Unprofessional BBC Match Report

Crab Lungs

The pen was for the first offence by the keeper who clattered Rickie, ref played on, jay Rod went down, Gaston put over the bar, ref realised no advantage gained and gave the pen for the first offence. End of.

Having just watched the rteplay I agree with this, that the penalty was for the offence by the keeper who brought down the Saints' player - I think it was Puncheon. Despite the desparate attempts by some people to claim a foul can be awarded if a player avoids the contact, I have to say that is utter and complete tripe!

The point some of you are making/IMPLYING IS THAT JAY ROD CHEATED....

HE CLEARLY TRIES TO AVOID THE ATTEMPTED TACKLE...

At that time...I suggest he had no thoughts of trying to gain a penalty OR he would have made contact and rolled over 3 or 4 times like the real cheats at the big clubs

who tend to win many penalties...Jay Rod made no effort to con the ref or even appeal..

Whereas the GK has already fouled Puncheon before making contact with the ball....

Halsey is spot on IMO......of course

FFS some of you want to give the 3 points to Villa:blush:

At the game I thought it had been given for the challenge on Punch. Now seeing it in the highlights neither challenge was a pen. And I think we are clutching at straws to say Jay Rod didn't dive. It certainly doesn't look good from the POV of the cameras and indeed any neutral fan.

Like someone has said, if it happened to any opposition player then we'd quite rightly be up in arms. Swings and roundabouts and all that.

Having just watched the rteplay I agree with this, that the penalty was for the offence by the keeper who brought down the Saints' player - I think it was Puncheon. Despite the desparate attempts by some people to claim a foul can be awarded if a player avoids the contact, I have to say that is utter and complete tripe!

Not tripe at all. Go and do a refereeing course and then come back.

Seen it about 50 times and it is still a dive...

I can understand people ****ed off at what the BBC said but it was an obvious dive. Keeper got the ball ahead of Puncheon and Jay Rod just fell over. He thought a tackle was going to come in and it didn't. You could understand if he was running and wanted to save himself from a tackle but he was walking and there was no tackle.

If it happened to us I'm sure those saying it was not a dive would of said it was.

I can understand people ****ed off at what the BBC said but it was an obvious dive. Keeper got the ball ahead of Puncheon and Jay Rod just fell over. He thought a tackle was going to come in and it didn't. You could understand if he was running and wanted to save himself from a tackle but he was walking and there was no tackle.

If it happened to us I'm sure those saying it was not a dive would of said it was.

It certainly looks like a tackle to me. IfJ-rod plants his right foot down without withdrawing it he would be lucky to escape a serious injury.

You have just repeated almost word for word what Shearer said.

Yep a point that many have missed, the fact that it was an attempt a foul (would have been if he left his foot and it had not moved). Intent it is called. Saying this, I do not think this is the case as I do not think anyone could react that quickly.

Ref got it wrong.... But hey!

It certainly looks like a tackle to me. IfJ-rod plants his right foot down without withdrawing it he would be lucky to escape a serious injury.

Game of opinions and that but I totally disagree. It was going so slow that he would of been aware of someone lunging in but there was no lunge. The guy did a toe poke attempt at the ball and was nowhere near Jay Rods foot. He went down before the guy had even fully extended his foot.

I don't see how he could of planted his feet when they were both going so slow? If penalties were given for phantom tackles then you would get hundreds a game. Puncheon getting taken out by the keeper could of been a lot worse. One is being brave and taking a bump like Puncheon did and the other is falling over with no touch or foot near you. Can't really call that one brave in my book.

There are penalties and decisions we should have had this season that we haven't had. We got one today that went out way. No-one has mentioned the benteke elbows, or his deliberate handball, the studs up challenge on gaston, the wild lunge at Morgan - all could and should have contributed to villa players being sent off. Halsey had a poor game full stop. And for the record, I think it's law 12 that says that it's an offence "to trip or attempt to trip" - therefore the idea that contact is necessary is nonsense.

I've watched the video replay several times and ..as I see it...he didn't dive.

Everything happens here in a split second, Rodrigues loses the ball and it rebounds into space, Puncheon goes after it and IMO is fouled by the keeper who spills the ball and Rodrigues (being nearest) goes for the loose ball....the Villa defender made a clumsy lunge with his leg ....which JayRod tried to avoid, lost his balance and fell - I don't see any physical contact - but as soon as Jay Rod gets up his expression, words and body language say ..I didn't dive. At this point.the ref. blows .and awards the penalty.

IF the ref. misjudged the situation, or found grounds for a penalty after us advantage after the keeper lost the ball and JayRod was nearest..only he knows, it was his decision.

IF anything I think the keeper was guilty of a foul (penalty offence) on Puncheon, but I really can't see that JayRod dived ..(reasons above) plus ...he didn't apppeal for penalty either.

It probably wouldn't have been seen as so controversial ......if it hadn't been the only goal in the game.

