Marian Pahars...

Dibden Purlieu Saint

Just sat on the train, which has decided to stop outside Waterloo for a while, and I got thinking about the little guy. What a great little player he was. Best memory has to be the Great Escape season, but also loved his goal against Pompey and the Jaap Stam nutmeg. Little genius.

Anyone else miss him as much as I do?

Are you sure you're in London? Really? This post sounds a bit like GM's Last of the Summer Wine analogy, which surely only applies to ex-pats.

Yep, he was a great liitle player. Shame is career ended the way it did with us but that's life. Like you, I prefer to remember his golden moments rather than the sick notes.

Proof if ever it was needed that that are gems out there that don't cost a fortune if you look in the right places.

Just sat on the train, which has decided to stop outside Waterloo for a while, and I got thinking about the little guy. What a great little player he was. Best memory has to be the Great Escape season, but also loved his goal against Pompey and the Jaap Stam nutmeg. Little genius.

Yup. And I'm also stuck between Wimbledon and Waterloo. The only difference in our circumstances being that I was thinking about Peter Purves rather than Marian Pahars.

Are you sure you're in London? Really? This post sounds a bit like GM's Last of the Summer Wine analogy, which surely only applies to ex-pats.

Strange as it may seem JM ..I had a similar reminisence last week ..(and as an ex-pat myself)... I'm surely allowed to relate this story.

I met a business contact from LATVIA, and when the subject came around to football..(what else)... I mentioned both Pahars (and Bleidilis in conversation and he was suitably impressed and spoke admiringly of them).

Sadly careers that are cut short by injury never seem complete as a record..(even MLT's who surely could have continued a few more years)...but I thought of Ronnie Elkund too, who took the team by storm for those few months he was with Saints and few have forgotten him...even now.

Strange as it may seem JM ..I had a similar reminisence last week ..(and as an ex-pat myself)... I'm surely allowed to relate this story.

I met a business contact from LATVIA, and when the subject came around to football..(what else)... I mentioned both Pahars (and Bleidilis in conversation and he was suitably impressed and spoke admiringly of them).

Sadly careers that are cut short by injury never seem complete as a record..(even MLT's who surely could have continued a few more years)...but I thought of Ronnie Elkund too, who took the team by storm for those few months he was with Saints and few have forgotten him...even now.

Ah Ronnie! It took longer to sign him than his actual career with us from what I remember, but what a quality player!

I remember when i was a lot younger playing Derby at the dell, think it was the 3-3 game and pahars scored a 30 yard left footed goal to the top right corner of the goal, was awesome.

Pompey goal will always make me smile...and last day of the season a while ago when we relegated wimbledon from the prem, bridge scored a free-kick and pahars ran the length of the field to score in the last couple minutes.

I think the shop should make a video of all pahars goal and highlights, i for one would buy it for sure :)

I saw every match Latvia have ever played in a major championships thanks to Marians sort-of participating.

Three matches at Euro 2004, and a pile of pics of him warming up and coming on to amble around for 15 minutes when obviously still injured.

I also have a "non-authentic but sold outside the Euro 2004 venues from official adidas merchandise stalls" Latvia shirt, think it cost me £60 with the exchange rate and I've worn it about 3 times.

Skate goal and Old Trafford nutmegs stand out for me as I wasn't at the Everton match.

Marian Pahars was my favourite player growing up (behind Le Tiss of course). I met him round a friend's house, my friend's Dad was selling him a car. Absolute legend, I was star struck :D (I was only about 8...). Nice bloke from what I can remember, took time out from car buying to have a chat and a photo. LEGEND.

No dont care a toss

Some trolls just can't stay away from commenting. Seriously, put the mouse down, go outside and enjoy yourself. There's a big, fun world out there.

Perhaps you should do the same but you did ask the question to which I replied honestly.

I think tossas like you who try try to police the forum should be banned

Everybody knows Pahars was a very good player but like so many is in the past

Edited by John B

Some trolls just can't stay away from commenting. Seriously, put the mouse down, go outside and enjoy yourself. There's a big, fun world out there.

There might be in Dibden Purlieu, but I'm overlooking Eastleigh train station, here.

