Sir David Beckham!!!

CB Saint

WTF

Apparently there rumours circulating that he will be knighted in the new year honours. Seeing as it took redgrave 5 gold medals at consecutive olympics to get his, what has david beckham done to warrant one? This smacks of a pr stunt in the same vein as the "cool britannia" parties blair threw in th early days of his reign.

well played I say

played at the highest level of sport, played for some of the most illustrious clubs in the world...in the face of un precedented media scrutiny and a devoted family man

does massive amounts for sport in England, helped with the olympics and works tirelessly for charity..

when it could be easier to retire in LA and never be seen again

in a world when our national game has NO other role models...he stands head and shoulders above anyone..

if getting 5 gold medals was the only bench mark..the no one will ever get one again

les ferdinand and alan shearer have been knighted..yet have achieved no where near what beckham has or does

fair play becks

well played I say

played at the highest level of sport, played for some of the most illustrious clubs in the world...in the face of un precedented media scrutiny and a devoted family man

does massive amounts for sport in England, helped with the olympics and works tirelessly for charity..

in a world when our national game has NO other role models...he stands head and shoulders above anyone..

if getting 5 gold medals was the only bench mark..the no one will ever get one again

les ferdinand and alan shearer have been knighted..yet have achieved no where near what beckham has or does

fair play becks

Spot on sir!

well played I say

played at the highest level of sport, played for some of the most illustrious clubs in the world (acheiving little since leaving Man U)...in the face of un precedented media scrutiny (which he courted) and a devoted family man (Rebecca Loos)

does massive amounts for sport in England, helped with the olympics (failed with the world cup, both as player, psuedo coach and the bid) and works tirelessly for charity.. (I'll give you this one)

if getting 5 gold medals was the only bench mark..the no one will ever get one again - fair point

les ferdinand and alan shearer have been knighted..yet have achieved no where near what beckham has or does(two wrongs or three

don't make a right)

fair play becks

See above

See above

messi has failed with the world cup....he was utterly terrible a few months ago..yet he is lauded as the greatest player in this generation.

football is a team game....

err, won the title with real madrid....something they have not done a great deal since...considering they play in a league with two teams

rebecca loos..yeah, wasnt papaer trash at all was it..

if sir les and sir alan...are sirs..why not beckham...he is far greater than those in the game alone

I really dont get some people (your opinion will be echoed by so many)

when we have a real special talent/icon/role model for kids...we do nothing but slate them and talk about what they cant do....

I never appreciated what England fans really thought of beckham at wembley....until I went and the reception he gets/got was unreal..the effort and desire he puts in for club and country is remarkable...despite people wanting him dead after france 98...

sure he is not perfect..no one is..even the great zidane had flaws (flying head butt in the world cup final ffs)

Edited by Thedelldays

Dont understand this one, i am a big Beckham fan, i think he is a smashing bloke and have played for three of the world biggest clubs and he has been a great, if over rated player for England. The reality is though as a footballer has he achieved anymore than say Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes or for that matter Gary Neville. If in years to come he has been a great ambassador for football, raises load of cash for charity etc after a great career as a player, like Bobby Charlton, then fair play, but so far, IMO he doesn't deserve it just yet.

Would that technically make Posh a Lady?

PS Agree him and Andrew Flintoff deserve it in respect of currentish sporting stars.

Why does Flintoff??! Again i am a Freddie fan and again this is as a bloke and as a sportsman but he had one great series where he got p*ssed up for a month aferwards, what else has he achieved? Why are they any more deserving than Joe Calzaghie? World champion for 11 years and unbeaten for 40 odd fights and remains Britains only ever unbeaten world champion, beating some great fighters on the way and and everyone put in front of him. If any current sportsman deserves a Knighthood based purely on sporting performance it is him.

Beckham is a genuine sporting icon and the work he puts in off the field puts the vast majority to shame.

In that game against Greece in 1991 he put in the best individual performance, for 90mins, I've ever seen from an English player. He really wasn't going to miss out on the World Cup finals.

If the rest of his generation had but in the same amount of pride, passion and commitment perhaps they would have lived up to their billing of "golden".

He, IMHO, certainly deserves a knighthood.

well played I say

fair play becks

This!!!

He deserves nothing for playing football.

However he DOES deserve it for what he has done in the past years and what his (self achieved) fame has allowed him to do.

