Ground Share with Bournemouth if they go up?

Saint IQ

There is no minimum capacity requirement for the Premier League.

Even if there was Bournemouth could do the work over the summer.

Plus in any case why would Saints agree to a ground share?

- Saints don't need the money

- Hampshire police wouldn't like 20,000+ Cherries fans in the city 19+ times a year

- It doubles the games on the St Mary's pitch

Edited by Matthew Le God

Yeah just heard this, had no idea it would be an issue. Seemed to suggest part of the problem is their media facilities.it would be a real shame for them to have to play at SMS,a bit embarrassing too. Doesn't bother me particularly.

Be interesting to know exactly what they need to upgrade?

There is no minimum capacity requirement for the Premier League.

Even if there was Bournemouth could do the work over the summer.

Plus in any case why would Saints agree to a ground share?

- Saints don't need the money

- Hampshire police wouldn't like 20,000+ Cherries fans in the city 19+ times a year

- It doubles the games on the St Mary's pitch

Do you work for the Police?

Would far rather ground share with them to the west than them to the east. Not fussed if we do or not, but if we do, then I would expect a huge amount of money.

BUT, MLG states we don't need the money, but nor would B'mouth given the TV income.

Hampshire police wouldn't like 20,000+ Cherries fans in the city 19+ times a year

Do you work for the Police?

No, but I think its reasonable to assume the police wouldn't like to manage 20,000+ Bournemouth fans in Southampton 19+ times in a year. Managing 3,000 Bournemouth away fans at St Mary's is one thing, managing a St Mary's and Southampton city centre full of Bournemouth fans on numerous occasions is something very different. Of course its not anywhere near Saints vs Pompey levels of rivalry, but lots of their fans don't like Saints and having them play home games at St Mary's is asking for trouble.

Edited by Matthew Le God

It was to do with premier league media boxes or something like that not capacity I think.

They'd have May, June and July to build it. I'm sure the incentive of the Premier League and all that brings is enough to get it done quickly, even if it is only temporary facilities to start with.

So what happens for the "away" game we play against them? Our supporters lump into the away corner of SM and the Bournemouth lot lord it over the rest of the ground?

generally, yes. that is what happens at every other ground share

I imagine Bournemouth will do everything physically possible to ensure they can play at their own ground, they'll put temporary facilities in place if it came to it. That can be sorted in the summer.

absolutely. that ground will be worth a few points to them, surely

generally, yes. that is what happens at every other ground share

That just seems nuts! It does sound unlikely they'll need to do it though by the sounds of things. It sounds like there's multiple cheaper/easier options that saddling themselves with the cost and ball-ache of staging at SM.

That just seems nuts! It does sound unlikely they'll need to do it though by the sounds of things. It sounds like there's multiple cheaper/easier options that saddling themselves with the cost and ball-ache of staging at SM.

why does it seem nuts? it would be a fixture we should not even be at the that ground for.

teams ground share the world over

on this case, it wont happen. would look bad for the premier league, sticking one on little on bournemouth

absolutely. that ground will be worth a few points to them, surely

Kind of kills it for them if they're honest. Debut season in the PL being played out of city. I can't see it even being close to happening, or even the PL allowing it to happen. It's not even going to be an issue.

It'll be worked around if it comes to it.

I know that they are having to move some of the existing season ticket holders in the main stand as they are having to expand the media facilities. Cannot see a ground share happening, as someone said earlier, if Blackpool were allowed to play with their dump then Bournemouth will be fine with Dean Court. Extending capacity is another matter, but if they had any sense, they'll have been planning for most of the season to get something sorted quickly over the summer (which it appears they have been doing judging by that BBC report from November).

The obvious question that I'm rather surprised hasn't been yet covered is whether or not the Premier League can make us ground share with Bournemouth?

Even if ground-sharing is necessary, can't we just reject their application and tell them to go and bug Reading or whoever?

The obvious question that I'm rather surprised hasn't been yet covered is whether or not the Premier League can make us ground share with Bournemouth?

No, its our stadium and we can't be forced into another club using it.

They'd have 3 months to improve media and medical facilities at the stadium. No need to ground share, it can be done in the summer if you throw enough money at it and there is plenty of that in the Premier League.

