Who are You?

pressingon

Must be my turn now?

Can't really believe it but I'm now 64. Lived in various places around and about Hampshire but moved to Wareham in Dorset 6 years ago when I retired early. Been a Saints fan since I was four when I used to cut the photos out of the Football Echo! My dad took me to my first game when I was 11 - at the Dell of course: Norwich evening match 2-2. Tommy Traynor was the first Saints player I saw in the flesh and Derek Reeves scored the first goal I ever saw. First away game was the FA Cup replay with Notts Forest at White Hart Lane, early 1963? We won 5-0 (or was it 5-1?). We were delayed in heavy traffic and we were already three up when we arrived! Favourite Saints player of all time - there's (was) only one Micky Channon!"

59 years old, born & grew up in Guildford, now livestock farmer in Teifi valley, West Wales.

Dad grew up in Steventon and followed both Saints & Pompey when that was not a capital offence. He took me to my first game at the Dell 18th September 1965 vs Wolves, stood at front of chocco box, amazed by colours and noise. Tony Knapp back headed into own net after 30secs, 2-2 after 12 mins, 5-2 at half time, 9-3 after 60 mins and at end. Thought all football matches were like this and was hooked. Disabused by next match, 0-1 defeat by Huddersfield.

First away match 5th February 1966 at Fratton Park, 5-2 win for Saints. My only real memory is that I was standing below pitch level and that the blue shirted players may have been cloven hoofed.

Really enjoyed that promotion season, the explosion of relief at the late winner against Charlton in the run in, and the celebrations at Brisbane Road when promotion was almost guaranteed.

Went to many home games plus matches in London throughout late 60’s/early 70’s til sex & drugs & rock and roll took over.

Emigrated to God’s Own Country 1st May 1976, no radio in van, got to Severn Bridge to see Cup Final score on blackboard outside Tollbooth, a great start to a new life.

Because of location and lifestyle do not get to many matches these days but have enjoyed standing on terraces at Ashton Gate and Ninian Park with my daughter and her partner, Brings back memories of watching football as it should be.

Right, I off out to the lambing shed now to stick my hand up a ewes rear end,( for business not recreational purposes before you ask).

Will forever feel like im hanging around with my dad and his mates using this site here on! ;)

Although at 29 this year maybe I'm not as young as I feel...

Don't worry, you are only as old as the Woman you feel.

Back on thread. Starting to doubt the year of my first game it was 1-3 to the Mancs with Best Charlton & Law. My second game was 1-3 to Spuds with CHIVERS & Gilzean, but NO idea if it was the same season. I badgered some Builders who were doing some work at home to take me as my Dad was neve into Sport & stuff. They took a Milk Crate & we were under West Stand at the Archers End.

From about 13-15 I must have stood next to so many of you lot in the Choco Boxes

Best moment? Taking my (middle) son to The Dell for his 1st game, parking him on the crush barrier at the Milton Road end while he wore his new shirt with pride. No idea who that was against, but he has been hooked ever since.

My most proud moment of him? He took his (younger Brother) (who was brainwashed by ex wife & her ST holder Father to become a Scouse supporter) to see the Saints poopey Cup game and he managed to instil "an interest" in Saints in Youngest (who also enjoyed the Palace game over Xmas)

My second best moment was taking my Daughter to Wembley for her first ever football match - ZDS Cup Final when she was about 8 or 9 and she gave the lads in the Pub before the game sh1t for not singing enough.

olly is my name,

32 raised in derby and st albans, born in eastleigh.

only one of my mates or family who supports saints, so a bit of a lone star.

looking forward to coming down for the reading game with a bunch of royals on 13th april.

Hi, new member, 43 from New Forest area. First game i watched was the semi final in 76, uncle could not make it, so i went with my dad. First Dell game was against Bristol Rovers, think we won 3-2. Remember standing for hours waiting for Keegans debut against Man City? could be wrong there. Favourite games, i have two, an 8-2 win against Coventry and the 6-3 against Utd. Worst away day experience, Reading in the cup at Elm Park, we lost and it absolutely bucketed down.

