Iconic Saints photos

saintmatt

When does this picture date from?

Chocolate boxes and the Shearer/Draper tools shirt... late eighties?

I'm still wearing this shirt to games now ... it must be 25 years old???

I think it's late 80s. The chocolate boxes had gone and the Milton was one big terrace. Also the other picture I posted from the same time shows the Lower East Stand when it was divided between bench seats at the Milton end and terraces at the Archers.

I think it's late 80s. The chocolate boxes had gone and the Milton was one big terrace. Also the other picture I posted from the same time shows the Lower East Stand when it was divided between bench seats at the Milton end and terraces at the Archers.

Being pedantic (and I'm sure this is what you mean't) but the Milton Road wasn't one big terrace, it was two tier, with the upper tier, the one in the photo, being very steep. The Milton only became single tier when it was rebuilt as an all-seater.

It was pretty miserable on that upper tier on wet and windy days.

When does this picture date from?

Chocolate boxes and the Shearer/Draper tools shirt... late eighties?

I'm still wearing this shirt to games now ... it must be 25 years old???

I thought it looked like an early nineties kit to me. Terry Hurlock, Dowie et al. Reminded me of this site - 91-93 I think.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Southampton/Southampton.htm

I thought it looked like an early nineties kit to me. Terry Hurlock, Dowie et al. Reminded me of this site - 91-93 I think.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Southampton/Southampton.htm

At a push, I reckon it was 11 March 1992, Saints 1 Palace 0, judging from the Brazil kits on show. I think I can just about see myself in my season ticket in the East Stand ;-)

Being pedantic (and I'm sure this is what you mean't) but the Milton Road wasn't one big terrace, it was two tier, with the upper tier, the one in the photo, being very steep. The Milton only became single tier when it was rebuilt as an all-seater.

It was pretty miserable on that upper tier on wet and windy days.

Thanks for the history lesson! This is a complete 'blank' in my Saints supporting days, having spent many a time in the chocolate boxes, I wasn't aware that the Milton even went to a two tier terrace!

Moved away from Soton in 76-77 aged 14 and despite the one-off away game didn't really get back properly till the early 90's.

I must be the only person on here of a certain age who never saw a Le Tiss classic, I saw him live lots of times and saw him score lots of scuffs and penalties but never saw any single one of his classics live.

Sad, me; but my match day shirt can now be reliably carbon dated at 20 years old.

At a push, I reckon it was 11 March 1992, Saints 1 Palace 0, judging from the Brazil kits on show. I think I can just about see myself in my season ticket in the East Stand ;-)

What Brazil kits on show ? If you're referring to the other pic [below] (guessing that was taken at the same time) which had Saints playing against a team in yellow shirts, blue shorts and light blue socks, that's Sheffield Wednesday's away kit circa 91/2 - you can even see Carlton Palmer. The number "2" on what is probably Mel Sterland's back is iconically Umbro-shaped as well as the flash of colour on the side of the shorts - the Palace (Tulip-sponsored) away kit had plain blue shorts, and why would they have had blue socks to change into when their home kit was red and their away was white ?

thedell3.jpg

As others have said, the Admiral shirt in the "Upper Milton" pic with the people going out up the road didn't exist until summer 1991.

I vaguely recall the Wednesday away kit of this season having the Football League circular logo on the sleeves, so it would have been 1991/2 not 1992/3 which was the first season of the Prem.

Oh, and according to this http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Sheffield_Wednesday/Sheffield_Wednesday.htm Wednesday didn't have a sponsor between Aug-Dec 1991, and there's one clearly visible on the shirt, so... if it's one of these 3 matches :

1991/1992

English League Cup We 20Nov 1991 Southampton 1 - 0 Sheff Wed

English Div 1 (old) Sa 18Apr 1992 Southampton 0 - 1 Sheff Wed

Premiership Mo 28Dec 1992 Southampton 1 - 2 Sheff Wed

I'd be going for April 18th 1992, not least because it's daylight and the other two were midweek evening games.

Note to Turkish, there are times when having a ridiculously anal knowledge of football kits is useful.

Edited by The9

It's not until you look at the above picture that you realise how big The Dell pitch actually was.

A good benchmark of a pitch size is the distance between touchline and 18-yard box and unless it's an optical illusion, the Dell pitch is quite wide.

It was certainly a lot bigger than the pitch at Highbury, which was reknowned as being the smallest playing area in the top flight. Yet it always looked quite big.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guly is the only person not back defending there, obviously too lazy ;)

He's arguably the furthest back ;)

(I'll be honest, I didn't spot him at first - have all 11 of our players ever occupied such a small area of the pitch when the ball's been in play before!?)

0279fe95-2377-28d4.jpg

0279fe95-238e-2ee5.jpg

A bit too soon to be iconic!?

Do you know that picture epotimises how badly the TEAM want to be in the premier league. If any motivational person wants an example of what a team is they should use this.

If there's ever been an instance before when the entire eleven players are in our six yard box' date=' I can't remember it....[/quote']

First season in League 1 at SMS. Fonte did an awful back pass to Kelvin up the Northam end and KD had no choice but to save it with his hand or it would have gone in. Indirect Freekick inside our box and all our players lined up on the line. They blocked the shot out for a corner and Papa Waigo went crazy.