Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

You make a good point, but the fans can in some ways be excused for not caring or questioning where the funds were coming from. They (rightly or wrongly) expect those charged with running the club to do so prudently, and with good business principles and accumen.

The FAPL should be the ones open to question about this whole sorry affair as they are the ones who should have been taking a 'business' eye view on procedings at Pompey and not a 'fans' eye view. They appear now to be taking 'an interest' once the iceburg has been hit - and we all know the outcome of that, don't we?

What a load of nonsense, their fans craved success, lapped it up and gloated, they didn't care for one moment about prudence, good business principles and accumen. They knew all along the team was being funded by gun runner's blood money, they knew it was an unsustainable business model.

They obviously couldn't do anything about it, and you can't blame them for lapping up their success but to turn round now and cry like a bunch of babies and protest is just pathetic. You see the retards being interviewed on TV, the mongs seem to think they have a devine right to have some dumb billionaire pour money into their crap hole just so they can lord it over others.

Their club is going down the crapper and they will just have to accept the fact that they were willing parties in everything that has caused it.

Just saw this on wiki:

"Due to the credit crisis the Horsea Island development has been put on hold. The previous proposal to rotate the existing pitch at Fratton Park by 90 degrees has been re-instated. Work is due to begin late 2009, with a gradual increase in capacity until completion in 2010 ending with a capacity of 30,000"

I presume that's not happening now then?

lololololol

What a load of nonsense, their fans craved success, lapped it up and gloated, they didn't care for one moment about prudence, good business principles and accumen. They knew all along the team was being funded by gun runner's blood money, they knew it was an unsustainable business model.

They obviously couldn't do anything about it, and you can't blame them for lapping up their success but to turn round now and cry like a bunch of babies and protest is just pathetic. You see the retards being interviewed on TV, the mongs seem to think they have a devine right to have some dumb billionaire pour money into their crap hole just so they can lord it over others.

Their club is going down the crapper and they will just have to accept the fact that they were willing parties in everything that has caused it.

Get real Aint! Its Portsmouth FC, not Economists FC! I actually keep a pretty tight control on my own finances and save like a MF for a hoped for early retirement. However when it came to my Football fan life I showed no such restraint, I wanted the madness, I enjoyed it, I didn't think about tomorrow, who as a football fan in honesty does (Without the benefit of Hindsight)? Football is my escape from the grind, I'd do it all again. No regrets or *****ing from me, I saw my team lift the FA Cup at Wembley!. I had no control over who came in then, what happens now or whats going to happen in the future. It's a rollercoaster ride on which we the fans are just passengers, we've had the ups, now its time for the big dipper! And for one final piece of perspective, I'd rather Portsmouth FC died than any of my friends or family. (I know crazy innit!) :D :D

still reading online papers;..

Portsmouth for example, who had a pretty poor 2009, even by the standards of Tiger Woods, say, or Michael Jackson impersonators. To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, who wrote this column some years before me: to have been "bought" by one shallow-pocketed Arabian businessman is misfortune, but to have been "bought" by two in the same year, well, that's just bloody stupid. And to find yourself selling your entire first team must rank as pretty low on the wishlist of any sports fan

Get real Aint! Its Portsmouth FC, not Economists FC!

I actually agree with this - If it turned out that Markus was a gun-runner or something, I don't think it would really matter to us Saints fans.

I'm not sure high spending got you the Cup, it was more a slice of luck that got you there (Ipswich, Plymouth, Preston, Man Utd, West Brom and Cardiff is a pretty easy set of draws). We got to the final and you did without spending money we didn't have.

Spending money you didn't have got you into the Premier League and kept you there. But remember, Saints stayed in the top flight year after year with team payrolls that were regularly in the bottom three. It might not have been pretty, but we did do it without our owners putting a penny into the club for a decade or more.

I wouldn't say that the FA Cup win was tainted, every team that's won anything in the Premier League era has bought it but is it really as good a memory in hindsight as you're making out, is it worth what Pompey are going through now.

You are a skate sir! I have seen your username on that dirrty skate forum! FISH! FISH! FISH! ;)

I have been called many things in my time, (including 'early'), but never have I been accused of being a supporter of Skatesburg Dis-united, and never have I 'posted' on the opposition forums. You should try Specsavers.

Just how far on the East side of So'ton DO YOU dwell, Gosport,?. or Leigh Park.?

Happy New Year one and all. Just spent a great couple of hours catching up from page 93.

This thread really does need to be moved to another level, it has it's repetitions but it also charts the story so well :-) A charity book says FF, nah, maybe should be published for Skates as a Stephen King style horror story - could end up being long enough for a sequel to The Dome or The Stand.

Had a great week in Thailand, but had some strange "karma" moments. The immigration guy at the airport - "Oh you from Dubai, Thaksin, very good he come back making one day he big like football you football fan?"

Talking football in one of the late lamented UP's favourite bars, Long Gun, "Thaksin he good he want football."

Then all those strange allegations before I went away, secretive visits to Industrial estates and centres of Thai excellence.

Al Fahim - a one trick pony who believed his own hype, but in fact when he had his so called moment of glory with Man City he was really just a broker.

I wonder whether this all went down the tubes because he was fronting for one of Dubai's more well known exiles who got knocked back when his fronts didn't fit.

Separately, I wonder if this whole strange (and unrelated to anyone named anywhere on here) entourage of supposed money laundering types dotted around the world would have become short of cash in early December.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/dec/08/india-arrests-naresh-kumar-jain

I really think that while we are laughing our socks off and making snide jokes, I wonder whether somewhere, somehow there is a lot more troublesome and worrying depth to this whole sorry mess?

Perhaps some of that depth could be why this whole scenario will continue to run.

This really could become one of those things that could be WAY to dangerous for ANYBODY to allow to fail.

(Oh and is it just me that had a smirk when I notice that it's The Mail that seems to enjoy keeping sticking a knife in, wonder if Old Rupe's mate Charles Sale is enjoying all this)

Perhaps we should re-word one of the Noughties more annoying "salutations" just for the Blue Few, instead of Onwards & Upwards, we can greet them wth

Backwards & Downwards

Reference the link in your post DP it states links to South Africa,Pompey have links to Standard Bank in South Africa.Very tenuous,agreed,maybe just wishful thinking on my part.

Happy new year to you.

Why thanks for the wishes SL.

As you noted and for clarification, I haven't even remotely speculated that the Grauniad article has any relevance to "football in general", but the whole story behind that Jain guy shows up how immense that "business sector" is, $8mil a day being cleaned through a Dubai company according to some reports. Was Sultan Bin Trump naively thinking he could tap into some kind of greyworld to fund his deal?

While this place has a lot of sound and solid businessmen, it does also have an "undercard", of which this alleged Jain bloke & his "White House are but a small part.

I've watched that story for a while, just itching to find any possible link to "arms" but so far nothing.....

But in a different direction, did I see a very tenuous comment in one article about Al Faraj "being supposedly linked to the Saudi Ministry of Defence" somewhere back around page 94 or so.......... Oh now THAT would be a story too big to be allowed to come out. Yikes, no way I'm typing the next step in THAT train of thought...

Anyway, RAPIDLY changing the subject before my internet gets cut off, & I take an "unplanned" vacation, Coventry losing today in the light of all that has happened this week would probably go down as one of the Big FA Cup shocks of recent times :D

Edited by dubai_phil

Happy New Year one and all. Just spent a great couple of hours catching up from page 93.

This thread really does need to be moved to another level, it has it's repetitions but it also charts the story so well :-) A charity book says FF, nah, maybe should be published for Skates as a Stephen King style horror story - could end up being long enough for a sequel to The Dome or The Stand.

Had a great week in Thailand, but had some strange "karma" moments. The immigration guy at the airport - "Oh you from Dubai, Thaksin, very good he come back making one day he big like football you football fan?"

Talking football in one of the late lamented UP's favourite bars, Long Gun, "Thaksin he good he want football."

Then all those strange allegations before I went away, secretive visits to Industrial estates and centres of Thai excellence.

Al Fahim - a one trick pony who believed his own hype, but in fact when he had his so called moment of glory with Man City he was really just a broker.

