Your starting 11

JustMike

Ok, so we now know who is on the plane to SA but who would you have in your starting 11.

Mine would be.

Green

Johnson

Terry

Ferdinand

Cole

Barry

Lampard

Gerrard

J Cole

Rooney

Heskey (only because Rooney plays well off him)

--------------------James---------------

Johnson---Terry---Ferdinand---Cole------

--------Gerrard--Lampard---Barry--------

Lennon---------------------------Cole---

---------------Rooney-------------------

---------------Green-------------------

Johnson----Terry----Ferdinand----A Cole

Milner------Gerrard----Lampard----J Cole

---------Crouch-------Rooney----------

No brainer, IMO.

This. But hoping Barry gets fit because i think he's pretty important for England.

--------------------James---------------

--------Gerrard--Lampard---Barry--------

Lennon---------------------------Cole---

---------------Rooney-------------------

This gets my vote. If Barry is not fit, put in Milner and have gerrard playing the defensive role.

--------------------Hart---------------

--Barry--

Lennon---Gerrard Lampard--- J.Cole

----------------Rooney-----------------

Rooney has been getting most of his goals playing on his own upfront for United this season, seems to work best for him.

----------Hart

carragher---terry--rio---cole

---------barry

lennon---lampard----j.cole

--------gerrard

------rooney

I put carragher in as he would be ideal to tuck in and provide cover as a 3rd CB as the other attack

Would probably be my side with the exception of Carragher (pure dislike as a player).

However, I see TDD's reasoning - it's always useful to have a player in the backline who can double up as another centre half for both defensive and offensive reasons.

--------------------HART----------------------

JOHNSON-----TERRY-----FERDINAND-----A.COLE

--------BARRY----LAMPARD-----GERRARD-------

MILNER----------------------------------J.COLE

-------------------ROONEY---------------------

Lampard playing a free role, Barry covering defence and Gerrard tucking in behind Rooney.

Can't believe the amount of people wanting J.Cole in the starting XI.........

Has been poor this season after a horrific knee injury (:)) Maybe it is because he set up an own goal v Japan?!

It's because our left hand side is still p:ss weak isn't it really? If Barry is fit then that's where Gerrard plays. I'd like to have seen Adam Johnson given a chance personally but in absence of that Joe Cole is the obvious choice. He has bags of experience and bags of quality.

There's a few player in the squad who haven't had a great season but they're so far and away better than the other options that you have to go with them.

Gerrard has played his best football for England coming from the left under Capello. In any sort of important games we've always had Gerrard on the left coming inside with Ashley Cole supplying the width.

Green

Johnson - Terry - Rio - Cole

Lennon - Barry - Lamps - Gerrard

Heskey - Rooney.

Maybe drop Heskey for Milner if we're playing a top side and need to crowd the midfield. But i'm sure we will play 4-4-2 during the group stage.

Would probably be my side with the exception of Carragher (pure dislike as a player).

However, I see TDD's reasoning - it's always useful to have a player in the backline who can double up as another centre half for both defensive and offensive reasons.

It's a shame we don't have a better more defensive right back, having two players like Lennon and Johnson on the same side of the pitch and they seem to get in the way of eachother where they're both so keen to get forward.

Carragher and Lennon on the right with Cole and Gerrard on the left would provide decent balance and width on both sides, I'm just not sure Carragher is up to it anymore.

--------------------James

Johnson------ferdinand---------terry-------A.Cole

Lennon--------Barry----------Lampard-------J.Cole

---------------------Gerrard

---------------------Rooney

Same for me but would throw Crouch, Heskey and Milner on at the same time and hope no one notices:smt105

Can't believe the amount of people wanting J.Cole in the starting XI.........

Has been poor this season after a horrific knee injury (:)) Maybe it is because he set up an own goal v Japan?!

He's naturally talented and is the best option we have on the left IMO. Twas a close run thing between him and Milner though.

