Who are You?

pressingon

32 and from Cleveland, Ohio. A friend of mine is from Southampton and he got me into the team. I've been following since the last season in the Premier League, but in truth I've only really been following since the Liebherr's took over, as the previous ownership made me sick. Only been to St. Mary's once, last season versus MK Dons. Funny because it was an amazing game and the two biggest heroes of the game, Forte and Barnard, are both out-of-favour with the club. It hasn't even been a year. Oh well. Onwards and upwards!

52 now in Verwood from Hillhead.

First game, cannot remember date but remember it was Man City and I was small enough to sit on my dads shoulders for whole game.

Signed as an associate schoolboy in 1972 and spent the next few years chasing Steve Moran at training and never stopping him scoring hence i was released. Best decision they ever made, I was rubbish, but so proud to have sort of played for the club I love.

Cannot believe this club has dominated my lfe for over 40 years

58, born almost in Southampton (the 1954 boundary changes moved the Southampton boundary out to include where I lived).

My first game was a 3-2 win in 1960 and because my father was a Toon supporter I always thought it must have been against Newcastle, however when Duncan book came out I realised it must have been against Sunderland (15 Oct).

I remember sitting on his shoulders for some of the game so I could see.

I also remember we went to the 2nd or 3rd turnstile from the left in the Milton Road and I was lifted over the turnstile after the gateman was slipped some money, so the Official Attendance for that game is one out.

My first away game was WHU in 1970 when eight mins in Tommy Jenkins picked the ball up just inside his own half right in front of me and dribbled from the left wing past the whole WHU team before slipping the ball under the goalkeeper in the inside right channel (i remembered it was with his right foot but Duncan's book says l-foot !?)

I was also one of the very few at Everton in 1974 and saw Osgood first goal for Saints. I hoped that we would win and that Brum would lose that day and we would be safe, however ....

52 now in Verwood from Hillhead.

First game, cannot remember date but remember it was Man City and I was small enough to sit on my dads shoulders for whole game.

Signed as an associate schoolboy in 1972 and spent the next few years chasing Steve Moran at training and never stopping him scoring hence i was released. Best decision they ever made, I was rubbish, but so proud to have sort of played for the club I love.

Cannot believe this club has dominated my lfe for over 40 years

Hillhead bet i know you lol........Red Lion Bishopsfield saint ?

36 and live in Godalming. Grew up in Shrewsbury but have been going to Saints since before I can remember. Come from a long line of Saints fans and my first game would have been around 1979. I don't remember it, but my early memories include the Manyoo game when Keegan scored the disallowed overhead kick, and I also remember a reserves game at the Dell where beat Bristol Rovers 8-0. I missed every goal thanks to a notoriously weak bladder and too many cokes before the game. Have been a ST holder since St Mary's came along, but went to plenty of games a season in the Dell days.

48 Born Chandlers Ford now Ringwood since 86

First home 74 West ham Texaco cup

First away 78 Brighton New Years Day

Missed 7 home games since promotion in 78

Season ticket holder under East stand by the Tap at the Dell, now Itchen block 3

Age 57. Born & raised in Alton and have lived back there since early 1990s. Played against Trevor Hebberd in Alton Boys League circa 1971.

First game away at Spurs 1966 - lost 5-3 but thrilling. First home game (I think) 3-2 v ManCity 1967.

Future Mrs StOat's first home game 1-1 v ManU 1974 (both relegated). Fantastic pre-match punch-up in stands and all over the pitch - OB with dogs everywhere - great view of it all from chocco box. She didn't come again!

Lived away from Hants for 20 years from mid 1970s, but saw the odd great match: 1-0 v Leeds League Cup semi 1979 (most electric atmosphere I ever experienced at the Dell), promotion at Orient away 1978, bonfires on the Plough Lane terrace late 1980s.

STH since 1995, Dell West Stand/Kingsland.

59 born in Suthampton, both sides of family Saints fans.

First game away at Swindon in Nov 63. I was at boarding school in Bath and my Dad came and took me. Paine scored a cracker and we won 2-1.

Moved to Gloucester when I was 5 and then moved to Cape Town in 1964. BBc world service kept me up to date and my Nan used to send me The Pink every week, took 7 days to get there!