52 from Maybush at the moment

first home game, 5-1 defeat to leicester in about 69 cant remember, although a young Peter Shilton scored that day

first away was i think a 2-0 win away to Oxford in 70's, may have been boxing day or a bank holiday, just seemed to be thousands of Saints fans about and massive punch up at the far end of ground

31 Years Old, grew up in Andover until the age of 18, then studied in Cheltenham and then travelled the world before settling in Bournemouth in 2004.

My Dad is a mad Saints fan and was on their books as a kid (keeping Bobby Stokes out of the Hampshire team is his claim to fame!) so I had no say on what team I was to support!

Starting attending in the 84/85 season, so a good time to be introduced to the club! :)

Sadly I was away in Australia during the great 2003 season, so after 15 years with a season ticket I missed that season and the Cup Final.

Highlights for me 'so far' would be...

- ZDS Cup Final

- JPT Final

- Away to Steaua Bucharest in 2004 UEFA Cup

- And simply.... Matthew Le Tissier

59 years old, born & grew up in Guildford, now livestock farmer in Teifi valley, West Wales.

Dad grew up in Steventon and followed both Saints & Pompey when that was not a capital offence. He took me to my first game at the Dell 18th September 1965 vs Wolves, stood at front of chocco box, amazed by colours and noise. Tony Knapp back headed into own net after 30secs, 2-2 after 12 mins, 5-2 at half time, 9-3 after 60 mins and at end. Thought all football matches were like this and was hooked. Disabused by next match, 0-1 defeat by Huddersfield.

First away match 5th February 1966 at Fratton Park, 5-2 win for Saints. My only real memory is that I was standing below pitch level and that the blue shirted players may have been cloven hoofed.

Really enjoyed that promotion season, the explosion of relief at the late winner against Charlton in the run in, and the celebrations at Brisbane Road when promotion was almost guaranteed.

Went to many home games plus matches in London throughout late 60’s/early 70’s til sex & drugs & rock and roll took over.

Emigrated to God’s Own Country 1st May 1976, no radio in van, got to Severn Bridge to see Cup Final score on blackboard outside Tollbooth, a great start to a new life.

Because of location and lifestyle do not get to many matches these days but have enjoyed standing on terraces at Ashton Gate and Ninian Park with my daughter and her partner, Brings back memories of watching football as it should be.

Right, I off out to the lambing shed now to stick my hand up a ewes rear end,( for business not recreational purposes before you ask).

You left out "I am a big fan of Captain Beefheart"! Me too.

I grew up in Weston till 21. Am now 51, and have lived in Santa Rosa (just north of San Francisco), California since Nov 1999. First game was Bristol Rovers away, before I was even a teenager. Then started going to the Dell regularly about 1975 in the East Stand at the Archers end. Season ticket holder for nearly 30 years. I still see Saints a few times every couple of years, and ALWAYS listen to the games on Saints Player, and watch on tv when they are on SKY (I pay a lot more for that privilage, but it is all woth it!).

Best moment, the FA Cup win.

Best game - I believe an 8-2 with Coventy at home.

Best team - was the one when Keegan joined and for the next three seasons after that (I honestly thought we were going to beat the mighty Liverpool for the league title).

Best player - Mick Channon, and a VERY, VERY close second was MLT.

Best goalkeeper - Shilton (by a mile).

Saddest moment - Going down to League One, and almost going out of business.

Proudest moment - Right now. Top of the league for almost the entire season, playing great football, great Chairman, Manager, players and fans. COYR!!!

55. Born in Southampton. Living in Highfield. First games in the East Stand at the Dell with my dear old Dad and a wooden box to stand on. I was about 7 and a regular attendee and fan ever since holding a season ticket for quite a while even through the difficult years. Still have my "Lowe Out" badge on my coat:) Not been as much as I would have liked over the last two years due to *ahem* financial difficulties.

Many many fantastic days and nights

55, and an Eastleigh lad. First game v West Ham 1966 when we thrashed them 6 - 2 not long after the World Cup final .West Ham had Moore, Peters and Hurst playng for them and we turned them over big style.

FA cup win 10 years later was memorable .. a team full of characters... as was the signing of Kevin Keegan and finishing 2nd to Liverpool in the league.

Tear to my eye moment .. at Wembley with my son at the end of the JPT final with " The Saints are Coming " playing over the tannoys and 50 000 fellow fans really believing we are on the road back to where we belong after some torurous years.

