Who are You?

pressingon

Age 35, born in Wokingham 9 days prior to the FA Cup win (was destined for me to be a Saint). Born into a p****y supporting family (although my aunt used to live in Shirley my uncle used to go to every game, including the reserves before he moved away). I managed to break the shackles of the family and will never forget the look on my old man's face when, at 7 years old, he told me to support a team for a reason (was keen on ManUre before then), for me to swiftly think about my Aunt in Shirley and say "OK, I'll support Southampton" :lol:

Grew up in south Bucks, went to Uni in Skatesville and now living amongst the vines in sunny South Australia (just south of Adelaide).

First game (away) was Stoke in Oct 1984 (won 1-3) - must have been painful for the old man, being a skate and all - the things we do for our kids :lol:

First game at the Dell was Man City May 1993 (lost 0-1) - the day my aunt in Shirley passed away so was a pretty f***ing depressing day! It took me until I could drive before I saw a game at the Dell as my dad refused to take me and we lived 70-80 miles away.

47 and a half. 1st away game Ipswich away 1969. Dad took me as visiting Mum's family in Colchester. (put that trip off months to coincide with Saints playing at Ipswich)

Got him working on my first home game, early 70's, first vivid memories was a home match against Blackpool! Really got hooked on football after the Charlie George Cup Final. So loved it when he signed for us later. House called "The Dell" seen Saints in Europe, win the FA Cup, win promotion and have a major bearing on my life! Dad , Grandad, Uncles and cousins all Saints fans. Terrible habit of singing OWTSGMI anywhere very loud when drunk!

Also of an age that means I have to trim the hairs from my ears to avoid scaring the grandchildren, tho not the oldest.

Eastbourne - not because it's God's Waiting Room, work unfortunately led me to the Far East. At least after a trip into town I feel young, smart and intelligent!

Lived in Abingdon when it was in Berkshire, Bath when it was in Somerset and Bournemouth when it was in Hampshire; also Wells, Taunton, Bristol, Wickham amongst other places but Southampton has been a kind of constant theme since its big city(!) strangeness, its weird steam engines and massive ocean liners awestruck a spindly kid from the sticks of Somersetshire who spent holidays there with an Aunt.

No telly, no local professional club and village school comprising just 2 classes both with lady teachers meant football didn't feature in my early days. First Saints game I remember was FA Cup semi against Man U in 1963. Cyril, a fellow inmate of Ma Atkins' digs in Bristol, persuaded me to go the night before the game; said we could get tickets at the match - and we did! Face value (7/6, or 37p to you youngsters) from a tout on the steps of Villa Park; still got the ticket and programme.

I have a feeling I may have gone to a home game in the 50s with my uncle; I certainly went to speedway at Bannister Court but, again, I have a programme to confirm that memory.

Lived in Wickham in the 70's but didn't see as many games as I would have liked as had 2 sons playing in E&D Minor and Tyro leagues. At least that ensured they too are Saints despite only a short period of their lives even close to the city.

42, Lived in Tokyo for 22 years. First became a fan eight years ago when my folks moved from Beaconsfield to Lymington and I happened to be on honeymoon in Linekers Bars, Tenerife (!) and Saints were making a huge effort game against Man U or some top side (too many beers) at a level far above the J-league I'd seen here, and I realized they were my new 'local' team. Only catch one or two games a year at St Mary's and we always seem to do well. If we get in the prem and Tadanari Lee keeps scoring in the first team, Japan will go nuts over him, and I might translate a few news articles and post them here...

72, Man Of Kent in exile! Retired railwayman.

Came to the area in 1966. 3 sons and 6 grandchildren who are all avid Saints!!!!!

(1 son is a steward at St Marys) so i feel that I have done my duty.:lol:

Never been able to be an ST holder due to always working shifts. Retired in 2002 to become full time carer for my wife. I have always attended as many home fixtures as I can but it is difficult.

Can't remember the first match but it was the days of Tony Knapp and Jimmy Melia et al.

Best away day JPT final.

42, Lived in Tokyo for 22 years. First became a fan eight years ago when my folks moved from Beaconsfield to Lymington and I happened to be on honeymoon in Linekers Bars, Tenerife (!) and Saints were making a huge effort game against Man U or some top side (too many beers) at a level far above the J-league I'd seen here, and I realized they were my new 'local' team. Only catch one or two games a year at St Mary's and we always seem to do well. If we get in the prem and Tadanari Lee keeps scoring in the first team, Japan will go nuts over him, and I might translate a few news articles and post them here...