Came back to Soton on my 18 birthday and went to every home game in the 70/71 and 71/72 season.

Back to Africa in 72.

Saints won Cup on my 24th birthday best present ever!

Came back to UK end of 76 but didnt live in Soton. Back to Africa in 83. Back to uk in 95 and lived in Brum. Many visits to Dell and the wonders of Le Tiss.

Now live in Corby.

Dream is to live in Soton and have season ticket.

43, Live in Hedge End

1st Away - Fratton Park, 1-0 Channon 89, April 76

1st Home - The Dell, Bolton (I think) 1st gameof next season, August 76, can't remember score, 1-1 I think

In between these two - went to Charity Shield at Wembley, lost 1-0 v Liverpool (Toshack)

ST Holder since 88

53 - Pocklington (ex Shirley)

First game Villa at The Dell in 67 - 6-2 to Saints.

First away game...Oxford United one Boxing Day.

Do my bit home and away and variuos forums - and really enjoyed the last few seasons in the lower leagues. Hartlepool on a cold, wet, Tuesday night is to doie for!

72 (yes I'm that old!) live in Bursledon

1st match 1957 v Walsall won 4-1 - been to nearly every home match since. Terry Paine was my hero and we're the same age!

3 sons and daughter all keen Saints fans

38 - live in ash vale (nr Aldershot but sotonian for 33 years)

First game 1981 - cant really remember who it was but Liverpool springs to mind. We lost tho I think.

First away game - Forest (sheringham played for them those days but can't remember the year! ****e memory or what!)

72 (yes I'm that old!) live in Bursledon

1st match 1957 v Walsall won 4-1 - been to nearly every home match since. Terry Paine was my hero and we're the same age!

3 sons and daughter all keen Saints fans

Thank goodness, I'm not the oldest! Mind you, seems 1956 is the earliest for first game.

45 Kent

First Live Game 1-0 saints v Arsenal 1978 ( I think), tho' can remember watching the 76 cup final on TV

Remember as a small boy sitting in my grandparents smoke filled livingroom in Winchester listening to my grandad going on about Titmus, Parker & Allen

37. Live in Royston Hertfordshire.

First game home to Coventry 8-2 in 1983. Then a huge gap to 86 I think when I started going regularly lost at home to Everton 0-4 and Graham Sharpe scored all 4. Watched from the old bench seats.

First away game 1988/89 QPR away and we won 1-4!

27, Live in Coventry

First Home Game: v Leeds, August 1995. 1-1 Draw.

First Away Game: at Sheffield Wednesday, 0-1 away win. February 2000.

Season Ticket Holder in the Kingsland/Chapel corner for the last 2 years. Have been a season ticket holder on and off (due to economic reality) since 2004.

Was that the one that jones saved a pen, or was that the 0-0 game?

Age not telling - born in the 1950s, but I reckon I'm the oldest player in my Italian regional footie league by a long way.. Born near the smoke with parents from Eastleigh, moved abroad when young and started going when we came back to the UK because Dad had been getting all excited when we arrived in the first division for the first time and my interest was piqued.

First game I've no idea, first away game no idea, but I used to go to London games when I was at school as we lived in the Thames Valley. I'm sure parents would worry a lot more these days, but I was sensible and they let me go. I remember Chivers scoring in a 3-1 win at Spurs, going with Dad to the promotion game in 1978? and with my sister to the heart-breaking semi at Highbury against Everton..

Went to Soton Uni - saw most home games and a few away (Notlob when Stokes scored a couple) and blame my crap final's performance on an event on the 1st May 1976... Later a ST holder under the East Stand and in the Itchen at the SMS. Living in semi-poverty in Italy these day, but manage pre-season and Christmas games. I don't think I saw a win for about three years but the last couple of trips home have been OK.:-) Out here I train as a keeper as well as coming off the bench as a taller than average (not difficult here!) CF and I wear my Saints tops at twice weekly training with pride.

Absolutely. My first game was home against Sunderland in 1967. 2-1 down at half time and we finished up with a 3-2 win. How can you not remember a game like that, First away game was at Chelsea where we also won 3-2 (there's a theme developing here). Never thought I would see 3 cup finals involving Saints (and that's not counting the Daily Exprerss five a side or the Teaxaco Cup Final v Newcastle).