Christ, there's a load of youngsters on here. I thought I'd be one of the younger ones at 67, coming 68 but clearly I'm not. Full user name is 'Sinned in the Office' (don't ask).

Born & bred in Freemantle and lived and worked in Southampton all my life. (Still working part time).

First game 27th Dec 1949, but at 5 years old & sat on my Uncle's shoulders, I don't remember much about it. Looking at the records I see it was Saints 3rd game in 4 days, which looks to be quite common at Christmas back then.

Became hooked on Saints when reading papers on the 5th Round Cup games against Blackpool in early 1953. Figured that if we had beaten them in the first game (and we nearly did !) we would have won the Cup and not them. Instead we got relegated. At the start of the 53/54 season got my mum to pay for me every Saturday to go to the Dell (1st team one week, the Reserves the next) so my first season was in Division 3 (South) i.e. the lowest league at that time.

ST holder since 1971. Don't miss many home games but don't go away too often now.

First favourite player: Eric Day

All time favourite player: Ron Davies

Most memorable time: Watching Bally, Williams and Golac playing triangles down the right wing. There wasn't a defence that could live with them.

Least favourable time: The Branfoot era. Hoofball + . Even worse than the Dutchmen.

Odd memories:

1. Snogging my mates fiancee when Stokesie scored at Wembley. My mate was stood next to her, but she snogged me. Never did work it out.

2. Seeing Jimmy Shields literally break the net when scoring at the Dell. Game was delayed for 10 minutes, so that the Groundsman could find a ball of string & tie the net up again.

Just about to turn 37. Born in Winchester and grews up in Bitterne - went to Bitterne Park Comprehensive between 1987 and 1991.

I was never interested in football as a kid. Didn't get into it until I was about 13 and first went along cos my mate at school used to get free tickets from his dad who worked at the Dell. My first ever game was a League cup game against Luton in 1988/89 season. It was 0-0 after 90 minutes and we lost 2-1 in extra time. Can't remember who scored our goal.

My first really strong memory of watching Saints was later that season when we played Newcastle at home on the back of a shocking run of something like 23 games without a win. I remember it was a tight game with neither team creating much, but we got a penalty in the last minute which a newly-signed Neil Ruddock duly smashed in and we won 1-0 (Newcastle went down that season). To this day I don't think I've ever experienced anything like the celebrations in the Milton End when the final whistle went that day.

Edited by Sheaf Saint

21. Born and raised in Hull. Dad is from Southampton so he forced The Saints upon me at the age of 7. First Saints game was away to Barnsley 97/98, where we lost 4-3 and Le Tiss scored a brilliant free kick. Second game was the next season away to Charlton when we lost 5-0 and Jonah was sent off. Due to living up north my Dad and I are pretty much the only Saints fans we know so being at a Saints match and surrounded by fellow Saints is pretty special for us. We still have family down there so I have been to a number of home games but sadly never got to see a game at The Dell. Seen us many times away though, usually watching us lose so I'm convinced that when we're away we lose because I'm there!

Best moments

Getting to the FA Cup Final in 03

Being among 50,000 Saints fans at the JPT Final

Right now. Seeing us at the top and having a smile on my face all the time.

Although I was born in Southampton in 1946 we moved away when I was 4 and returned in 1962 when I watched my first game with my brother in August lost to Bury 3 1 still go with him 50 years later

Went to Uni in London 1964 and watched my first away game v Crystal when we lost live in Berkshire now

Went to both Leyton Orient games when we got promoted in 1966 and 1978 it was much more tense in those years compared with 2012 as now I cannot see us failing to go up and it is the middle of March

As gratifying as it is to see this thread turned into an appreciation of the good Captain, it may be distracting people from the original purpose. Maybe someone who is not so tight as me and has paid their dues could start a new thread where this discussion could continue.

Maybe something along the lines of ‘Would Jose & Jos cut it if we reach the premier league next season or should we bid for Rockette Morton & Drumbo to keep things tight at the back’ or ‘Does sticking your horn over the microphone and playing random notes at speed qualify you as a) Genius, b) a suitable replacement for half-time entertainment, c) a more than adequate substitute for Guly if the diamond formation isn’t working?.

As gratifying as it is to see this thread turned into an appreciation of the good Captain, it may be distracting people from the original purpose. Maybe someone who is not so tight as me and has paid their dues could start a new thread where this discussion could continue.

