Season Ticket Prices Released

Saint_clark

but I simply don'y buy the argument that it will result in lots less ST sales

So why does every other club do it?

I'm sure that for other clubs the need to get money in early is paramount, but if we are wanting to be self sufficient, then shouldn't we be looking to act prudently. Secondly, I'm sure the reason why others open their window early, promote season tickets and offer incentives is to increase the overall number sold. No idea where the balance between these two reasons lie, but IMHO an early and longer window will have an impact on the volume sold

I'm not saying the minority is always wrong, but you have to wonder why we restrict it to a late 5 week window, when others are going for a window of 5 months.

But as you have to pay an initial 50% to get the tickets for the first 8 games no electronic system is needed really, if you don't pay you don't get any more tickets.It's a win:win situation for the club really as they always have games in hand over the payment progression.It's not a never never scheme at all, in fact with the handling fee it's hardly worth the effort as you have to pay largely in advance anyway.

As someone else said, it spreads cost between July and November so I wouldn't dismiss it as "hardly worth the effort". Presumably the initial payment is either 55% or 52.5% so that's a significantly smaller one-off commitment.

A lot of second-guessing going on, naturally, after the announcement. I am 100% certain the club have quite clear intentions behind the decisions they've taken, but I just can't quite work out what they are! It'd be nice to know, but we probably never will, but if a few decent signings happen, I would imagine quite a few people will quickly move on and just bite the bullet.

It will be interesting to see how many move to the Chapel from other areas to take advantage of the free kids' tickets in there.

Other than that, nice to see the realities of trying to save anything when you've had to extend a loan and pay THAT off in order to get LAST season's ST are completely lost on many. Oooh, maybe I should get a 0% credit card, etc.

The one thing I have considered (for about 30 seconds) from this thread and the predecessor and the prices quoted, was getting an ST at Fulham ! Cheaper ST at £379, better league, better opposition, can get there reasonably cheaply on the train and they have a 9 month instalment plan which costs £25, basically what I'd be paying for the Saints 4 month one. Only 19 matches, but that's ok, it gives me more free weekends. You can also take 2 mates for £5 on a couple of occasions, to designated games (i.e. Wigan).

What's that ? Elasticity of demand ? Football's not a normal business ? Oh yeah, I can't go anywhere else, can I ? :facepalm:

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Tickets/SeasonTickets.aspx#instalment if you want to have a look, anyway.

Edited by The9

A lot of second-guessing going on, naturally, after the announcement. I am 100% certain the club have quite clear intentions behind the decisions they've taken, but I just can't quite work out what they are! It'd be nice to know, but we probably never will, but if a few decent signings happen, I would imagine quite a few people will quickly move on and just bite the bullet.

Well I'd have thought that the most obvious one was to get all the kids on cheaper or free STs into the Family Stand to avoid them taking up prime seats in the other stands for free.

Another one is to encourage the U11s to go to games with their parents to build up future support which is laudable.

On the installment plan if you go down that road and then can't make the other payments for some reason or other you get regally shafted and to the club, it's just as if you'd paid full whacky for the games you'd be allowed to attend,so if you can't meet the subsequent payments then you'd best abstain.I know there won't be many who don't meet the committment but if you have any doubt about the Sept/Oct/Nov payments at all it really isn't a good idea.Half the money plus a fee for 1/3 or the season's games really needs a

"raison d'être" in my opinion.

Every season ticket they don't sell is a seat that they can sell for a third more as a matchday ticket

A valid reason, but one that I have issues with.

Firstly, there's an element of risk involved. Using my seat (£465 vs £27), someone would have to go 18 times over the course of a season to bring in more revenue than a season ticket. Throw in a poor run, nothing games at the end of the season (hopefully not), unattractive opposition, holidays, competing events, evening games, poor weather, illness etc, then racking up 18 games might be a bit of a challenge (I kknow I missed about 5 last season and that was with an upfront season ticket)

Secondly, I just think that season tickets underpin attendances and the increased experience as a result. Additionally, a big take up starts to reduce the tickets available increasing the sense of exclusivity and wanting to be a part of "it". It also gets people hooked in for the long run and more likely to buy a season ticket when we need them most.

If this was a plausible reason, then why do so many clubs seek to maximise season ticket sales??? Most clubs go for a decent figure and only cap it with a few thousand to spare to ensure that some are available to the causal fan to keep them interested.

As someone else said, it spreads cost between July and November so I wouldn't dismiss it as "hardly worth the effort". Presumably the initial payment is either 55% or 52.5% so that's a significantly smaller one-off commitment.

