Season Ticket Prices Released

Saint_clark

Your bleating. Man up and move seats or stay a pussy and whinge about how hard done by you are.

That's an interesting take on customer relations, perhaps I'll try it with my customers. (Or perhaps you work for a public service ;)).

Of course I'm bleating. So is everybody else who is thus affected, and so would you if your seats went up by 72%. What is it with Britain these days? Some parts of it are run like a hotel in Torquay. Those of us over 60 have suffered what 'service' used to be like, 'take-it-or-leave-it', 'lump-it-or-like-it'.

Can we stop telling every one to move to the Chapel FFS at this rate the Chapel will be packed out with the rest of SMS a bleeding waste ground of tumble weed. The family end won't actually have enough seats for families it will be full of oldies and teenagers who can't afford to sit any where else.

I think if you look at the ST prices every season since (and including) 04/05, you'll see that the ST prices for the forthcoming season are reasonable when put into the context of the last 7/8 years.

That period encompasses three different divisions (19 games in 04/05, and 23 every season since), so you can see some fluctuations.

Admittedly the increase looks big, but should be put into context.

I think if you look at the ST prices every season since (and including) 04/05, you'll see that the ST prices for the forthcoming season are reasonable when put into the context of the last 7/8 years.

That period encompasses three different divisions (19 games in 04/05, and 23 every season since), so you can see some fluctuations.

Admittedly the increase looks big, but should be put into context.

Well they are more expensive than more established Championship clubs. The biggest hike is a result of the removal of senior discounts for those aged 60 to 64, male or female.

I sit on the halfway line, why would I want to move to the end of the ground? There is a large group of us who had seats together at the Dell and we all moved to similar seats at St. Marys. If it's move or nothing ,then it'll be nothing. The club has made a big mistake here, just like they did when they closed the corner blocks 1,2 & 3. The assumption is that these regulars will move elsewhere. They don't, they just give up their season tickets and once you've given it up you never buy another one.

That's the crux of it...with all due respect you want the best seats in the house but aren't willing to pay for it!

I sit on the halfway line, why would I want to move to the end of the ground? There is a large group of us who had seats together at the Dell and we all moved to similar seats at St. Marys. If it's move or nothing ,then it'll be nothing. The club has made a big mistake here, just like they did when they closed the corner blocks 1,2 & 3. The assumption is that these regulars will move elsewhere. They don't, they just give up their season tickets and once you've given it up you never buy another one.

I don't understand this, surely you go to see Southampton play football, not to see them play football from a certain angle only? I understand wanting to sit around your friends, but can't you find a decent seating arrangement elsewhere in the ground?

Keeping blocks 1-3 closed has been a bit of a mistake, but I know quite a few who moved. I put it's closure down to the increasing atmosphere from the Kingsland North.

I don't understand this, surely you go to see Southampton play football, not to see them play football from a certain angle only? I understand wanting to sit around your friends, but can't you find a decent seating arrangement elsewhere in the ground?

Keeping blocks 1-3 closed has been a bit of a mistake, but I know quite a few who moved. I put it's closure down to the increasing atmosphere from the Kingsland North.

No I've sat in the corners and ends and it's a rubbish view.

That's the crux of it...with all due respect you want the best seats in the house but aren't willing to pay for it!

I'm prepared to pay. It's the removal of the age concession that is the complaint. There are plenty of people who sat around me who will have seen an increase from £300 to £415 whilst I and others are facing and increase to £515, even retired women. Even £415 is at the high end of the range of prices charged by other championship clubs and dearer than the most expensive at Wigan, Blackburn, Bolton (without concession).

Can we stop telling every one to move to the Chapel FFS at this rate the Chapel will be packed out with the rest of SMS a bleeding waste ground of tumble weed. The family end won't actually have enough seats for families it will be full of oldies and teenagers who can't afford to sit any where else.

Is this a clever way of getting the most vocal fans to move to the chapel?

Not really, he will choose to spend his money on something else, the club will lose out on his cash.

And they then sell his prime seat on a match by match basis and make more whilst the old whinger stays at home instead of sucking it up, as we've all had to, and move to a cheaper spot in the ground.

And they then sell his prime seat on a match by match basis and make more whilst the old whinger stays at home instead of sucking it up, as we've all had to, and move to a cheaper spot in the ground.

That would mean an empty seat elsewhere in the ground. you're not much good at this marketing thingy are you?