Welcome to the mad house Jon !! - hope Tadanari Lee is a Big Hit here - as you say pretty sure we'd get big interest in Japan, judging by the amount of Japanese press who have been following him since his arrival. Replica shirts, stadium tours, who knows even advertising / sponsorship deals could make the club a fair bit of money.

I won't post a link to Alphavilles Big in Japan - but who knows huh!!

29: first match was an FA Cup tie against Oxford which a bit of Googling tells me was on 27 January 1990 (I would have been 7). Razor Ruddock scored the goal with a header from a corner. I think we were pretty poor that day though!

I think I started going very regularly a couple of years later and had an ST in the lower East Stand for much of my youth - starting in the Junior Saints section (cold metal benches, nice) and then moving right next to the away fans once I got a bit older. I remember getting absolutely soaked in my England Italia '90 shell-suit one day. I stopped going regularly to matches once I moved away to uni at the age of 18 but obviously still went to as many as I could. I've since started going again to virtually every home match and have had an ST for the last two seasons.

Been to quite a few aways - a relegation or two certainly boosts your list of grounds visited!

What struck me most during the recent years when the club was in turmoil was how lucky I was to start supporting Saints when I did. Yes, we had some poor years in the top flight but actually there weren't too many occasions when we were in the mire come the last few weeks of the season. And yes, I missed Keegan, Ball, the Cup win etc.. but I saw the ZDS Final (old Wembley), the FA Cup Final (Cardiff), the JPT Final (new Wembers) went to matches at The Dell and SMS, saw Le Tissier, Shearer, Flowers, Ekelund, Dodd, Palmer, Pahars, Svennson, Niemi, Beattie, Walcott, Bale, David Lee etc.... I saw us beat Man U, Liverpool, Spurs etc fairly regularly (but never, it seemed, Arsenal - I must have seen Ian Wright score about 20 goals against us!). I felt so sorry for those nippers who were being taken along to SMS for the first time and had to witness some of the ****e served up under Wigley, Redknapp and Poortvleit.

No doubt nostalgia clouds the memory somewhat, and those people whose only Saints home experience is based at SMS will probably share equally evocative memories of that place, but some of the games I went to at The Dell will live with me me forever (the Matty match against Newcastle under Ball, beating Newcastle 3-1 when losing 1-0 after about 85 minutes, Matty's hat-trick against Liverpool, the 6-3, the 3-1, Matty's free-kick against Wimbledon, my first derby when we spanked the Phew in the cup, Doddsy taking a red card for the team against West Ham, the victory over Everton when Pahars scored, a come-back against Blackburn, hearing Man City had made a hash of it under Ball to keep us up). There is also less steam at SMS when you take a **** at a winter match than there was at The Dell.

Football has changed - I've seen Saints play top tier matches at Kenilworth Road and Plough Lane FFS (Benali's "tackle" on Fashanu - comedy). Mental! I consider myself fortunate to straddle the epochs.

What a great thread!.

I'm old and female (but as young as the man I feel). Sholing born and bred but steadily moved north and now living in Oxfordshire.

I can't remember the first game I went to but I was about 7 and my dad made me a box to stand on in the Milton Road end. I do remember being there when we played Sheffield United, mainly because there was a soldier standing next to me shouting 'Come on you Blades'.

I only get to matches when my son goes, my other half being a Skate :o but avidly follow my boys' efforts every time. My grandson (9) has been a plastic Liverpool, Brentford (!) and ManUre fan but we're slowly educating him. My little grandson (3) is an Everton fan but doesn't realise it.

My claims to fame? My dad built Mick Channon's house in Fair Oak and I looked round Terry Paine's house in Bitterne as a potential buyer and he showed me his England caps. (Didn't buy his house though).

I was born at a very young age in 1957 in a prefab at Redhill Crescent, Basset. Was raised in Harefield. 1st game at the Dell was circa 1970 Saints 1 Newcastle 1. I'll never forget how green the grass looked the very first time I saw it, and the smell of wintergreen as the players crunched into the wall around the pitch. :)

Welcome to the mad house Jon !! - hope Tadanari Lee is a Big Hit here - as you say pretty sure we'd get big interest in Japan, judging by the amount of Japanese press who have been following him since his arrival. Replica shirts, stadium tours, who knows even advertising / sponsorship deals could make the club a fair bit of money.

I won't post a link to Alphavilles Big in Japan - but who knows huh!!

Yeah, did they really play 'Turning Japanese' at the stadium when he debuted? Brilliant! Would love to watch games in a bar with Saints fans here the way you guys seem to be able to sometimes... Just need to help get the fanbase started here... Lots of Japanese are England fans as well as prem team fans so you never know...

48 (old enough to know better). Live in Northam Western Australia.

