Not long now, so how about a predictions thread.

Colinjb

The usual topics, winner, runner up, biggest surprise etc.

Winner: Spain

Runner up: Brazil

Biggest Surprise: The US of A reaching the semis.

England get knocked out at: The Semi Final Stage, by the Spaniards.

Seeing as England only ever win a world cup under a Labour government ;-)

England fail to win a game and get knocked out in the group stage. Rooney injured or sent off at some point for retaliating against rough treatment from opposition defenders.

England player exposed in sex scandal by the Daily Mail and John Terry caught snorting cocaine the week before the finals begin.

Italy to retain cup with defensive master class display with ten men and win on pens in final.

Heart says England

Head says Spain

Record defeats for Saudi Arabia/North Korea/New Zealand[/Q

Wee bit harsh on Saudi Arabia IMHO Unless Germany are still scoring from that match in 2002, they aren't actually in it. Also Asian football really isn't as bad as some believe. New Zealand (oceania yes I know but close enough) will be difficult to break down and we have no idea what surprises North Korea will bring, they did knock out both Saudi Arabia and I think Iran to qualify, both are decent footballing sides.

Winners: Spain

Runners-up: France (Score in the final 4-2)

3rd place: Holland

4th: Germany

England will finish second in their group and get knocked up by the Germans, 3-1 AET.

The biggest surprise will be South Africa getting to the quater final (losing it on penalties).

Alonso will be player of the tournament.

Tournament top scorer will be Villa

England's joint top scorers will be Fat Lumpard and Peter Crouch both with 2 goals.

David James will concede at least 1 comedy goal.

Goal of the tournament will be scored by Messi v Nigeria

Christiano Ronaldo will go off injured within the first half of Portugals first match.

Ian Wright will annoy me if he's on the BBC.

Gareth Southgate will annoy me whatever channel he's on.

Rooney will not get any yellow cards.

Yes I saw that already! There is a spudsweb thread somewhere that claim to have let Crouchie know about this!

The fat Russian is still trolling around London working in a bar, but not at my place. Sweet.

Seeing as England only ever win a world cup under a Labour government ;-)

England fail to win a game and get knocked out in the group stage. Rooney injured or sent off at some point for retaliating against rough treatment from opposition defenders.

England player exposed in sex scandal by the Daily Mail and John Terry caught snorting cocaine the week before the finals begin.

Italy to retain cup with defensive master class display with ten men and win on pens in final.

this

GROUP QUALIFIERS

[b]Group A     Group B     Group C     Group D     Group E     Group F     GROUP G     Group H[/b]
MEXICO    SOUTH KOREA   ENGLAND     GERMANY     N'LANDS      ITALY    IVORY COAST    SPAIN
France      Nigeria       USA       Serbia      Cameroon    Paraguay     Brazil    Switzerland

LAST 16

MEXICO vs Nigeria

ENGLAND vs Serbia

Germany vs USA

South Korea vs FRANCE

NETHERLANDS vs Paraguay

IVORY COAST vs Switzerland

ITALY vs Cameroon

SPAIN vs Brazil

QUARTER FINALS

NETHERLANDS vs Ivory Coast

Mexico vs ENGLAND

USA vs France

Italy vs SPAIN

SEMI FINALS

NETHERLANDS vs England

USA vs SPAIN

3RD PLACE PLAYOFF

ENGLAND vs USA

FINAL

Netherlands vs SPAIN

GOLDEN BOOT: David Villa

OVERPERFORMERS: USA

UNDERPERFORMERS: Brazil

PLAYER OF THE TOURNAMENT: Rodney Sneijder

Winner: Argentina

Runner Up: Spain. (I don't know whether that's possible, I haven't checked.)

Underachievers: France

Overachievers: USA

England will go out: Last 16.

English fans shock of the tournament: Rooney injured in 4th minute of the USA game, ruled out of tournament.

English fans suprise of the tournament: Crouch to step up in Rooney's absence and bag 4 goals in the tournament.

Lot of people favouring Argentina. They were pretty awful in qualifying, Maradona appears to be a shocking manager.

True, but they have a scary amount of talent. France had an shocking manager last time, but got to within penalty kicks of winning.

to be fair..they have a very very good squad...if they play well, they will be very dangerous

Any squad with attacking talent like Di Maria, Tevez, Messi, Higuain, Milito and Aguero will be dangerous - just a shame Maradona likes to play Guttierez and pick a squad where Veron is there only real attacking midfielder.

A proper manager and they would be strong favourites IMO.

FWIW I think Spain or Brazil will win. France will underachieve again because Domenech is just awful.

Any squad with attacking talent like Di Maria, Tevez, Messi, Higuain, Milito and Aguero will be dangerous - just a shame Maradona likes to play Guttierez and pick a squad where Veron is there only real attacking midfielder.

A proper manager and they would be strong favourites IMO.

FWIW I think Spain or Brazil will win. France will underachieve again because Domenech is just awful.

Agreed. Thank God they haven't sacked him yet. :D

He's the French version of this clown.

snn2203aa2g280_392850a.jpg

Anyone who thinks Argentina have a chance is completely mad. Great players, but possibly the worst "manager" in the tournament, and Messi just does not turn up when playing for Argentina (mainly because Maradona doesn't play a system to suit him). Also, 4 centre backs and Veron in midfield???

I think one out of Brazil, Spain, England or Italy will win the tournament (in that order of probability).

Top scorer will be Luis Fabiano, Villa or Rooney.

Surprise of the tournament will be Chile or Paraguay - would definitely have gone for the latter if their best player hadn't been shot in the head!!! Both should get further than Argentina in the competition (who I think are quite likely to go out in the group stage, with Nigeria and Greece qualifying ahead of them... although actually, I'd LOVE to see Argentina go through and then lose to Uruguay in the next round!).

Edited by syd_barrett_saint

I think if England win the group, they are gaurenteed a 19:30 k/o game all the way to the final?

An occurrance that would be ideal for keeping sicknotes at work to a minimum :)

I'll check again, but I'm sure that's accurate....

edit - tis correct.

Last 16 - Sat 26th June

QF - Fri 2nd July

SF - Tue 6th July

Edited by markr27

Winner will be Spain

Runners up will be Holland (possible ?)

Overachievers - USA

Underperformers - Portugal/France

Top Scorer - Nilmar

Player of tournament - Messi

And after the group stages, England fly home to prepare for next seasons Premier League 'Money-fest' having arrived in South Africa with 'a fully-fit squad' to quote our illustrious Euro-coach.

'Never let a day go by', (UK Border Patrol)

Italy each way. England will stumble at the first team who are considered as being capable of giving them a bit of a game.

Sorry Landrew, but i will eat my own boxers if Italy get anywhere near the finals. They have an ageing team and do not have any world class strikers of any note.

Add to that the fact that Pirlo is the only man that makes them tick and you will see many teams man marking him.

We will get to the Semi's at least