Taking kids to football

SO16_Saint

A bit of general advice from those who have experience.

My son, 4 1/2 years old, is getting more and more in to football. He likes to have a bit of a kick around now, and whenever he sees a saints shirt he says "look, daddys football team" :)

Question is, is this pre-season too young to take him? He will be 5 in November. Am thinking perhaps a bot too early, maybe NEXT pre-season friendly?

Any thoughts / comments?

I've taken my boy to Old Trafford the last two seasons. He's 5 now and he loved it although he was a bit scared when everyone went bat **** mental because we scored. :lol:

They tend to get a little bored but 4 1/2 is a good age to get him into it.

We have won every game I've taken my boy too. :)

I took my then just-turned 5 year old twins to the BL friendly back in 2014, and they did ok. They did much better at the Espanyol one last season as they were a bit older, and at SKD's testimonial the other night they were joining in with some of the clapping and stuff. I also took one of the twins (the one who's into football the most) to the Ipswich FA Cup game last season, which was probably the loudest in terms of noise/atmosphere, and he was ok with it. Bit nervy at times, but then mine are pretty nervy kids anyway.

Now they're 6 they're able to get into it much more, and I've found the level of interest they have in football really ramped up from age 4 to now. We also took my 4 1/2 year old the other night, which was his first St Marys experience, but he ended up on the tablet after 30mins, even though the game was actually pretty good and he does love playing football.

I've never had an issue with any bad language there, but then I don't sit them in the Northam end! I'll just cross that bridge when I come to it. I'd say 4 is too young for them to appreciate the event properly, or as we'd want them to, but it's not too young to actually take them in. I'll take mine to the friendly in the summer I expect, but a PL game will probably be a couple of years away.

Take him on his own and not with a couple of his friends ! :lol:

Tuesday night we had six brats, and i use that word deliberately, in two groups of three in the two rows directly in front and they spent the whole game mucking about, throwing paper planes (yes seriously) and generally being complete nightmares who hardly noticed that big green pitch thing in front of them. Mother and father just sat there taking no notice whatsoever and let them do whatever they wanted.

I started taking my grandson to football this season when he was 4-5 years old in the Northam Stand. I thought it was going to be nightmare, didn't think he would settle for 90 mins or be running up and down the stairs or wanting the loo or something to eat/drink every 5 mins but that was not the case. He just watches the game intently, moans when people get in his way, sings all the songs and absolutely loves it and asks really intelligent questions about the game. He has been to 5 games (also not seen us lose) this season the last one being the last game of the season, he couldn't wait to get into the ground so we were in there at 215 and he watched the players in their warm up. He keeps asking me when he can go again so have got him a season ticket for next season next to me in the Northam. The only downside is that he doesn't like the pre match drinks in the pub and just wants to get to the ground. I presume the next step will be waiting for the players to arrive for autographs etc.

Obviously every child will not be same, there is a young boy who sits behind us with his dad who shows no interest in the game whatsoever, I think he just slept through the last game of the season.

Edited by ladysaint

I took mine first time when he was just turned 6. (2012 season). I had successfully battled to keep him from the clutches of Chelsea (as we used to live near the ground) and he was 100% Saints. He did once ask me whether he could/should support Chelsea - very kind of him to ask, but he was told about the ways of the world and that was that.

Anyway, he struggled through the first few games. He loved football but sitting there for the best part of 2 hours was a struggle. My advice would be to take him early, and also take something to keep him entertained if he can't concentrate the full time on the footie. His boredom (or lack of attention) only lasted that season and now he eats, sleeps and lives football (and very boring it is too!!). But all kids are different - some will take to it like a duck to water, others won't. I guess the only thing I would say is to let him do what he wants. If he wants to play on your mobile when the game is on, let him rather than force him to do something he doesn't want to do in case he gets put off.

Now pushing 10, my boy gets disappointed when his grandfather uses the ST. His bedroom is like one big SFC shop. Flags, posters, duvets, pillow cases, cups, pens, scarves. So I've done my paternal duty and have created a Saint. I tried on my daughter, but she must have her mother's blood, and refuses to go to a game. (Took her to 3 games in the late 90s - all away in London - and lost all 3 so that was that).

Maybe try him out at a pre-season friendly.

I was fortunate in being able to start my nipper off at reserve games at The Dell. He seemed to like it so he went to his first senior game when he was 6.

I think that we beat Ipswich 4-2 with a penalty and a sending off so it was quite an eventful match. I did warn him that not every game would be as exciting but, nearly 24 years later, he's still going.

Mine started going at 5. I'd say a friendly or a cup game is a good way to introduce them,

Likely they'll be fascinated by the crowd and atmosphere more than the football at first but after a few games they'll get more and more into the game itself.