Apparently the manager[Latvian] of the car wash next to Asda in town, is a personal friend of Marian Pahars, and still speaks to him on a regular basis. MP now lives in Latvia,but owns a restaurant in London, which is run for him by a manager.

[As a side note I recommend that particular car wash].

Talking of relegation-saviours, Mickey Evans was another. Always felt sorry for him, came in, did the job, then got sold back to where he came from. I remember some people saying he wasn't Premiership quality, but his cameo kept us going for an extra few years. Signing players like Mickey and Marian are what makes manager's reputations. (Clearly the opposite can be said about certain managers when you think of the Olivier Bernards of this world...) Fingers crossed that we can now sign a gem that makes the difference and gets us promoted. (Puncheon perhaps...)

Perhaps you should do the same but you did ask the question to which I replied honestly.

I think tossas like you who try try to police the forum should be banned

Everybody knows Pahars was a very good player but like so many is in the past

See the forum is it's usual self.

Nice to reminisce every so often. Pahars was quite possibly one of the most naturally gifted players we've had since the Premiership years.

Favourite memory has to be the diving header against Everton in the great escape season.

I saw every match Latvia have ever played in a major championships thanks to Marians sort-of participating.

Three matches at Euro 2004, and a pile of pics of him warming up and coming on to amble around for 15 minutes when obviously still injured.

I also have a "non-authentic but sold outside the Euro 2004 venues from official adidas merchandise stalls" Latvia shirt, think it cost me £60 with the exchange rate and I've worn it about 3 times.

Skate goal and Old Trafford nutmegs stand out for me as I wasn't at the Everton match.

Pah, I've got the authentic 2004 Adidas Latvia home shirt :D

Couldn't get it printed though :(

I never dream about football, but last night, I dreamed I was watching a game about Saints playing european opposition. It was pretty much our present side, but just behind the strikers was Marian Pahars. He whizzed all over the park, and at times went into the crowd to get the ball back, and was man of the match. He was interviewed afterwards too, and he replied to every question in his thoughtful way. Saints played in their original red sash strip. It was quite good fun.

marian was the topic of the best conversation i have ever overheard. i was walking back to my seat on the train after charlton away and a guy around 40 casually said to his mate as i passed where they were sitting "pahars is the only guy i would ever allow join me and the missus in a 3some"

absolute classic

i love the dude but would never allow him anyway near my missus

Anybody got any good pictures of him? Especially of him celebrating after that Pompey goal or any of him and Beats?

Cheers

"Pahars...it's opened up here..."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39662000/jpg/_39662269_pahars_emp300x245.jpg

"Marian Pahars makes it 2-0 to Southampton!"

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/uploads/assets/240x359/news/old/5729-6.jpg

Only one I could find of Pahars and Beattie had a bloody great Southampton FC watermark in the middle though.

• 2 years later...

Here's my Marion Anecdote;

Back in 2001 i was living in Spain after flogging a company I used to run. in those days I was relatively flush so I decided it would be a good idea to buy a holiday home back in the Southampton area to stay when we visited the family. The estate agent showed my sister a house in Valley Park Chandlers Ford that she thought would be ideal for us. It turned out to be the Pahars family home. On my next visit back I spoke to the agent and said that I'd like a second viewing, now, even though i lived in Spain i had kept my season ticket and so I was well aware that the day i could make the second viewing was the day after Saints played Blackburn away midweek. As a thoughtful fan I suggested a late morning viewing to let the guy lay in a bit. To cut an already long story short, we liked the house and said to Mrs Pahars that subject to seeing the bedroom I'd be keen on placing an offer. "oh my husbands in bed" she said. "well I've got a plane to catch" says I. "I'll go and ask him if he'll get up so you can see the room" says a very attractive Latvian Mrs Pahars, after an awkward 5 mins at the bottom of the stairs she came down and said in her Russian accent, "sorry, my husband won't get up". So I never did see the bedroom and he lost himself a buyer. I always admired his football but could never get over the arrogance of someone who thought themselves too important to get out of bed at midday when someone had flown a couple of thousand miles to see his bedroom.

Its takes all sorts I suppose..