Used to live in Fareham

First game 72 or 73, before we came to oz. Saw two games the same season think it was ManU and West Ham, I am sure the old man took me to see the opposition. Only other

time I saw Saints play live was Jan 81 third round of the cup v Bristol Rovers I think.

Never been to an away game

Have managed to convert the oldest son but the youngest escaped.

48 (old enough to know better). Live in Northam Western Australia.

Used to live in Fareham

First game 72 or 73, before we came to oz. Saw two games the same season think it was ManU and West Ham, I am sure the old man took me to see the opposition. Only other

time I saw Saints play live was Jan 81 third round of the cup v Bristol Rovers I think.

Never been to an away game

Have managed to convert the oldest son but the youngest escaped.

Fantastic that you managed to see the wheat from the chaff!!

And once again yet another new poster - keep posting - views from overseas are always an interesting perspective - although i am biased of course!!

44 Years old. Live in Tokyo, Japan. Was born and grew up in Southampton. First home game was Oldham at home in 1977 the year we last got promoted to top division. First away game I think was Nottingham Forest in the cup. We won but cannot remember the score, was 1984 and I seem to remember Steve Moran the score, vaguely remember it was 2-1. Last time I saw a game live was Orient away last year. Next game is going to be Reading at St Mary's next month. "Cant wait, wont wait"

It's funny how things work out, the old man also took me to see the lot down the road, I think they played Carlisle. It was a dull game on a cold grey day very different to the excitement of the Dell as it was then.

New poster yes but a long time lurker. This forum and those before it have been a great way of keeping in touch from a long way away.

37, born in Southampton, moved to Kent just before I was 13, still there now. First game was against Chelsea at the Dell. Would have been mid 80's and I went with Mansel School. First away game against Charlton, only a 20 min drive away from where I live now. Try to see at least one game a season, but haven't been yet this year.

It's Millwall next Saturday!

Maybe the Nortam Yoof having got as far as reading and writing yet? ;)

It doesn't surprise me that there are so many 40's and upwards who still follow the team from where ever they may be now. Growing up with SFC from the mid 60's to mid 80's through your formative years will have left you with so many great memories and a yearning for those great times to return, and the present set up is more positive than any I can think of since the Lawrie Glory Days, and bizarrely enough some of my all time favourite games were when we were in Div 2 (old money!!). You went to games expecting to win especially at home and seeing plenty of goals, a feeling which in many of our Top league seasons was more in hope than belief!!

totally agree

26 years old. Born in Bassett and lived there till the age of 4 when my dads work dragged us to mainland Europe.

Have spent time over the years in Spain, The Netherlands, Australia and a short stint in Southampton. Been back in

The Netherlands for the last few months but hope to move back to Southampton in the near future, depending on

job availability.

Started supporting Saints 12 years ago through my mum as she would always watch the final score to so how Saints were

doing.

First game was the final game of the 2006/2007 season against Southend, 4-1. Have sadly never been to a away

game but when I move back to the area the first thing is to get a season ticket.

I lived there between 1967-77, just down from the Running Horse.

Hi Ron. Then we grew up in Littleton together, and probably know each other. My surname is Timms.

Played for littleton&harestock juniors. Had first pint in the Running Horse. Lived a while on North Dr.

Dune...went to Crawley school 69-76. The school was no more than a house. We were all farmers and learnt absolutely nout, except how to paint Mike Atyeos hair.

Went to Henry Beaufort after that.

My name is Corporate Ho. I am 40 and play around with dolls. I also play with children's toys whan at work.

I live in Portsmouth in a huge house. You lot would be pig sick if you were to see the size of the mansion that I live in on Portsmouth caravan park. Tescos have already offered me £ 20 million for it. Mind you, they sent me their deposit by post and when I opened the envelope there was no money inside.

I am not a Saint but a Pompey skate. Me and Maradona are ambassadors for Portsmouth Football Club. Riquelme is about to sign for us so I am sure that we will be OK. i have a friend who is high up at Pompey and I see him socially every couple of weeks and he tells me all the latest gossip.

Everything is fine at Fratton Park. The press has just got it in for us. With a bit of luck we should still be able to make the play offs this year. My sister says that I am a fantasist. I am proud that she thinks that I am that good at fantasy football.

Pompey till I die.

Edited by Tamesaint

Im 48,born in Southampton,grew up in Netley and first went to see the mighty Saints in 1972 when my dad took me to the Dell to see Saints v Leeds.Fell out of love with football for a while and found rock n roll,until i rediscovered football again in the late 90s.

Had a ST in the Northam throughout all of the bad times and finally now am starting to enjoy watching the Saints play, hopefully going back to the Prem.