The work with the Olympic Bid, his work for the World Cup Bid (hell he deserves the Knighthood simply for having to MEET Jack Warner)

His inspriation to millions (of non-sceptical) kids around the world

His undying devotion to the England Cause and always giving his best as opposed to some of the prima donnas who went to South Africa.

IMHO his Lifetime Achievement Award at Sports Personality of the Year was a bit premature, but the Knighthood, yes it is deserved, and not simply because he won a few football matches.

Oh, BTW I don't like him one bit but have come to admire his devotion to the cause of more than just football for Team England & Team UK

And his wife is still too skinny even though Brett Ormerod sh@gged her and his brats just have pikey names.

Agree Turkish.

But as noted above the bar has been set low by Hoy and Holmes etc... So why not? Based on that criteria shouldn't have Ben Ainsley got knighted?

Calzaghie is a good shout, only ever defeated by NOTW.

For me Calzaghe is the pinnicle of sporting excellence which all others should aspire to. We love an unlucky loser or a trier, but fail to appeciate true brilliane. Calzaghe is Britains only ever unbeaten world champion, world champion for 11 years and beat everyone put in front of him and never ducked a challenge, even Jeff "left hook" Lacy, who was dubbed the new Mike Tyson and was supposed to beat him up inside of 5 rounds, well Joe gave him a boxing lesson that night and destroyed him over 12 rounds. I was a big Cazaghe fan since the early days when he beat Robin Reid and Eubank. If anyone deserves a knighthood based on sporting achievement alone then it is him but he was overlooked by the media for most of his career so it's no surpise that this continues now.

What he did as a footballer, and what any player does as a footballer, does not deserve a knighthood. Similarly what any sportsman achieves at sport doesn't deserve a knighthood. Similarly again personal achievements in any field doesn't deserve a knighthood.

My view is that knighthoods should be given to people who do things for others. In this respect Beckham has been an enthusiastic ambassador for the olympic and world cup bids and i'm sure he's done a lot more besides. On this basis I think he should be getting a knighthood in 20 years time if he's still doing the same things, but not now because I don't think he's done enough.

I wrote to the palace a while back, and received a reply, concerning my request for a knighthood to be given to the members of the public that confronted and tackled the terrorists at Glasgow airport. In the letter back they told me a knighthood wasn't approriate for this, but if you do a google you will see that they were honoured with either a cbe, mbe or some such honour. Maybe that was thanks to my letter...

What he did as a footballer, and what any player does as a footballer, does not deserve a knighthood. Similarly what any sportsman achieves at sport doesn't deserve a knighthood. Similarly again personal achievements in any field doesn't deserve a knighthood.

My view is that knighthoods should be given to people who do things for others. In this respect Beckham has been an enthusiastic ambassador for the olympic and world cup bids and i'm sure he's done a lot more besides. On this basis I think he should be getting a knighthood in 20 years time if he's still doing the same things, but not now because I don't think he's done enough.

I wrote to the palace a while back, and received a reply, concerning my request for a knighthood to be given to the members of the public that confronted and tackled the terrorists at Glasgow airport. In the letter back they told me a knighthood wasn't approriate for this, but if you do a google you will see that they were honoured with either a cbe, mbe or some such honour. Maybe that was thanks to my letter...

I agree with all of what you say in this, Knighthoods are given out far to easily these days IMO. Elton John for example FFS! But seeing as how these days they are given out for personal gain and sporting achievement i still dont think Beckham deserves one, just for this, at the end of the day he was not part of a successful England team ever, unlike other football knights Charlton, Hurst and Moore. If in 20 years even 10 years time he is still doing all his other work then fair enough, but not now. As i mentioned above, if they are giving them out for Sporting achievement, then the only person who deserves on at the moment is Joe Calzaghe.

Apart from his indiscretion i think he is a good role model for kids and conducts himself well as an ambassador for football.He tried to help the England team at the last world cup with advice and training(though that was a waste of time),also he has set up academies for youngsters across the world.

Why not give him an award?People have had one for doing far less.

