Who are You?

pressingon

Sorry for the completely random, off topic question, but I noticed you live in Stockholm. What's the city like? I'm thinking of moving there. Is there much work about?

Would you recommend it? :)[/QUOTE]

Depends on you - as an individual. The tax system is horrific and the climate is " challenging " unless you are keen on skiing in the winters.

If you don't mind sub-zero temperatures for a 4 month long winter with snow up to your bippy..and being surrounded by lots of other immigrants - Its OK.

you'd do well to come with a good bank balance as EVERYTHING is dear, housing difficult to come by - unless you have a good job, or a Swedish girlfriend (or boyfriend).. according to preference...with whom you can co-habit.

Many English / U.S. guys who come here seldom stay with the same partner after they discover you aren't Swedish. (mine didn't btw) - we've been married 28 years.

still interested ..? The transport system; buses, underground and commuter trains are well integrated and run to the second. Stockholm is very up-market, EVERYTHING is computerised and (rich) people change their cars and phones every year....the quite short summer (june / july) can be gorgeous and I wouldn't swop it for any Med.beach or a Greek island. If you like boats there are great opportunities to get out in the Stockholm Archipeligo in summertime.

Jobs are hard to come by....even if you have some type of established career but don't speak Swedish - like a Swede. Get a UK job with a Swedish company and ask for a move to Stockholm ..(a long shot)

Don't come without a job ..unless you want to end up as a barman to make ends meet - unless of course you are a good barman and then you can get work in one of the many (so-called) English pubs in the city....but you still need the Swedish girlfriend - and expect a big dose of culture shock after you stop living like a tourist.

If I haven't succeeded in giving you some sort of second thoughts... PM me question, and I'll tell you more.

regards David

Cheers for the info. I can't say I'm sold on it, haha. I'm 20 and have minimum work experience, so it doesn't sound like it's for me. I was thinking of moving abroad, initially for six months or so, and doing bar work to keep me going whilst trying to get a proper job in the media. I know Stockholm's a beautiful city, and quite Anglocentric (or so I thought), so that's what attracted me to it, but it doesn't sound ideal for my low-budget plan. I didn't realise it was so upmarket. Probably better off looking at a cheaper city.

Born 1973 in Farnham, at age of two moved to Basingstoke and then to Winchester, and through various residencies, now living in, but yearning to leave Slough. Not a regular any more due to money amongst things, but go on occasion. First match was in "Super cup" in 1985 evening game against Liverpool, 1-1 draw with Armstrong scoring a penalty. First away was in 1992/3 against if I remember rightly Wimbledon at Selhurst park.

45 years old born in Gosport. Started seeing saints in the mid 70's.

Dad made me a box to stand on,and painted it red and white stripes,used to take it in the whAt I presume was a family standing end at the dell.

Became a chef and moved to London for 20 odd years then into management. Use to travel back for home games and go to all the games in London.

Back in gosport now,initially as an instructor for kids with autism and aspergers.

Returned to the hotel industry just recently.

Will be my little boys second trip to St Mary's tomorrow.

Great response to thread and nice to hear from so many that don't post often.

Still waiting to hear from some of the regulars on here:Sour Mash/Matthew Le God/Trousers/Delldays/Glasgow Saint/Dune/The9/Hypo/Hamster etc - who are you?

Some will not, some will spoil it, they must be hiding something ??

39, Perth Western Australia

First home game - final game at the Dell (v Brighton) in May 2001. First visit to St. Marys currently at the top of on my bucket list! Supporter since 1983/84

Just happen to be in Perth on business as I write - supping a Little Creatures Bright Ale from the micro brewery in Fremantle!!

(But getting the emirates flight out at 6am in the morning!)

60 this year - brought up in Holbury, now living in Surrey (handily placed twixt st mary's.London and airports and been watching saints home and away since the early 60's.

Anyone on here play for Holbury 64 or Holbury yth (new forest sunday league) in the late 60's will know me, also turned out for Blackfield,Esso,Brockenhurst, Pirelli G, and in the early 70's went to uni in Bristol and Dave Burnside (childhood hero) signed me for Bath City - which sadly came to nothing.

