Jimmy Savile

sperm_john

News International are determined to get back at the BBC for its live coverage of the Leveson Inquiry and the associated stories like the Millie Dowler hacking. As it is they are simply giving oxygen to the Savile investigation and making more likely that one will blow up in their faces too.

Edited by buctootim

I was listening to Radio 5 Live earlier and Paul Gambaccini was talking about this issue. I know his comments were widely publicised at the beginning of the month in various media outlets but he added some quite explosive stuff.

He was saying that, whilst the BBC must be held to account, other media need similar scrutiny. He said, for example, that News International had been aware FOR YEARS of allegations of necrophilia amongst the great and good but did nothing about it. I think he was of the opinion that the News International stable in particular was bent on villifying the BBC whilst conveniently ignoring its own hypocrisy in not broadcasting such information.

I do think that there are some very powerful, influential people out there who must be bricking it ATM about what else might surface.

Linky

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/jimmy-savile-was-a-necrophiliac-8222948.html

That's what the man said! I know he's Canadian, but his accent wouldn't have distorted 'paedophilia' into necrophilia. Nicky Campbell did a double-take too

Jimmy Savile necrophilia stories have been going round for years. He allegedly used to be left alone in the morgue at one of the hospitals he was associated with.

You couldn't make it up....

I was wondering how the anti Murdoch brigade were going to get News International involved and here it is. It's not the "right on" wonderful BBC, who seemed to allow saville to commit his crimes on their premises and also appear to have put Xmas scehdules before proper investigative journalism, but News International's fault for not printing these rumours.

Before any other leftie uses this issuse to return to their favourite pastime of bashing Murdoch they should remember that if Grant, Coogan and other leftie luvvies get their way, this sort of stuff will never come out.

Perhaps the Daily Mirror should have hacked Savillie's phone and got the story earlier.

I'll give you the 'schedules before investigation' sentence but I think it's disingenuous to suggest that the BBC 'allowed' the abuse to be carried out on their premises. I imagine those at the top were unaware of it and those further down were of the opinion that reporting it would possibly end up with them being disbelieved and / or dismissed. I think Paul Gambaccini alluded to this.

Why didn't News International print these rumours? For much the same reason the lower echelons of the BBC didn't voice their concerns. Savile was courted and feted by very powerful people and it was unlikely, in those days, that such reports would ever see the light of day.

Pages ago, Saint In Paradise gave us a link to a blog about the involvement of politicians, captains of industry, church and police in desperately sick abuse of children in care. Don't you think, in those days and maybe even now, those influential people would have used their powers to quash such rumours and reports?

I don't think that News International have behaved more badly than the BBC. It just irritates me that they, somewhat hypocritically, are seeking to discomfit the BBC for their own ends.

I was wondering how the anti Murdoch brigade were going to get News International involved and here it is. It's not the "right on" wonderful BBC, who seemed to allow saville to commit his crimes on their premises and also appear to have put Xmas scehdules before proper investigative journalism, but News International's fault for not printing these rumours.

Before any other leftie uses this issuse to return to their favourite pastime of bashing Murdoch they should remember that if Grant, Coogan and other leftie luvvies get their way, this sort of stuff will never come out.

Perhaps the Daily Mirror should have hacked Savillie's phone and got the story earlier.

I am just intriged how anyone seems willing to make political mileage out of what is a criminal issue - Any complicity or 'cover up' by the BBC during the 70s and beyond, is hardly the result of 'left wing guardianistas' - attemtts to suggest as such is frankly as pathetic as it is concerning - it masks what the real problem is/was - namely a culture both of the time and of the insititution that swept serious allegations under the carpet.

er no... privicy bills do not prevent public reporting of criminal allegations - they prevent naming names until guilt is proven, which most would argue ensures a fair trial - would Saville now get a fair trial if still alive?

I'll give you the 'schedules before investigation' sentence but I think it's disingenuous to suggest that the BBC 'allowed' the abuse to be carried out on their premises. I imagine those at the top were unaware of it and those further down were of the opinion that reporting it would possibly end up with them being disbelieved and / or dismissed. I think Paul Gambaccini alluded to this.

Why didn't News International print these rumours? For much the same reason the lower echelons of the BBC didn't voice their concerns. Savile was courted and feted by very powerful people and it was unlikely, in those days, that such reports would ever see the light of day.

Pages ago, Saint In Paradise gave us a link to a blog about the involvement of politicians, captains of industry, church and police in desperately sick abuse of children in care. Don't you think, in those days and maybe even now, those influential people would have used their powers to quash such rumours and reports?

I don't think that News International have behaved more badly than the BBC. It just irritates me that they, somewhat hypocritically, are seeking to discomfit the BBC for their own ends.

What a load of nonsense.

What bigger story would there have been for News International than this, to say they wouldn't run this because he was feted is just pony.

. People seem to want it both ways. Respect people's privacy, dont print rumours, but why didn't you print this one?