For me Calzaghe is the pinnicle of sporting excellence which all others should aspire to. We love an unlucky loser or a trier, but fail to appeciate true brilliane. Calzaghe is Britains only ever unbeaten world champion, world champion for 11 years and beat everyone put in front of him and never ducked a challenge, even Jeff "left hook" Lacy, who was dubbed the new Mike Tyson and was supposed to beat him up inside of 5 rounds, well Joe gave him a boxing lesson that night and destroyed him over 12 rounds. I was a big Cazaghe fan since the early days when he beat Robin Reid and Eubank. If anyone deserves a knighthood based on sporting achievement alone then it is him but he was overlooked by the media for most of his career so it's no surpise that this continues now.

I just watched the Lacey fight for the first time. Amazing performance by Calzaghe. Somehow, although I was aware of him, his career passed me by compared to Benn, Eubank and Hatton. Its not true to say he's not been recognised though. Calzaghe was given an MBE early on and later 'promoted' to a CBE which is just one knotch below a knighthood. Most knighthoods are lifetime achievement awards and very rarely given to people in their 30s. Maybe he will get it yet.

well played I say

fair play becks

Right this is new territory for me. I agree with one of delldays posts. What happens now?

I just watched the Lacey fight for the first time. Amazing performance by Calzaghe. Somehow, although I was aware of him, his career passed me by compared to Benn, Eubank and Hatton. Its not true to say he's not been recognised though. Calzaghe was given an MBE early on and later 'promoted' to a CBE which is just one knotch below a knighthood. Most knighthoods are lifetime achievement awards and very rarely given to people in their 30s. Maybe he will get it yet.

The fundamental problem with Boxing is that their fights are all on Sky or other forms of Pay TV, with highlights very rarely shown on TV that the masses can watch.

Is Lennox Lewis a Knight yet? or even Sir Frank?

On the charity side of Beckham PLC

http://www.looktothestars.org/celebrity/49-david-beckham

Vs Joe

http://www.joecalzaghe.com/charity.aspx

Again, the simple answer really is that Brand Beckham is global, and Joe needs to get into the Unicef/UN circuit to speed up his climb to a deserved recognition

His award won't be simply for the football IF he gets one

The thing that people forget about that LAcy fight isthat at the time Lacy was the next big thing, at the time everyone was saying he wil destroy Joe and when it came to it Joe gave him a lesson in boxing, Lacy never recovered from that, much like Tyson his indestructable aura was gone. It wasn't until later in his career and specifically after that fight that Calzaghe got the recognition he deserved, IMO opinion he was an incredible boxer, it's rare for a fighter to go a whole career unbeaten, even rarer for 11 years of this to be as world champion.

He should turn it down on the grounds that it is an honour in the name of the British Empire, which was built on years of slavery, rape and brutality. An Empire that no longer exists, either. How about they make up a new name for all of these honours? Or just award people with the Order of Merit or the Order of the Companions of Honour. Perhaps even Knight of the Commonwealth?

Ref Calzaghe

Frank Warren in his autobiography was quite scathing of him, reckoned he could have been a lot better than he was, pulled out of fights for quite small reasons, and didn't fight his opponents when they were at their prime.

I've read that too and also read Calzaghes book, personally i think Warren has a grudge against him because in the early days he wanted Joe to sack his dad as his trainer and go to one of his. At the end of the day 11 years as world champion speaks for itself and beating Eubank in his prime to win the title the later on Lacy, kessler, Hopkins and Jones plus the others weren't mugs, to ame two, Byron Mitchell and Jiminez were good fighters, although admitedly Jones was past his best but he destroyed him. You can only beat what is in front of you. to have a 46-0 win record is amazing, how can you improve on that?

Edited by Turkish

The thing that people forget about that LAcy fight isthat at the time Lacy was the next big thing, at the time everyone was saying he wil destroy Joe and when it came to it Joe gave him a lesson in boxing, Lacy never recovered from that, much like Tyson his indestructable aura was gone. It wasn't until later in his career and specifically after that fight that Calzaghe got the recognition he deserved, IMO opinion he was an incredible boxer, it's rare for a fighter to go a whole career unbeaten, even rarer for 11 years of this to be as world champion.

Its not all about the sport or the career they excelled in though is it. No doubting he was a great boxer, one of the best, but what has he done since?

Has he given up a lot of his time to help future stars progress in the world of boxing? Has he freely given up his time to charity work? Is he constantly championing sport in his country?

I dont know the answers to these questions, but if he is doing these things then yes he deserves a knighthood.