Heres to the good times ahead.

Will forever feel like im hanging around with my dad and his mates using this site here on! ;)

Although at 29 this year maybe I'm not as young as I feel...

29 going on 40 if your new years eve midlife crisis is any thing to go by.

OK. Mathmaticians get your slide rules out. My first game was at the Dell in January 1957. (I was 23 rising 24) I can't remember who we were playing as like so many of us on that cold wet Saturday "We'd had a few on the way from Hythe" I was a matelot serving in HMS Diligence and one of my best oppo's was a Saints Fanatic. I went along with him, and a couple of other lads, and after the Match to the Hulse Road social Club to pester the girls. My two lads and two lasses are Saints as are my Grandkids. My nipper drives me, and two of the Grandsons, to SMS for home games and we are all STH's in the Chapel.After the RN lived in Butts Ash then after Graduating to Bedford.then to Telford where we've been for the last 27 years.

OK. Mathmaticians get your slide rules out. My first game was at the Dell in January 1957. (I was 23 rising 24) I can't remember who we were playing as like so many of us on that cold wet Saturday "We'd had a few on the way from Hythe" I was a matelot serving in HMS Diligence and one of my best oppo's was a Saints Fanatic. I went along with him, and a couple of other lads, and after the Match to the Hulse Road social Club to pester the girls. My two lads and two lasses are Saints as are my Grandkids. My nipper drives me, and two of the Grandsons, to SMS for home games and we are all STH's in the Chapel.After the RN lived in Butts Ash then after Graduating to Bedford.then to Telford where we've been for the last 27 years.

Surprised you stuck with Saints - it would have been a 2-1 defeat to either Southend or QPR!

Been in Winchester since primary school. Now my two are at college and secondary school here.

Earliest memories at The Dell were standing on an upturned milk bottle crate down the front, just tall enough to see over the wall (if I stood on tiptoes) watching Ron Davies, Joe Kirkup, John Sydenham, Terry Paine et al. Whatever time we arrived before 3pm, the crowd would "let the nipper through" to I could get to the front. Happy days.

Only problem was that no-one actually WENT to the toilet in those days (well. you'd lose your spot on the terrace) so watch out for the sea of wee making its way over the steps. :uhoh: Them were the days.

No alcohol at the ground in those days, so Dad would get to The Cowherds by 1.30, have a few beers, then we would walk down to The Dell. Then after the game, a few more beers until the traffic on The Avenue cleared.

My Dad died a couple of years ago, we pleased to say that we had a few seasons of 3 generations at SMS (myself, Dad and my son). So my Dad took me, now I take my son, and I hope one day soon - maybe in 10 years time, my son will be taking HIS son to watch Saints play ManYoo in the Premier League, and taking me with him!!!

So I've watched Saints for 45 years already, and hope to get in another 20 before I'm tucked up in a care home. :uhoh:

Edited by the saint in winchester

I don't know why so many are surprised at the age of the people in this thread. I guess that's the ignorance of the youth that no one over 50 knows how to get on the internet!

To address the whole thing about "still" supporting the Saints...it's a way of life - the youth of today didn't invent being a football fans despite the "you old farts sit on your hands and don't sing" brigade!

Football is a dedication - it'a all about an interest, a hobby...but Southampton FC is a way of life for many young and old!

aged 60 first game wolves about 66 first away blackpool same year i think i live in salisbury but lived in totton 76/82 went 2 every game from 70/81 including all eurpean gates i ran coaches 2 away games 2 with roland price before i got married handed over 2 foley then . i only go 2 about 10 games a season now armchair fan mainly

Hi, I'm SNSUN's fiancee, Azzy, age 28. I will be Mrs SNSUN in June, which worries me because he does **** all around the house and would rather be in Southampton supporting your lot than with me making sweet music with me in the bedroom. I'm a Norwich fan and proud, although I was born in Essex so I don't have webbed feet, nor do I **** my brother. I attend more Southampton games than Norwich games, mainly because SNSUN's obssession with Southampton is deeper than mine for Norwich, and also because you're a better team to watch. I also hate SNSUN's family's parrots, he tells me he wants to punch them when Saints lose, and I support him in that endeavour. My first Saints game was away to Crystal Palace in your relegation season from the Championship. Saints lost 3-0 and I was fricking freezing, but SNSUN bought me a kebab after the game so I felt better. He really knows how to treat a lady and he has a big winky to boot. My favourite Southampton player is Richard Chaplow, and I had a crush on Michail Antonio when he played for you. (Not as big a crush as my love for ex-Norwich player David Bentley though.)

I have an agreement with him that when we have children, they will be brought up to support both clubs equally, they can choose who they want to support of their own accord when they're older.

