Nigel and check out our new marquee signing(s) to replace Oxo.. At present return flights LGW to Basle are around £125 but until i know the fixtures and the dates/timings it could be better to fly/stay elsewhere and travel a bit round Swisserland...

Totally disagree with this view. we won't learn a thing playing the likes of Sweden's under 16 lumberjacks, Eastleigh and Farnborough - waste of time as has been proved in previous years.

Totally disagree with this view. we won't learn a thing playing the likes of Sweden's under 16 lumberjacks, Eastleigh and Farnborough - waste of time as has been proved in previous years.

Nor will you learn anything by playing against opposition who will completely outplay you on both ability and fitness right from the outset, as happened in Switzerland last summer. What should be happening - and has generally always happened every pre-season other than last year - is that you build up the games against better opposition as the pre-season period progresses.

Don't forget we've also got pre season games against a prem team (45 mins), a la liga team (45 mins), West Brom (prem) and Yeovil (lge 1).

I'm with Steve on this, it's pointless playing teams that are ahead of us in terms ability and fitness this early in the summer.

Nor will you learn anything by playing against opposition who will completely outplay you on both ability and fitness right from the outset, as happened in Switzerland last summer. What should be happening - and has generally always happened every pre-season other than last year - is that you build up the games against better opposition as the pre-season period progresses.

This. Switezerland should be about fitness, team bonding etc. Not playing chase shadow against teams that will outplay us.

And when was the last time we had a decent start to a season? Training camp with a couple of games over in Switzerland to get the players back into it (don't overwork them...!) and then back home to face decent opposition. Personally I think it's a good pre-season setup so far.

The games in Switzerland were a bit silly last year, as people have said Thun were close to full match sharpness and Sochaux qualified for Europe in the French league this season so this time around lets hope it will be organised to suit our needs a bit more.

And with Nigel's medical/physio background I can't see Lambo (or anyone else) coming back with dodgy injuries.

probably a reserve side I'd guess.

No probably about it, the article says...

A Southampton XI

Saints have these games every summer for the reserves/development team/under 18's and people complain Saints aren't testing themselves.

Edited by Matthew Le God

• 4 weeks later...
large.jpg

I spy...

Davis

Lambert

Fonte

Harding

Butterfield

Chaplow

Lallana

Holmes

Connolly

Forte

Forecast

Seaborne

Martin

Harvey

The eight others are hard to pick out.

How on earth did you spot Chaplow? ;)

large.jpg

I spy...

Davis

Lambert

Fonte

Harding

Butterfield

Chaplow

Lallana

Holmes

Connolly

Forte

Forecast

Seaborne

Martin

Harvey

The eight others are hard to pick out.

Bad move taking them to Switzerland, IMO. Poor feckers are going to be gutted when they have to swap that marvellous vista for Albion Towers and the rusty gas thing.