Is AP's job in danger today should we lose?

countysaint

I know it sounds like scaremongering,but having heard Mr.Cortese putting the pressure on to get back to winning ways at Norwich,the dismal result on Tuesday coupled with another bad result at home lose or draw,would you be surprised if he was given the tin tack after a home loss today?

Just for the record I am happy with AP and more than prepared to give him another season, so this is not a personal wish just a general question.

Not so sure about that

But not this month with a Wembley trip next month I would have thought

Look at our squad, I am 100% sure we will rip through 80% of the teams in this division next season following several months of playing together and a pre-season. People need to realise we might have a future that doesn't involve changing the manager every 8 months.

No IMO

what pards does have is from now to the end if the season to show that with this group of players we could win the league next year.

Dropping points at Wycombe regardless of who we have just played is not showing us that form

I'm sure he will get it right again as he has ha to chop and change his team alot lately due to the cup games

I am going today and expect a win

Look at our squad, I am 100% sure we will rip through 80% of the teams in this division next season following several months of playing together and a pre-season. People need to realise we might have a future that doesn't involve changing the manager every 8 months.

I dont disagree with what you are saying but if we do not have a good start next season who knows what NC will do.

I know it sounds like scaremongering,but having heard Mr.Cortese putting the pressure on to get back to winning ways at Norwich,the dismal result on Tuesday coupled with another bad result at home lose or draw,would you be surprised if he was given the tin tack after a home loss today?

Just for the record I am happy with AP and more than prepared to give him another season, so this is not a personal wish just a general question.

imo if someone had offered NC 4 points from those 2 games he would have accepted gladly. Yes, having beaten Norwich we really should have put Wycombe away too. Two clean sheets would have been seen as a positive.

No IMO

what pards does have is from now to the end if the season to show that with this group of players we could win the league next year.

Dropping points at Wycombe regardless of who we have just played is not showing us that form

I'm sure he will get it right again as he has ha to chop and change his team alot lately due to the cup games

Mind you I expect to win most weeks but it does not always happen.

I would be extremely surprised if we lost today.

As I said it is not my wish to change managers as I do think that AP will get us where we want to be.

The question was asked because I think that NC was publicly applying the pressure before the Norwich game and after the Wycombe game would he sit back and accept a Home defeat to Walsall?

I was of the impression at the begining that ML and NC were going to do things incrimentaly and take one step at a time.This doesn't seem to be the case now and I wonder if NC would like to flex a little bit of his muscle and show that the current results that we have achieved are not what he promised ML and therefor he could be tempted to make the change(I hope not too)

I'd be both amazed and appalled if it happened but it won't. I really have never been more bemused in my 40+ years of supporting Saints at these regular posts about Pardew's job being on the line. For me he has done a very good job and made some top rate signings. What I perhaps find most bizarre is that any reasonable Saints fan would have been very happy with 4 points from 2 away games, all that happened is that we played extremely well v Norwich and won but underperformed at Wycombe and drew. Lost count of how many times I have seen that happen and some of the reactions on here are quite frankly nonsense though I accept the original post was a question and not countysaint's own opinion.

Have we learnt nothing from our own mistakes( and of many other teams) in replacing Managers at the drop of a hat. Is it any coincidence that clubs like Man U, Villa, Everton and Fulham to name but 4 are doing well ( at least in relation to their realistic expectations) but other clubs including most of those at the bottom of the PL not to mention QPR amongst others lower down are struggling ?

No IMO

Exactly this

Agree 100% with Delldays and JohnB. There would be no point in changing the manager this season. This squad is not suddenly going to perform really badly, even with Pardew's defensive approach to selection, but if it did, NC would not gain anything by a manager change this year. Despite the talk of 18-months, Pardew will be under pressure from the word Go next season because of the money spent already, not to mention the probabilty of one or two more signings close season. For AP to be completely safe, I'd say it has to be top two by October. I'm not suggesting its fair, but football management is a hard world.

What rubbish. He is building a team...............................................

Yes but what happens if the team is not performing well

What should happen then thats the problem

Could somebody else do better

It is not yours or my decision

Norwich got rid of Gunn and are riding high Man City got rid of Hughes and are no better and Bolton without Megson dont seem to have improved

Edited by John B

What rubbish. He is building a team...............................................

While this is true, and very few people would argue with his signings, even the reservations expressed by some about Otsemobor and Seaborne look mistaken, but a manager has to do more than just build a team, he has to make the players perform, has to get his selections and tactics right and has to use his substitutions to good effect. Those are the areas where Pardew looks weaker, whereas he looks strong on team building. But he's got some good advisers in Wilkins and Downes so hopefully together they can get more consistency.