And one of those finals was 3-2!

24, born in Southampton, raised in Southampton and went to university in Southampton. First home game I think was against Oldham, we lost 1-3. First away game was Tottenham in the FA Cup and we drew 1-1.

Now a STH in the Northam and do evry game home and away. Love every minute of it.

I am surprised you can leave for away games lol.

I'm 65 soon, Freemantle boy so only lived 10 minutes fro the Dell, dad was friends with Alf Ramsey and Ted Bates and took me to a game when I was about 7. Like Derry, I remember Eric Day and Johnny Hoskins and Terry Paine's wife was an ice skater and they lived in Romsey Road up from the Old Thatch towards Maybush. Can't remember first match but got my season ticket when KK signed otherwise you couldn't get in, shame really because our group of friends got scattered around the ground, depended on what you could afford.

Good memories (I think) of Ron Davies scoring 4 at Chelsea in a 6-2 win, what a fantastic goal scorer, hope he's doing OK, wish he could visit St.Mary's and get the reception he deserves but I imagine his health would not allow it.

31. originally from Fareham but now living in Hilsea! Had a season ticket in the Northern for 6 or 7 years.

1st game 0-0 v Everton, early 90's i think.

1st away v Wimbledon at Selhurst, Great escape season. MLT scores from a corner!!

Sotonian, grew up in Bassett (as the locals would call our little bit of the Flower Estate) and moved to Liverpool for Uni in 1994.

Met Matt Le Tiss when he was about 17 at the Southampton Flower and Balloon Show. The Saints youngsters were doing training sessions with the local toe-rags - got to have a little kick-about with him for 10 minutes or so. Very cool to see him go on and become a Saints legend.

First ever Saints game was in December 1998. My dad took me and my brother up to Wimbledon when they were still at Plough Lane. We lost that 2-1, and the cheeky Dons were charging £4.50 for kids. Plough Lane was a craphole too :D

First ever home game was Oxford United in January 1990. 1-0 Saints.

Lived quite near the Dell when I was 15-16, so went quite a bit. Remember getting in for £3 as a "boy" ( there are some advantages to being a short-arse ). I also used to wander in to watch the odd reserve game.

Best game was in 1998 at Anfield, where we won 3-2, just because I was living there and Saints had done them on their own turf.

These days, mostly go to northern away games - although looking to come down to St Marys more. That said, atmosphere at away games is usually brilliant. I take my daughters or nephew to games with me. The eldest daughter claims to be a supporter, but don't think she's really that bothered. The younger one is disappointingly a Red. Still, one out of two ain't bad.

35. Live in Las Vegas. Grew up in Surrey and lived in Southampton for 4 years. The lure of the Dell nearby sucked me in.

First home game in 95 - 0-0 draw with Wimbledon

First away game - few years later - Dellhurst part 1.

52, born in So'ton but grew up in Eastleigh. Now a dual life between Reading & Chertsey (long story)

First game 1968 v Sheff Wed at the Dell, Ron the Nod scored just before half time. First away game v Arsenal at Highbury the same season I think, 3-0 win, think Mick Judd made his debut (?)

All time XI Shilton, Mills M, Watson, Wright, Bridge, Paine, Ball, Williams, Le Tissier, Channon, Davies subs: Niemi, Svensson M, Case, Armstrong, Keegan

Have been lucky to see players like that over the last 40-odd years! Hoping for many more

Favourite player apart from MLT: Nick Holmes

Favourite goals apart from Bobby Stokes: Channon vs Liverpool 1982; Matt vs Wimbledon - the free kick that he teed up himself then volleyed in

Best feeling - Fratton 1984

Worst feeling - Highbury 1984; Fratton 2005 (although thankfully not at that one)

Most overrated game - 5-5 vs Coventry - never have liked Basketball

What a cracking thread and a nice change from the 'Promotion Panic' that has set in the asylum...