As Journo's move around all the time any rumours NOTW would have heard other outlets would have heard to.

The BBC should be discomforted over this. Just like the BBC did with phone hacking, News International are just reporting this horrific story. Had this been a sky celebraty Eammon Holmes for example, would lefties be blaming the BBC for not reporting the rumours and then reporting the Sky cover up? Of course not, are you going to continue to dig at Murdoch over every single issue?

Where's Coogan and Grant when you need them? I'm sure if it was Eammon Holmes they'd be telling us that The Murdoch's aren't fit to run a TV station. "Young girls in the Sky dressing rooms, how could the Murdoch's not know?"

Lord D, you really don't understand just how much influence those at the top of the tree have, do you. Almost Masonic like in their ability to close ranks.

The only people who closed ranks were the BBC.

You dont really believe that NOTW had enough to run a story, but refused because of who Savillie knew. You've just peddled that nonsense to have a pop at News International

The only people who closed ranks were the BBC.

You dont really believe that NOTW had enough to run a story, but refused because of who Savillie knew. You've just peddled that nonsense to have a pop at News International

..and you're just having a pop at the BBC. Again.

Surely you don't actually mean necrophilia???

That's what the man said! I know he's Canadian, but his accent wouldn't have distorted 'paedophilia' into necrophilia. Nicky Campbell did a double-take too

Jimmy Savile necrophilia stories have been going round for years. He allegedly used to be left alone in the morgue at one of the hospitals he was associated with.

This rang a distant bell, so I looked up his obituary in The Week, havent got round to chucking out that batch yet.

"He didnt drink, liked to flirt but apparently had no interest in sex (he liked to say women lead to "brain damage"), and for much of his adult life lived with his mother Agnes, whom he called The Duchess. When she died in 1973, Savile spent five days sequestered with her body, a period he later described as "the best five days of my life.... She looked marvellous. She belonged to me. It's wonderful, is death."

That sounded dodgy as all hell to me when I read it at the time, but I just put it down to a warped mind. Poor old dear must have gone to her grave in a right old state.

Lord D, you really don't understand just how much influence those at the top of the tree have, do you. Almost Masonic like in their ability to close ranks.

One minute you say the top people at the Beeb did not know but imply the NI people did, add to that only the NI people close ranks like the masons but the BBC don't ! Lol. Of course only the NI people were the only ones to know of the rumours, the Guardian journalists etc were too busy doing runs with Saville raising money for the good causes to notice. Double standards and hypocrisy .

It sickens me that woman knew of these disgusting events and did not whistleblow. Nurses careers and people of responsibility helped cover for Saville. I accept there are many people who could not face up to the pressure they were put under, but for 35 years, it's incredible. I would like to think I would have done something, but nobody knows 100pc.how they would react. I would have thought RAntzen had the power to get the rumours aired ,why she didn't I really don't understand

Even minor royalty has been implicated in the abuse at the childrens' home in Surrey, along with others. I'm not suggesting anywhere that News International conspired to cover up the allegations - far from it. They probably were pressurised into dropping the story too.

But what I do criticise them for is now taking the moral high ground in their attempt to discredit the BBC.

With regard to victims reporting abuse, just think about it. You're a child in care, in a corrective institution, in hospital and he's abused you. You try to report it. Who is going to believe such a child? Especially back then. After all, this man raised millions for charity and, allegedly, threatened to withdraw his charitable events if anyone accused him of these crimes.

This man apparently spent 11 consecutive Christmas holidays at Chequers - you'd believe a young child over him, with all his contacts and influence?

Even minor royalty has been implicated in the abuse at the childrens' home in Surrey, along with others. I'm not suggesting anywhere that News International conspired to cover up the allegations - far from it. They probably were pressurised into dropping the story too.

But what I do criticise them for is now taking the moral high ground in their attempt to discredit the BBC.

With regard to victims reporting abuse, just think about it. You're a child in care, in a corrective institution, in hospital and he's abused you. You try to report it. Who is going to believe such a child? Especially back then. After all, this man raised millions for charity and, allegedly, threatened to withdraw his charitable events if anyone accused him of these crimes.

This man apparently spent 11 consecutive Christmas holidays at Chequers - you'd believe a young child over him, with all his contacts and influence?

Yeah, nothing more annoying than sanctimonious land-grabbing of the moral high ground.

One minute you say the top people at the Beeb did not know but imply the NI people did, add to that only the NI people close ranks like the masons but the BBC don't ! Lol. Of course only the NI people were the only ones to know of the rumours, the Guardian journalists etc were too busy doing runs with Saville raising money for the good causes to notice. Double standards and hypocrisy .

It sickens me that woman knew of these disgusting events and did not whistleblow. Nurses careers and people of responsibility helped cover for Saville. I accept there are many people who could not face up to the pressure they were put under, but for 35 years, it's incredible. I would like to think I would have done something, but nobody knows 100pc.how they would react. I would have thought RAntzen had the power to get the rumours aired ,why she didn't I really don't understand

The BBC may well have turned a blind eye to what was happening, and if they did they were at fault but not alone. The hospitals involved, the prison service, the police, and every newspaper in the country are equally culpable. Its ridiculous to single out the BBC simply on the basis that they are publicly funded; so are the prisons and hospitals.

