Who are You?

pressingon

When reading posts I often wonder about the people writing them regarding their Saints history and thought it would be interesting if we posted a quick introduction

I'm 60/live in New Forest/first game lost at home to Plymouth 1961 (think keeper was injured and Terry Paine went in goal then later swapped with someone else/STH Kingsland

30 years of age.

Used to live in Yeovil and was one of only 2/3 Saints fans in Secondary School, but now live in Fair Oak.

First game was March 1994 at The Dell, lost 1-3 to Oldham, Benali scored a brilliant own-goal.

My first away game was against Charlton in 2009/10, drew 1-1.

Now a STH in the Itchen, since 2009/10.

6 pages in and only one fake reply... not bad going. Shame some more of the regulars haven't contributed but I guess that is a step down the road to removing anonymity, which is of course an essential component of keyboard warriorism*.

* - If this isn't a word, it should be.

30 years old, live on the isle of wight, have had a brief stint living in Pompey too unfortunately. First game was March 1990, Forest at the dell and a 2-0 win with Rod Wallace getting both. Hooked from then on. First away was a year later at Palace, lost 2-1 with Geoff Thomas getting 2 in a minute for them and Glenn Cockerill pulling one back for us. Good days!

I was at that one

Until I started watching Cambridge up here that was the worst match I had ever seen.

Also there was packed snow all over the Milton end which made bits of it more of a slide than a terrace. H&S wouldent allow that now!

46 from Epsom and member of London Saints.

Saints were first league team I saw play at the end of 84/85 season. 0-0 v Stoke who had already been relegated, it was freezing cold. Saw a handful of games while at Soton University then not until Charlton game first home win at St Mary's. Regular since then. First away game was 1-0 win at Upton Park in 02/03, Beattie scoring in added time.

Been travelling since October so following results from South East Asia. Back for Boro away and Coventry at home. And playoffs if necessary!

43 from the Warren, first home was Mick Channons testimonial, May 3rd 1976. Can't remember the game, can remember queuing from down Hill Lane to get in though, and sitting on my dads shoulders to watch. Was a regular with him after that, me sat on the wall of the cage under the west after that. Cheers dad, happy times.

First Saints game away from the Dell was the 79 league cup final, cannot recall my first real away!

Another late comer to Saints. Age 37, grew up in SE London and starting "supporting" Saints from afar when I came down here to Uni in 1992. Never actually went to a game until I moved back down here in 2000. First game was 1-0 against Charlton, first win at St Mary's. First ST was half season ticket second half of 2002/03 (which was good timing) and have had one ever since. First "away" game I think was FA Cup Final. Until recently I could say it's been downhill ever since but not after the last couple of years!

6 pages in and only one fake reply... not bad going. Shame some more of the regulars haven't contributed but I guess that is a step down the road to removing anonymity, which is of course an essential component of keyboard warriorism*.

* - If this isn't a word, it should be.

Was it fake-I would love to believe every word!

Yes strange that some of the most vocal regulars have gone missings, yet lots of irregular posters with long affiliations to the Saints have contributed.

Could it be that some of the "soapbox kings" don't have as much history as I expected-surely not!

Age 41 - soton born and bred.

First home game - Channon's Testimonial in 76 - vague memories of not having a ticket and sitting on my dad's lap in the Upper East.

Got first season ticket the next year and had one every year since (apart from few years away studying in Manc). Now take my kids and think I've enjoyed the last three seasons more than any other period since the early/mid 80s (Matt Le Tiss moments aside).

First away was League Cup Final in 79, then Nottarf in 84 (in the seats behind the Pompey fans - didn't see much of the game - spent it dodging coins all game and made about £2). Most gutting moment was that season - Adrian Heath at Highbury in the semi - see it still hurts for quite a few of the other posters too.

Heroes - Channon, Williams, Le Tiss, Claus, Marian and now Lambert & Lallana. Future hero is Morgan if he keeps progressing like he is and stays with us.