Couldn't getback for Barnsley but have ticket for Millwall next week!!

Edited by dellboypete
too much beer!

Some will not, some will spoil it, they must be hiding something ??

If they're anything like me, they're too busy working (not now, I'm done for the day) or posting on different threads before attempting to read and reply to this little epic.

It's also possible that the vast majority are locals with nothing particularly different to add, so haven't bothered.

31, Live in Chester.

Grew up near Brighton until I was 10, came from a non footballing family so only had a passing interest in Brighton (shamefully now, they've always been my 2nd team ironically). Moved oop North and was told on the playground that I had to support either Man Utd or Liverpool. Thought fook that and picked Saints as I was vaguely from there and was massive MLT fan. Was purely an armchair fan for a few years with the occasional away game (first was Bolton away in about 98/99 I think) but then moved into a flat and found out my neighbour was also a Saint. We go to as many away games up this neck of the woods and try to get to the odd home game.

So I'm not an Uber-fan by some people's logic on here but I still bleed read & white!

I too live in Chester and born and bred here. I know another who posts on here and lives in Chester too. Add my dad to the mix and an ex misses (courtesy of me) and we have a good little saints community going on. Anyway, i'm 40, didn't go to any match at The Dell but first away match was Utd in about '86/'87 when we won 2-0 with a brace from Colin Clarke. Plenty more North West games followed. I get down to St. Mary's as often as possible.

If they're anything like me, they're too busy working

To be fair the ones we are thinking of are not usually shy in multi posting on nearly every thread regardless of work or any other commitments.

I'm wondering if they are all just one person and having a job deciding which name to use.

Cheers for the info. I can't say I'm sold on it, haha. I'm 20 and have minimum work experience, so it doesn't sound like it's for me. I was thinking of moving abroad, initially for six months . I know Stockholm's a beautiful city. I didn't realise it was so upmarket. Probably better off looking at a cheaper city.

Hi. Gothenburg is better.

Yes the climate is sh1te but the place is beautiful and much more relaxed (safer at night) and peaceful than the UK.

Will not move back!

Yes the climate is sh1te but the place is beautiful and much more relaxed (safer at night) and peaceful than the UK.

Will not move back!

I'm near malmö which is the most violent city in sweden, 3 shot dead in the street in the last 3 weeks, lovely city otherwise though Gothenburg is probably my favourite.

45 , living in Gothenburg , Sweden.

Born littleton , Winchester.

Studied Brighton Poly during the 80's.

Moved to the swedish West coast late 80's.

Dad took me as a little nipper to the Dell for my first match...no idea but do remember sitting in the East stand and the roar after à goal.

First away was Keegans return to Anfield. We got beat 2-0 but our support was emense, in the good old days of away

terraces in the 80's. Great day out.

OK I will bite.

Born in Southampton in 1952 and stayed.

First game at the Dell was in 1966 Testimonial to John Hollowbread when we thumped Pompey 6-1. Hooked and was a regular attender until the end of season 1970/71 when work intervened. Occasional from then when someone had a spare ticket.

First away 1968 Chelsea - we won 3-2

First game at SMS was in our relegation season from Premier v Aston Villa - 2-0 up we were at half time and lost!! Got a season ticket from then on thanks first to Frank's Cousin wife who sold me hers and then in my own right.

Just happen to be in Perth on business as I write - supping a Little Creatures Bright Ale from the micro brewery in Fremantle!!

(But getting the emirates flight out at 6am in the morning!)

60 this year - brought up in Holbury, now living in Surrey (handily placed twixt st mary's.London and airports and been watching saints home and away since the early 60's.

Anyone on here play for Holbury 64 or Holbury yth (new forest sunday league) in the late 60's will know me, also turned out for Blackfield,Esso,Brockenhurst, Pirelli G, and in the early 70's went to uni in Bristol and Dave Burnside (childhood hero) signed me for Bath City - which sadly came to nothing.

Couldn't getback for Barnsley but have ticket for Millwall next week!![/quote?

So whereabouts in Surrey, Junction 9 you must be close to me...