Gambaccini also said he had bribed police in Leeds and successfully threatened others.

He also said Savile could arrange double page promotional articles on himself in national newpapers.

Is that the same police force castigated over Hillsborough and now the miners' strike? This is not a rhetorical question - I really don't know

The BBC may well have turned a blind eye to what was happening, and if they did they were at fault but not alone. The hospitals involved, the prison service, the police, and every newspaper in the country are equally culpable. Its ridiculous to single out the BBC simply on the basis that they are publicly funded; so are the prisons and hospitals.

The BBC are not being singled out because they are publicaly owned . The are singled out because many of the offenses sere committed on their premises, by an employee and it is alledged that other employees, knew, suspected or took part(the enquiry will hopefully find out). It also looks like they shelved a report to either protect the Xmas schedules or to protect the BBC. How on earth you compare that to papers involvement is beyond me. Had Richard Littlejohn abused kids on the mails premises, had other mail emplyees known or suspected,had the mail binned an investigation into it to protect sales , would you be saying the BBC was equally to blame ?

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

The BBC are not being singled out because they are publicaly owned . The are singled out because many of the offenses sere committed on their premises, by an employee and it is alledged that other employees, knew, suspected or took part(the enquiry will hopefully find out). It also looks like they shelved a report to either protect the Xmas schedules or to protect the BBC. How on earth you compare that to papers involvement is beyond me. Had Richard Littlejohn abused kids on the mails premises, had other mail emplyees known or suspected,had the mail binned an investigation into it to protect sales , would you be saying the BBC was equally to blame ?

NO one is denying the BBC's fault in this - what I am interested in is how anyone can suggest they are at fault because of some left wing culture - it is riduculous to link the two...

I'm not coming to the defence of savile but he is dead cannot defend himself . The police . Media and Internet forums Re just fueling the witch hunt that is going on . Let justice and the concept of innocent till proven guilty take due process . But saville and the effects if police statements have already contaminated and compromised any fair investigation . The pice should have said nothing but then they are not whiter than white. Still it deflects the negative media that could be directed at them because of hillsborough and now the miners strike . If saville is proven guilty then so be it but let the judicial process run its course .

This rang a distant bell, so I looked up his obituary in The Week, havent got round to chucking out that batch yet.

"He didnt drink, liked to flirt but apparently had no interest in sex (he liked to say women lead to "brain damage"), and for much of his adult life lived with his mother Agnes, whom he called The Duchess. When she died in 1973, Savile spent five days sequestered with her body, a period he later described as "the best five days of my life.... She looked marvellous. She belonged to me. It's wonderful, is death."

That sounded dodgy as all hell to me when I read it at the time, but I just put it down to a warped mind. Poor old dear must have gone to her grave in a right old state.

As the locals round here might say, "Eeeeeeee!"

With slightly less local dialect, that is rather disturbing with hindsight. May be a case of 2+2=5, but at this point, probably wouldn't be a surprise.

People have often made the point that as a dead person, Savile can't defend himself. True of all dead people, innit?

Eeeeeee.

Just idly speculating reading this every few days or so.

Taking out the "it's all about the beeb at the moment" and thinking about the Jersey "cover up/mess/firing Cops" & Surrey, and who else could have known/been involved

News International, Politicians, Royalty, one article mentioning MoD "links" and another mentioned "D Notice" but never in the same week let alone day

Now that would be an interesting research project for someone

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20070093

Mr Watson said an evidence file collected by the police to convict paedophile Peter Righton in 1992 "contains clear intelligence of a widespread paedophile ring".

"One of its members boasts of his links to a senior aide of a former prime minister, who says he could smuggle indecent images of children from abroad," he said.

"The leads were not followed up, but if the files still exist, I want to ensure that the Metropolitan Police secure the evidence, re-examine it and investigate clear intelligence suggesting a powerful paedophile network linked to Parliament and No 10."

Most damming evidence against saville and probably one of the reasons the family moved the gravestone. is that Savile's great-niece Caroline Robinson has accused him of sexually abusing her when she was 12.

And the familial aspect must never be forgotten in the 'tsunami of filth' as Lord Patten put it.

Most child sexual abuse is carried out by family members. I do hope the current awareness of Savile's crimes helps victims of family sexual abuse to feel confident about talking to people about it.

And the familial aspect must never be forgotten in the 'tsunami of filth' as Lord Patten put it.

Most child sexual abuse is carried out by family members. I do hope the current awareness of Savile's crimes helps victims of family sexual abuse to feel confident about talking to people about it.

Reported on the radio this morning that one of the charities (can't remember which as I was half asleep) were reporting a massive surge in these sort of crimes being reported.