Unprofessional BBC Match Report

Crab Lungs

Just a quickie.

I try not to be much of a whinger and have a persecution complex but I thought this was a bit out of order;

Aston Villa slipped into the bottom three in controversial circumstances as Jay Rodriguez's blatant first-half dive helped Southampton to a valuable win.

Is that not a bit strong, or do I detect some ill-feeling in the comment?

really poor coverage, they also made more out of Rodriguez announcing he was frustrated at not getting starts the day before on the website.

606 coverage is no better, fair play to the Saints fan having a go at that sarcastic pair, (Savage and that other Muppet) on there just now about the bias towards ref's decision.

Even my Villa supporting mate agreed, it was not a dive. Rodriguez loses his footing under a challenge and did not make ANY attempt to appeal or claim it as a penalty. I don't think it was a penalty either but today, unlike other days, we got the rub of the green so I figure we should take it with good grace and accept that next week it may well be us who are on the end of a dodgy decision (Turnbull's handball in the Chelsea game anybody?) ...

Even my Villa supporting mate agreed, it was not a dive. Rodriguez loses his footing under a challenge and did not make ANY attempt to appeal or claim it as a penalty. I don't think it was a penalty either but today, unlike other days, we got the rub of the green so I figure we should take it with good grace and accept that next week it may well be us who are on the end of a dodgy decision (Turnbull's handball in the Chelsea game anybody?) ...

Ramirez goal against Arsenal disallowed for nothing for example.

I'm waiting for the replay on MOTD. Everyone around me at Villa Park today was mystified by the call for the penalty... yet delighted!

There is a link on the post match relation thread. No contact at all. Not a pen. Adkins is right though, if he didn't move his leg then there wold have been. :lol:

Watched Garth Crooks and Martin Keown throw there toys out of the pram about it on Final Score while watching the match

The BBC just hate us for some reason.

fact is there was intent by the Villa player to foul Jay and he moved his leg to avoid injury and Halsey gave it for that reason end of story.

to say he dived is just ludicrous i'm sure Garth Crooks and Martin Keown have done some questionable thinks in the game before and got away with it. and we deserve a bit of luck from refs for a change too

If all you have to worry about is this' date=' can I have your life as it is clearly better than mine?[/quote']

If you're referring to me, I take exception to your comments.

Read again... and for clarification, I don't believe any media outlet has it in for us but I thought the opening gambit for the report is massively skewed. It's as if a fuming Villa fan had wrote it on their blog. The rest of the article isn't too bad, but I don't think it's a particularly professional way to start a match report. That's all. I think I'll get over it...!

Ashley Young dives everyweek, do they call his dives blatant?

BBC report when Ashley Young dived to win a penalty vs Villa last season:

Manchester United re-established a five-point lead over Manchester City at the top of the Premier League but their victory over Aston Villa was aided by another controversial penalty.

Ashley Young, who won a spot-kick last week against QPR, was involved again, adjudged to be tripped by Ciaran Clark.

The pen was for the first offence by the keeper who clattered Rickie, ref played on, jay Rod went down, Gaston put over the bar, ref realised no advantage gained and gave the pen for the first offence. End of.

You are describing the advantage rule as it applies to rugby, not to football. You don't even know the rules of the game!

First time I've seen it and yep, no contact on Jrod and the keeper got to the ball first in the earlier phase, so no foul there either. Lucky to get that, but I don't give a flying feck. There's been plenty of other teams that have had dodgy pens. I'd have been happy for us to run out 2 or 3-0 winners but I'll take 1-0.

If you're referring to me, I take exception to your comments.

Read again... and for clarification, I don't believe any media outlet has it in for us but I thought the opening gambit for the report is massively skewed. It's as if a fuming Villa fan had wrote it on their blog. The rest of the article isn't too bad, but I don't think it's a particularly professional way to start a match report. That's all. I think I'll get over it...!

Hopefully you will.

I thought it was given for a foul by the keeper on someone. Couldn't see from where I was

Just watched the link skint posted above, it looks like that to me as well, keeper dragging down Punch. J-Rod whipped his leg out of the way of a real lunge, whats he supposed to do, get his leg knackered to keep the villa crowd happy? You could even see him saying he wasn't fouled, and didn't make any sort of claim for a pen.

Just watched the link skint posted above, it looks like that to me as well, keeper dragging down Punch. J-Rod whipped his leg out of the way of a real lunge, whats he supposed to do, get his leg knackered to keep the villa crowd happy? You could even see him saying he wasn't fouled, and didn't make any sort of claim for a pen.

Spot on about Jrod. I think the ref thought there was contact and gave the pen for that. To be fair, it was a crap attempt at a tackle and as you say, would have done him some damage if contact was made.

Blatant dive IMO and amazed if anyone really thinks differently. Not complaining at three points for a second but the dive was pretty embarrassing.

That said, the ref has (apparently) said that he gave pen for the first challenge so who gives a ****??!

Blatant dive IMO and amazed if anyone really thinks differently. Not complaining at three points for a second but the dive was pretty embarrassing.

That said, the ref has (apparently) said that he gave pen for the first challenge so who gives a ****??!

Don't be so bloody silly. It was not a dive and even if it was it was not blatant. It was cleverly done. But it wasn't!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Just watched that link. Had no idea about the Jrod challenge tbh!

Dive was embarrassing and you can see why te arguement is there that he moved out the way but not for me, blatant dive. If the oppo had done that we'd be going mental....BUT we should have had a couple of pens this season which we didnt get. It evens itself out so they say...

The pen was for the first offence by the keeper who clattered Rickie, ref played on, jay Rod went down, Gaston put over the bar, ref realised no advantage gained and gave the pen for the first offence. End of.

This is the only way it makes sense for me!

Just watched that link. Had no idea about the Jrod challenge tbh!

Dive was embarrassing and you can see why te arguement is there that he moved out the way but not for me, blatant dive. If the oppo had done that we'd be going mental....BUT we should have had a couple of pens this season which we didnt get. It evens itself out so they say...

The wording is: 'trip, or attempt to trip' so there does not have to be contact for it to be a foul.

Don't be so bloody silly. It was not a dive and even if it was it was not blatant. It was cleverly done. But it wasn't!

Oh, right, sorry.......ahem......it was never a dive and I am amazed no bones were broken with that dreadful tackle. Better? ;-)

Oh, right, sorry.......ahem......it was never a dive and I am amazed no bones were broken with that dreadful tackle. Better? ;-)

Are players allowed to try to avoid tackles? In doing so are they allowed to lose their balance?

Of course not. It was a blatant dive.

It's possible for it to not be a foul, not be a dive, and for the ref to make a complete hash of it.

I don't personally think he was looking for a foul, just overbalanced getting out the way of the challenge coming in. He hasn't tried to claim anything.

BBC haven't been as impartial as they should have been in my opinion.

It's possible for it to not be a foul, not be a dive, and for the ref to make a complete hash of it.

I don't personally think he was looking for a foul, just overbalanced getting out the way of the challenge coming in.

BBC haven't been as impartial as they should have been in my opinion.

This^

Are players allowed to try to avoid tackles? In doing so are they allowed to lose their balance?

Of course not. It was a blatant dive.

Behave yourself. Blatant dive. Embarrassing. That's all.