Maybe something along the lines of ‘Would Jose & Jos cut it if we reach the premier league next season or should we bid for Rockette Morton & Drumbo to keep things tight at the back’ or ‘Does sticking your horn over the microphone and playing random notes at speed qualify you as a) Genius, b) a suitable replacement for half-time entertainment, c) a more than adequate substitute for Guly if the diamond formation isn’t working?.

Blimey! You're a fan of Morgan ASC4T too - my favourite film!

41 Southampton born and bred grew up in Sholing now living in Townhill Park.

First home game 1979 v Crystal Palace won 4-1 Can only remember Phil Boyer scoring

First away game around the same time may have been the same season Dad took me to Highbury Drew 1-1 with Arsenal.

First away game with mates 1985 away to Norwich City at Carrow Road as 15 year olds on Clive Foleys coach lost 1-0 Bloody freezing January day.

• 1 year later...

I'm 20, from Winchester. Wasn't particularly interested in football as a very young kid but started going to St Marys in 01/02. Now a student in Sheffield, and a bigger fan than ever. Regretting not being a Saints fan while we were still at The Dell.

Edited by DuncanRG

29, can't remember my first game but it was when I was about 17 as my Dad hates football. I live in Waltham Chase and generally try to go about half a dozen games a year as I play football most Saturdays and Sundays in the winter and same with circket during the summer.

27 - Southampton

Cant remember my first game but in my younger days used to go alot followed by 6 years as a ST holder. Now I play football most weekends, level of ability defined by the level of hangover. I try to get to St Marys as much as football and Work dictates.

Big football fan, ex coach, England pessimist and Saints optimist.

Still missing some big hitters contributions

You must mean me...

38, from Winchester (barring brief interludes in Edinburgh and Southampton).

First home game: vs Birmingham, December 83. 2-1, all own goals I think.

First away game: vs Luton, FA Cup 3rd round, January 88. Lost 2-1. Was during the away fans ban and I was smuggled in by my uncle, under instruction to 'keep the noise down'.

50 now live in Poole but born in Lyndhurst and grew up in Hordle, first game was Home v Fulham 1976 I think , George Best got sent off, Season ticket since the lowly days of League One first away game hmmm struggling to remember but not until the 1990's

I started supporting Saints properly in 2001 when we moved to St Marys, up until then at the Dell i thought i could never get a ticket so didn't try. I had a season ticket until 2005 then the cost, protesting against Lowe, the weather and multiple surprise family birthday parties, anniversaries and barmitzahs meant i was unable to attend any saints match until August 2012 apart from the Johnstones Paint Trophy final. Fortuantely these are now all out of the way and i had a season ticket last season and will be renewing this season. I'm as loyal as they come and own every kit from 2001-05 as well as last seasons shirt. I also have a saints mug, a garden gnome, a sky subscrption so i can watch away games when we are on and always play as saints on football manager.

Edited by Turkish

I started supporting Saints in 2001 when we moved to St Marys, had a season ticket until 2005 then the cost, protesting against Lowe, the weather and multiple surprise family birthday parties, anniversaries and barmitzahs meant i was unable to attend any saints match until August 2012 apart from the Johnstones Paint Trophy final. Fortuantely these are now all out of the way and i had a season ticket last season and will be renewing this season. I'm as loyal as they come and own every kit from 2001-05 as well as last seasons shirt. I also have a saints mug and garden gnome a sky subscrption so i can watch away games when we are on and always play as saints on football manager.

I reckon one of those things is, actually, true...

First home game 87 or 88 I think, Newcastle, 1-1, Colin Clarke scored then put a pen into the Milton....I think Goddard scored for them....mirandinha and gaze played I think.

First away, probably arsenal when Ian wright scored a hat trick, we lost 5-1 and footage was used for a Nike advert which seemed to be on all the time.

24, Bitterne. For My first game I was very young, I remember us playing a french team in a pre-season friendly (auxerre or le havre?) at the dell, cant remeber the score either! Rember a few other games my dad took us too against QPR and Wimbledon there too. Got our programmes signed by vinny jones and watched dads army in the players lounge! Was a season ticket holder for a few years at SMS untill I got a saturday job. First away game (bar eastleigh friendlys) would have been palace in the championship promotion season!