Gasworks Pub.

Didcot Saint

So another great move by the club. A membership fee of over £200 resulted in about 30 people being inside while many regulars boycotted or didn’t want to pay. Even worse, it turns out that away fans, complete with replica kit can purchase match day hospitaltality in there, and then take their seat in the Kingsland for the match. Absolutely mind numbing stupidity. Counting down to when it all kicks off. Yes I decided to pay to be a member, but I still don’t agree with it. Halo are not going to make a penny out of this and this facility should be run by the club.

I noticed on the saints hospitality page there is an option now for a gasworks package, £150 per person, unlike normal tickets you don't need to be on the database to buy to see the big clubs, basically if you pay enough our greedy club with take your money and turn a blind eye to glory hunting away fans in home section, not sure when in Kingsland the seats are.

The Gasworks is located in the Kingsland Stand, and is an urban sports bar, with ample seating in the hub of the ground. Avoid the pre game rush and relax at half time in our centrally located lounge, taking advantage of our tasty american themed menu.

Your Gasworks package includes:

Pre-match drink (soft drink, wine or beer)

Pre-game, Half-time and Full-time access to the lounge

Central premium seating in the Kingsland Stand

Complimentary Matchday magazine

Sky & BT across 35 TV screens

Cash Bar access

Opportiunity to purchase from American diner menu

Why would anyone buy membership or pay £150 for the match day ticket? It’s an absolute rip off. I see the price drops to £78 for the Watford game but even that is steep for what is effectively just paying for the privilege of being there. I could perhaps understand it if it includes some sort of meal but all it seems to get you is a seat and a drink. Our money grabbing club have made an absolute mess of this. I guess as word spreads this will mainly be full of away fans in the future, don’t see any reason why saints fans would spend any money to be there unless you were desperate for a ticket.

Why would anyone buy membership or pay £150 for the match day ticket? It’s an absolute rip off. I see the price drops to £78 for the Watford game but even that is steep for what is effectively just paying for the privilege of being there. I could perhaps understand it if it includes some sort of meal but all it seems to get you is a seat and a drink. Our money grabbing club have made an absolute mess of this. I guess as word spreads this will mainly be full of away fans in the future, don’t see any reason why saints fans would spend any money to be there unless you were desperate for a ticket.

I think that it is some sort of embarrassing attempt to replicate an Arsenal Club Level type offering - we are a footballing Phoenix Nights when it comes to this type of thing.

What's great about this option is it gives the club the opportunity to plss off saints fans in another stand after putting gobby flash big mouths in executive boxes behind Itchen North supporting the away side. I'm afraid the club could do with a reality check and a season in the Championship. They are so complacent and couldn't care less about the long standing loyal fans. Our total spend per visit must disappoint them.

I noticed on the saints hospitality page there is an option now for a gasworks package, £150 per person, unlike normal tickets you don't need to be on the database to buy to see the big clubs, basically if you pay enough our greedy club with take your money and turn a blind eye to glory hunting away fans in home section, not sure when in Kingsland the seats are.

The Gasworks is located in the Kingsland Stand, and is an urban sports bar, with ample seating in the hub of the ground. Avoid the pre game rush and relax at half time in our centrally located lounge, taking advantage of our tasty american themed menu.

Your Gasworks package includes:

Pre-match drink (soft drink, wine or beer)

Pre-game, Half-time and Full-time access to the lounge

Central premium seating in the Kingsland Stand

Complimentary Matchday magazine

Sky & BT across 35 TV screens

Cash Bar access

Opportiunity to purchase from American diner menu

Who the f**k is going to purchase this? And open to away fans?? I give up. Southampton FC, you're screwing up.

I'll leave this here;

"Opportunity to purchase from American diner menu"

OPPORTUNITY TO PURCHASE :lol:

What's great about this option is it gives the club the opportunity to plss off saints fans in another stand after putting gobby flash big mouths in executive boxes behind Itchen North supporting the away side. I'm afraid the club could do with a reality check and a season in the Championship. They are so complacent and couldn't care less about the long standing loyal fans. Our total spend per visit must disappoint them.

You’re absolutely right. I keep thinking back to the survey last season, how much do you earn? How much would you spend? Would you want a premium area? Etc etc, they’re just not interested in your regular fan. They seem to want us to be a premium club, like an arsenal lite but forget we are an average team in a relatively small working class city. They preach self sustainability and refusal to invest yet want their customers to splash out week after week.

Who the f**k is going to purchase this? And open to away fans?? I give up. Southampton FC, you're screwing up.

I'll leave this here;

"Opportunity to purchase from American diner menu"

OPPORTUNITY TO PURCHASE :lol:

That tickled me too, an opportunity to purchase a burger and chips for £22. It’s absolutely laughable this is somehow a selling point for paying £150 to be in the bar.

