Skates

SET

If I was this guy, I would buy Newcastle well before Portsmouth. The cost isn't much different considering the debts, and the potential at Newcastle is much bigger than Poopey. Reading is more attractive that them down the road, as are a plethora of other clubs.

How much would you pay for an FA cup win over Cardiff City when the top teams no longer consider it a worthy trophy anyway - the actual existence of your club?

Nice one Harry, you and Storrie have really excelled yourselves this time.

I reckon they must have three weeks to save the club on two fronts - if they don't find and spend £10-15M on players they can wave goodbye to the Prem, if they don't find any money at all the debts will be called in and the club could stutter into oblivion via consecutive relegations or even a winding up.

When we slipped into league one it was like we were tramps being moved on to a less comfortable park bench, they are heading for eviction from a penthouse straight into a skip.

I don't wish them out of business, just for them to languish in the bottom half of league two, so I am ticking off every day of the transfer window with great joy, it's a clock ticking over their Prem survival.

And for those who say they don't care, try living further east.

Having started so badly and declined rapidly, 2009 could still be a fantastic year for us.

Spot on.

Living and working with the Blue Few (plus a number of JCL's), they seems to be under the impression that some white knight will just ride in to replace the Fake Shiek and save them at the 11th hours. No, no, and again, no. It's not going to happen.

I'm having to restrain myself, although it's getting more and more difficult not to grin when I make eye contact with one of the fish fiddlers.

both deluded about having good fans and put to shame by likes of Norwich.

think skates are beating Newcastle for being most laughed at

Whatever you say about Newcastle you cannot deride their supporters who turn up in huge numbers week in week out to see a load of poo. Norwich put them to shame?

Back to Portsmouth.......what a lovely moment in time this is for us to enjoy..

Newcastle - 14,000 season tickets this year their first in CCC

Norwich 20,000+ for league 1.

Newcastle have big support in prem but died down last time they got relegated (lower than ours) and looks like it will this year.

I would rather team with constant support than one that so dramatically peaks for good times ala Newcastle. Not good support imho

Newcastle - 14,000 season tickets this year their first in CCC

Norwich 20,000+ for league 1.

Newcastle have big support in prem but died down last time they got relegated (lower than ours) and looks like it will this year.

I would rather team with constant support than one that so dramatically peaks for good times ala Newcastle. Not good support imho

It will be interesting to see the attendance statistics at the end of the season....not just pre-season ticket sales. I'd be a little surprised to say the least if Norwich out do Newcastle. I think they are also suffering with the 'Chairman Syndrome' up there with a certain Mr Ashley who appears to be making a grand job of destroying the club.

Anyway, back to the cannon fodder down the road...

Newcastle

prem since 94 crowds 33,000 to 50,000

CCC seasons examples - 1992, 21000;

1991, 16000;

1989, 22000

Norwich last season 25,000

strangely looking at their averages they have done better in CCC than top flight, maybe its prices.

Pompey "stars" David Nugent and Marc Wilson are alledged to have been involved with a 5am drunken fight... They apparently ripped metal poles from their wardrobes and attacked each other...

You can imagine the scene...

"No you can stay and play for the tossers..."

"No YOU can stop and play for the tossers..."

Seems it is true...bless him. Apparantley Nugent tried to hit him back but missed.....boom tish

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5474160,00.html

Exactly!

The outlay for any replacement/future buyer is:

1) For the club - probably not much by the look of it.

2) Running costs for the rest of the season. I suspect that they will be loss making so this could be significant.

3) On going loan repayments. Unless he buys them from an administrator of course.

4) New players to attempt to stay up.

5) New Stadium - Not straight away but will be required to create a sustainable business.

6) Training Ground - As for 5.

Finding somebody prepared to buy them when all of the above will be required is going to be VERY VERY hard.

If they go into administration they could be the first prem team to disappear altogether.

If you think back to the "liquidation" vs "sale to an investor" discussions that we had when we were in Administration and apply the same arguments to the Skates...

