McGoldrick

Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

Did anyone else there today see McG's first half tantrum? It came after he shot rather than crossed and there were chants about him being a greedy b*st*rd (I think it came from the Barnsley end but I'm not sure!).

First he booted the ball away, then he dribbled towards our own goal (admittedly pursued by 2 Barnsley players but with more purpose than he did toward their goal all game) and then he stood on the halfway line, refusing to join in with our next attack.

After the game, Jan mentioned on Radio Hants that one or two of his players are "a bit sweet on themselves" and they needed to lose this if we were to progress - I would presume this was aimed at McG's behaviour today. He does seem to have this air of arrogance but, seemingly, without the substance to back it up, on today's showing anyway.

Did anyone else there today see McG's first half tantrum? It came after he shot rather than crossed and there were chants about him being a greedy b*st*rd (I think it came from the Barnsley end but I'm not sure!).

First he booted the ball away, then he dribbled towards our own goal (admittedly pursued by 2 Barnsley players but with more purpose than he did toward their goal all game) and then he stood on the halfway line, refusing to join in with our next attack.

After the game, Jan mentioned on Radio Hants that one or two of his players are "a bit sweet on themselves" and they needed to lose this if we were to progress - I would presume this was aimed at McG's behaviour today. He does seem to have this air of arrogance but, seemingly, without the substance to back it up, on today's showing anyway.

Yes and he will always try to beat one more man!

Absolutely. Anyone who runs toward his own goal' date=' looking like the petulant kid who deliberately scored own goals at school, has a serious attitude problem. God knows how he'll react if the fans were ever to really get on his back, as happened to Ricardo Fuller.[/quote']

Yeah... and Fuller is twice the player McGoldrick is. Hasn't McG been **** every time he's been on loan somewhere... probably thought it was all beneath him to play in league 1 or whatever.

Should have been taken off as soon as he stopped playing wide. Even when he thought he was wide, he was 10yds inside the touchline.

Tries to run every time he gets the ball.

It is fundamental that the wide players hug the touchline, except when the play is on the other wing, then come in towards corner of the penalty area.

It is the only way we can stretch the defence and give multi passing options for the team.

Every time we have played badly has been when the team is narrow allowing the defence to compact and negating our passing options.

I actually think he could be a very good player for us.

He has more ability than Blackstock or Best IMO, both of whom are showing themselves to be CCC standard strikers.

McGoldrick would benefit with having a STRIKE PARTNER alongside him rather than having to play left wing/right wing/in the hole/up front alone. Start him alongside John IMO.

Unfortunately we seem obsessed with "4-2-1-2-1" whether it suits the players available or not.

Could that be because he is the one in whom they see the most profit when they sell him?

The logical contortions we get into on this board never cease to amaze me. So, on a thread detailing how poor McGoldrick is, we get a post saying that he only plays every week so we can make a profit when we sell him. If he's that bad, who will want to buy him? Or perhaps he's not that bad in which case it would be perverse not to play him. Or perhaps, like all the other players, he's for sale if the price is right but meanwhile we'll play what JP thinks (rightly or wrongly) is our strongest team.

I'm all for discussion of a player's ability but please can we get away from the idea that everything is part of some huge plot to maximise the amount going into Rupert's back pocket?

The logical contortions we get into on this board never cease to amaze me. So, on a thread detailing how poor McGoldrick is, we get a post saying that he only plays every week so we can make a profit when we sell him. If he's that bad, who will want to buy him? Or perhaps he's not that bad in which case it would be perverse not to play him. Or perhaps, like all the other players, he's for sale if the price is right but meanwhile we'll play what JP thinks (rightly or wrongly) is our strongest team.

I'm all for discussion of a player's ability but please can we get away from the idea that everything is part of some huge plot to maximise the amount going into Rupert's back pocket?

It's the one theory that explains everything. ;)

I actually think he could be a very good player for us.

He has more ability than Blackstock or Best IMO, both of whom are showing themselves to be CCC standard strikers.

McGoldrick would benefit with having a STRIKE PARTNER alongside him rather than having to play left wing/right wing/in the hole/up front alone. Start him alongside John IMO.

Unfortunately we seem obsessed with "4-2-1-2-1" whether it suits the players available or not.

Spot on my friend .

McGoldrick ain't no wide player that's for sure. BWP, was equally crap in that position, but at least gave the impression he was giving his best in a position that's not his own.

McGoldrick just seemed to give up after a while (quite a short while), in both an attacking and a defensive sense. I felt sorry for Mills early on, with the complete lack of protection he was offerd by McGoldrick on his debut.

Even so, I have sympathy with McGoldrick ........ he is NOT a right winger, and playing him out on the right will NEVER work

OK, in Holland, players take turns to play in EVERY position, but they do that from the moment they are first coached. ......... It can NOT be done years into a footballer's life.