That would mean an empty seat elsewhere in the ground. you're not much good at this marketing thingy are you?

You're assuming that less people will go, when we both know more will.

If you don't go and two full paying day trippers do then the club are quids in and you're at home whinging.

Suck it up, move seats and watch the Saints for £16 a game.

The only loser will be you as you'll miss going.

If you don't go and two full paying day trippers do then the club are quids in and you're at home whinging.

And if they don't? How many do you think will give up their seats because of these increases? It won't be none. Everybody I know who has given up their seats has never regretted it, and they very rarely go back, even for the odd game. Some advice for you: If a long-term customer complains never, ever tell them that they are 'whinging'.

We won't know until the season starts how the pricing will effect this years crowd numbers.

We won't know until the season starts how the pricing will effect this years crowd numbers.

Wise words. Even the number of season tickets sold will not be a true indication as many may cherry-pick their games instead. (Not that we shall be playing them this year).

I really think mountains are being made here. Whilst there are increases, we will see more games of a higher standard. QED it's going to cost more. Some have been more disadvantaged than others because of age band changes, partly because of where things are going legally, partly because the club have probably redone their sums based on demographics.

With the wages we're paying and the ambition of the club it is not being run at a profit, they're looking to get as much of a contribution towards the overspend as possible. If people stay away in their droves (which by the way they won't, everyone loves a winner), then next year the prices will be adjusted. No amount of posts will make this happen any sooner.

It won't happen though. I can confidently predict that average crowds for the league this season will be >10% up on last season.

So don't buy a season ticket if you feel so strongly, but please avoid moaning when you can't get a ticket to a glamour fixture.

I will be sitting there in my full priced seat in the centre stand, wiping the remains of steak pie from my mouth with a £20 note. But when I do I will think of those suffering because they didn't get as much discount as they used to.

It's a damn shame I tells you.

Actually it's two seats that I'm talking about. An increase from £600 to £1030.

I really think mountains are being made here. Whilst there are increases, we will see more games of a higher standard. QED it's going to cost more. Some have been more disadvantaged than others because of age band changes, partly because of where things are going legally, partly because the club have probably redone their sums based on demographics.

As long as any age concessions are applied equally to both (and any) sexes then the club can set the threshold at any age that they choose. Nationally some clubs choose 60 and some choose 65. As far as I can recall Southampton have always set it at 60, but others may correct me.

As long as any age concessions are applied equally to both (and any) sexes then the club can set the threshold at any age that they choose. Nationally some clubs choose 60 and some choose 65. As far as I can recall Southampton have always set it at 60, but others may correct me.

That is correct but as more and more baby boomers retire, so Southampton's fan base becomes skewed to retirees (and gate receipts are affected). As a result it seems sensible to move to reflect the state retirement age, not some number from the last century - especially as some of those getting a discount are on very healthy incomes (either because they are still working, or because they've accrued pension funds in periods of high growth that enable them to retire earlier).

Genuinely, many (granted, not all) of this era of pensioners will enjoy a quality of life better than any before or likely after. Feel sorry for those in their 40's now.... as the number of those in employment drops in proportion, times will become tough.

Anyway I've got to go to bed - I've a busy day tomorrow, earning money/paying taxes to keep you oldies doctored, fed and watered etc. :)

That is correct but as more and more baby boomers retire, so Southampton's fan base becomes skewed to retirees (and gate receipts are affected). As a result it seems sensible to move to reflect the state retirement age, not some number from the last century - especially as some of those getting a discount are on very healthy incomes (either because they are still working, or because they've accrued pension funds in periods of high growth that enable them to retire earlier).

Genuinely, many (granted, not all) of this era of pensioners will enjoy a quality of life better than any before or likely after. Feel sorry for those in their 40's now.... as the number of those in employment drops in proportion, times will become tough.

Anyway I've got to go to bed - I've a busy day tomorrow, earning money/paying taxes to keep you oldies doctored, fed and watered etc. :)

If it's any comfort I also have to work until I drop, not having a pension and all that sort of thing. :(

Again, I appreciate that some rise have been worse than others, as I recall no one has mentioned the fact that the whole of the East and West stand centres charge the same, in the past those seated in the rows right on the half way line were charged more. With regards to the OAP concessions, men working to the age of 65 are still in employment and earning the same wage as an adult. Yes female retirement age, the age at which you could claim a pension was 60. Not wanting to get in the arguement of what age people shold be able to retire etc. but is it not the choice of an individual to retire, if a female was at 60, they are not forced to retire.