Bassett Green Jrs then KES before moving to States in 1970

Intended coming back after Uni but have lived in and around San Diego for over 40 years now (!)

Still get back for a few games/occassions here and there

First game, early 1960s with Dad, Archers Rd before going regularly with a mate from school...we also used to jump the wall to get into East Stand before graduating to Milton Rd

Away, mid 60s verses Charlton

65 next week.

First away game was 1955; lost 2 - 3 to Aldershot.

First home game was 1956; lost 2 - 5 to Norwich.

Just as well there was no message board around back then for people to moan on!

My mother was a fanatic (saw her first game in 1923 and her last one was the opening league match at SMS) - I really didn't stand a chance. I also went to St Mary's College which was a brilliant school back then for playing football - it's all we did.

Age 25, Grew up in Rownhams now live in Pardubice, Czech Republic. Currently a recruitment consultant for an english firm out here. First game was a 1-0 loss (AET) at the dell to coventry in the league cup. First away game was crew alexandra in 2006, we had a new centre forward who scored his first goal for us that day (dont remember his name??). Best home game was staying up against sheff utd in 2008. Best away game was winning 5-1 against bristol rovers when we were looking likley for a playoff spot, morgan schniederlin got his first goal for us too =]

born southampton, now living Warlingham in Surrey. Supported saints from about 5. Went to Merry oak secondary school and Itchen college in the early 70s. Left Southampton to join Army [medical corps] Came back in late 70s for a few years working as am manager with Sperrings [any one remember them]

If I am not watching, home or away will be iether on saints player or if Abroad would have found a live screening. Last game I iether didnt watch or listen to was, [dont know how it happened] but one Saturday took family to Thorpe Park that day we beat Man u was it 6 3 and ferguson blamed it on his choice of shirt colour. Still gutted about misssing that!

62 years 8 months (nearly).

Born in Edmonton within kicking distance of White Hart Lane. Brought up as a beachboy near Harwich in Hi-de-Hi country in the 50s when my dad used to go to watch Alf Ramsey's Ipswich. Moved back to Enfield at 15. Three years at Cambridge studying engineering. My dad had been a very good amateur fullback so I started playing right back for my college. Went to watch Tottenham quite a few times in the 60s when Greaves and Gilzean were playing for them. Chose Hampshire when I started work, first Fareham and then Chandlers Ford where I am now. I used to play football at weekends so had no time for watching it. My wife's parents moved to Christchurch so I went to Bournemouth with my father-in-law, sadly missed. My daughter started to get interested in football during Italia 90 so I took her to some games with her friends, first Bournemouth but she wanted First Division so I took them to the Dell. We beat QPR 3-1 (I think) so she was hooked. If only we had lost my life would have been a lot less complicated. We gradually went to more games until I got two season tickets. This was during the Branfoot era so there were plenty available but we've had them ever since. First away game? I can't remember exactly but we went to a lot in those days. Gave up playing at 40, then refereed until about 8 years ago when my business needed all my attention.

It's been fascinating reading all the mini bios and amazing how widespread our support is both in terms of age and distribution. One crowd holds thousands of different stories. Somebody should write a book.

Have lived in Chicago since Sep 1995, working for a large Swiss bank. Spend most of childhood in Chandlers Ford (Hiltingbury and Thornden schools) then at 16 moved to Newbury then Bournemouth (Uni) then London to start work.

First awareness of Saints was the 76 Cup Final (I was 7) and seeing my dad launch off the sofa when Bobby Stokes scored.

First Saints game was 77/78 but cant remember who against but pretty sure we had Boyer and MacDougall up front. Went to every homegame (Lower West Stand benches) after that until we moved to Newbury (wasnt very happy about it if i recall)

First away game - 84 Cup game against Pompey, unless the 1979 League Cup Final counts

High point - Keegan joining the team and the subsequent 3 year run

Low point - Losing to Everton in the Semi-Final

Absolutely loving my football again the last 2 years, albeit from afar !

Age 25, Grew up in Rownhams now live in Pardubice, Czech Republic. Currently a recruitment consultant for an english firm out here. First game was a 1-0 loss (AET) at the dell to coventry in the league cup. First away game was crew alexandra in 2006, we had a new centre forward who scored his first goal for us that day (dont remember his name??). Best home game was staying up against sheff utd in 2008. Best away game was winning 5-1 against bristol rovers when we were looking likley for a playoff spot, morgan schniederlin got his first goal for us too =]

Are you thinking of a striker called Madsen?

I'm 21, from Farnham in Surrey and supported Saints since my Dad got us season tickets when we moved to St Mary's. