Season Ticket Prices Released

Saint_clark

But I'm 60+ and no longer qualify for a concession.

That's why we're all complaining ffs.

Got it?

d'oh

and why should you..?

serious question and not a dig....

in other areas of society do concessions start at 60..? what about other clubs...?

and why should you..?

serious question and not a dig....

in other areas of society do concessions start at 60..? what about other clubs...?

Free prescriptions, rail cards, bus passes in most areas.

And the vast majority of football clubs - including that lot down the road, and God knows they need the money more than most.

But I'm 60+ and no longer qualify for a concession.

That's why we're all complaining ffs.

Got it?

d'oh

Are you a pensioner? Not yet.

Are you still working? Possibly

Do you have kids at home? Probably not

Have you paid off your mortgage? Possibly

Edited by Matthew Le God

Free prescriptions, rail cards, bus passes in most areas.

And the vast majority of football clubs - including that lot down the road, and God knows they need the money more than most.

do you think, at 60 that you should get a concession..?

serious question...

Are you a pensioner? Not yet.

Are you still working? Made redundant - are you going to give me a job at 61? Nor is anyone else.

Do you have kids at home? Believe me they're more expensive after they've left.

Have you paid off your mortgage? Yes, but if I hadn't I'd really be in the sh1t.

That means I have NO income: you try it

Those 60 to 65 are quite often (but not always) those with the most disposable cash, then when you turn 65 you get a concession. You can get an adult ticket between the ages of 60 and 65 for £16.50 per game in the family end, £20 per game in the wings/behind goals.

If I had no cash/unemployed I would prioritise what I spent any cash I did have on. One thing that would get low priority would be a luxury item like a season ticket for a football team and instead I would pick and choose the occasional game. This is a leisure pursuit not a medical prescription or bus pass, nor should it be compared to them.

Sorry to nit-pick - BUT

- renewal in the Chapel for over 65's is 255 = £11 per game

- those over 60's who are now re-classified as 'adults' will have to pay £380 = £16 odd per game

This virtually doubles what they paid last season.

Of course it is still good value, but to double the price????? Not good.

Maybe someone can find out how many 60 - 64 yr olds fall into this trap?

And how many of them have a 40 year history of supporting Saints through thick and thin? I reckon the majority??

What a sanctimonious **** you are.

I didn't say I didn't have cash, I said I didn't have any income, 2 different things.

And who are you to lecture me on what I can spend my money on?

I know exactly how much money I have to last me until I become eligible for the meagre state pension and I have budgeted carefully.

I have already forgone holidays and had put aside £400 for this season's ticket, surely even you can allow a little pleasure in my life. As it is I have decided not to renew.

Is that OK with you?

Btw - I know you're waiting for Cortese to build a 75000 super stadium - i would suggest if he carries on with this pricing policy year-on-year by the time it's built it'll have about 10,000 people sitting in it.

Sorry to nit-pick - BUT

- renewal in the Chapel for over 65's is 255 = £11 per game

- those over 60's who are now re-classified as 'adults' will have to pay £380 = £16 odd per game

This virtually doubles what they paid last season.

Of course it is still good value, but to double the price????? Not good.

Maybe someone can find out how many 60 - 64 yr olds fall into this trap?

And how many of them have a 40 year history of supporting Saints through thick and thin? I reckon the majority??

It is in a new league. If you goto the theatre to see a play by the local am-dram society and then the next year a touring West End show turns up at the theatre and does the same play would you not expect to pay more?

You can get Championship level football against Birmingham, West Ham, Leeds, Pompey, Forest etc etc for £11 and £16 per game. It is hardly a lot. Last season Saints were playing Dagenham & Redbridge, Yeovil and Walsall. Of course the price was going to go up, it was cheap last season because of the product on offer.

League 1 = Local Am-Dram

Championship = West End Show

Er.... no

It was an analogy to show better quality levels of leisure pursuits demand different prices. Not to be taken literally.

Do you not think a Championship match vs West Ham should be more expensive than a League One match vs Dagenham & Redbridge?

There is quite a hefty hike in these new prices, mainly brought about by how low they were set previously. That said, there is value to be found which means moving to the Chapel, not that bad an idea. I have no problem with the best seats carrying a hefty premium, always thought it should be that way. Not a valid comment to make on the over 60's, just surprised it was not set at 65 in the first place?

It was an analogy to show better quality levels of leisure pursuits demand different prices. Not to be taken literally.

Do you not think a Championship match vs West Ham should be more expensive than a League One match vs Dagenham & Redbridge?