You’re absolutely right. I keep thinking back to the survey last season, how much do you earn? How much would you spend? Would you want a premium area? Etc etc, they’re just not interested in your regular fan. They seem to want us to be a premium club, like an arsenal lite but forget we are an average team in a relatively small working class city. They preach self sustainability and refusal to invest yet want their customers to splash out week after week.

That survey was a joke, but obviously enough people answered it saying they'd spend more ... ?? Unless they only targeted a certain segment of the fanbase?

That survey was a joke, but obviously enough people answered it saying they'd spend more ... ?? Unless they only targeted a certain segment of the fanbase?

Or maybe they just did it regardless? It wouldn’t be like them to just do something regardless of what fans think. I expect some cheerleader on the saints voice group nodded along in agreement it would be a good idea so they took it as representative of everyone.

So let me get this right, for £200 you get the following.

Match ticket

One free drink

A magazine

To sit in a pub before the game and watch sky sports.

The opportunity to pay for a meal.

Are you seriously telling me people actually did that and apologise if I missed anything off list.

Match ticket

One free drink

A magazine

Are you seriously telling me people actually did that and apologise if I missed anything off list.

It's complete madness. I can't believe anyone will be suckered in by that? OPPORTUNITY TO PURCHASE :lol: - that's still making me laugh this morning.

Match ticket

One free drink

A magazine

I think there are two options. You can either buy a season long membership for £200, which gets you all of the above minus the match ticket. Or on a pay per game basis with prices seeming to be £150 for the big games, the cheapest I could find was Watford at £78. But yes either way you’re basically paying awful lot of money to get a “ free” pint whilst sitting in an empty pub where sky sports is on.

It's complete madness. I can't believe anyone will be suckered in by that? OPPORTUNITY TO PURCHASE :lol: - that's still making me laugh this morning.

You can imagine some little marketing gimp first job out of “uni” coming up with that and thinking it was brilliant.

This was last seasons menu, I’m assuming it hasn’t changed but your £150 yesterday would have given you the opportunity to purchase a big boy saints burger and chips with ice cream pudding for £22.50. What a bargain.

https://www.southamptonfc.com/-/media/files/other/gasworks-food-menu.pdf?la=en

Totally agree,however I think you are being a bit generous with the average team bit.

Yes I did, the reason being it’s part of the Kingsland where I’ve had my ST since SMS opened, I can go and have a fag at half time, don’t have to queue for a pint, get food if I want and watch tv if I want. What I don’t agree with is it used to £25 membership a season for ST holders in the Kingsland and is now ten times that.

Our total spend per visit must disappoint them.

Well, I trained in with my lad, arrived at about 1pm. Had a nice Thai opposite the Mayflower. Killed some time in the art gallery. Turned up at SMS. Went to my seat. Watched the game. Left and caught the train back. Having spent £1450 on 2 STs I think that's probably enough, and I have no intention of buying over priced low quality food and drink. If KO is evening, I might buy something, but that's it.

I go the letter about the Gasworks, and just binned it. Have no interest in paying to use it, nor (as I said above) am I interested in eating bad/average food at the ground while paying over the odds for it. If I want a burger, which seems about all they can do, then I might as well go to Byrons. Nothing on this menu - https://www.southamptonfc.com/-/media/files/other/gasworks-food-menu.pdf?la=en - for a mere £22 for 2 courses appeals in any way. Basically, if I am going to make a day of it, which I like to do, I'll go to a restaurant in town and do it properly.

Well, I trained in with my lad, arrived at about 1pm. Had a nice Thai opposite the Mayflower. Killed some time in the art gallery. Turned up at SMS. Went to my seat. Watched the game. Left and caught the train back. Having spent £1450 on 2 STs I think that's probably enough, and I have no intention of buying over priced low quality food and drink. If KO is evening, I might buy something, but that's it.

I go the letter about the Gasworks, and just binned it. Have no interest in paying to use it, nor (as I said above) am I interested in eating bad/average food at the ground while paying over the odds for it. If I want a burger, which seems about all they can do, then I might as well go to Byrons. Nothing on this menu - https://www.southamptonfc.com/-/media/files/other/gasworks-food-menu.pdf?la=en - for a mere £22 for 2 courses appeals in any way. Basically, if I am going to make a day of it, which I like to do, I'll go to a restaurant in town and do it properly.

£15 for a bowl of Doritos and grated cheese warmed up in the microwave? Mental!

You can imagine some little marketing gimp first job out of “uni” coming up with that and thinking it was brilliant.

This was last seasons menu, I’m assuming it hasn’t changed but your £150 yesterday would have given you the opportunity to purchase a big boy saints burger and chips with ice cream pudding for £22.50. What a bargain.

https://www.southamptonfc.com/-/media/files/other/gasworks-food-menu.pdf?la=en

Peas with an apostrophe.

I think you're right, uni grad gimp in attempting to have a go at marketing, shocker.

£15 for a bowl of Doritos and grated cheese warmed up in the microwave? Mental!

Just out of interest I checked out a few of my old haunts walking distance from SMS from when I lived in Southampton to see what you could get for a prematch lunch if eating a big meal before a game is your thing.