Its not all about the sport or the career they excelled in though is it. No doubting he was a great boxer, one of the best, but what has he done since?

Has he given up a lot of his time to help future stars progress in the world of boxing? Has he freely given up his time to charity work? Is he constantly championing sport in his country?

I dont know the answers to these questions, but if he is doing these things then yes he deserves a knighthood.

NO he isn't but the point is we were discussing being given knighthoods based on sporting merits alone, like Kelly Holmes & Hoy. Why are they any more deserving than Calzaghe?

NO he isn't but the point is we were discussing being given knighthoods based on sporting merits alone, like Kelly Holmes & Hoy. Why are they any more deserving than Calzaghe?

No they weren't. You could maybe argue that Steve Redgrave was in a different category for winning in four successive Olympics, but not them.

Holmes & Hoy have been great ambassadors for their sport...something Calzaghe can only dream off with his face on the front cover of newspapers snorting drugs up his nose !!

yep, agreed.

As far as Holmes and Hoy and probably a few more are concerned, purely on sporting acheivement they are not even close in comparison to Calzaghe.

I know that Holmes does a bit for kids in athletics, not sure about Hoy, but I am sure being a coke head has not helped Calzaghe's reputation.

A good ambassador for British sport, certainly, but a knighthood? He has been England captain, done lots of charity work etc. But what has he done that's truly great? Winning the champions league in 1999 is about the biggest achievement I can think of. Other than that he has lead England through 2 very mediocre world cups and been part of a very mediocre Real Madrid team.

Agree with Delldays, he totally deserves it. I don't know what you have to do to become a knight, but I think in modern day Britain, being a legend in the national sport, banging a spice girl and doing **** loads of charity work more than qualifies. Steve Redgrave was only good at a sport no one gives a **** about.

If true, I think he thouroughly deserves it. An icon around the world. Definitely the most famous English sportsman in the world; one of the most famous Englishmen around the world; tireless work for numerous charities; the face of English and British sport (okay, a failed World Cup bid - which was always on the cards - but also a winning Olympic one).

If this rumour is not true, it's only a matter of time until it does happen.

I do not agree with any of these so called honours, to my mind I meet more people desrving of our gratitude when I trawl the charity shops of shirley than within these lists.

What gives with all this calling people 'sir' and 'ma'am', seriously, what does it mean and why do we do it?

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Lady Victoria sounds like an up market prostitute.

If you say so Stanley.

However, the wife of a Knight takes the title of Lady , hence in this instance: Lady Beckham.

If he was ennobled and became Baron Beckham of Sawbridgeworth, then she would be Lady Victoria.

yep, agreed.

As far as Holmes and Hoy and probably a few more are concerned, purely on sporting acheivement they are not even close in comparison to Calzaghe.

I know that Holmes does a bit for kids in athletics, not sure about Hoy, but I am sure being a coke head has not helped Calzaghe's reputation.

Getting their Lordships to snort a few lines might liven the place up.

A good ambassador for British sport, certainly, but a knighthood? He has been England captain, done lots of charity work etc. But what has he done that's truly great? Winning the champions league in 1999 is about the biggest achievement I can think of. Other than that he has lead England through 2 very mediocre world cups and been part of a very mediocre Real Madrid team.[/

]He's been well paid for doing so, as well.

I'm pretty sure he was'nt involved with the World Cup failure not to have been well compensated. Not bad for a one-legged footballer who can't head a ball and, IMO, is/was grossly over-rated on the strength a lucky goal from the half-way line, and a free kick against Greece, of the sort Le Tiss turned out on a regular basis. Plus, of course, all the sychophantic benefits of PR. Give him an OBE,(Other B-----s Efforts) and his wife a smile transplant.

A good ambassador for British sport, certainly, but a knighthood? He has been England captain, done lots of charity work etc. But what has he done that's truly great? Winning the champions league in 1999 is about the biggest achievement I can think of. Other than that he has lead England through 2 very mediocre world cups and been part of a very mediocre Real Madrid team.

Mediocre Madrid? They won the league? Unless beating Barcelona is mediocre.. As for world cups.. That is a team event. Messi and ronaldo are seen as the greatest players on earth.. More so with Messi.. Remind me his world cup triumphs?? Messi wad truely shocking this summer