Paul Wotton

Badger

I know we may not rank him as the best footballer in the squad, and I know he isn't the most popular player on this forum either.

But his devotion to the club is great, and he loves the club. From what other players have said he keeps people amused in the dressing room and at training, so perhaps we should all stop giving him so much stick.

Ok, if someone has a crap game then fair enough, but some of the stick he gets on here... you would think he is a League One version of Ali Dia.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10280~2029848,00.html

he must be usefull behind the scenes..he captained a team to win this league without anystar players or anything..

infact, he captained a team to two league titles in 3 seasons..so knows this level and what attitude is required.

he used to be a bloody useful player with a cracking free kick..that was until he was out for way over a year with a serious injury...then we got him, sadly his best days are way behind him

great pro regardless...

he must be usefull behind the scenes..he captained a team to win this league without anystar players or anything..

infact, he captained a team to two league titles in 3 seasons..so knows this level and what attitude is required.

he used to be a bloody useful player with a cracking free kick..that was until he was out for way over a year with a serious injury...then we got him, sadly his best days are way behind him

great pro regardless...

Just what I think

Well said that man. Post of the week without a doubt!

He does a good job when called upon. He helps tighten up our midfield when we are winning by the odd goal and need to close out a game.

He puts his head and foot in when required and he plays his position with discipline i.e. he is told to sit in the 'Machele role' and he does just that breaking up play.

His distribution lets him down at times but he is nowhere as bad as many people make him out to be. Every team\squad need this type of player!

I know we may not rank him as the best footballer in the squad, and I know he isn't the most popular player on this forum either.

But his devotion to the club is great, and he loves the club. From what other players have said he keeps people amused in the dressing room and at training, so perhaps we should all stop giving him so much stick.

Ok, if someone has a crap game then fair enough, but some of the stick he gets on here... you would think he is a League One version of Ali Dia.

Completely agree. He's one of ours and the abuse on here he gets is a disgrace.

I agree he obviously gives a lot in the changing room but that is not going to change my opinion of him.

He is a terrible player and when playing he gives us a disadvantage, IMO. I have NEVER seen him have a good game, gives too many fouls away, cannot pass a ball and is not mobile in the slieghtest.

For that reason, i will comment when he is included in the side. And for that reason i hope he stuffs my comments down my throat tonight and scores a hattrick.

if we are after comedians in the changing room, lets get in Frankie Boyle/Peter Kay/Jimmy Tarbuck for pre match and half time.

But wotton should be nowhere near our team, not even on the bench. He is truly awful. He can't even pass the thing sideways, let along anything else. Liability

if we are after comedians in the changing room, lets get in Frankie Boyle/Peter Kay/Jimmy Tarbuck for pre match and half time.

But wotton should be nowhere near our team, not even on the bench. He is truly awful. He can't even pass the thing sideways, let along anything else. Liability

Effort yes but talent no. He regularly plays short passes to the opposition.

Remembering he wasn't an AP signing he must have something about him to be included in the squads each week when you think about others who have been left out in the cold.

The new Paul Telfer ... every club needs one I guess.

He is Paul Telfer's runt retard brother

Good character, alot of passion, but all the ability of an ostrich.

awful, awful player - you cannot get any pattern in the game with him passing it out of play, or hoofing it in the air.

Got no problem with him as a person, but please try and keep his time on the pitch to a minimum.

he does try bless him

but he does hoof the ball a little bit too much

he is vocal both on and off the pitch - and a good leader for the team - he puts the effort in

but more often than not his passing is abysmal - and his tackling a bit wild - or clumsy even

saying that he made one great diagonal pass tonight - but also toe-punted what should have been a cross in to the box - with time and space on his side- into the middle of nowhere

and I got told to stop moaning about him by the moany old git in front of me tonight - so there!

and you know who you are if your reading this - and your son goldilocks. I hope your sitting somewhere else if you go on Saturday (or you can go and support another team yourself!)

he reminded me of one of this know it all boring as f*ck self important economics lecturers - you know - professor ****ehead!

its a shame his footballing ability is'nt on par with his passion and commitment.

Met him in West Quay, such a nice bloke and offered me his place place in the que at all saints (oh the irony).

Top bloke shame about the football.

Edited by Tac-tics

But his devotion to the club is great, and he loves the club. From what other players have said he keeps people amused in the dressing room and at training, so perhaps we should all stop giving him so much stick. QUOTE

Good point Badger,

over the years we have had a number of players whose enthusiasm for the club often outweighs their ability to maintain a regular place but nevertheless we need them.

Doddsy come to mind, but anyone who ever saw HIM play was never in doubt where his heart was. I hope we can have a role in the club for people like Paul Wotton - they stand in the breach when the need arises. Well done!

its a shame his footballing ability is'nt on par with his passion and commitment.

Met him in West Quay, such a nice bloke and offered me his place place in the que at all saints (oh the irony).

Top bloke shame about the football.

Career Record

Years Team Apps† (Gls)†

1994–2008 Plymouth Argyle 394 (54)

2008– Southampton 44 (0)

Not a bad record sixteen years in senior football

We have only seen him at the end of his career and he was brought here to help the youngsters

Edited by John B

[

Good point Badger,

over the years we have had a number of players whose enthusiasm for the club often outweighs their ability to maintain a regular place but nevertheless we need them.

