Third worst home support

ToreSF

Have to admit, Palace has a fantastic atmosphere.

As do many of the smaller grounds. However, as any Southampton fan who does away trips will tell you, the bigger clubs can't be arsed getting up for it when playing the likes of us. Given that there are only six or seven "likes of them" about, it means that the atmosphere is crapola 12/19 home games.

We had one poor atmosphere at St Marys this season, I reckon. That was WBA.

I usually sit in the Northam so the atmosphere usually sounds amazing. At the QPR game some of the chants had the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. At the Sunderland game I sat down the other end up in the back rows and it was clear from there that only a few pockets make any noise. Our away fans always sounds outstanding though.

The West Ham fans put on a great rendition of Forever Blowing Bubbles when I was there but were largely quiet after that *****il they scored that is...)

I haven't been to too many other Premier League grounds, my away trips this year coming mainly in the cup. Arsenal were silent for most of the match, but that's hardly surprising, they have a bit of a reputation for not making much noise.

Surprised we are ranked so low, though. Would be interested to see a similar article about away support...

Dunno about third worst, but it certainly isn't particularly atmospheric. I can only remember two seriously atmospheric games: Wolves FA Cup Qtr Final and Pompey league game in the Championship (2-2) - and for the latter it was only really good in the short period we were 2-1 up.

Palace

West Brom

Swansea*

Newcastle*

Leicester

Saints

Stoke

Burnley*

QPR

Spurs

West Ham

Sunderland

Hull*

Everton*

Man Utd

Man City

Liverpool

Villa

Chelsea

Arsenal

That would be my take with the following caveats:

all away fans are more animated than home fans

if you go to pretty much any ground the away fans will (generally) be the ones making the most noise,

this applies to us away and to other teams when they come to us (this is not underselling our away support which is generally excellent as per Stoke and Hull last week, with the odd exception, for example Spurs away last season),

I'm basing my purely subjective thoughts on how well the home fans back their team through the whole 90 minutes irrespective of the score - there's a lot of truth in you-only-sing-when-you're-winning - if we had a different league table for how passionate/noisy fans were when their team scored we'd see a completely different league table ... glory boys like Chelsea and Man U would be right up there.

Also have to say I've not been to the *teams' grounds! Having to use my TV skills, feedback from places like this and all-round perception to give those teams a ranking.

Still reckon I've done a better job than Jim White though, Saints 18th out of 20 for home support? Really? He's 'aving a giraffe isn't he?

Load of bo££ocks.

Hull fans on Saturday were quiet for most of the game, Stoke the other year (3-3 draw) was appalling for atmosphere from the home fans (they only come to life if beating one of the big boys), more noise in a graveyard than at the Emirates, Villa Park yesterday you could hear a pin drop for most of the game.

Let's face it, Saints hardly rival Fernebache

But having said that, at Hull this w/end, you could hear players/managers shouting. Maybe it was the effects microphones, but generally it is down to how quiet it is. I haven't heard that at SMS unless there is a very low (cup) attendance.

Typical "filler" type article. I used to think he was fairly good as a journalist but if this is what he's being asked to produce then he's fallen some way - it's the kind of article you ask the YTS kid to do in order to postpone that inevitable moment when he realises his lack of flair and imagination will form the backbone of a dull, unremarkable and pointless career.

Indeed the last few times Jim White has appeared on TV he's looked more inclined to scan the floor in search of dog ends than capable of writing anything of note. Interestingly I'd make him 3rd worst journalist in my list of people I couldn't care less about.

Dunno about third worst, but it certainly isn't particularly atmospheric. I can only remember two seriously atmospheric games: Wolves FA Cup Qtr Final and Pompey league game in the Championship (2-2) - and for the latter it was only really good in the short period we were 2-1 up.

MK Dons at home, JPT semi final was far better than that Pompey game.

That article however, betrays how little he knows - suggesting our atmosphere should get better with increased attendances. Our atmosphere was far better when we had less people/plastics in the ground.