It might may /may not have been be a penalty (according to the book ) but I don't think that JayRod dived, and it's unfair to brand him a cheat, especially when there are so many other well-known " actors " in the Prem. who get away with it every time.

even the BBC pundits admit they first thought it was a clear penalty, it takes about five slow motion replays to see he wasn't touched, but that doesn't mean he dived, players do fall over in a melee or moving at speed to avoid tackles. why not just say that instead of implying cheating?

even the BBC pundits admit they first thought it was a clear penalty, it takes about five slow motion replays to see he wasn't touched, but that doesn't mean he dived, players do fall over in a melee or moving at speed to avoid tackles. why not just say that instead of implying cheating?

Don't recall hearing a whisper by the clowns of the BBC with regards to the horrendous tackle that led to Luke Shaw being carried off.

I suppose that would be because he was a Saints player, but nevertheless looks like he will be laid up for two or three games at least

Don't recall hearing a whisper by the clowns of the BBC with regards to the horrendous tackle that led to Luke Shaw being carried off.

I suppose that would be because he was a Saints player, but nevertheless looks like he will be laid up for two or three games at least

Was it? Just looked to me like an honest attempt to win a 50/50 ball and Shaw came off worst.

Ramirez goal against Arsenal disallowed for nothing for example.

Lallana's 3 penalty shouts and getting booked for diving in one game. Apparently it was to even itself out, it did, we still get berated. IMO, it wasn't a dive, the defenders toe contacts the inside middle of jrods shin. Goes down a bit easy but the issue here was villas poor defending they drsrved to concede after that! Comical

This ^ Seems a lot of people cannot see the difference between a dive and simply falling over. JRod made no attempt to cheat or con the ref. No claim for a pen came from him or anyone else nearby. It was just an out and out co k up by Halsey. Annoys me when the boy line aker tries to make out J is a cheat cf wit ones like Suarez.

Sorry Whitey. An attempted foul is also a foul but what a shame that your politeness deserted you in making you use sarcasm to correct a fellow Saints' fan. It remains my opinion that the ref gave the penalty for the dive, not J-Rod, but the GK's dive on Puncheon.

Sorry Whitey. An attempted foul is also a foul but what a shame that your politeness deserted you in making you use sarcasm to correct a fellow Saints' fan. It remains my opinion that the ref gave the penalty for the dive, not J-Rod, but the GK's dive on Puncheon.

Please forgive my terse reply which was prompted by the word 'tripe' used by someone who appears not to know the details of the Laws of the Game. In truth, we can only guess what motives were behind J-Rod's actions and what prompted Halsey's decision.

Isn't it a penalty if a player attempts to kick or trip an opponent, in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force? Does there have to be contact?

see http://www.canyouplayfootball.com/rulesoffootball/fouls.aspx

Indeed it is, and there does not need to be contact for it to be a foul, nor does contact necessarily make it a foul.

I see the ref in the Arse-Citeh game has finally decided that enough is enough for the bouts of Sumo wrestling that go on at every corner and free kick in every game of football. Good job. Jose will have to watch that if it's being clamped down on.

you watch the media/arsenal fans/wenger moan about it...despite all the calls asking for this sort of reffing

he has ref'd this game excellently IMO

I see the ref in the Arse-Citeh game has finally decided that enough is enough for the bouts of Sumo wrestling that go on at every corner and free kick in every game of football. Good job. Jose will have to watch that if it's being clamped down on.

Stoke City will not know what to do now.......Take up Rugby...By far the best team at all in wrestling in the penalty area..:)

I've watched the video replay several times and ..as I see it...he didn't dive.

Everything happens here in a split second, Rodrigues loses the ball and it rebounds into space, Puncheon goes after it and IMO is fouled by the keeper who spills the ball and Rodrigues (being nearest) goes for the loose ball....the Villa defender made a clumsy lunge with his leg ....which JayRod tried to avoid, lost his balance and fell - I don't see any physical contact - but as soon as Jay Rod gets up his expression, words and body language say ..I didn't dive. At this point.the ref. blows .and awards the penalty.

IF the ref. misjudged the situation, or found grounds for a penalty after us advantage after the keeper lost the ball and JayRod was nearest..only he knows, it was his decision.

IF anything I think the keeper was guilty of a foul (penalty offence) on Puncheon, but I really can't see that JayRod dived ..(reasons above) plus ...he didn't apppeal for penalty either.

It probably wouldn't have been seen as so controversial ......if it hadn't been the only goal in the game.

It might may /may not have been be a penalty (according to the book ) but I don't think that JayRod dived, and it's unfair to brand him a cheat, especially when there are so many other well-known " actors " in the Prem. who get away with it every time.

I've looked at the stills of the Guzman/Puncheon incident again and you can see from 2 successive ones that Guzman has brought his knee up to stop Punch's forward progress. That's a penalty.

loads of people on here said it was a blatant dive and it bloody well was there was zero contact yet when a reporter says it were up in arms

The point is , if Ashley young had done it would he have used the same description?

And secondly has JRod rolled around on the floor or jumped in the refs face asking for a pen, No

Imo he played the ball to GR, then tried to move out of the way

From the refs angle the challenge on JP looks 70/30 a pen