However if you work out the cost of renewing spread over a year, and not the 23 games, £515 works out £10 a week.

And if they don't? How many do you think will give up their seats because of these increases? It won't be none. Everybody I know who has given up their seats has never regretted it, and they very rarely go back, even for the odd game. Some advice for you: If a long-term customer complains never, ever tell them that they are 'whinging'.

Spot on.

Going to the football is a habit, and fans are taken for granted, but once you break the habit of going regularly you soon get used to it. Throughout life you have hobbies that you are keen on and then you move on. That is not to say you can stop following the club, you just get used to doing it in moderation, and then ultimately don't go at all.

There's always the match thread.

Dodgy argument. It's not as if your taxes only contributed to your pension, or if you'd been run over by a state subsidised train, you'd turn down been picked up by an ambulance, and driven to the hospital on state maintained roads - all also funded by your taxes. Even your private pension (assuming it was accrued in the UK) would have been subject to tax relief at source, so everyone contributed to that too.

This generation of new pensioners have milked the economy, the environment and left the future taxpayers with a burden. You've got it good and it is unlikely that future generations will be as cash rich as oldies today. Come to think about it you should be subsidising me!

I am aware that my argument was over simplified but I still do not feel that my future pension is "being financed by us!" as was stated by Aintforever !

Whatever happens my overall contributions will far outweigh what I receive !

As for my generation 'milking' the economy, does this mean that your generation of bankers and politicians have 'screwed' the economy as we are now trillions in debt !!

BTW the tax relief on private pensions was scrapped by Gordon Brown (one of his first acts as chancellor) around 1997/98 !

As for me subsidising you, I did, your education, healthcare, security etc.. was paid by the contributions of previous generations !!!

Ps. although I am affected by the 72% increase I have not complained about personal circumstances nor am I refusing to renew, I have just taken umbrage to some invalid statements regarding my place in society !!

I am aware that my argument was over simplified but I still do not feel that my future pension is "being financed by us!" as was stated by Aintforever !

Whatever happens my overall contributions will far outweigh what I receive !

As for my generation 'milking' the economy, does this mean that your generation of bankers and politicians have 'screwed' the economy as we are now trillions in debt !!

BTW the tax relief on private pensions was scrapped by Gordon Brown (one of his first acts as chancellor) around 1997/98 !

As for me subsidising you, I did, your education, healthcare, security etc.. was paid by the contributions of previous generations !!!

Ps. although I am affected by the 72% increase I have not complained about personal circumstances nor am I refusing to renew, I have just taken umbrage to some invalid statements regarding my place in society !!

Tax Relief on private pensions was not scrapped by Gordon Brown, it was the dividend reclaim tax on the investments contained therein. Tax relief on pension contributions for both basic rate and higher rate tax payers was and still is, reclaimable.

Tax Relief on private pensions was not scrapped by Gordon Brown, it was the dividend reclaim tax on the investments contained therein. Tax relief on pension contributions for both basic rate and higher rate tax payers was and still is, reclaimable.

I bow to your superior knowledge on the detail, but nevertheless this action had a pretty disastrous effect and basically triggered the demise of final salary pensions in the private sector !

I bow to your superior knowledge on the detail, but nevertheless this action had a pretty disastrous effect and basically triggered the demise of final salary pensions in the private sector !

Indeed, and was also one of the causes for the poor performance of the stock market, which in turn reduces the money that is available for company investment.

Spot on.

Going to the football is a habit, and fans are taken for granted, but once you break the habit of going regularly you soon get used to it. Throughout life you have hobbies that you are keen on and then you move on. That is not to say you can stop following the club, you just get used to doing it in moderation, and then ultimately don't go at all.

I'm afraid you are dead right. For the first time since 1954 I will not be physically supporting my beloved Saints next season. A hike of 72% in the cost of my season ticket is totally unacceptable and therefore my 2 friends and I who have travelled down from Andover for many many years have regrettably made the decision to call it a day. Thank you Mr Cortese you have succeeded where many others including the notorious Rupert failed. I never thought I would be writing something like this as it is very hard to stop something that you have loved through thick and thin for so long but there are times when you simply have to say enough is enough. I have to admit that I have been very uneasy about the way the present regime have conducted themself in the last couple of season and this latest decision has just proved to me that my negative thoughts were well founded.