As I pointed out on the other thread, for a 61-64 year old, their instalment first downpayment will be about £10 less than their entire payment last season. And we have a higher average age of supporter than almost every other club, from what I recall from a Leicester Uni study when we were in the Prem.

my biggest gripe is the fact that I now have to pay £220 more for my son and I to remain in our seats or move to the chapel which I think we will end up doing. There is no reasoning it seems to me

I expected it to be £399 9Like Norwich was last season) so £465 is bloody high in my eyes.

Thing is Norwich sell 19,000 season tickets every year, and that's not down to the £66 difference, so the club has to make it back somewhere I guess.

There's no mention of a swipe card system either, and the language used when talking about season tickets suggests there isn't one - what happened to that? I thought they weren't doing instalment plans until those were introduced?

Perhaps swipe cards worked out a tad expensive to instal. In any event they seem to have devised an instalment plan that requires payment up front for each segment of games and you don't get access to further games (second ST) unless you have paid in advance. Previously one ST covered the entire season. If this system works, maybe no need for swipe card thingy's after all ...

Looks like i'm going to be in the Northam - but the real question is 40, 41, 42 or 43...?

Season tickets won't be sold in Block 43, well they never have before anyway. I'll be down there 1st thing 14th July to get with a few other lads who are renewing in 42.

Other than that, nice to see the realities of trying to save anything when you've had to extend a loan and pay THAT off in order to get LAST season's ST are completely lost on many. Oooh, maybe I should get a 0% credit card, etc.

Maybe the moral here is to not spend what you don't have?

Not sure how you can blame the club for peoples personal financial situations?

Another one is to encourage the U11s to go to games with their parents to build up future support which is laudable.

U 11's for free is an excellent initiative and the Club should be applauded for it. As you say it gets kids involved at a young age and hoepfully brings throught the next batch of fans.

If we end up moving to The Chapel (not overly happy Exit2!!!!!), then i might just get one and take my nephew to the odd game.

Maybe the moral here is to not spend what you don't have?

Not sure how you can blame the club for peoples personal financial situations?

The specific example he has given is that the debt was to pay for last years ST, for which there was no warning of the instalment plan being revoked, ergo 'the clubs fault'.

Ultimately of course, you are correct, everyone's personal financial matters are their own responsibility, but the club potentially created a situation last year that encouraged people perhaps to take on additional debt (structured or unstructured) which some are still paying off.

Also, that is The9's personal situation and everyone else will be different... some better, some worse.

Of course you are, but that's not the point. If my cooker packs in a week before they go on sale, I ain't getting a ST - I won't have time to save up again. If there was a 5 month window, i'd have plenty of time.

Ok, they give you 5 months, you buy one in march. So what happens if your cooker then packs in the next day?

Silly argument really. I appreciate that times are hard etc but are people really this useless at managing their money?

Ok so what happens if you buy your season ticket and then your cooker packs in the next day?

You get a new one on the never never from the Gas Board (or SEB) just like anyone else.

I bought a fridge/freezer from SE once, they just put it on my quarterly bill for a few quarters,8 if I remember rightly.

Perhaps swipe cards worked out a tad expensive to instal.

For the actual money that the club would have saved, it wouldn't be that cost-effective. A total of 28 people defaulted on the payment plan in 09/10, so that's less than £15k the club would be safeguarding by introducing a swipe card system - a system that would cost a hefty six-figure sum to implement. It's a nice thing to have, certainly, as you can then link all sorts of other stuff into the system (catering credits, away "loyalty points", that sort of thing), but it's far from a necessity.

Thing is Norwich sell 19,000 season tickets every year, and that's not down to the £66 difference, so the club has to make it back somewhere I guess.

Maybe we would have sold close to that if we'd kept them at a reasonable level? I'm not sure how they do it, but Norwich City FC seem to treat their fans as part of the club rather than customers. We are no longer a club, we are merely a football business.

In my eyes nothing has changed since Lowe was ousted in terms of the way fans are treated by those that run the club. Lowe would have been hung drawn and quartered for rising ST prices by 40% even if we had just been promoted.

The specific example he has given is that the debt was to pay for last years ST, for which there was no warning of the instalment plan being revoked, ergo 'the clubs fault'.

Ultimately of course, you are correct, everyone's personal financial matters are their own responsibility, but the club potentially created a situation last year that encouraged people perhaps to take on additional debt (structured or unstructured) which some are still paying off.

Also, that is The9's personal situation and everyone else will be different... some better, some worse.

Of course.

But if you could not afford to get it last season why not hold off a season and save up? Is it really the end of the world that you can't go to every game for a year?