31, West End, but grew up in the Polygon and used to sit on the concrete wall at the end of the Milton Stand, opposite the St Johns Ambulance room on my own from a young age. I've got no idea what my first game was but I remember practicing Matty's autograph every day and the one time, after what seemed like 'hundreds' of requests, that Tim Flowers actually signed my autograph book. The smell of ciggies and Bovril wafting through the stands and the anticipation of half-time when I could buy a packet of Fish'n'Chips crisps and a packet of Clix (sp?) chewing gum from the hawkers walking around the edge of the pitch.

First away game was against Man U on the bingo bus with my mate Phil. I'd queued through the night to get the tickets and laughed when we got to the coach park when we counted about ten coaches with the 'Surrey Reds' signs inside.

Now a STH in The Northam, Block 42, Row HH and love our little 'family' me and my mate have around us. Bring back Blocks 1&2 next season though!

Good times supporting the Red & Whites.

72 :-(

Spent the war in Blackfield, moved to Hythe in 1945, when my dad came home from 5 years as a PoW. Now living in Kent.

First game - Saints v Derby County - my dad took me for my first visit to The Dell in 1946 - Saints won 4-2.

I remember Derby had a player called Jackie Stamps...I seem to recall he certainly did.

Don`t really do away matches, as such, but tbf coming from Kent means Saints home matches are `away from home` for me.

50 - Grew up in Chandlers Ford, now live in Winchester

First game January 71, 2-1 win over Stoke. All I can remember was Gordon Banks playing in goal for Stoke and the winning goal from Ron Davies at the far post

First away game - Orient 1978 - fantastic evening

Worst experience - Highbury 1984 - enough said

Age 39. Born in Southampton grew up in Hythe.

Joined the forces when I left school travelled around a bit, currently living in Lincolnshire and leaving the forces this summer after 23 years. Toying with the idea of moving back down south and setting up home so I can buy a season ticket!!

First home game? early 80's

First away game, either Villa or Coventry 1989/1990 I think!

52- from millbrook now Totton lived in city all my life.

First home game 1966 Leicester .

Away game Nottingham forest or Luton when about 14/15

Have stood in chocolate boxes , Milton road and archers .Now the Northam

Love the saints and the ups and downs .Ron Davies ,Terry Paine, Matt Le and now Ricky Lambert we are so lucky COYR

Closer to 40 than 30 (42 but I like that previous stat - it's 100% accurate and tells you all you need to know about the importance and value of statistics...)

Lived closer to another Hampshire team but my cousin gave me a second hand Saints shirt and I was hooked - every Panini album from 76 to 81, every Saints player, spares all over the back of the bedroom door, next to the Action Man wallpaper. I didn't actually go until I was about 12? We beat Liverpool 2-0 on a Friday night and Wallace outjumped Hansen to head home! Having scored an incredible scissor kick.

First away game? No idea.

Now living and working in Surrey, would love more time to go more often but live with four women... on the run from the wife! (Actually, that last bit is a lie, she is one of the four...) Go to most home games with Goalie66, who I met on here!

Another one drawn out of the shadows by this thread.

53 ex Shirley,St.Georges and Taunton.

First home game was Chivers last ever home game which I think was a 3-3 draw with Sheff Utd but not sure.

Cant remember away game but probably in London in early seventies.

Used to go in the Archers and jump over the wall at the back and then stand half way down the East stand in a little 'mob'.

Still get tickets from Lets B Avenue for a few games every season as lived in sunny Essex for 30 plus years and he'll no doubt correct me about the above game!

Sorry for the completely random, off topic question, but I noticed you live in Stockholm. What's the city like? I'm thinking of moving there. Is there much work about?

Would you recommend it? :)[/QUOTE]

Depends on you - as an individual. The tax system is horrific and the climate is " challenging " unless you are keen on skiing in the winters.

If you don't mind sub-zero temperatures for a 4 month long winter with snow up to your bippy..and being surrounded by lots of other immigrants - Its OK.

you'd do well to come with a good bank balance as EVERYTHING is dear, housing difficult to come by - unless you have a good job, or a Swedish girlfriend (or boyfriend).. according to preference...with whom you can co-habit.

Many English / U.S. guys who come here seldom stay with the same partner after they discover you aren't Swedish. (mine didn't btw) - we've been married 28 years.

still interested ..? The transport system; buses, underground and commuter trains are well integrated and run to the second. Stockholm is very up-market, EVERYTHING is computerised and (rich) people change their cars and phones every year....the quite short summer (june / july) can be gorgeous and I wouldn't swop it for any Med.beach or a Greek island. If you like boats there are great opportunities to get out in the Stockholm Archipeligo in summertime.