The white star in oxford street, the most expense thing on the menu was a sirloin steak for £20. The burger was just £10.

You can get a curry at the corridander lounge, one of if not the best in town for about £14-£15

Ennios, cracking Italian near town quay 2 course Italian lunch for about £17

Absolutely laughable that they expect you to pay £150 to get in then spend another £22.50 on a burger and chips.

You could actually take two of you for a meal and drink at a decent restuarnt, buy a Match ticket each and a couple of beers after for less than it costs to just get in to the Gas Works bar. What a joke these clowns are.

The really annoying thing is that last season, it was nice to pop in there after the game to have a beer and let the crowds die down.

Got the letter about this season and nearly did myself a mischief laughing at the cost.

It really is hopeless from the club, really cant see anyone paying a further £200 to go to an expensive pub.

Not wanting to take off on tangent but The Angel was empty but not surprised when you have a massive screen only showing your holiday snaps rather than a game!

A nice leather settee though :-)

Match day fans want beer, burger, pies and football.

Shame the Alfred shut but can understand why.

Maybe pop up bar on match days works well in London

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess if you were going to buy a pint and a programme each game anyway then that's a tenner a game? So £10 x 19 games = £190 so that's only an extra tenner for the season and you presumably get much more chance of getting at drink at HT and an opportunity for a smoke if that floats your boat.

It's not the kind of thing I'd pay for but maybe not so bad if you were definitely going to get a programme each game.

So your £200 membership, works out at £10 per game assuming at least one cup game. Less the cost of a match day programme (assuming you would buy it anyway). That doesn’t seem super bad. There are currently no memberships available.

You’d be bonkers to pay £150 for the Man Utd game alone. Just go for a meal in Oxford Street and match day tickets.

Thus club have no regard for the pie and pint fan only interested in the corporates now.

I'll take issue with this statement, having had one of the pies from whichever new supplier we've got. Think they might be the same ones that supply Brighton, it was very good :thumbup:

Actual poured pints rather than 330ml bottles seems an improvement to me? I don't usually drink in the ground for various reasons, but it seems a bit churlish to have a pop at the club for things when they have actually improved.

I'll take issue with this statement, having had one of the pies from whichever new supplier we've got. Think they might be the same ones that supply Brighton, it was very good [emoji106]

Actual poured pints rather than 330ml bottles seems an improvement to me? I don't usually drink in the ground for various reasons, but it seems a bit churlish to have a pop at the club for things when they have actually improved.

Indeed. Pretty much the whole concourse is geared towards the pie and pint target market.

The Gasworks Bar clearly isn't. They may well have got the pricing wrong and may have mistead their market. But seems people are moaning about something that isnt intended for their market, which is slightly odd.

Most other grounds have exactly the same type of places, and most supporters at those grounds don't use them. But presumably some, the target market, do use them.

im not understanding the issue here. if you can afford £200 per season ans are inclined to pay it to drink in an onsite bar rather than on the concourse then fair play.

if you cant afford it or think its a waste of money then drink in one of the numerous pubs in Southampton. why would the club try and replicate a pub? i do think they should try and offer something a little more unique for the membership charge though.

other than that i really dont see why people are ****ed off about it.

im not understanding the issue here. if you can afford £200 per season ans are inclined to pay it to drink in an onsite bar rather than on the concourse then fair play.

if you cant afford it or think its a waste of money then drink in one of the numerous pubs in Southampton. why would the club try and replicate a pub? i do think they should try and offer something a little more unique for the membership charge though.

other than that i really dont see why people are ****ed off about it.

Completely right, apart from the fact that last season, as a season ticket holder, you could enter the bar at no cost. I'm not moaning especially, more that I don't see that turning down the money they were making for having the bar pretty full is going to be replaced with idiots spending £150 for one game, or ST holders paying an additional £200 just to get access. Oh and a programme included!

Do people who regularly go buy programmes? I can't remember the last time I did.
I used to but once it went from a small, easily stored in my back pocket, program to a larger, more expensive, match day magazine I stopped.

It used to be part of the match day routine buying one off the bloke, in the flat cap and big beard, at the chapel end on my walk up to the stadium but it kind of died when we got smartly dressed types selling match day magazines from kiosks.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Not wanting to take off on tangent but The Angel was empty but not surprised when you have a massive screen only showing your holiday snaps rather than a game!

A nice leather settee though :-)

Match day fans want beer, burger, pies and football.

Shame the Alfred shut but can understand why.

Maybe pop up bar on match days works well in London

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone heard anything about the Alfred reopening? Friend of mine swears he heard it talked about at the Liverpool game but I can't see it. Real shame, loved it in there pre-match.

I'll take issue with this statement, having had one of the pies from whichever new supplier we've got. Think they might be the same ones that supply Brighton, it was very good :thumbup:

Haven't tried "our" pies, but did have one at B&HA last August. Was the highlight of the evening (as well as being quite good).