Doddsy come to mind, but anyone who ever saw HIM play was never in doubt where his heart was. I hope we can have a role in the club for people like Paul Wotton - they stand in the breach when the need arises. Well done!

Dodd is certainly a good comparison,as is Benali.

In many ways I see Wotton as a latter day Benali,enthusiasm,endeavour and commitment in place of an abundance of skill.

Benali is one of the most average players I've seen,and yet is exalted to great heights for his "passion for the club" stuff.(I fully accept that FB was in a the Prem so was 'hacking it ' [in want of another phrase] at a higher level].

Career Record

Years Team Apps† (Gls)†

1994–2008 Plymouth Argyle 394 (54)

2008– Southampton 44 (0)

Not a bad record sixteen years in senior football

It's true ...those type of "destroyer roles " in defensive midfielder aren't glory-filled but thank goodness we've had the Huxford, Walker, Fisher, Case, Hurlock, and Marsden's around in the past - they all grew up with the motto - none shall pass.

54 goals in almost 400 games (for Plymouth) isn't a bad record for a midfielder.. and though his record for Saints doesn't show any goals.. those penalties in the JPT did help us get to Wembley.

Edited by david in sweden

I didn't think he played badly last night, but it wasn't his kind of game. He had nothing to do to break up play which is where his skills lie, and he got a lot of ball and was repeatedly asked to use his vision and creativity, which aren't strengths. Most attacks stalled when they went through him, and the right substitution was made in the circumstances.

My cousin had a ST at Plymouth the season they won promotion a few years back, whilst at uni there. He says Paul Wotton was bloody amazing, he was their best player, and cannot believe it's the same player he now watches for Saints.

That's time for you. You can see from his rigid movements that his legs are getting stiff and that makes adjusting balance and doing anything quickly that much more difficult, especially in a congested midfield.

So speaks a 37 year old (barely) "ex-footballer"... ;)

You cant have a team of MLT's every team needs a "destroyer", he wasnt the worse on the pitch last night by a long shot, and he gives 100% all the time, yes his best years are behind him but he is still doing a job for us.

I remember he celebrated at wembley more than any other player. good bloke to have around, AP must see something in him

As mentioned before...In my view, Paul Wotton would make a great player/coach for the reserves....

One more playing season....John McGrath did this a few years back and the youngsters would have a good leader/coach mentor etc.

COYRs

Still a useful sub Div 1 next season for certain games/situations...

Edited by ottery st mary

Wotton is certainly a player we should keep hold of. He's not a bad player, and to those saying he's "awful" well that just beggars belief.

In the last few seasons we've always needed a player like him in the middle, but the trouble for him is that we bought a player in Hammond who can do a better job and is younger so it's always going to be hard for him to get into the starting 11.

I don't think Wotton should be starting ahead of Hammond or Morgan, no way, but he's done a job 9 times out of 10 when he's been asked this season which of course some people love to forget about because we all love to have a player to slate, it seems.

As mentioned before...In my view, Paul Wotton would make a great player/coach for the reserves....

One more playing season....John McGrath did this a few years back and the youngsters would have a good leader/coach mentor etc.

COYRs

absolutely!

That " destroyer " role as I called it, is vital to have in every team.

Very UN-glamourous but necessary. More recently ..Paul Telfer was another such. Chris Perry han't disgraced himself when called upon, either.

I wouldn't put Wotton in the same class as Jimmy Case, (who was still first team choice at age 37..and only lost his place because Ian Branfoot only wanted to hear his own voice in the dressing room)...but Wotton has developed into a good club man (like Doddsy was ). No frills.. but willing to die for the cause and with red and white running through his veins .

Do you want a 'great bloke' in your team? Or do you want a talented footballer earning his money on the pitch

TALENT ..? Are we supposed to have that in L1 as well ?

We only get one MLT every generation, the rest as Lawrie Mac always said ".....are the roadsweepers".

Prima Donnas are much less frequently come by.

TALENT ..? Are we supposed to have that in L1 as well ?

We only get one MLT every generation, the rest as Lawrie Mac always said ".....are the roadsweepers".

Prima Donnas are much less frequently come by.

MLT was exceptional. But other players are still talented. Wotton is so far from talented he would be best off working in the Ticket Orafice

You cant have a team of MLT's every team needs a "destroyer", he wasnt the worse on the pitch last night by a long shot, and he gives 100% all the time, yes his best years are behind him but he is still doing a job for us.

I remember he celebrated at wembley more than any other player. good bloke to have around, AP must see something in him

Wotton is not the "tough tackling, no nonsense hard b*stard" everyone assumes he is. People just walk past him with ease - watch the JPT final for a number of examples.

According to MLT he is on £14k per week and are highest paid player by some stretch. For that he should play at a level slightly higher tha garbage.

Source?? I highly doubt Wotton would be on that much? Lowe signed him when we were trying to cut costs so no way would he have been on a contract for that much surely??

Wotton is not the "tough tackling, no nonsense hard b*stard" everyone assumes he is. People just walk past him with ease - watch the JPT final for a number of examples.

This

The man is far too pedestrian, and lacks simple footballing talent.

Time and time again i have said his inclusion negates the man in midfield he plays with because of his needless hoofing and passing to the other team.

He could be the greatest man alive, but i still would rather see him on the training pitch and not in the first 11.