Jobs are hard to come by....even if you have some type of established career but don't speak Swedish - like a Swede. Get a UK job with a Swedish company and ask for a move to Stockholm ..(a long shot)

Don't come without a job ..unless you want to end up as a barman to make ends meet - unless of course you are a good barman and then you can get work in one of the many (so-called) English pubs in the city....but you still need the Swedish girlfriend - and expect a big dose of culture shock after you stop living like a tourist.

If I haven't succeeded in giving you some sort of second thoughts... PM me question, and I'll tell you more.

regards David

Edited by david in sweden

Sorry for the completely random, off topic question, but I noticed you live in Stockholm. What's the city like? I'm thinking of moving there. Is there much work about?

Would you recommend it? :)[/QUOTE]

Depends on you - as an individual. The tax system is horrific and the climate is " challenging " unless you are keen on skiing in the winters.

If you don't mind sub-zero temperatures for a 4 month long winter with snow up to your bippy..and being surrounded by lots of other immigrants - Its OK.

you'd do well to come with a good bank balance as EVERYTHING is dear, housing difficult to come by - unless you have a good job, or a Swedish girlfriend (or boyfriend).. according to preference...with whom you can co-habit.

Many English / U.S. guys who come here seldom stay with the same partner after they discover you aren't Swedish. (mine didn't btw) - we've been married 28 years.

still interested ..? The transport system; buses, underground and commuter trains are well integrated and run to the second. Stockholm is very up-market, EVERYTHING is computerised and (rich) people change their cars and phones every year....the quite short summer (june / july) can be gorgeous and I wouldn't swop it for any Med.beach or a Greek island. If you like boats there are great opportunities to get put in the Stockholm Archipeligo in summertime.

Jobs are hard to come by....even if you have some type of established career but don't speak Swedish - like a Swede. Get a UK job with a Swedish company and ask for a move to Stockholm ..(a long shot)

Don't come without a job ..unless you want to end up as a barman to make ends meet - unless of course you are a good barman and then yopu can get work in one of the many (so-called) English pubs in the city....but you still need the Swedish girlfriend - and expect a big dose of culture shock after you stop living like a tourist.

If I haven't succeeded in giving you a large dose of second thoughts... PM me question , and I'll tell you more.

regards David

how long have you been working for the Swedish tourist board?!! :)

72 :-(

Spent the war in Blackfield, moved to Hythe in 1945, when my dad came home from 5 years as a PoW. Now living in Kent.

First game - Saints v Derby County - my dad took me for my first visit to The Dell in 1946 - Saints won 4-2.

I remember Derby had a player called Jackie Stamps...I seem to recall he certainly did.

Don`t really do away matches, as such, but tbf coming from Kent means Saints home matches are `away from home` for me.

Snopper! Where on earth have you been hiding? Thought you were watching Saints from 'upstairs'. Do you still get to SMS?

58 Born Kings College Hospital Lived in south London until 10 then moved to West Wickham nr Bromley.

Now live in the shadow of Leeds Castle.

First match 1966 at Selhurst Park (nearest team to me were Palarse). Lost 1-0. Big Chiv sent off.

First home match 1-0 v Charlton 1966. I think Chiv pulled the ball back for Paine to score (or vice versa).

Went with a mate who supported Saints, got the bug and that was it.

Claim to fame - jumped over the wall at Orient just before it collapsed and walked off the pitch with the players. LIke that could happen now!

Late twenties, grew up on the wrong side of Hampshire but the old man made sure i was a Saint.

First home game was in the late 80s or early 90s v Sheffield Wednesday, i think we lost 1-0.

First away was Chelsea around 95, lost 3-0.

48 now living in East Yorkshire, north of Hull - First match was a 4-1 victory v Nottm Forest, approx 1971. Stood on the Archers and managed to see the square root of bugger all! First away game 1-0 victory at Nottarf Krap in 1976; Channon approx 88 min. Second away game was a few weeks later, some insignificant game at Wembley Stadium.