Unlike the chap above I do not let mine play on my phone during the game. If they got a bit bored I would make sure I spent time chatting to them about the game, the crowd, the number of players wearing green boots etc etc. Anything to keep their attention with what is going on.

took my lad to first game in 2005 2-0 win v Liverpool when he was 5 and a half, gradually took him to more and more games and since he was 10 in 2009 (league One) he has had a season ticket

he us seen us slide down the league and climb back up and loved every minute of it.

would say 5 or 6 is good age to start

Took my lad from age 6 to mostly away games as we live up north. Secret for me was a bag of chewy sweets for first half and another bag the second. He enjoyed watching the crowd mostly and can remember an inflatable Spiderman with a Saints shirt on it at Blackburn. Most games he would say to me "That man said the 'S' word", "That man said the 'F' word" and "That man said the 'F' and the 'S' word!". He's 22 now and living in Oz and gutted that he's missed SKD10. So *pats myself on the back* I did good.

thanks everyone... pretty much mirroring my thoughts on it all. May see what games are going on this pre-season but if not, definitely try a league / FA Cup game. will have to obviously get this sanctioned by the Boss, too.... :)

I'd say 6/7 - took mine when he just turned 7 and that seemed about right as he stayed interested during the whole game. Used to do 2 or 3 games a season as we have a 200 mile round trip but last season we upgraded to season tickets. Brilliant seeing him grow up as a true saints fan when all his mates are basically supporting the big London clubs.

It's been fun watching him play football with his mates in his saints kits - back in the L1 days people would say "who's Lallana?" etc.......which soon changed of course.

Mine started going at 5. I'd say a friendly or a cup game is a good way to introduce them,

Likely they'll be fascinated by the crowd and atmosphere more than the football at first but after a few games they'll get more and more into the game itself.

Unlike the chap above I do not let mine play on my phone during the game. If they got a bit bored I would make sure I spent time chatting to them about the game, the crowd, the number of players wearing green boots etc etc. Anything to keep their attention with what is going on.

Spot on advice. I started taking my lad at 5 to the Dell, he had a season ticket with his older sister in the section with no adults. He did fine. We have both had a season ticket at St.Marys ever since and we go on football weekends to watch other games abroad. I started taking my three grandchildren at the same age, two are now season ticket holders and if I can get a another place in the family centre all three will be.

My nipper has his first St at four and has been to Wembley to watch England Camp nou to watch Barca and a few away games including sheff united away , hes ten this year and is more clued up about football than when I was in my early twenties haha! Get them started early imo

I started taking my son this season, he's 6. First game was in the Northam end one couple of season tickets from my family. I was a bit worried about the swearing but I just ignored it. When my son pointed it out to me I just said 'yes they are using naughty words, but you don't have to use them' which satisfied him.

Last two games I bought tickets in the Chapel end and tbh I found there was more swearing going on there than the Northam end. (Also a lot less singing which annoyed me) - I'll be going back to the Northam end next season.

My son pays attention most of the time but, at 6 years old I'm not expecting him to be riveted to the game for 90 minutes plus injury time. I've found that the further from the pitch the seats are, the less he gets into the game - at palace we were right up in row OO and he spent most of the second half playing on my phone.

On a side note, talking about Chelsea, my son lives with his mum up near London and the football club at his school is affiliated to them. I'm wasn't too bothered until he started going on about how Chelsea are the best whereupon I discovered that the staff had all been encouraging the kids to support Chelsea. They didn't enjoy the discussion they had with me after I found that out. I'd have said the same had I been a Chelsea fan. Cheeky sods.

Took my 3 1/2 year old to SKD10... she enjoyed the experience but (as predicted) had no interest in the game. Although she liked seeing the players and the Saints mascots. The main problem was that she didn't like the noise (it was relatively quiet for a football game). I wouldn't take her to a competitive game for a while yet.. pre-season friendly?... maybe.

Sorry Whelk...........My Girls went to the last pre season game at the Dell aged 5 & 6 the youngest was quite happy just looking about taking it all in the eldest was a bit more interested, their next game was the very first league game at SMS v Chelsea, the youngest drifted in and out of watching but just loved looking at all the people, the eldest was right into it for very long stretches.

Click on all those years the eldest just switches straight into that slightly detached state of watching football, the youngest will still often give us the low down on goings on in amongst the away fans literally out of the blue.

Just be prepared for the mixed emotion of when you know for certain they are hooked, my eldest then 9 years old, Saints v Pompey under the lights in the League Cup, Pompey chimes go up, Saints fans respond with gusto, out of the corner of my eye I see a little finger pointing at the away fans, turn a bit more and she is stood on her seat slap bang in the middle of the Family stand, belting out "F off Pompey, Pompey F off"!!!!! Half of me wanting to hide with embarrassment, the other half close to exploding with pride.