It's a shame we don't have a better more defensive right back, having two players like Lennon and Johnson on the same side of the pitch and they seem to get in the way of eachother where they're both so keen to get forward.

Carragher and Lennon on the right with Cole and Gerrard on the left would provide decent balance and width on both sides, I'm just not sure Carragher is up to it anymore.

You're right about the balance, hence adrian's choice, I suppose.

Gutted about Jagielka - he would have been ideal. Even Micah Richards would have been a better option...

You're right about the balance, hence adrian's choice, I suppose.

Gutted about Jagielka - he would have been ideal. Even Micah Richards would have been a better option...

Micah Richards has had a poor season and struggled to get regular first team football and is being sold by Citeeh this summer.

I want to pick James for his experience, but his proneness (is that a word) scares the bejebus out of me. If he plays like he did against us in the FA Cup then I'll be happy - apart for the coming for the cross which Jaidi headed over part). Thought Hart was very good against the Nips....

Hart/James

Johnson...Rio...Terry...Cole

Milner...Gerrard...Lampard...Barry...

Rooney

Crouch

Rio has injured himself and is currently in the Hospital awaiting a scan.

sounds like it could be a bad knee ligament injury, so he is out of the world cup if the scan proves conclusive.

Gerrard to be the captain then.

who comes in a CB? King is a good bet but we'd keep having to shuffle the team which isn't what we need. Upson isn't very good and Carra has had a **** season.

We do get a chance to call up someone else if he is out though...not sure when the cut off is.

sounds like it could be a bad knee ligament injury, so he is out of the world cup if the scan proves conclusive.

Gerrard to be the captain then.

who comes in a CB? King is a good bet but we'd keep having to shuffle the team which isn't what we need. Upson isn't very good and Carra has had a **** season.

We really won't need to shuffle the team though will we? There's six days between the first and second games and five days between the second and third game. That is more than enough time for Ledley to recuperate.

Still Steven "Roy of the Rovers" Gerrard being the walking filmscript that he is it should probably mean we'll win the whole thing now!

----------Hart

carragher---terry--rio---cole

---------barry

lennon---lampard----j.cole

--------gerrard

------rooney

I put carragher in as he would be ideal to tuck in and provide cover as a 3rd CB as the other attack

You could call him a "centre half".

---------------------James---------------------

Johnson King Terry A.Cole

---------------------Barry---------------------

Milner Gerrard Lampard Lennon

J.Cole

-------------------Rooney-------------------

Think you have the defensive safety net of Barry giving Lennon Cole and Gerrard (swapping with Lampard depending on the situation) room to move forward. With Milner balancing the attacking side on the Right, can hold back when the play moves through the left and the middle.

Bring Crouch on if comfortably ahead or desperate route one. 2-0 up second half, take off Rooney and bring him on...

---------------------James---------------------

Johnson King Terry A.Cole

---------------------Barry---------------------

Milner Gerrard Lampard Lennon

J.Cole

-------------------Rooney-------------------

Think you have the defensive safety net of Barry giving Lennon Cole and Gerrard (swapping with Lampard depending on the situation) room to move forward. With Milner balancing the attacking side on the Right, can hold back when the play moves through the left and the middle.

Bring Crouch on if comfortably ahead or desperate route one. 2-0 up second half, take off Rooney and bring him on...

Not sure how we will manage to get the 12th man on but it could work.

----------------James--------------

Johnson-----Terry-----King-----Cole

Lennon----Barry----Lampard----Cole

--------------Gerrard--------------

--------------Rooney--------------

Gerrard has been playing just behind most of the season, so should be used to it, Lampard has been playing deeper and Rooneys been up front on his own most of the season too, so no reason why it hsould't work.

Edited after Rio done his knee (not quite to my standards though, pussy)

--------------------Hart---------------

Johnson---Terry---Upson---Cole------

-----------------Barry---------------

Lennon---------Lampard-------Gerrard---

------------Rooney-----Crouch----------