No IMO

Good post.

If we seriously believe we can get out of this division we have to expect to win every home game and most away games. By that I mean that that's the standard we should demand from our players and management.

That's not being disrespectful to other teams, it's just a fact.

If we want automatic promotion next season we have to start getting results (and mostly wins, not draws) virtually every week and show a level of form far above that which most Southampton fans have ever seen.

I just hope that the players don't think in the way some of you so called supporters do. It's fine having an opinion, but come on...why worry about something that is out of our hands? Is anyone going to risk stability by booing AP to try to get him sacked if we don't get into the playoffs this season?

My message to the OP and all the others contemplating AP's position is simple - do what you can to influence success now by supporting the team FFS. Don't think negatively - there's no reason for it - certainly not yet anyway!

Good post.

If we want automatic promotion next season we have to start getting results (and mostly wins, not draws) virtually every week and show a level of form far above that which most Southampton fans have ever seen.

Excellent point. Probably why so many are delighted when we win 3 games in a row.

We have to win most weeks next season. Sure we will drop points but we have to win away lot more

would very very much doubt it.

I fully expect AP to be sacked at half-time today unless we are at least 10-0 up.

If we are 11th at this time next season your question might be reasonable, but NC is a sensible bloke, he appointed AP for the long term and thankfully is not stupid like his predecessor.

I fully expect AP to be sacked at half-time today unless we are at least 10-0 up.

If we are 11th at this time next season your question might be reasonable, but NC is a sensible bloke, he appointed AP for the long term and thankfully is not stupid like his predecessor.

You say thankfully

yet we do not know this

Not a chance. If they get rid of him they won't do it before the summer at least. Why bring in a new manager at the tail end of the season? No window to bring in his own players, and not much of a chance to make an impact. We'll be comfortably in a high mid-table position at the end of the season IMO, and with the Wembley final and a potential trophy on its way, it would be silliness.

Jam is dead right. After the Wycombe game I had a thought that NC had to heap the pressure on us. All the top clubs such as Manchester United and Real Madrid have to win every game, or at the very least expect to. Creating that winning mentality has to run right through the club. NC has to expect to win, AP has to, and so do the team. When young players go to top teams such as Man U and Madrid often they struggle to adjust to this pressure. By applying it now, and rightly so, it give our players time to adjust for next season, when it will definitely be on. AP said by the end of the season he expects us to be a top 2 team, this means the best in the league in terms of quality not league placing. This season is a learning process for players like lallana, james, and the like, even Kelvin who have been used to losing matches since the playoff season in the championship.

PS I am not saying in any way we are like Madrid or Manure, just that next season we will have to expect to win every game regardless who we are playing and where, and to be champions. I know this is impossible (winning every game), but if you dont aim for the top then whats the point in competition?

No IMO

Spot on imo

Commonsense - Please end these silly sack the manager threads they are boring.

just heard his interview, it does kind of sound like a slap towards the people who are moaning about the performances.

he had a point too - the stats don't lie, and since the rovers home game back in October, we have been outstanding. The only reason we're not higher up is because of our start to the season, which was understandable.

Since he's got his team together, we've been unplayable at times - obviously we're not going to win every game, I'm just worried that Nicola seems to think we should.

Please don't turn us into QPR - you've done everything right so far nicola.

Quote:

Originally Posted by S-Clarke viewpost.gif

don't quote me on this, it's just a rumour - but apparently he has been told by Nicola that if we don't get the top 6 by the end of the season - then he's off.

talk about pressure.

Well, if Saints miss out on the playoffs, but end up within 10 points of them, there is but one person to blame.

2a0463650258bb5c509d4c5cff6adc25.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by S-Clarke viewpost.gif

don't quote me on this, it's just a rumour - but apparently he has been told by Nicola that if we don't get the top 6 by the end of the season - then he's off.

talk about pressure.

Well, if Saints miss out on the playoffs, but end up within 10 points of them, there is but one person to blame.

2a0463650258bb5c509d4c5cff6adc25.jpg

That I'll agree with. Let's hope it is the very last time his shadow is cast over SFC affairs.

No IMO

The dropping of the points alone against Wycombe is not the issue, it's the performance that is the issue. One of our better displays this season was the loss against Bristol Rovers, the performance was there, just the result that was missing.

It's when we don't put in a performance that the worry sets in, something down to ourselves and little to do with the opposition. I heard someone quote from the programme that Pardew admitted he got it wrong against Wycombe, be interested to know if that is true. Something was wrong, we never even won a corner the whole game.

March will tell us all we need to know, irrespective of Carlisle.