I'm afraid you are dead right. For the first time since 1954 I will not be physically supporting my beloved Saints next season. A hike of 72% in the cost of my season ticket is totally unacceptable and therefore my 2 friends and I who have travelled down from Andover for many many years have regrettably made the decision to call it a day. Thank you Mr Cortese you have succeeded where many others including the notorious Rupert failed. I never thought I would be writing something like this as it is very hard to stop something that you have loved through thick and thin for so long but there are times when you simply have to say enough is enough. I have to admit that I have been very uneasy about the way the present regime have conducted themself in the last couple of season and this latest decision has just proved to me that my negative thoughts were well founded.

I think this is a little unfair having a dig at the regime because they are successful.

We all knew if we got promoted it comes with a cost - a more expensive season ticket. I've never had one or ever want one - I have always gone when I want even if it did mean every home game of the season!

As a man I expect to retire at 65, and with that comes a reduced income and belt tightening is inevitable. The club made if easy for the over 60's to get in on the cheap - but they are now looking to seek the next generation of fans and don't under 11's get in free? Swings and roundabouts - football has got inceasingly expensive over the last 20-years - and it certainly won't be getting cheaper if you are striving for The Premiership & regular trips to Europe.

I'd be more worried if they banned over 60's - not having a season ticket doesn't stop you going!

Look back to the time we were relegated to the Championship and the price you paid for a season ticket then. Add on inflation and increase in vat. Are you so far away from what you are being asked to pay next season. Forget the change in age concession, that is not the issue. Also was it not 65 and above at that time?

It will be sad if we lose long standing supporters but think this through and stop blaming Cortese. The prices were artificially low for the last two seasons. It is just a case of redressing the balance.

Not freeloading. It's called sexual equality.

When the life expectancy of a woman equalises with that of a man and they play the same number of sets at Wimbledon I'll accept sexual equality ;)

anyway, my understanding of the pension age change was flawed (poor explanation on the government website until I used the pension date calculator) when I made my last post and it seems that the pension age rises day for day after April 5th 2010, rather than rising immediately to 65, so the inequality will apparently last a while longer in pensions.

The points stand that women shouldn't have been getting it earlier anyway and that a few days paid labour would redress the balance.

on the broader subject of the prices, they seem consistent with our competitors except behind the goals which looks dear. That said, I've only done a detailed comparison with Brighton.

Spot on.

Ahem.....if it's working properly. Possibly the more who don't attend the actual game may well bloat the numbers on the matchday thread? Thus causing more strain on the server. Time to make it access only to full members? Then there will be more subs paid and, my perception, that will afford improvements to the server?

Win win for TSW?

Prices for myself and my son to renew in our current seats in the Kingsland North / Northam corner have risen from £460 to £705 (55%). I was prepared to pay more, but was expecting somewhere in the region of a 20% increase.

I do have the opportunity to move to the Chapel / Kingsland corner, where the viewing perspecive on the game will be similar, but not the atmosphere I suspect. This would cost me £550 which is a 20% increase.

I moved from the Chapel about 5 years ago because the atmosphere was deteriorating badly and have really enjoyed my new location.

I now have a conundrum:

1. Stay where I am and renew (Man-up and take the 55% hike) - feel shafted

2. Move to the Chapel (Accept the anticipated 20% increase but with Sh!t atmosphere) - feel unenthusiastic

3. Go on a game by game basis (But will inevitably end up missing a few) - feel dissatisfied

Whatever happens it all seems a bit unsatisfactory to me. It is a shame because I like a lot of what Cortese does, but the failure to drive season tickets sales to high levels through a more enticing pricing and communication strategy is strange.

A full house, generates a sense of excitement and occasion which must ultimately generate more income through ancilliary sales that trying to maximise income through a smaller population.

Gripe over - time for me to make a decision..............

I think that a lot of people are missing the point. As a 60+ I paid £300 pound for my ticket last year. I didn`t hear any moans from anybody then that concessions starting at 60 (which rightly or wrongly is generally the case in most places) was a problem. I fully expected a fairly hefty rise in my ticket price and thought that about £400 would cover it. Now because of an arbitrary change in club policy I am suddenly being asked to pay £512. There has to have been a better way to deal with this. Generally speaking I suspect that most 60+`s are real long-time supporters like myself and they are being treated disrespectfully. Very few businesses would treat long-term regular customers in this way. As for people saying move or cherry-pick - why should I? I sat on the halfway line at the Dell for 25 years with my ST and at SMS since it opened. It is not a fair way of bringing the prices into line. As for those branding us as "whingers", all I can say is your turn will come before you know it!