Let's be honest here saving up £400 should not be too difficult. At the minimum wage that is 66 hours. Just over an hour a week. If you can't put £6 a week away then it is time to re-think the career or spending habbits!

I would understand if it was a house or a car but £400 is not that much in the grand scheme of things. I am sure a lot of people spend that much just going out in a few months.

All i am saying is that people get caught up in the whole debt thing too easily and then pass the blame on. The reality is if you held off for awhile and saved up you would not have any issues. You would not be in the circle of needing to keep get a loan every time season ticket time comes around! But even then this season you only have to pay 50% and then pay the rest over 6 months. I don't think that is too bad. That is like £200 up front and then another 3 payments of about £66 each.

To me it seems the club can't win. It will always upset some.

Maybe we would have sold close to that if we'd kept them at a reasonable level? I'm not sure how they do it, but Norwich City FC seem to treat their fans as part of the club rather than customers. We are no longer a club, we are merely a football business.

In my eyes nothing has changed since Lowe was ousted in terms of the way fans are treated by those that run the club. Lowe would have been hung drawn and quartered for rising ST prices by 40% even if we had just been promoted.

I'd wager we won't be far off of 16000 STs though.

When season tickets are available will we be able to buy online? the official site apparently only mentions by phone or by box office, unless i am reading it wrong. and by the way i think £122 increase for me a bit steep when people are having wage cuts forced on them, pay freezes etc.

I expect the players (mostly the same ones we were watching last year) will all be on increased salaries though!!

But if you could not afford to get it last season why not hold off a season and save up? Is it really the end of the world that you can't go to every game for a year?

Hey, I was just clarifying The9's argument, not really presenting anything of my own.

All i am saying is that people get caught up in the whole debt thing too easily and then pass the blame on.

I agree, but equally none of us can actually comment on any other fans situation because we are not them. Individuals simply have to be honest with themselves about their money, what they spend it on, what they can save, where the rest of it goes etc and be comfortable with their own decisions.

I am a big Saints fan (of course) but I decided some years ago that I would only buy a ST if I won the lottery or similar... it just doesn't feature on my priority lists. For others it is the first thing they look to spend their money on. Each to their own.

To me it seems the club can't win. It will always upset some.

Absolutely. But equally, just to play devils advocate one final time, they should be open to feedback and constructive criticism where fans feel it is justified.

you look at the ridiculous suggestion of players we should sign in one thread...and then the complaints when it comes in on how to pay for it in another..

ST were always going to come out this time of year and there is an instalment plan this time...not quite sure what the beef is...

it is easy to cherry pick one club in another part of the UK

I wonder what wigans ST prices are and how many take their up..?

I agree with this statement, but only up until the moment they post their troubles on a message board, at which point they are basically inviting comment/opinion.

Only if they also tell you their entire incomings and outgoings and everything else they choose to spend their money on... how else can you judge their opinion about whether something is expensive to them or not? And even then, your opinion about what is worth spending money on will be completely different.

Actually, let me amend that. Of course, everyone can comment on others' spending habits, but no one can make judgements about what is right or wrong for that individual.

A valid reason, but one that I have issues with.

Firstly, there's an element of risk involved. Using my seat (£465 vs £27), someone would have to go 18 times over the course of a season to bring in more revenue than a season ticket. Throw in a poor run, nothing games at the end of the season (hopefully not), unattractive opposition, holidays, competing events, evening games, poor weather, illness etc, then racking up 18 games might be a bit of a challenge (I kknow I missed about 5 last season and that was with an upfront season ticket)

Secondly, I just think that season tickets underpin attendances and the increased experience as a result. Additionally, a big take up starts to reduce the tickets available increasing the sense of exclusivity and wanting to be a part of "it". It also gets people hooked in for the long run and more likely to buy a season ticket when we need them most.

If this was a plausible reason, then why do so many clubs seek to maximise season ticket sales??? Most clubs go for a decent figure and only cap it with a few thousand to spare to ensure that some are available to the causal fan to keep them interested.

Your point is undoubtedly valid concerning risk, but its clear the club has made a decision to not overtly push new season ticket Sales and go for the one-offs.

I'm certain all options have been considered and thats the one they feel will generate them the most cash. I think the club is right if we have another successful season as then the ground will fill regardless (remember the missing 10000 are out there). If we are not winning however, it will have been the wrong choice.

NC will probably know this and as such will be planning to have a successful season................lets hope that means what we think it should mean......