How are so many 40-60 year old farts, who I suspect spend most of their non-Saints times engrossed in the most mundane of pastimes like gardening, parenting, working, drinking red wine or real ale, so bloody animated and excitable when it comes to opinions about football??!!

I thought this, cannot believe the amount of older fans on here, that I actually thought were much younger. Guess this is what online grooming is like.

OK back to the point.

Like many on here I'm 60. And lived in London for many years.

Grew up in Winchester in the least sports-interested family I'd ever come across. Went to the Dell first in 1967 with friends - we beat either Sunderland or Newcastle, can't remember which but I vividly remember a Ron Davies headed goal. Was hooked.

Didn't get to an away game till Cardiff 2-2 draw in 1974.

aged 44 - must be the unluckiest glory hunter around as started supporting saints for 76 cup final - Born in Portsmouth and spent the next 44 years defending myself from ridicule for my birthplace - however only spent about 2 hrs there lived in Warsash - now live in sleepy shoreham by sea nr Brighton

cant remember first game but remember there was a big scrap in the archers road

Will not move back!

Cool, I'll look into it, although as a twenty year old I'm not really looking for peaceful and relaxed, haha. I'd like somewhere busy and vibrant with lots going on.

I'm near malmö which is the most violent city in sweden, 3 shot dead in the street in the last 3 weeks, lovely city otherwise though Gothenburg is probably my favourite.

Wow, lot's of Sweden based Saints fans on here.

Okay Im oldish but very young looking , just turned 61 yes I know another old fogey

I first started really supporting saints in 1964/65 from afar as I was at School in Singapore

and would listen to the world service commentarys

Being originally from Southampton I listened out for saints games well normally the results as we were never the featured game very often .. The first game of soccer I saw was when I was taken to Tynecastle to see Hearts when my dad was stationed up in Edinburgh. My first saints game was circa March 1966 when we came back from singapore. It was against Rotherham We drew 1-1. ever since then I have been a totally committed saints fan . Okay I hear some of you saying I should have been committed.

My first away game was at Chester in some cup competiton and catching the same train home as the players. I still have their autographs. I also have a christmas card ted bates and laurie Mac and co sent me when I was out in the trucialomen states.

Proud moments, There are many have been all the wembley finals , The Millenium stadium final and more recently Johnstones paint trophy.

Another proud moment was when the club asked me to do a fans feature for SKY tv on how important it was to move from the Dell to SMS. Iwas asked by Rupert and Andrew Cowan. It was about a 20 minute feature , Took hours to film as I kept getting tongue tied. Also being involved with the local folk in and around SMS visiting Mosques and temples etc to see the benefits of moving to SMS

Taking 30 plus members of the ethnic community to games at the Dell prior to the move to SMS so they could experience the matchday atmosphere for the first time . Did that forsis weeks . Inspirational experience especially when we were 2 down to blackburnand ended up winning 3-2

Also co Setting up the Avon Valley saints Supporters Club.

Now live in Orkney but try to get to as many games as I can. Three years ago I was still a season ticket holder, bu the air fairs became to expensive to makeit worth while having a season ticket

Oh and My real name is Mike

aged 44 - must be the unluckiest glory hunter around as started supporting saints for 76 cup final - Born in Portsmouth and spent the next 44 years defending myself from ridicule for my birthplace - however only spent about 2 hrs there lived in Warsash - now live in sleepy shoreham by sea nr Brighton

cant remember first game but remember there was a big scrap in the archers road

LOL that narrows it down a bit, but not much!!!

On our Swedish Saints forum we have about 30 member and our facebook site has about 75 - so there is some fans in Sweden : )

Cool, I'll look into it, although as a twenty year old I'm not really looking for peaceful and relaxed, haha. I'd like somewhere busy and vibrant with lots going on.

Wow, lot's of Sweden based Saints fans on here.