What do they have that an administrator would be able to get more from a new investor for then he would by shutting up shop?

Players? There are still some valuable players left... but a number of them are out of contract at the end of the season and you might be able to sell the others in January prior to liquidating.

The Ground? No

Training Ground? No

The only thing really going for them is their league status... Somebody might buy them with a view to getting back into the prem at the first attempt but given the need to pay for the new stadium etc (see above) there must be many many other clubs which offer a more attractive proposition.

When you look at it like that then surely the minimum amount required to make Pompey anyway near a viable top five side is at least £100 million?

A new stadium?

A new training ground?

4 or 5 decent players?

and that's assuming that a new ground would cost anywhere near what ours cost. I'm assuming a 35,000 seater has gone waaaay up in price since ours..

All in all, not a good time for Pompey methinks...

The Skates really do need to be in the division below us for me. When we are above them again in our rightful place, nothing would give me greater satisfaction than to see all the Skate shirts disappear from my local Sainsburys at Hedge End. If they are locals, then hopefully they will be too ashamed to wear the Skate colours and then the only way that I will know whether they are are from Pompey or not will be if their fat slag wives are covered in tattoos.

What a bitter little old man you are......

I caught Sky Sports early this morning and a journalist was discussing the plight of Portsmuff with the presenter. The journalist, a Londoner with no local axe to grind, described PFC as 'a joke' and 'a basket case', and stated that the previous day he had attended a pre-season press seminar where he and thirty other senior journalists were asked to record their tips for the top and for the bottom of the Prem. Apparently, all those present had the blue few relegated.

How I would love to pass them on the way up next season...

You're really enjoying this, MOG.

Good, isn't it?

Oh come on guys! Where's the sympathy for our fellow football fans in these dire and humiliating times for them?

F'ing nowhere, skate bastards!!! HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loving every second of this :-)

Forget what? The stick that they were giving us over the last few weeks and years. What goes around comes around.

And I think you will find that attitude came because of your lot mostly giving us abuse and laughing when we were in admin and near extinction.

Tbh I think it's the fact that we remember all too clearly that makes it even sweeter. I don't too many of them shed tears for us somehow?

I don't remember many (any?) of our resident skates praying for our demise tbh.

FMPR...honest question here.

How is old Saggychops viewed down your way now? Milan seems like a saint in comparison I bet.. (no pun intended)..

I think the tide has actually turned a little in view of our financial predicament which is one of the few things that he said was true however he would have been viewed as Legend forever if he actually bothered to stick through the pain with us rather than jump ship at the earliest opportunity.

Lets face it he generally gets his teams playing for him which would have come in handy but I can see his going might have turned out to be a blessing in disguise as if he had stayed would as many players have wanted to leave?

But we are in serious do do, I dont think we will go out of business all together but we might have a younger team than you did last year and playing in a far harder league :D Which will only result in one thing, the big R.

But nothing we can do other than hope Fahims takeover happens and other people deliver some serious quality otherwise its going to be a lllllloooooonnnnnnggggggg way to Xmas

Hard one to call really......my dad who is also Saints thro' and thro' always tried to play down the "rivalry" between our clubs.

Ever since meeting some P**pey fans on the tube before the '84 semi final against Everton who had bought tickets just to come and cause trouble I've had a dark view.

Plenty of them were gloating at our problems in the last few yrs.

I guess if they folded I'd miss the enjoyment of looking at the results each week to see if they had lost.

If they don't sort out a buyer, guess they will want to go into admin before the cut off point to avoid starting -10 in the CCC.

Unfortunately, I work in Portsmouth and am surrounded by Poopey fans. I can remember their joy and glee when we were relegated to the CCC and when I arrived at work each morning all you could here were choruses of 'things go better with coke' or 'it's the real thing' etc etc.

Though we are a level one team I prefer to be in our position than theirs.

