Saints v Swindon - Build up

marc_saint

Got a couple of mates who played vs him this season when he was at Poole, and he was giving it the big time act then aswell. However having said that it's pretty staggering what he's achieved since going there.

He's always had that potential, used to skinned when I played against him at school and I suppose that arrogance has helped him get where he is. He's become a local hero back in Hungerford, its funny how the people that couldn't stand him before are now jumping on the bandwagon!

Billy Paynter and Vincent Pericard are out of the game for Swindon. I think there are a couple of others in doubt. This should be a home banker if eveyone plays to the game plan!

I don't like the term home banker. It reminds me alot of the Brighton game.

Our back four are playing very well for home games at the moment and I think we will easily keep a clean sheet. The issue is that unlike Saturday we don't rely on one of them to score the goal. 1 or 2-0 to Saints and I would like to see Wayne Thomas keep his place at RB for the time being assuming Otsemobor is out for a while and make the latter work hard to regain his place.

Puncheon was brilliant on Saturday and we need more of the same and for Lallana to note the benefits of playing wide. We need Hammond and Schneiderlin to be more attacking to stop Lallana cutting in and filling the gap between our strikers and central midfield. Whatever happens I hope we don't for some inexplicable reason revert to hopeful punts up field as we did second half against Leeds.

Looks like a comfortable home win regardless of Swindon's false position.

If we beat Swindon and MK Dons, I think we'll need 8 wins from the final 10 games to have any chance.

So very, very tough, but not impossible. Just need to take it a week at a time. There are no unwinnable games, we are favourites for every home game and capable of winning the away games.

I just hope we win the next few to make it an interesting end to the season, because if we lose tomorrow or saturday, it's league season over.

I believe we still have a decent opportunity provided our irreplaceable players remain fit - Davis, Fonte, Harding, Puncheon, Schneiderlin, Lambert to name just 6. I'm not sure it's as tough we we think provided the team stay fit and confident and as fans we don't resort again to desperate nerve jangling whistling when we are protecting a one goal lead. Fear on the terraces induces panic on the pitch.

All our homes games look very winnable with the exception of Charlton and after their demolition by Millwall at the weekend they are no Norwich or Leeds.

After tomorrow night's match, home games against Hartlepool, Orient, Charlton, Oldham, Carlisle and Southend hardly strike fear into the hearts based on our home form and win all 6 plus a win tomorrow and we have 68points.

Then looking at our remaining 5 away fixtures and the picture is equally rosy provided Pardew mixes up his team selection where necessary for bad pitches or beligerant opposition. MK Dons, Brighton, Bristol Rovers, Yeovil and Gillingham. At the moment only Yeovil could be regarded at worse as a tricky fixture and provided we avoid defeat and win 3 from 5 we have a promising looking 79 points.

Surely that will be enough in this league for a play off place? I don't know the past stats but in the CCC 76pts would guarantee a place in the top 6 and sometimes even as low as 71pts if my memory serves correctly back in those heady days led by the mastermind Burley.

Its a long way from being a mathematical impossibility - anyone know if the bookies are offering odds on us to be promoted? We should be about 66/1 but knowing those tight bookies I would take a less than generous 33/1 for a very rare bet.

Its a long way from being a mathematical impossibility - anyone know if the bookies are offering odds on us to be promoted? We should be about 66/1 but knowing those tight bookies I would take a less than generous 33/1 for a very rare bet.

Saints are between 6/1 and 10/1 with most bookies atm for promotion.

http://www.bookies.com/football/england/league-one/promotion/

I believe we still have a decent opportunity provided our irreplaceable players remain fit - Davis, Fonte, Harding, Puncheon, Schneiderlin, Lambert to name just 6. I'm not sure it's as tough we we think provided the team stay fit and confident and as fans we don't resort again to desperate nerve jangling whistling when we are protecting a one goal lead. Fear on the terraces induces panic on the pitch.

All our homes games look very winnable with the exception of Charlton and after their demolition by Millwall at the weekend they are no Norwich or Leeds.

After tomorrow night's match, home games against Hartlepool, Orient, Charlton, Oldham, Carlisle and Southend hardly strike fear into the hearts based on our home form and win all 6 plus a win tomorrow and we have 68points.

Then looking at our remaining 5 away fixtures and the picture is equally rosy provided Pardew mixes up his team selection where necessary for bad pitches or beligerant opposition. MK Dons, Brighton, Bristol Rovers, Yeovil and Gillingham. At the moment only Yeovil could be regarded at worse as a tricky fixture and provided we avoid defeat and win 3 from 5 we have a promising looking 79 points.

Surely that will be enough in this league for a play off place? I don't know the past stats but in the CCC 76pts would guarantee a place in the top 6 and sometimes even as low as 71pts if my memory serves correctly back in those heady days led by the mastermind Burley.

I think Bart's performance in Novemeber/December proved that Davis can be capably replaced. But i agree with the others.

Otsemobor is a better right back than Thomas.
I agree with this, but Thomas is a ****ing nutter and gives all his heart when he's on the pitch. When I've seen him play this season at right back, especially in the JPT, he's more than held his own in that position. Yes, he's slow compared to Semi, and doesn't offer the same getting forward, but I know if I were a left winger, I wouldn't want to come face to face with Thomas.

Having said all that, Pardew could plump for James at right back if he's fit again.

I agree with this, but Thomas is a ****ing nutter and gives all his heart when he's on the pitch. When I've seen him play this season at right back, especially in the JPT, he's more than held his own in that position. Yes, he's slow compared to Semi, and doesn't offer the same getting forward, but I know if I were a left winger, I wouldn't want to come face to face with Thomas.

