Gasworks Pub.

Didcot Saint

Anyone heard anything about the Alfred reopening? Friend of mine swears he heard it talked about at the Liverpool game but I can't see it. Real shame, loved it in there pre-match.

I would think there's absolutely no chance. It's been shut for years now, so I'd imagine the income from Saints matchdays can't outweigh the cost of running the place for the rest of the week.

Haven't tried "our" pies, but did have one at B&HA last August. Was the highlight of the evening (as well as being quite good).

Anything has to be a step up from Pastry filled with Slurry badged Pukka Pies.

The burger offering has widened too although I don’t fancy having a go at the Northam Burger which I think is a double burger the ones on their own are thick, meaty and dense, trying to squeeze 2 and topping and a bun in your gob could be quite a challenge - seems the only rook with hot food on the concourse is a Hot Dog.

I would hazard a guess that they have been listening to the comments made on the endless surveys they sent out last season with regard to the standard of concourse fare.

The burger offering has widened too although I don’t fancy having a go at the Northam Burger which I think is a double burger the ones on their own are thick, meaty and dense, trying to squeeze 2 and topping and a bun in your gob could be quite a challenge - seems the only rook with hot food on the concourse is a Hot Dog.

I would hazard a guess that they have been listening to the comments made on the endless surveys they sent out last season with regard to the standard of concourse fare.

If I have to eat, its usually just a hot dog from the van in the car park on the Northam/Kingsland corner. Not the foot long one for £5, but the slightly smaller, slightly better one for £5. BUT.... if the pies are as good as B&HA one's I might try them. Bloke in front of me always used to buy a Chicken Balti Pukka, which given the smell......! He seemed a bit miffed that they were no longer on sale, but thank God for that.

Anyone heard anything about the Alfred reopening? Friend of mine swears he heard it talked about at the Liverpool game but I can't see it. Real shame, loved it in there pre-match.

I would think there's absolutely no chance. It's been shut for years now, so I'd imagine the income from Saints matchdays can't outweigh the cost of running the place for the rest of the week.

My brother-in-law knows a developer who's mentioned to him a few times that he's working on plans to re-develop and re-open the Alfred. I can't see it happening myself and there's no activity to suggest something is likely to happen in the immediate term. However, we now have a friendly 'wager' on whether or not it will happen. Will post if I hear any more.

Do people who regularly go buy programmes? I can't remember the last time I did.

It used to be part of the match day experience and the one constant in all my years of going to Saints has been people grumbling about the price of a programme. I rarely buy one now and it does not generate the same excitement with my son as it did with me. Where did it go wrong?

It used to be part of the match day experience and the one constant in all my years of going to Saints has been people grumbling about the price of a programme. I rarely buy one now and it does not generate the same excitement with my son as it did with me. Where did it go wrong?

Think as has been mentioned already; when it went to A4 size most who bought it as a matchday habit for years bought the first, realised how big and impractical it was and decided £4 in their pocket was better than the personal inconvenience it caused having to carry it all through the match. Of course it looked very nice and big on the tables in hospitality.

I still buy one on away games and tuck my ticket inside when I get home, (all A5ish)...............................might help ward off Alzheimers in my dotage by kindling the memories.

I normally but a programme (god knows why at £4 a pop) but part off the ritual.

Sold out for the Koln game and also for Liverpool despite me getting there half an hour prior to KO!!

My brother-in-law knows a developer who's mentioned to him a few times that he's working on plans to re-develop and re-open the Alfred. I can't see it happening myself and there's no activity to suggest something is likely to happen in the immediate term. However' date=' we now have a friendly 'wager' on whether or not it will happen. Will post if I hear any more.[/quote']

I suspect, but more than happy to be told otherwise, that the Council at the behest of the police, would probably impose a condition of the licence that it be closed on match days.