Not 72% more expensive (the increase I have been asked to pay)

Do you not think a League One match vs Sheffield Utd should be more expensive than a Championship match vs Peterborough?

I can play that game too

Do you not think a League One match vs Sheffield Utd should be more expensive than a Championship match vs Peterborough?

I can play that game too

As the club has decided not to classify games as gold/silver/bronze both in League One or the Championship you can't "play the game" in that way of comparing two games vs Championship teams with a game vs a Championship team and one vs a League One team. It is a standard price for every league game and in a way an average price across the league season.

As the club has decided not to classify games as gold/silver/bronze both in League One or the Championship you can't "play the game" in that way of comparing two games vs Championship teams with a game vs a Championship team and one vs a League One team. It is a standard price for every league game and in a way an average price across the league season.

Eh? Read again and this time remember who got promoted/relegated.

But that's what you did - chose the most attractive game in the Championship against the least attractive in League One.

All I did was reverse it.

Got it?

d'oh

Edited by Trader
Tried to make my point idiot-proof

I've not got a big issue with the prices except for the fact that anyone facing a massive hike will probably have their nose put out of joint and not come back. Over 60's were deemed worthy of a concession last year, I don't see what's changed.

I have an issue with Matthew Le God though, if Cortese raped virgins and ate babies he would be on here defending him. He seems to think he's some sort of one man positive spin machine. I bet he has a "Saints Go Wilde" Tshirt in his wardrobe at home somewhere.

Eh? Read again and this time remember who got promoted/relegated.

But that's what you did - chose the most attractive game in the Championship against the least attractive in League One.

All I did was reverse it.

Got it?

d'oh

Tried to make my point idiot-proof

They haven't classified games between teams within the same league. They have averaged out the price. Teams in different leagues i.e. League One 10/11 and Championship 11/12 have different average prices across the season for matchday prices (£25 and £30 respectively for adult tickets in the centre blocks).

You could say the West Ham and Pompey game's prices could really be £35 and the Peterborough and Barnsley matches at St Mary's should be £25. It will "roughly" balance out over the season to £30 ish (although not perfectly as the more attractive games have higher gates).

Edited by Matthew Le God

They haven't classified games between teams within the same league. They have averaged out the price. Teams in different leagues i.e. League One 10/11 and Championship 11/12 have different average prices across the season for matchday prices (£25 and £30 respectively).

I don't know what the **** you're talking about.

If you're trying to complicate the argument to make yourself look less of a prat it's not working.

Seems quite simple to me - is Championship football worth 72% more to watch than League One football.

I say no.

End of.

Edited by Trader

Have seen most of the threads regarding OAP concessions, and whilst I agree the hike in their season ticket percentage wise is the highest, I am not happy about my 30% increase or £122. But when I see people quoting that yes they may be retired, kids left home, but are still having to support such kids, that is not my problem or SFCs, surely the kids should be looking after their aged parents, I know I would.

Do OAPs get consesins for Sky tv (i am not sure)

If you can't afford a luxury such as football, then you don't subscribe. There are plenty of things I can't afford. Also perhaps as others have said they could move to the less expensive areas of the ground, but no doubt they will be moaning about the fact that as their eyesight is failing they must be sat plumb centre!

£375 for me, didn't expect it to rise so much but not disappointed. Looking forward to the new season.

Feel sorry for those affected by the age rise for OAP concessions, especially those who are currently season ticket holders. It isn't fair on them.

Still think we will manage to shift more in five weeks than the piddly little club down the road will shift in five months though!

The simple fact is this. The club were happy to supply me with a senior season ticket for the last few years at a price. They have now decided for reasons best known to themself to ask me to pay 72% more to renew my seat for next season. After 57 years supporting the club I will be packing up unless they realise the unfairness of their actions. It's pretty simple really !!

i would have thought that real Saints fans would want as many other Saints fans at matches as is possible.

Championship football is not the stadium filler that the PL is, judging by our attendances over our 4 championship seasons. (23500 average in a playoff season).

The REAL laws of supply and demand kick in when there is shortage.

People who want to spend a good chunk of their income on supporting the Saints are not the problem here.

WE, the supporters, are the lifeblood of this club. and we will be here long after those currently making the decisions have gone.

We would be stronger sticking together, not being divided and ruled.

If I read it right, a 60yo renewing a ST can watch Championship football for £16.50 per match from the Chapel End - I'm sorry guys but that appears to be outstanding value, despite the increase.

I don't know what the **** you're talking about.

If you're trying to complicate the argument to make yourself look less of a prat it's not working.

Seems quite simple to me - is Championship football worth 72% more to watch than League One football.

I say no.