PS. My Dad designed the Saints badge - I've dined out on that nugget a few times.

Was it fake-I would love to believe every word!

Yes strange that some of the most vocal regulars have gone missings, yet lots of irregular posters with long affiliations to the Saints have contributed.

Could it be that some of the "soapbox kings" don't have as much history as I expected-surely not!

Not really. The vast majority of posters on here are still "annonymous". It got boring after about the 10th "my first game was in the 1964, but now I live miles from Southampton" post. Would be a much better thread if was focused on those with more unique, interesting reasons for supporting Saints (of which I'm not one), rather than 100+ replies mostly saying the same thing.

42 born and raised in Hamble now live in Portchester, 1st game was at sixteen years of age (shame to say was an Ipswich fan in my formative years) beat QPR 5-1 if memory serves me well a Colin Clarke hat-trick.

Became an under east stand regular after that for a few years followed by move to Archers with first ever season ticket when we had whole end and now being middle aged STH in the Kingsland but still re live our youth with a few away games just to prove I can still sing very out of tune.

Well, rather than it diverting into a discussion about whether it's good or not, how about those who think it is, carry on reading and posting, and those who don't, ignore it?

Just a thought.

Wasn't me that diverted the thread was it. As for the rest of your post, same as any thread really.

49. Grew up in West End although don't consider myself grown up!

First home game in mid 74 against Blackpool.

First away game was Man U.

Season tickets until 2001 before moving to LA.

Normally get 4 or 5 games a season. Currently over this week and saw Ipswich and will be at SMS tomorrow.

34 years old, born and live in Northern Denmark. Watched Le God on Danish sports news in early 90's and played Saints on CM 93/94. This rather arbitrary choice grew on me and I started following Saints online.

First game was in march 2000 where we beat Aston Villa 2-0 (two goals by K.Davies?). Kachloul was immense (and I seem to remember that this was the game where he took an outrageous dive with the defender nowhere near him).

I got to yell "Benito Carbone you w*anker" and was surprised that this was seemingly not the proper language to use in an English football stadium ;)

Saw us in the relegation season at St.Mary's in 2008 against Birmingham and concluded that Lee Holmes would become a really good player for Saints, that Poortvliet's total football was great and that we were definitely not relegation material. Ehrm...

Currently I'm always ready at match days sitting with fingers twitching desperate to be the first one to post things like "goal kick" and "corner to Saints".

Edited by Lazlo78

39, born in Newport, Monmouthshire, supported Newport County in my youth until they went pop in 1989 (take note Skates). Started following the re-formed Newport AFC in the Hellenic League (below tier 8, take note Skates) before I went to Southampton Uni from 1991 and started watching Saints occasionally 91-94. Started watching under Branfoot so even though Saints were Div 1 my decision to come to Southampton wasn't exactly glory-hunting.

First Saints game I can remember was against Liverpool in 1991/2 as my dad was a plastic Scouser who'd taken me to Wembley and Anfield loads, got him in the Milton and I supported Saints, he was so surprised he gave up following Liverpool and stuck with Newport instead, he's a 15-year ST holder with them.

Despite not going to a Saints match until I was 18, I'd already seen Portsmouth lose live a few times by then in Div 4 and Div 3 at Somerton Park in the early 80s. I watched my first live match aged 1 week. It was a 0-0 between Newport and Darlington in Division 4. The first match I can actually remember being at is Newport beating West Ham in the 1978/9 FA Cup.

Moved back to Newport after Uni in '94 and started playing Saturdays, so I only went to the Dell rarely from 94-98. Started seeing a girl who lived in Gosport which got me down here a lot more in 98/99 and then when that ended went to lots more aways than homes in 99-2001 due to not getting in at the Dell often and still playing Saturdays.