I’ve never really understood the reason why people need to stuff their faces at football anyway. The only times it’s remotely acceptable is a lunchtime kick off game where I appreciate some people might have been in the pub from 11 or gone straight to the ground. For your standard 3pm or 7.45pm kick off WTF do people feel the need to eat as much as possible as soon as they get near the ground? You don’t decided on a working day at 3.45 to nip down to the burger bar down the road so why do people need to do it at half time, especially when the food is by and large utter crap. Same with an evening game, 7.45 or 8pm is pretty of time to eat beforehand if you really have to. It’s no wonder we’ve got so many fatties in our fan base when they stuffing their faves every weekend with poor quality burgers, hot dogs and beers. SMS is a diabetes epidemic waiting to explode, they should start playing videos of various diets and the danger of obesity inside SMS at half time rather than the pointless entertainment, it might at least save a few lives.

I’ve never really understood the reason why people need to stuff their faces at football anyway. The only times it’s remotely acceptable is a lunchtime kick off game where I appreciate some people might have been in the pub from 11 or gone straight to the ground. For your standard 3pm or 7.45pm kick off WTF do people feel the need to eat as much as possible as soon as they get near the ground? You don’t decided on a working day at 3.45 to nip down to the burger bar down the road so why do people need to do it at half time, especially when the food is by and large utter crap. Same with an evening game, 7.45 or 8pm is pretty of time to eat beforehand if you really have to. It’s no wonder we’ve got so many fatties in our fan base when they stuffing their faves every weekend with poor quality burgers, hot dogs and beers. SMS is a diabetes epidemic waiting to explode, they should start playing videos of various diets and the danger of obesity inside SMS at half time rather than the pointless entertainment, it might at least save a few lives.

This.

"FFS, It's 2:55pm, let's stuff as much cholesterol and saturated fats down as we can, before we have to wait until 3:45pm to do it again"

rather depends on how far you've had to travel to get to the game. You seem to be assumoing that all the fans come from close around Southampton. For an evening game I have to leave work before 5pm.

rather depends on how far you've had to travel to get to the game. You seem to be assumoing that all the fans come from close around Southampton. For an evening game I have to leave work before 5pm.

So would I, plenty of places to get something much better then a microwaved burger that’s been sitting in a kiosk for hours.

But surely they all burn up those excess calories roaring on their team, singing their hearts out and making SMS that intimidating fortress that opposition players and fans alike fear to enter.

Then again ......

Spoiling for a rematch?! - Do you really want to go there all over again??? :D

Your observations are based on poor assumptions, that everyone lives round the corner from SMS and has time to stand in a pub from 11am on a Saturday Matchday.

If only it was so cut and dried as your perfect scenario plays out. Mid week game I have been a work all day get home get changed and back out of the door as much before 6pm as I can drive down the M3, by the time I have parked in Southampton and walked to the ground it will be 7:15......... now outside of your assumptions mid week especially I am not alone in this scenario as you see the usual suspects who have been equally held up on the M3 or the edge of the city........and guess what after a full day of work and then travelling to football most of us are ready for a bit of food......we would much prefer to eat with a bit more civility......... and as I said all those years ago when we went over this you buy food at football with your eyes wide open to the quality and the cost. When we did have this discussion before you questioned my motives at to why I was maligning the Southampton Football Club food offering, well I have to say for the last 2 season the burgers have been locally sourced and what I would consider to be a well constructed Burger for the money, of a quality I have found on my plate in a nicer pub/ restaurant at £14+

I totally agree with you on the half time shopping - 25 minutes to go and get a beer and stuff your face - and miss 10 minutes of Football!!

Driving to watch the Saints from outside of the city does put a different slant on the reasons to purchase food on the concourse or wherever. I use to much prefer midweek finishing early ambling into Southampton and having a pre match Supper in Cove on Shamrock Quay before it closed.

Edited by John Boy Saint

Your observations are based on poor assumptions, that everyone lives round the corner from SMS and has time to stand in a pub from 11am on a Saturday Matchday.

If only it was so cut and dried as your perfect scenario plays out. Mid week game I have been a work all day get home get changed and back out of the door as much before 6pm as I can drive down the M3, by the time I have parked in Southampton and walked to the ground it will be 7:15......... now outside of your assumptions mid week especially I am not alone in this scenario as you see the usual suspects who have been equally held up on the M3 or the edge of the city........and guess what after a full day of work and then travelling to football most of us are ready for a bit of food......we would much prefer to eat with a bit more civility......... and as I said all those years ago when we went over this you buy food at football with your eyes wide open to the quality and the cost. When we did have this discussion before you questioned my motives at to why I was maligning the Southampton Football Club food offering, well I have to say for the last 2 season the burgers have been locally sourced and what I would consider to be a well constructed Burger for the money, of a quality I have found on my plate in a nicer pub/ restaurant at £14+

I totally agree with you on the half time shopping - 25 minutes to go and get a beer and stuff your face - and miss 10 minutes of Football!!