I wonder whether this all went down the tubes because he was fronting for one of Dubai's more well known exiles who got knocked back when his fronts didn't fit.

Separately, I wonder if this whole strange (and unrelated to anyone named anywhere on here) entourage of supposed money laundering types dotted around the world would have become short of cash in early December.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/dec/08/india-arrests-naresh-kumar-jain

I really think that while we are laughing our socks off and making snide jokes, I wonder whether somewhere, somehow there is a lot more troublesome and worrying depth to this whole sorry mess?

Perhaps some of that depth could be why this whole scenario will continue to run.

This really could become one of those things that could be WAY to dangerous for ANYBODY to allow to fail.

(Oh and is it just me that had a smirk when I notice that it's The Mail that seems to enjoy keeping sticking a knife in, wonder if Old Rupe's mate Charles Sale is enjoying all this)

Perhaps we should re-word one of the Noughties more annoying "salutations" just for the Blue Few, instead of Onwards & Upwards, we can greet them wth

Backwards & Downwards

Can i assume this means they will keep finding last minute money and perhaps they will cruise off again into the sunset smelling of roses.

Can i assume this means they will keep finding last minute money and perhaps they will cruise off again into the sunset smelling of roses.

Oh no.

It may mean they'll find enough money to scrape by and then slowly slide into the depths rather than any sunset.

There's a big difference behind being a doormat where everything is brushed under you and a sitting at the top table with your dirty laundry showing.

It ain't anything gossip-wise Nick, just analysing how they have been allowed to hang on so long

More protests planned today by the skates :)

Taken from daily mirror

"Even victory, however, will not change the air of frustration among fans at Fratton Park who plan further protests today after bombarding chief executive Peter Storrie and the board with chants of: "Where's All Our Money Gone?" during Wednesday night's 4-1 defeat to Arsenal"

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Portsmouth-chief-Avram-Grant-hoping-for-FA-Cup-victory-to-lift-gloom-at-Fratton-Park-article273707.html

More protests planned today by the skates :)

Taken from daily mirror

"Even victory, however, will not change the air of frustration among fans at Fratton Park who plan further protests today after bombarding chief executive Peter Storrie and the board with chants of: "Where's All Our Money Gone?" during Wednesday night's 4-1 defeat to Arsenal"

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Portsmouth-chief-Avram-Grant-hoping-for-FA-Cup-victory-to-lift-gloom-at-Fratton-Park-article273707.html

@where has all the money gone' song is a nonsense, the same as when it was sung here. I and many others were banging on to the Skates about the mad wages they were paying. It was stated in the press 2 years ago that Crouchie was on 90k a week. That is every week, add to that all the star players they werre buying adding to their unsustainable wage bill. They at least can say 'well we won the cup' , how they'd feel now if they hadn't lord knows.

PL football clubs are very hungry animals to feed and unless you have a man prepared to lose millions a year you are in trouble with their attendance. The tv money is swallowed up very quickly and at long last there is real common sense coming to those clubs and their spending.

If we make it back in the next 5 years i sense there will be realisim and we may be able to compete with the majority.

Oh no.

It may mean they'll find enough money to scrape by and then slowly slide into the depths rather than any sunset.

There's a big difference behind being a doormat where everything is brushed under you and a sitting at the top table with your dirty laundry showing.

It ain't anything gossip-wise Nick, just analysing how they have been allowed to hang on so long

Phil, thanks, hope you had a good holiday.

I actually agree with this - If it turned out that Markus was a gun-runner or something, I don't think it would really matter to us Saints fans.

I'm not sure high spending got you the Cup, it was more a slice of luck that got you there (Ipswich, Plymouth, Preston, Man Utd, West Brom and Cardiff is a pretty easy set of draws). We got to the final and you did without spending money we didn't have.

Spending money you didn't have got you into the Premier League and kept you there. But remember, Saints stayed in the top flight year after year with team payrolls that were regularly in the bottom three. It might not have been pretty, but we did do it without our owners putting a penny into the club for a decade or more.

I wouldn't say that the FA Cup win was tainted, every team that's won anything in the Premier League era has bought it but is it really as good a memory in hindsight as you're making out, is it worth what Pompey are going through now.