Surely it's the same with the rest of the football pyramid, if their ground doesn't conform, they won't be allowed into the league? I'm sure it does (or with a certain amount of work, that will have to be completed by a certain date, it will do. If they had to ground share, then they would have next to no chance of staying up.

Their media facilities are poor.

The press box is not big enough and certainly cannot cater for the numbers required for the Premier League.

Neither do they have a press room where post-match press conferences can be conducted. Interviews are currently carried out pitchside which is OK in August, September and April/May, but not too clever the rest of the season.

Like most clubs, they don't really like the media and try to inconvenience them as much as possible. They kicked the media out of the community office under the stand which used to double as a press room and journos currently have to tramp back up to the press box to write their post-match pieces; again, not easy for frozen fingers in December and January.

However, you do get a tear-off attachment to your press ticket which allows you to get a pie/pasty/hot dog and drink from the snack bar under the stand.

I expect there will be some on here who moan about how the pampered hacks who cover Premier League football should have to rough it and their working conditions bear no comparison to those of coal miners or deep-sea fishermen. But if you accept the most popular sport in the country should have an elite league at its pinnacle, then everything about it should be as good as possible, and that includes media facilities (which are very good at St Mary's, incidentally, including the pre-match catering).

They'd have 3 months to improve media and medical facilities at the stadium. No need to ground share, it can be done in the summer if you throw enough money at it and there is plenty of that in the Premier League.

Would there be planning issues?

Good to know. I can definitely see a ground share being a handicap on our performances on the pitch. Not a huge one necessarily but a handicap nonetheless. Could easily see us having a ridiculously awkward fixture list as well with the Ropey League games if we have to fit in the fact we've got to rigidly alternate home and away league games with Bournemouth.

I've always understood that teams get a grace period after promotion. Yeovil got one when they went up to the Championship. The thinking is that newly promoted teams are the most vulnerable to relegation, so it's stupid for them to spend millions increasing the capacity. If they go straight back down again, they are left with a stadium bigger than they likely need and a lower income with which to pay off the debt. I assume the PL would give Bournemouth 2-3 seasons to upgrade.

They clearly will not have to ground share. There's no rule to say they should, and they have a temp stand they could easily expand or revamp to cover the standard of facilities needed.

If Fratton can pass for a Prem Ground, Dean Court can.

They clearly will not have to ground share. There's no rule to say they should, and they have a temp stand they could easily expand or revamp to cover the standard of facilities needed.

If Fratton can pass for a Prem Ground, Dean Court can.

They have plans (see above) for an extension this summer but from reading the Premiere League rules it seems to be more about media comfort and ground safety.

They have plans (see above) for an extension this summer but from reading the Premiere League rules it seems to be more about media comfort and ground safety.

I know. I already read the thread. Hence the comment about standard of facilities, rather than some spurious crap about capacity.

While I can see the benefit of a ground share for Bournemouth. What benefit would it bring to Southampton? I can only think of the negatives for us. The pitch wouldn't get the recovery time it currently gets. The stadium would get worn very quickly requiring more maintenance. Plus if we are playing European football next season that's even more wear and tear on the pitch. It wouldn't feel like our stadium any more either. We don't need the small amount of money having them as our lodgers would bring either. I can see no reason on our side to agree to it. Just because they might need a better stadium with better facilities for the media it doesn't mean we should bend over backwards to help them just cause they are our close by neighbours.

While I can see the benefit of a ground share for Bournemouth. What benefit would it bring to Southampton? I can only think of the negatives for us. The pitch wouldn't get the recovery time it currently gets. The stadium would get worn very quickly requiring more maintenance. Plus if we are playing European football next season that's even more wear and tear on the pitch. It wouldn't feel like our stadium any more either. We don't need the small amount of money having them as our lodgers would bring either. I can see no reason on our side to agree to it. Just because they might need a better stadium with better facilities for the media it doesn't mean we should bend over backwards to help them just cause they are our close by neighbours.
I bet the rent will not be small and we wouldn't do it on that basis. We would also benefit from all the hospitality and matchday refreshment revenue. We would also probably have to rent them merchandising space as well. Could actually be worth a small fortune to us. Won't happen though!!