2001/2 injured, so had an ST at St Mary's. 2002/3 playing football again, won the Gwent Amateur Cup and retired from football for the first time. Went to most matches in 2003/4, inc Fratton and Bucharest away, then played in the Saints Forever v Pompey Online matches, started coming down most weekends rather than just for the matches, staying with "new football mates" and then with a girl I met, and moved down in 2005/6, perfect timing, Saints relegated. :o

Kept my ST since 2005/6, moved house 5 times in the past 5 years, finally settled with an ST-holding wife and new mortgage - next season I might even get to have a Saints ST in the Prem again for the first time in 10 years.

Edited by The9

44 -Live in Winchester

First Game Home to Covenrty 77ish, won 4-1 I think, second game 1979 League Cup Final, I remember that one.Glory Hunter!

Started going regularly from 1981.

First away game was at Highbury around 1983,I was at the infamous Glen Cockerill /Paul Davies match, but dont think that was my first away game. Went back for '84 semi-final against Everton.Been a season ticket holder for around 20 years.Used to go to 10 plus away games a season upto the year 2000,now probably only go to 3-4, due to family committments, pleased to say both my children (11&8) are die hard Saints' fans and also Season Ticket Holders.

29, Fulham. First game was '86ish now sure who we played. Maybe Sheffield Wed, I have no idea who won.. Most memorable game has to be the Man U 6-3 game.

First away game was away game I think was Chelsea, 3-0 defeat when Gullit scored his first goal in England.

Age 41 - soton born and bred.

First home game - Channon's Testimonial in 76 - vague memories of not having a ticket and sitting on my dad's lap in the Upper East.

Got first season ticket the next year and had one every year since (apart from few years away studying in Manc). Now take my kids and think I've enjoyed the last three seasons more than any other period since the early/mid 80s (Matt Le Tiss moments aside).

First away was League Cup Final in 79, then Nottarf in 84 (in the seats behind the Pompey fans - didn't see much of the game - spent it dodging coins all game and made about £2). Most gutting moment was that season - Adrian Heath at Highbury in the semi - see it still hurts for quite a few of the other posters too.

Heroes - Channon, Williams, Le Tiss, Claus, Marian and now Lambert & Lallana. Future hero is Morgan if he keeps progressing like he is and stays with us.

PS. My Dad designed the Saints badge - I've dined out on that nugget a few times.

Was it not a competition the design of the badge?

Born 1965. Live Mudeford, Christchurch. First home game Mick Channons testimonial, just watched it again to remind myself why I love Saints.

Not sure of my first away, it was probably the LCF at Wembley against Forest.

29 living in Shirley since 2010, but was a fan from afar till then due to family afiliation with occasional trips to home and away games. First game would have been around 1990. First one I think I can remember was a 2-2 draw with Man City but not sure when that was.

Needless to say a much more regular attender nowadays.

29, lived in Kingsclere now live in Newbury. Was taken to my first home game by my step dad against west ham in 95, don't remember the score but it was an evening game as the original fixture had been called off due to a waterlogged pitch. First away was sheffield Wednesday, great pies.

Age 56 born in Southampton, now live in Warwickshire. missed a couple of home games this season.

1st home game, Dec31st 1966, lost 1-5 to Blackpool, got soaked and frozen!

1st away game 1971 Fa cup away liverpool, lost 0-1. Crowd was so packed in in the visitors section you moved just like in those old match of the day scenes!

27, Living in Gloucester

1st Home game: Chelsea (April 10th, 1993) - Saints won with a Nicky Banger penalty

1st Away game: Bolton (FA Cup 5th Round - 1992) We went 2 nil up and got pegged back, I was in Bolton end with my Dad (who was a huge Wanderers fan in his youth) He got some funny looks from the locals when his son was seen jumping around when Saints scored!

Don't get to go as often as I would like, only went to SMS once in Premier League, the 3-2 defeat to Villa in the relegation season. Over past couple of years been to Swindon x 2, Bristol Rovers x 2, Walsall, Exeter and Cardiff all away. Always love the away games more.