End of.

for someone in their 60's you talk funny ;)

If I read it right, a 60yo renewing a ST can watch Championship football for £16.50 per match from the Chapel End - I'm sorry guys but that appears to be outstanding value, despite the increase.

It does seem reasonable.

What isn't reasonable is the ticket cost. £27 + £3 Cortese Tax or £29 on the day.

Based on this what is the cost likely to be in the Premiership?

Maybe £35 + £3 Cortese tax or £37 on the day.

That said the sun shines out of Cloteses arse on here so no-one will complain.

got a feeling they will!

If we get back to premiership watching saints will not be cheap.

Best bet is to make sure you are an existing season ticket holder when that happens to take advantage of any renewal offer

£16 a game still seems good to me...IMO to not renew seems a bit like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Problem for all those not renewing this year (as they are p****d off they have been reclassified as adult) is

1) They will only be able to go to just over half the games for the same price at almost £30 a game for tickets

2) They won't get the renewal discount next year if they do want a season ticket so they will be looking at another £4 per game next year.

If I was in that situation I may be a bit p'd off but I would not let my season ticket go! However this isn't about what you paid in the past it's about what is a realistic price for next year?

From the clubs perspective could we really exist with a number of supporters paying £8 a game, other consessions and kids under 11 for free?

Thinking about it now our matchday income must have been massively less than I ever thought it was!

Not sure what the 60-64 year brackets would have been happy with if £16 a game is too much? How much would you be willing to pay? £12? £10? £9?

I feel for you I do. You are in a similar boat to my dad. He was forced into retirement this year through redundancy, having worked all his life with only one period of unemployment in the 80's for about 3 months. That's almost 50 years of working every day of his working life, and then retired a few months early due to the economy.

Was he a happy man when the government changed the retirement age some years ago and institutions followed suite and lowered concession age range to match this 60yrs level? Of course he was, he's had 4 years of benfitting from a drop in that concessioon. Over the next 10 years, the government are raising the joint retirement age to 66 (by 2020). This will effect most of us on here as we are all moving toward retirement and should reach it one day. What will the concession age be then? Probably 66. So, will I be moaning when I reach 62, 63, 64, about the concession age being 66 and not 60? Of course not, but, I know this already. Up until a few days ago, all those aged between 61 and 63 expected their season ticket to go up, but to still be offered the concession. This was their 'expectation'. All of a sudden, that is no longer the case and no matter who you are or how many children, commitments you have, this increase is an impact on that.

Just to clarify the 61 - 63 age range, because I believe quite a few have got this wrong, if you were 60 last year and benefitted from the concession, you'd be 61 this year, if you were 64 last year, then you'd be 65 this year. If 60 this year, you'd not have got a concession last, and if you were 64 last season, you'd still receive the concession.

Anyways, basically, it is a real shock for those in that age bracket, it is a real big increase and in the view of fairness, unfortunately, you guys are gonna have to swallow it like a bitter pill and recieve the concession again in a few years time. Yes, some might not afford it but, the retirement age (for men anyway, not sure of the women's retirement age), IS 65. I had to check it out myself, I thought they had moved it to 63, but, I think they skipped that with the recession and went straight back to 65 and will do this to women also and raise all to 66 by 2020. But, if that's the retirement age, then that's the concession age as well, regardless of other clubs and services etc, this is legally correct.

My answer, with my family, wife, child cars mortgage, extra taxes increased prices across the index etc etc, I will bridge the gap for my father this year. Why? Because he paid for me when I couldn't afford it. Do I have loads of spare cash, no. Can I spread it out through installments? Yes. Will it be tough for a couple of months? Of course. But, I want to go with my dad, and for that I have to pay more. But, let's hope it's worth it, that's my only fear. I really do wonder what this coming season will bring, relegation? Promotion? Mid table obscurity? Take your pick, one things for sure though, I'm taking my seat belt and buckling up for a bumpy ride.

Come on you Saints!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Trader, I really hope you can find that extra dough from somewhere, if you like your football (as I'm sur you do), one thing is for sure, this seasons going to be a cracker!

£16 a game still seems good to me...IMO to not renew seems a bit like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Problem for all those not renewing this year (as they are p****d off they have been reclassified as adult) is

1) They will only be able to go to just over half the games for the same price at almost £30 a game for tickets

2) They won't get the renewal discount next year if they do want a season ticket so they will be looking at another £4 per game next year.

If I was in that situation I may be a bit p'd off but I would not let my season ticket go! However this isn't about what you paid in the past it's about what is a realistic price for next year?

From the clubs perspective could we really exist with a number of supporters paying £8 a game, other consessions and kids under 11 for free?