Edited by Brussels Saint

Pricing is always going tio be difficult issue - but those that have compared prices with other clubs are in some respect mising the point - expecially the Fullham case - they get 40mil + revenue from sky so have more flexibilty in setting their price. We need the revenue, and I can safely say with 1005 certainty that teh club will have thought long and hard, looking at all aspects of pricing, teh impact on exiosting and new ST holders etc. Those who assume teh club dont give a monkeys about fans, are way off base. Those that think we are being 'badly treated' are way off base. The club has a very difficult balancing act to follow - we entre a new division which requires a new budget - especially given teh demands of fans, new costs associated with each match, the opposition and police and stewarding costs as a result of visits from certain clubs etc - cost of stewarding increased away fans, and potential higher gates all have to factored into the budget - higher attendence = more costs, so its not as simple as saying drop prices to the filll the ground... if it were taht simple they would!

The gate income is the biggest contributer to gross revenue outside the prem, so if a club is serious about attracting and keeping decent squad to make a challenge, we need to balance the costs against anticipated revenue. The thing is you need to step back from you own personal situation, and look at it dispassionately and ask does it represent value - yes we all know football is over priced, but we can thank the wage demands of players for that, not club greed, but if on the one hand we wnat to despise those down the road for cheating their way to success, and remain on the moral high ground by living within our means, BUT still demand success, it has (as many have pointed out) to be paid for.

I dont quite get the need to justify the price based on what divison we are in. The price needs to be justified against the club's success and ambition it shows. Football is entertainment for sure, but as we have said countles times, it should NOT be about who we are playing or the quality on display (our own or opposition), but about what we are trying to build and achieve... we seem to have become so obsessed with expecting owners to pay for everything and 'invest' yet we need to be prepared to do this to if we want a seat at teh top table... afterall how many have said a club IS its fans, a moral/emotional ownership etc... if thats is true , and OUR investment is seeing results, then not sure we have much to moan about right now.

(yes its easy for me to say - I gave up my ST when I moved to Scotland - had it for 10 years and if I average it out its probably around £500 a season - so over 10 years of following saints reagradless of the division, I think its been worth it and not much seems to have changed - sorry but I dont give a flying feck about what division we are/were/will be in when it comes to pricing)

I think this is too big an increase.....I won't renew. I can't make many evening games...

I reckon I'll do 15-18 home games a season which will workout as either £25 to £21 combined for my son and I so our season ticket still offers great value.

We'll have to re-evaluate it when he's over 11.

Pricing is always going tio be difficult issue - but those that have compared prices with other clubs are in some respect mising the point - expecially the Fullham case - they get 40mil + revenue from sky so have more flexibilty in setting their price. We need the revenue, and I can safely say with 1005 certainty that teh club will have thought long and hard, looking at all aspects of pricing, teh impact on exiosting and new ST holders etc. Those who assume teh club dont give a monkeys about fans, are way off base. Those that think we are being 'badly treated' are way off base. The club has a very difficult balancing act to follow - we entre a new division which requires a new budget - especially given teh demands of fans, new costs associated with each match, the opposition and police and stewarding costs as a result of visits from certain clubs etc - cost of stewarding increased away fans, and potential higher gates all have to factored into the budget - higher attendence = more costs, so its not as simple as saying drop prices to the filll the ground... if it were taht simple they would!

The gate income is the biggest contributer to gross revenue outside the prem, so if a club is serious about attracting and keeping decent squad to make a challenge, we need to balance the costs against anticipated revenue. The thing is you need to step back from you own personal situation, and look at it dispassionately and ask does it represent value - yes we all know football is over priced, but we can thank the wage demands of players for that, not club greed, but if on the one hand we wnat to despise those down the road for cheating their way to success, and remain on the moral high ground by living within our means, BUT still demand success, it has (as many have pointed out) to be paid for.

I dont quite get the need to justify the price based on what divison we are in. The price needs to be justified against the club's success and ambition it shows. Football is entertainment for sure, but as we have said countles times, it should NOT be about who we are playing or the quality on display (our own or opposition), but about what we are trying to build and achieve... we seem to have become so obsessed with expecting owners to pay for everything and 'invest' yet we need to be prepared to do this to if we want a seat at teh top table... afterall how many have said a club IS its fans, a moral/emotional ownership etc... if thats is true , and OUR investment is seeing results, then not sure we have much to moan about right now.

(yes its easy for me to say - I gave up my ST when I moved to Scotland - had it for 10 years and if I average it out its probably around £500 a season - so over 10 years of following saints reagradless of the division, I think its been worth it and not much seems to have changed - sorry but I dont give a flying feck about what division we are/were/will be in when it comes to pricing)

This - If we are to be serious about moving up to the Premier League then we have to have a sensibly financed business plan.