Excellent post. Was it worth it? Probably not, well if Pompey go out of business then definately not. I think you made a good point, we never bought the FA cup, we lucked our way to the trophy, I think any Pompey side within the last 7 seasons would probably of won the cup in 2008. The key to that cup win was beating Man Yoo at old Trafford, and how they didn't win i'll never know, they even played quite well! The gods were with us in 2008, just as they've deserted us now. The point id like to clarify again is that as a Pompey fan I had no real influence over what went on before, now or probably in the future. I can only experience the ride. The FA cup was fantastic, whats happening now is ****, meh....thats life. If I wanted more GUARANTEED highs I'd support Man Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal (When the dust settles I might have too!) ;-)

Excellent post. Was it worth it? Probably not, well if Pompey go out of business then definately not. I think you made a good point, we never bought the FA cup, we lucked our way to the trophy, I think any Pompey side within the last 7 seasons would probably of won the cup in 2008. The key to that cup win was beating Man Yoo at old Trafford, and how they didn't win i'll never know, they even played quite well! The gods were with us in 2008, just as they've deserted us now. The point id like to clarify again is that as a Pompey fan I had no real influence over what went on before, now or probably in the future. I can only experience the ride. The FA cup was fantastic, whats happening now is ****, meh....thats life. If I wanted more GUARANTEED highs I'd support Man Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal (When the dust settles I might have too!) ;-)
have you thought of asking Tony Lynham for help?......apologies, that was a bit naughty

Happy New Year

Reasonable post - and that is why we will welcome you as a saints fans when this sorry tale is over.

You know you want to

Oh and is it just me that had a smirk when I notice that it's The Mail that seems to enjoy keeping sticking a knife in, wonder if Old Rupe's mate Charles Sale is enjoying all this

Looking at my tea leaves this morning there are indeed signs that Mr Lowe is in tha background stirring things up. It will emerge that he was pulling some strings which helped reveal some of PFC's darker secrets and ultimately lead to their demise.

He will then be welcomed back to St Mary's as a hero and take over from Mr Leibherr once our Swiss saviour's mission of returning the club back to Premiership football has been accomplished.

Damn tea leaves - I'm sticking to beer in future.....

Looking at my tea leaves this morning there are indeed signs that Mr Lowe is in tha background stirring things up. It will emerge that he was pulling some strings which helped reveal some of PFC's darker secrets and ultimately lead to their demise.

He will then be welcomed back to St Mary's as a hero and take over from Mr Leibherr once our Swiss saviour's mission of returning the club back to Premiership football has been accomplished.

How much beer did you have in that teacup?

Jeez, HOW MUCH did you have to drink on NYE? I thought me & the GF were pretty splattered and pretty grim yesterday but strewth....

But wow the second scary thought of the day.

Trousers, you frighten me at times.

Severely!

Storrie has just been on the Quay radio station apparently...

Players will definately be sold.

We have no bank loans outstanding!!!!

However we are in the process of taking out one large bank loan!!!

Just said on sky that the wages will HOPEFULLY be paid on Monday or Tuesday thanks to a short term loan & A big loan is nearly agreed for long term Future????

Just said on sky that the wages will HOPEFULLY be paid on Monday or Tuesday thanks to a short term loan & A big loan is nearly agreed for long term Future????

How bizarre - because the explanation for non-payment of wages was that there had been a hitch with an electronic file :confused:

But now they're waiting for a loan to pay the wages.

Will the lies never end?

They are going to survive by the skin of their teeth,with no penalties whatsoever,i can feel it.

that is what im fearing too. They've done enough wrong already to be punished, but we know how gutless the PL are.

....let's just brush it under the carpet.

well don't you agree they should be punished for failing to pay their staff on time, 3 months in a row?

Not if there aren't already the rules in place to punish them for this in the league, no, not outside of the consequences of what's written in the contract.

Remember how much we were kicking up because the Football League decided to punish us when it didn't appear they had any rules in place to punish us, and ended up getting around it by deciding we were essentially the same company, thereby tenuously staying inside their own rules?

If there are sanctions they could take but aren't because it'd look bad though, that's a completely different matter.