Poortvliet may be getting more Football out of the players, but he HAS to realise that there are LIMITS

Playing a recognised centre forward out on the right is CRAZY, IMHO, coupled with the fact that Poortvliets tactics stop at the edge of the box, because we have no one with enough CCC muscle to go on and SHOOT

McGoldrick ain't no wide player that's for sure. BWP, was equally crap in that position, but at least gave the impression he was giving his best in a position that's not his own.

McGoldrick just seemed to give up after a while (quite a short while), in both an attacking and a defensive sense. I felt sorry for Mills early on, with the complete lack of protection he was offerd by McGoldrick on his debut.

This was the main problem for me in much of the game. without Holmes and until Drew ws finally pushed out there inthe last 10 minutes we effectively had no one in front of Mills. Whichever of BWP or McGoldrck was supposed to be playing on the left ( and it varied during the game --they swapped ) kept drifting into the middle. At one point both players were wide on the right wing and W-P then crossed to the left where he was supposed to be.

With so little support I thought Mills did amazingly well. He didn't get forward like Drew does, but if he had, we'd have had no defence because there was no one to cover. It HAS to be worth trying Mills at LB with Drew in front of him in a 4-4-2 until Holmes is back -- in fact the formation we finished with. But will Jan be flexible enough to do that or will he stick rigidly to the system he prefers, even though we don't currently have the players to play it?

K.

As far as I remember, Burley got rid of Ricardo because he was on Prem money and, with only 1 year left on his contract, he didn't want to offer him a new, equally well paid deal. He had other, much less talented players to squanders those funds on! I believe he only got a mighty £100k-£150k for him, too, which is wonderful management all round really.

McG does think too much of himself methinks, along with BWP. The latter should be given the heave-ho IMO and the former dropped to the bench for a while. JP needs to have the courage of his convictions in man-management and not give anyone the chance to put themselves before the team. The boy Peckardt wants to play and could pose more of an aerial threat than McG in this league. Try the immobile SJ off the bench if we need to but only if the lad has tried his all and is knackered.

Only just managed to get on here as I've been ill since the Barnsley game. Well, prior to that, although I imagine if I'd been well it would have made me sick.

I didn't mind see young players in a decent system give their all and play the right way even if the results were disappointing. But that's not what happened on Saturday at all. The whole point of this formation was the width, and I know we miss Holmes and no-one has made the right side their own, but Saturday was a joke.

I believe JP made a mistake playing McGoldrick and BWP out there, and playing Thomson left rather than right, although he did ok. But the main culprit wasn't mismanagement or injury problems, it was David McGoldrick's abysmal attitude. I've always been unsure of him, sometimes it's like he could be a good striker, other times he looks awful, but I'm all for giving that more time if someone is trying their best. He simply wasn't.

He point blank refused to stay on the wing. The number of times there was a huge space there, he could have had a couple of tap ins if he'd held position, he would have had the defender one on one countless times. Yet there was no-one there, except when poor old Pekhart saw he had to go and cover the position, so we had a giant centre forward trying to play on the left wing. Worse than that, three times I saw McGoldrick have a tantrum, I lost count of the number of times he simply couldn't be bothered to keep up with play, whether tracking back or getting forward. He just ambled around without a care in the world. Particularly crap for Mills making his debut who several times found he had no-one to pass to down the line and had to turn back, putting himself under pressure. For what it's worth, I thought Mills improved greatly after a shaky first half hour.

After that display of attitude, I'm disappointed McGoldrick has signed a new contract. If he must play, he has to play up front otherwise we'll lose our formation. If I was Jan I'd have been absolutely furious with him for blatantly disobeying instructions and giving nothing for his team. But if Jan had seen it, surely he'd have taken him off.

It's a shame for the other lads, as nearly all of them give everything, even someone like Gillett who is a very poor player, but does all he can. Pekhart ran all day, Lallana tried everything, even BWP despite being poor did put the effort in. So thanks Dave, you're a ****ing disgrace.

Agree either play him up front or drop him. He is never a winger in a million years.

He is useless and I have never rated him. He is a sulking little baby.

Also on saturday I seem to remember him always having his hands on his hips and never being on his toes ready for something.

USELESS!

Certainly needs to remove the dummy from his mouth and finger from his arse!

He is useless and I have never rated him. He is a sulking little baby.

Also on saturday I seem to remember him always having his hands on his hips and never being on his toes ready for something.

USELESS!

To be fair to him, in the first half he did make a run to the goal-line and put a good ball across the face of the goal but nobody got near it. Was it after that that he went into a sulk?

I'm sorry but McGoldrick is absolute pony. His movement is poor, his body language is awful and he couldnt trap a sand bag. If rumours are to be believed his attitude stinks also. He scored a couple at the start of the season but I've never been convinced he can cut it on a regular basis. Please start playing John or even Pekhart ahead of him. John might be getting on a bit but he still bagged c. 20 goals for us last season. Without those goals we'd be in League 1 now.