Took my boy to his first game this season at Sunderland away, back in November. He was still 3 then. We were at the back. At the end the saints fans around us sang 'it coz of you, Southampton won because of you' to him. He looked a little scared at first with saints fans pointing and singing at him, but soon realised all was fine. He loved it.

My 14yo lad has been going since he was 5/6ish. We only do away games now where which he's also been doing since 6yo. He's gone from standing on his seat to see to now looking over my head.

He's always loved it since the word go and it was about the right age to first go. He's been from Plymouth to Newcastle and Soton to Carlisle and loves the fact that he's the only Saint in his Stafford school and is considered a "proper" fan.

It really depends on the kid . I've got 4 and they've all come with me since they're were 5, but have been interested in the actual match at different ages. My youngest is a girl and she enjoyed the pub, the food and the atmosphere , but as soon as we kicked off, wanted to go home. She's 15 now and doesn't bother anymore . The 3 boys now ranging from 29-16 still love the game , but again matured as a fan at different ages . The 16 year old has been able to concentrate , and enjoy the game from about 5 , but the other 2 were 10/11 before they stopped being a bit of a pain . The first couple of seasons were home games only . He started coming away since the Forest relegation game and apart from the odd occasion when he couldn't really see ( due to the standing ) has been fine . He did have the annoying habit of shouting " shoot" any time a Saints player got the ball in their half but other than that he's been fine . Having older brothers obviously got him into it at an early age .

My advise would be to take yours to a league and see how he is. If he's not ready for it ,he's not ready for it and I'd leave it for a bit . There's nothing wrong with dipping in and dipping out of it until he's hooked .

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

I took my youngest daughter to her first game when she was 5. It was the last game of the season 2004-05 and it was when we were in freefall. My wife asked me why, so I said I wanted to take her before there wasn't a football club left!!!!! She loved it, all of the pagentry of the last day and going on the pitch, and the 'Pie and a Pint' at half time that I told her was tradition, (which meant a Hotdog and Hot Chocolate for her, Coffeee and Pie for me). It was at the time there was that Aviva add on TV with Paul Whitehouse as the Plymouth united fan, and my daughter was singing 'Green Army, Green Army.'

She still goes occasionally now, and still enjoys it.

My lad has been to Chelsea, Liverpool, Leicester, west brim and manure away this season as well as 6 home games. He is 5 soon, I have just purchased him his first season ticket!! He does not really understand football too much at the moment but loves coming. It's a great time and a great thing to do with your son. You and he will love the bonding time , and don't worry about rowdy behaviour and bad language, I feel it prepares them for real life. Just wish my old man had done it for me!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took my eldest son to the pre-season friendlies from the age of 4/5, he had his first ST last year at the age of 7. My youngest went to the friendlies and Europa games at 5 and a few games at the end of last season, he has just turned 6 and he is now a ST holder from next season.

This is the best age for them to be life long fans. I would advise taking a drink and snacks or end up spending a fortune on hotdogs at half time. My boys love it and get fully engaged and singing along, my eldest does pick up language but he knows what he hears at football stays at football. Its great to see the passion in them.

Some kids around us are a pain, had a football team behind us last season, different kids every game and they were a bloody pain. A girl probably 8/9 sat next to us, only came to a half the games spends most of the time playing with a doll or an ipad, not sure why her dad bothers.

I took my son at 3 and half I took sweets and iPad to distract him at times, 2 years on and he has been about 30 times now at home and loves it so much we went to Villa away for his first away game this season.

I think prepare for 2-3 games that he will watch maybe 40-60 mins then after that he will be okay, it helps if he gets favourite players, my son loved Cork and Mane first season he watched us, now loves Forster and Mane.

Also the fact he likes playing football will help him, my son has got so much better from watching Saints and MOTD, he trys to copy the goals players score and watches how to do tricks, he has gone from being one of the worse players in his class at 3/4 to one of the best at 5/6 because he has developed a footballing brain and not just kicking the ball and bunching up with the others.

Also the fact he likes playing football will help him, my son has got so much better from watching Saints and MOTD, he trys to copy the goals players score and watches how to do tricks, he has gone from being one of the worse players in his class at 3/4 to one of the best at 5/6 because he has developed a footballing brain and not just kicking the ball and bunching up with the others.

Good job you didn't have to take him whilst Branfoot was our manager or he'd never have grown out of the kick and run, high in the air tactics.

• 1 year later...
A bit of general advice from those who have experience.

My son, 4 1/2 years old, is getting more and more in to football. He likes to have a bit of a kick around now, and whenever he sees a saints shirt he says "look, daddys football team" :)

Question is, is this pre-season too young to take him? He will be 5 in November. Am thinking perhaps a bot too early, maybe NEXT pre-season friendly?

Any thoughts / comments?

So how did it go?