Having said all that, Pardew could plump for James at right back if he's fit again.

With Seaborne on the bench as well I think it was clear that Thomas was there as cover for CB and RB.

Saints are between 6/1 and 10/1 with most bookies atm for promotion.

http://www.bookies.com/football/england/league-one/promotion/

Told you I rarely bet! ..and at those odds it is hardly surprising given our propensity to draw away from home or worse lose against very beatable opposition. 10/1 for a team that cannot afford to lose one of it's last 12 games and then has to negotiate 3 games in the play offs that inludes one massive and nerve jangling final. 10/1!!!! Very poor value even you have the money to burn and decide to have a bet and win. Betting at those odds you will always lose in the long run and who would take 6/1? Still a backhanded compliment from the bookmakers who clearly think we still have a better chance than some fans would like to admit.

Thanks for the info anyway.

Leeds murdered us at their place - we put them in their place.

not sure what Leeds game you went to. I went to the one at Elland Road in December, freezing cold day. They won 1-0 with a goal of sublime quality, apart from that nowt else could split two even teams.

Anyways, 2-0 Saints, not the best most comfortable of victories but a 2nd goal 15 minutes from time to compliment Puncheons goal inside the first 20 will see us home.

I reckon they'll bring a fair bit more than that considering what a good season it has been for them. Bristol Rovers brough about 3k, I'd expect swindon to not have too far off that.

Be good if true. But hard to believe, as Saints haven't had more than 20k for any midweek league game this season.

Mate its called playing good football - amazing what that can do for attendances. ;)

Personally I just love night games.

Edited by Toadhall Saint
cos I can

Just had to phone the ticket office to get a replacement for tonight, as although I ordered my ticket last week, they said it had only been printed out Saturday and sent off yesterday.

Did confirm that my Wembey tickets are also in the post though.

I had a dream about playing Swindon last night as well. It started at the County Ground where Saints conceeded an early goal and Rickie got sent off, then Saints started piling on the pressure but couldn't find a way through to go the Swindon goal, and ran themselves until they were dead on their feet. Then for some strange reason the rest of the game was played on a local park, where I was suddenly playing at centre back for Saints, single handedly stopping wave after wave of Swindon attacks and passing the ball up to the rest of the team, who because they were so tired, kept losing the ball back to Swindon, so once I had won the ball back again, I decided to just hit the ball from midway inside our own half and managed to get it into the back of the net off the underside of the crossbar. Thats where the dream ended. So I suppose that means it's going to be a draw tonight.

I had a dream about playing Swindon last night as well. It started at the County Ground where Saints conceeded an early goal and Rickie got sent off, then Saints started piling on the pressure but couldn't find a way through to go the Swindon goal, and ran themselves until they were dead on their feet. Then for some strange reason the rest of the game was played on a local park, where I was suddenly playing at centre back for Saints, single handedly stopping wave after wave of Swindon attacks and passing the ball up to the rest of the team, who because they were so tired, kept losing the ball back to Swindon, so once I had won the ball back again, I decided to just hit the ball from midway inside our own half and managed to get it into the back of the net off the underside of the crossbar. Thats where the dream ended. So I suppose that means it's going to be a draw tonight.

I'd stop eating cheese at supper time if I were you! ;)

Just had to phone the ticket office to get a replacement for tonight, as although I ordered my ticket last week, they said it had only been printed out Saturday and sent off yesterday.

Did confirm that my Wembey tickets are also in the post though.

I'd stop smoking weed before i went to sleep if i were u.

Told you I rarely bet! ..and at those odds it is hardly surprising given our propensity to draw away from home or worse lose against very beatable opposition. 10/1 for a team that cannot afford to lose one of it's last 12 games and then has to negotiate 3 games in the play offs that inludes one massive and nerve jangling final. 10/1!!!! Very poor value even you have the money to burn and decide to have a bet and win. Betting at those odds you will always lose in the long run and who would take 6/1? Still a backhanded compliment from the bookmakers who clearly think we still have a better chance than some fans would like to admit.

Thanks for the info anyway.

You rarely bet, yet your forum name is 'speculator' ?!

I think what people sometimes forget is that bookies don't just set odds on pure probability. They also take into account how much they mght lose, based on how many punters back a certain outcome. On that basis any well-supported football team will be given relatively poor odds to succeed, because they have too many fans betting on them, which would cost the bookies too much if they won.

In fact bookies will quote as poor odds as they think they can get away with, yet still have punters bet, so they get as big a profit as possible.

So 10/1 odds dones't necessarily mean that the bookies think there is only a 1/11 probability of us going up. It just means that supply and demand, market forces, indicate that enough saints fans are daft enough to put bets on at that rate! But not so many that the bookies will lose too much if we do go up.

K.

Leavin for the game in under an hour and I am feeling quite confident that we will get a result tonight and dent Swindon's play-off hopes and increase ours in the process!

I reckon we will win 2-1 tonight with Lambert and Barnard/llanna with the 2nd but we will see ;)!

COYR!

Team

01 Davis

02 Harding

03 Thomas

06 Jaidi

12 Fonte

04 Puncheon

14 Hammond

19 Schneiderlin

07 Lambert

17 Barnard

20 Lallana

Substitutes

28 Bialkowski, 23 James, 35 Seaborne, 10 Wotton, 41 Oxlade-Chamberlain, 09 Papa Waigo, and Connolly

An easy win I hope as Swindon have lots of injuries

Edited by John B