Thinking about it now our matchday income must have been massively less than I ever thought it was!

Not sure what the 60-64 year brackets would have been happy with if £16 a game is too much? How much would you be willing to pay? £12? £10? £9?

I agree that if everyone was paying £8 per game that the club would not survive but by charging a tenner many oldies like myself went to a game once a month or so but I will not be going at £27 a ticket

got a feeling they will!

If we get back to premiership watching saints will not be cheap.

That is true as I never went to St Mary's when we were in the PL it is very unlikely I will go there if we are promoted

It does seem reasonable.

What isn't reasonable is the ticket cost. £27 + £3 Cortese Tax or £29 on the day.

Based on this what is the cost likely to be in the Premiership?

Maybe £35 + £3 Cortese tax or £37 on the day.

That said the sun shines out of Cloteses arse on here so no-one will complain.

still makes me laugh that tory boy moans about £3 "tax"

Unfortunately I shall not be renewing having been a ST holder since the 89/90 season due to changing jobs and I will be missing st least half of the games next season. But I'll buy on match by match basis, very annoying but long term for the better in terms of a better job!

agree with concession going up to 65 as per retirement age but do think the club should have catered for this by either a reduced rate but not full adult rate for renewals

My wife reached official retirement age (60) last year and is now recieving her pension. Her ST will go from £300 last year to £515 this year. This for someone on a pension. How can this be right?

My wife reached official retirement age (60) last year and is now recieving her pension. Her ST will go from £300 last year to £515 this year. This for someone on a pension. How can this be right?

Or she can go to the Chapel End for £375. I don't mean to appear condescending, but £300 (I guess in the centre somewhere?) was exceptionally good value. No doubt part of the thinking is we will attract bigger crowds, and better for the club to sell the centre tickets at £515, or £30 on the day for the sell out games? Not saying its right or fair, it just makes commercial sense.

... on that.

Just to clarify the 61 - 63 age range, because I believe quite a few have got this wrong, if you were 60 last year and benefitted from the concession, you'd be 61 this year, if you were 64 last year, then you'd be 65 this year. If 60 this year, you'd not have got a concession last, and if you were 64 last season, you'd still receive the concession.

Anyways, ...

Still waiting to hear the effective date, i.e. July 1, renewal deadline July 14, ticket deadline Aug 5, start of season?

I fall in the middle there!

It is only after reading some posts that I realise some people are coming at this from a totally different perspective from how I see things. I'm not saying they're wrong, just that I see it differently sometimes.

When I read:

"If you can't afford it, then don't go", or

"It's just a leisure pursuit", or

"what's better for the Club" or

"Well you will just have to move seats",

"It's the price of success"

then I start asking;

"why should it be so expensive",

"for many it's much more than leisure pursuit (and has been for years, if not generations)",

"what's better for the fans",

"why should people have to move seats",

"the price of everything and the value of nothing".

Football prices across the board are way too expensive nowadays (with Saints being one of many who have increased prices way above RPI, CPI or earnings over the years) and the game is in danger of overpricing itself.

There are some good initatives out there, e.g. our U-11's going free is an honourable effort in pulling in youngsters and cushioning the cost, but otherwise I look at some of the prices and think we have pitched it a bit too high (although what is high to one person is reasonable to another and it is always impossible to judge other peoples positions and motivation).

I think the prices we have set, (particularly new season ticket prices), along with a few anomalies and a five week window will see attendances lower than I would have expected, but as others have pointed out, the income generated probably won't be much different.

I hope the team gets off to a flyer and stays in the hunt, otherwise I can see some disappointing attendances for what I had hoped to be an uplifting year (and of course I would so love to be wrong).

I had braced myself for some large price increases (although that doesn't mean I agree with my personal 42% hike, but I'll probably lump it) and resigned myself to the Club only having a short selling window, so I just hope that this doesn't result in attendances being too depressed.

Have no idea of the cost to the Club (or the value to the supporters), but would be delighted if the Club could honour the existing concessions for our 61-64 age bracket.

Thought state pension age went up to 65 more than a year ago.

You might be right. I plan on being really miserable when I am 64 though so would tell them to go poke it.

The elderly do tend to be richer nowadays, they are not like the previous generation who had to fight germans and stuff, they all have fat pensions, financed by us and houses worth 300K they paid 20 grand for.

Just for the record you (nor anyone else for that matter!) paid a single penny for my private pension and when I do receive a state pension at age 65 I will have contributed at least 10 times more per annum in tax (every year for 45 years!) than will be given back to me !

Anyway, let's not let the facts interfere with your opinion, eh ??