Unfortunately, I work in Portsmouth and am surrounded by Poopey fans. I can remember their joy and glee when we were relegated to the CCC and when I arrived at work each morning all you could here were choruses of 'things go better with coke' or 'it's the real thing' etc etc.

Though we are a level one team I prefer to be in our position than theirs.

last post of the day: But isnt relegation what the majority of southampton fans have been wanting to happen to Pompey for the last gods knows how many years to let the "natural" order of things happen again.

Well see what happens, you boys have got to get out of league one first which is a hard enough task in itself.

Redknapp knew exactly what he was doing with the timing of his departure. The media all still seem to think he's wonderful despite leaving a trail of misery behind him.

Bournemouth have never recovered financially from his reign, despite only 1 season in a higher division before relegation. We weren't even in the bottom 3 when he came to Saints, safely mid-table the season before, but he received no media criticism for our demise. West Ham had the 5th highest wage bill but achieved nothing whilst he was there - still to sort themselves out financially. The wage bill at the Skates was colossal and obviously unsustainable without an Abramovich-type owner - he got out whilst the going was good. He still spending money like water at Spurs and will continue to do so until he gets stopped.

Next thing you know he will be in the media expressing his sympathy at the Skates' demise, without any journalist hinting at his hypocrisy.

I think the tide has actually turned a little in view of our financial predicament which is one of the few things that he said was true however he would have been viewed as Legend forever if he actually bothered to stick through the pain with us rather than jump ship at the earliest opportunity.

Lets face it he generally gets his teams playing for him which would have come in handy but I can see his going might have turned out to be a blessing in disguise as if he had stayed would as many players have wanted to leave?

But we are in serious do do, I dont think we will go out of business all together but we might have a younger team than you did last year and playing in a far harder league :D Which will only result in one thing, the big R.

But nothing we can do other than hope Fahims takeover happens and other people deliver some serious quality otherwise its going to be a lllllloooooonnnnnnggggggg way to Xmas

Cheers for the response. From speaking to one of my mates (ironically a Pompey fan) he seems quite disillusioned by it all - 'I'll believe it when I see it' is what he said to me.

Storrie seems like Mr Teflon though doesn't he? After all, he was the one who negotiated all these top money contracts - I mean £110k pw for Campbell??? - he wheels out Al Fahim to sit in the stands before the deal is done...and seems to backtrack quicker than a cleaner walking into Jordan's hotel room...

Well I for one wish you good luck next season, when we overtake you (and we will ;) ), I would like us both to be in the top league. That can only be good for South Coast football in general.

Whilst your plight may seem critical right now, you never know how people are going to react to adversity - as I stated elsewhere on this thread - it makes some stronger.

I think that you have to adopt a 'last year Hull City' approach, in that everybody is going to think that you are the whipping boys - but you go out with nothing to prove and effectively nothing to loose, and give it a right good go. Yes Hull stayed up by the skin of thier teeth last season - but right now that is probably your number one objective. (Apart of course from your deluded few who are probably still thinking that European football is a goer...!). Personally, I think you could pull it off as well.

Do I want you to feel the pain and suffering that we have over the last 5 years or so - damn right I do. But I want us to inflict that suffering on you fair and square next time we both meet at your dump... sorry - I meant ground, honest..! Good Luck.

WealdSaint, I think you will find that we were fourth from bottom, and he had plenty of time to turn us around. We hadn't dropped off the bottom of the league and none of the promoted clubs had big money to spend - it should have been one of the easiest years to stay up. He didn't have to bring in Callum Davenport to replace Killer; he could have actually signed somebody competent. Blackburn bought Ryan Nelson for peanuts around that time, but then Redknapp knows nothing about signing bargains.

I think back just a couple of months ago when one of the thumbless knuckle dragging skates at work was bragging about the only problem they had was how the new stadium was going to be decorated,gold or diamonds!! Just to clarify,some of the skates at work are sound,a lot aren't. Times they are a' changin'