Getting this back on track

47- Southampton Born living in Old Basing

First Home game: Notts County 1978 3-1, My Hero Phil Boyer bagging a brace to make my day.

First Away Game: Reading league cup 1978 0 (very fortuitous) -0 thanks to a blind lino. Me on the infamous South Bank watching Saints fans climbing the Floodlight pylons and being told off!..................................... Then Shock horror! David Peach asking me for a light for his fag outside after the game!!

72 (yes I'm that old!) live in Bursledon

1st match 1957 v Walsall won 4-1 - been to nearly every home match since. Terry Paine was my hero and we're the same age!

3 sons and daughter all keen Saints fans

My dad is older but I don't think he would know what a web forum is! Hope i can be the wise man posting comments on here when i'm 70 odd!!Assuming this web page still exists in 2060's!! Awesome post :)

My dad is older but I don't think he would know what a web forum is! Hope i can be the wise man posting comments on here when i'm 70 odd!!Assuming this web page still exists in 2060's!! Awesome post :)

The Pompey Takeover thread would be on 21000 pages by then.

Shocked how few posts are by people in and around Southampton!

Wasn't going to post as my history isn't at all remarkable, but thought it might focus the thread.

24, Electrician, moved to Warsash from Bristol in 1995 and now living in Whiteley, although I've spent the last 2 years worki

g in Hull and Warwick during the week.

Parents are WHU 'fans' so had no help there, I got hooked on Saints because of schoolfriends. First game was 3-0 win over Sunderland, only remember that as it was the game before we beat United 6-3 in 1996.

First away was Leicester in the first season after relegation, been a season ticket holder every season since, bar last year due to being stuck working at the other end of the country.

It's currently taking over my life and loads of my money as we've got a really good group of lads who are there most weeks home and away, it just makes it expensive as we're on the p*ss all of the time

Oooh! Let me have a go too. Don't post much these days but ....

58. Born in Southampton and brought up in Woolston.

Have lived up and down the country since I left Southampton in the summer of 1976 (a very good year) but am now in the Tilehurst area of Reading.

First home game was a 3-1 win over Leicester City in 1963 (I think).

First away was at White Hart Lane in 1967 (I think) - a 6-1 defeat. Travelled up in a Coliseum coach from their office by the floating bridge.

Now no longer a season ticket holder because I really can't abide the thought of all those journeys up and down the A34 but I get down there as often as possible.

36. Grew up on the isle of wight, moved to the states in 2003.

Spent 5 years in Los Angeles, southern California - hence the SoCal name, it really isn't social spelt wrong... Now live in portland, Oregon.

First game was a very early 90's game against arsenal at the dell, 1-1 I think.

Favourite game was the extra time Barry Horne win against Bolton in the FA cup.

My last game was fecking ages ago, unfortunately. Made it to reading away in 2007 or 2008 on a trip home.

I have supported saints for most of my life but it has been a difficult journey, I was born into a remote aboriginal tribe in the deepest darkest Australian outback where the game of football is yet to reach. One day out hunting we stumbled across a farm where I saw two boys kicking a ball, they were wearing shiny red and white shirts and told me about a special team from England called Southampton FC. and from that moment onwards I knew my destiny was to follow the greatest team on the planet, I made my plan and became a stowaway on a ship with nothing more than my belongings and an apple to clean my teeth with, I scavenged for food and after many days and nights we arrived at our destination at the Port of Southampton. I made my way to the place of pilgrimage at the The Dell and broke into the club shop stealing the whole kit, tracksuit, and a managers coat as worn by Alan Ball, a cracker that was made by PONY. I used to stand on the Milton Road terrace, but occasionally treat myself to a seat in the Upper West , Milton wing, good seats they were, the fans really knew how to get behind the team banging their feet on the floorboards when oh when the saints went around the ground. my favourite player was Nicky Banger . I now work as a milkman (you might recognise my float, it has a sticker on the back that says “don’t follow me, follow the saints”) and spend most of my days sipping lager in the Shirley high street weatherspoons.