How are so many 40-60 year old farts, who I suspect spend most of their non-Saints times engrossed in the most mundane of pastimes like gardening, parenting, working, drinking red wine or real ale, so bloody animated and excitable when it comes to opinions about football??!!

i suppose it is down to the fact that to support a side like Saints in the 60's and 70's was tough, many younger fans are spoilt in relation to all seater stadiums.going to a game in the 70's was, looking back, often a nightmare. You would either have to que for hours to get into the Dell in the late 60's and then as i got older turn up and find the area where you normally stood occupied by the away fans.

Bonus was it was cheap, so was Beer and bus/train fares

Ok - Aged 48 ...yet another in that bracket!- born in Southanmpton- currently a Deputy Head in primary school

Started seeing Saints in 1972 - lost to Brum 2:0...but saw the rise of Saints and some FAB matches in late 70s and early 80s-Ball, Channon, Keegan, and co

First away game- Coventry with girlfriend-sat in with Cov fans!!! Only one to go oooooh when Steve Williams hit post-got some very dirty looks...lucky I was with girlfriend!

Best Match seen live...loads- but Saints beating Ipswich 4:3 when 3:1 down at Half Time in 80s was a great atmosphere

Still remember filling up with petrol and hearing commentators going back to Dell repeatedly in 90s when Saints recovered from 1 :0 to beat Newcastle 3:1 in last five minutes.

Moved up to Worcester then near Leominster (not far from Wales) and with family can rarely afford to go- but ALWAYS reading this forum

Took son and daughter to first match 2 years ago and went to Wembley for Cup final v Carlisle

Forever a Saint!

Add one more to the forty-somethings.

41, brought up in Hedge End, now working in Bournemouth, living in Highcliffe

First home game, Luton 90/91. Having hit them for 6 the year before, expectations were high. Lost 2-1 to an Elstrup brace. Welcome to supporting Saints.

First away was in 92/93, 2-1 win at Forest. Absolute robbery, as I remember.

Used to make around 10/12 games a season, but over last 3 years just a few home games a season as now have kids, which means less time and money. Have to pick and choose my games, which makes me a JCL, I guess.

60, Live in Las Vegas

Born and raised in Amsterdam

Lived in Chandlers Ford on 79 through 85. Was a season ticket holder, and became addicted to Saints.

My license plate on the car here in Vegas reads SOTONFC, and occasionally, even over here, I get some moron in a blue shirt flipping me off. LOL

Age? I'm not telling you lot!! Arrived here in 1956 from Dublin (Dad running from the Irish Tax man). Now live in the 'posh' part of Lordswood and the 'poor' part of Bassett. Went to my first game same year (age 10) against Bmth. Think we won 5-1 (?) Remember Derek Reeves scored and was hooked for life. I'm glad I have the opportunity to confess that I got in by pushing the corner of the large gate in Milton Road open and squeezing in.

Second confession, my son is a Liverpool fan but I got his son into Saints and we go to every home game and one or two away. I'm enjoying watching Saints and I put that credit down to NA. Take a bow, Mr A!

NORM!! Good to hear from you again. I still have very fond memories of that visit to Southampton! Say hi to Pat Fleet if you ever see him (or better still send me his email address if you have it. I can't seem to reach him. I'm at offix@cox.net)

NORM!! Good to hear from you again. I still have very fond memories of that visit to Southampton! Say hi to Pat Fleet if you ever see him (or better still send me his email address if you have it. I can't seem to reach him. I'm at offix@cox.net)

Hi 'R', I just knew you would join in here! Hope all is good with you in LV? No contact with Pat but will try to contact him and pass on your email address. Regards.

Hi 'R', I just knew you would join in here! Hope all is good with you in LV? No contact with Pat but will try to contact him and pass on your email address. Regards.

Thanks Norm. Any chance of seeing you here in sunny Vegas anytime?

42 currently, Auchtermuchty, Fife

First game aged 6 1975 v Forest Home as birthday treat - cup win later that season in 76 saw me getting into trouble as cutting the legs of my blue trousers to make blue shorts to go with a yellow Tshirt for a garden kick about did not go down well with Mother C...

Lived near Oxford and in sussex between 1995 and 2008 and held ST from 1998 - 2008, sadly only 1 or 2 games a season now and mostly away up Nort hopefully will get to Blackpool on the 31st