Also really bizarre that the picture accompanying Hulls bit is Hull City fans getting Maya Yoshidas autograph.

Edited by Saint_clark

Ha ha, he put Liverpool 3rd. Their home support has been so quiet for our last two visits I wouldn't even put them on the list. Literally just YNWA before kick off and in injury time, and a brief Liverpool chant if they score. Utter joke of a list, excluding Palace, who are well stage-managed.

It's all very subjective though. If he had been to Liverpool vs Man Utd, that would be a better atmosphere than what we've experienced up there in recent times.

Anyway, who cares - we do sometimes have a sh*t atmosphere, all grounds do. Personally I'm not a fan of the dull drone that Palace create, but each to their own.

Such an allround odd article. Who deemed Jim White to be worthwhile as a judge?

Our attendances haven't gone up this season either, so he's wrong on that.

I wouldn't have Villa or Spurs that low either.

What couts against our atmosphere is the same as our major positive - it is all focused in a few blocks and not around the whole ground. Means we're fairly consistent at maing a good bit of noise, but never gets the whole ground involved like some other places.

Been to nearly all of the premier league grounds now and have to say that list is ********, not wanting to big us up for the sake of it but i'd honestly put us top five from what i've experienced.

Spurs/Liverpool/Man U and Arsenal are all well known by their fans for being ****ing terrible atmospheres, and a lot of the geordies i know think it's gone to **** at theirs too. Swansea i agree is quality, and West Brom on their day can make a racket.

Don't buy into the love in with Palace either, their "Ultras" are ****ing embarrassment and last two times we've been there we've easily outsung them (it seemed to just be about 20-30 spotty nigels from what i could see).

You haven't been to many games then.

I'd say we're above average for the PL, not the best. Not the worst. We have our good days. We have our bad days. Very rarely do we get the full on pin drop atmospheres for 80-90 minutes like you often get at Everton, Liverpool, Arsenal and Wembley.

I miss the Dell.

Maybe we should make up a myth that we're the best fans in the world and say it over and over again until someone believes us.

I haven't heard St Marys really rock since we beat Norwich 4-3 10 years ago - only time I heard sustained singing around the whole stadium

The only thing I've heard the whole ground sing was we want Rupert out. Even the old battle axe who I thought only came to tell me off for singing, shouting and swearing gave it some. Sad times.

I'd agree with that. Whenever I listen to the games on the radio or watch them on telly, the atmosphere looks sh*t. Sometimes it makes me ashamed to be a Saints fan. I haven't been to St. Mary's for a couple of seasons, but I'm certainly not going to pay to go and watch games live if the fans can't even be bothered to create an atmosphere.

I'd agree with that. Whenever I listen to the games on the radio or watch them on telly, the atmosphere looks sh*t. Sometimes it makes me ashamed to be a Saints fan. I haven't been to St. Mary's for a couple of seasons, but I'm certainly not going to pay to go and watch games live if the fans can't even be bothered to create an atmosphere.

That'll learn 'em.

Stoke 3rd?! Their 'loud' atmosphere is a myth, my last 2 visits there it's been quieter than most ground I've visited.

Totally agree. Have been there many times and the atmosphere has always been pretty crap to be honest. To have them ahead of Anfield is quite laughable.

Nice use of irony.

Haven't bin many grounds with a better atmoshpre than us, and I've bin to over 40 grounds. Also don't get many grounds with as many people stood up for 90 minutes as us. Atmosphere in english football is poor all round, compared to other countries. Blame this on health and saftey though for example, stewards tryna get everyone to sit down ffs

Classic, not attendng fan critises fans who attend.

I actually think the contrary and that above is rubbish. Home games are always quieter than the respective team's away following, but we are far and away better fans than other teams in the league. Hull, Everton, Liverpool, west ham... all these clubs and more are blumming silent compared to us at home.

Nothing worse than fans coming on here to criticise other fans who pay good money and make an effort to attend matches when they don't even go to games themselves, frankly that is a joke mate.