Driving to watch the Saints from outside of the city does put a different slant on the reasons to purchase food on the concourse or wherever. I use to much prefer midweek finishing early ambling into Southampton and having a post match Supper in Cove on Shamrock Quay before it closed.

I do a 140mile round trip for every home game and don't feel the need to eat at the ground or the burger vans outside, i just leave a bit earlier so i have time to grab food in the pub where it's better.

Mind you i do the train not the road and the football is only really part of the day anyway.

Driving to watch the Saints from outside of the city does put a different slant on the reasons to purchase food on the concourse or wherever. I use to much prefer midweek finishing early ambling into Southampton and having a pre match Supper in Cove on Shamrock Quay before it closed.

My “perfect scenario” is no such thing. It just involves people not taking the lazy option of going for the stuffing a crap, overpriced burger down your throat as this is what you perceive to be the only option to you. Other options include

Pub option: Leave work early and go to a pub for some food. Most people have flexible working these days if you don’t time to find a new employer.

Work from home:, see above re flexible working, cook your own dinner whilst tapping on skype for business every 5 mins to look like you are working

Healthy option: Precook then reheat a healthy option meal, add some steamed veg, kale or spinach a reheated chicken breast takes 4 minutes, ready in 10 you can eat that in 10 minutes and at the game only 20 minutes laters and still in time for kick off

Take away option: As you walk to the ground park near a chippy, dozens on route on way to

SMS, eat while you walk

Don’t eat option: intermittent fasting of c16 hours is proven to burn fat, repair damaged cells, regulate blood sugar levels and give you a general feeling of wellbeing. If you have a late lunch then don’t eat again until breakfast you’ll have fasted for the recommend period of time leading to better you

So the choice is yours pal, have a burger in the ground and die early, or find an alternative route. Depending on your lifestyle and willpower it’s up to you but I’d go for options 3 or 5.

There is even an option 6. Deliveroo. Get them to meet you when you arrive home or in Southampton.

To be Blunt there really is no excuse to eat at football these days.

I like to get a disgusting cheese burger from one of the mobile units outside the ground. It’s generally swimming in grease and flat as a pancake, but it really is the only time I ever get to eat that kind of shît, so I grab the opportunity with both hands. The flavour and texture takes me back to my childhood and the BSE burgers of the 80s. Just a little vice.

• 1 month later...

I see a new option has appeared on the Ticketing Website under the Tickets drop down menu, "Gasworks Match Pass" as a new item selling for £10 for singe match entry only, provided you have a ST or match ticket, entitles entry before the match and for an hour after the match finished. Must be a few short on the predicted membership take up they implemented this season for £234 this season.

I see a new option has appeared on the Ticketing Website under the Tickets drop down menu, "Gasworks Match Pass" as a new item selling for £10 for singe match entry only, provided you have a ST or match ticket, entitles entry before the match and for an hour after the match finished. Must be a few short on the predicted membership take up they implemented this season for £234 this season.

You have to pay £10.00 just to go in there?

So another great move by the club. A membership fee of over £200 resulted in about 30 people being inside while many regulars boycotted or didn’t want to pay. Even worse, it turns out that away fans, complete with replica kit can purchase match day hospitaltality in there, and then take their seat in the Kingsland for the match. Absolutely mind numbing stupidity. Counting down to when it all kicks off. Yes I decided to pay to be a member, but I still don’t agree with it. Halo are not going to make a penny out of this and this facility should be run by the club.

Agree.

I miss the old family bar that it used to be within living memory.

It’s very quiet. Easy to get a beer, and loads of places to sit down. Just the job.

No surprise really, further up the thread we said what an absolute rip off it was and it would fail. The market just isn't there at Saints for this sort of thing. They be much better off just making it a members bar.