I think this is a fantastic ploy by Cortese to rid the club of anyone over 60, who regularly ruin the experience for everyone by sitting down in silence. No season ticket should also equal no chance of tickets for the big away games, so it's a win win situation as far as i'm concerned.

Prices for myself and my son to renew in our current seats in the Kingsland North / Northam corner have risen from £460 to £705 (55%). I was prepared to pay more, but was expecting somewhere in the region of a 20% increase.

I do have the opportunity to move to the Chapel / Kingsland corner, where the viewing perspecive on the game will be similar, but not the atmosphere I suspect. This would cost me £550 which is a 20% increase.

I moved from the Chapel about 5 years ago because the atmosphere was deteriorating badly and have really enjoyed my new location.

I now have a conundrum:

1. Stay where I am and renew (Man-up and take the 55% hike) - feel shafted

2. Move to the Chapel (Accept the anticipated 20% increase but with Sh!t atmosphere) - feel unenthusiastic

3. Go on a game by game basis (But will inevitably end up missing a few) - feel dissatisfied

Whatever happens it all seems a bit unsatisfactory to me. It is a shame because I like a lot of what Cortese does, but the failure to drive season tickets sales to high levels through a more enticing pricing and communication strategy is strange.

A full house, generates a sense of excitement and occasion which must ultimately generate more income through ancilliary sales that trying to maximise income through a smaller population.

Gripe over - time for me to make a decision..............

I'm not saying it's anywhere near as good as your normal seats, but from where i've sat in the Northam last season the Chapel looked like it was joining in a hell of a lot more.

I think that a lot of people are missing the point. As a 60+ I paid £300 pound for my ticket last year. I didn`t hear any moans from anybody then that concessions starting at 60 (which rightly or wrongly is generally the case in most places) was a problem. I fully expected a fairly hefty rise in my ticket price and thought that about £400 would cover it. Now because of an arbitrary change in club policy I am suddenly being asked to pay £512. There has to have been a better way to deal with this. Generally speaking I suspect that most 60+`s are real long-time supporters like myself and they are being treated disrespectfully. Very few businesses would treat long-term regular customers in this way. As for people saying move or cherry-pick - why should I? I sat on the halfway line at the Dell for 25 years with my ST and at SMS since it opened. It is not a fair way of bringing the prices into line. As for those branding us as "whingers", all I can say is your turn will come before you know it!

Buy a 65+ season ticket! They won't have a clue.

Those having inititially budgeted for a price rise of 20% or so were a bit optimistic to be honest. There is a vast difference in player salaries between League 1 and the NPC.

Now without having any real data to back it up I'd say that the average salary in League one can't possibly exceed £2500 a week, if that. Yet in the NPC I'd say it was at least

£6000,so with your player wage bill more than doubling and TV revenue only increasing by a max of £3 million you've got to find the money somewhere unless you can count on a massive upsurge in attendance,Brighton's case I think,but not ours because we already get good gates and another 10% on top would already mean an average home gate of nigh on 25K.

We already have some players on NPC pay cheques but by no means all and those that aren't are no doubt going to either want more money if they're good enough or will need replacing with better but no doubt more expensive players.

Buy a 65+ season ticket! They won't have a clue.

Doubt if they dob them out like Smarties to anyone who asks though.Now you could take a new seat out for an older brother or sister if you're in the 61/64 age group but then it wouldn't be a renewal and I really doubt if they'd want to believe that you lied about your age for the past 30 years or so to make yourself seem younger to attractive ticket office girls.:lol::lol:

The prices were artificially low for the last two seasons. It is just a case of redressing the balance.
In my eyes they were realistically priced for the last two seasons and now they have redressed the balance so we are in line with the many other overcharging football businesses.

I agree with that. I go pretty much every week, but I can honestly see myself stopping completely should I not renew my season ticket. I just can't see myself going through the hassle of buying a individual match day ticket, paying a booking tax and forking out 30 notes to see a NPC game. Also if I don't go, I wonder how soon it will be before the two guys I go with stop as well. They both have very young kids (girls) and little spare time on their hands. It will be easy for them to find something else to do on a weekend.

The idea too that ST holder income will be replaced by this army of matchday ticket buying supporters is ********. When you lose a ST holder you lose a 23 game a season man for the next ten, 20, 30 or 40 years. That is a lot of matchday ticket buying.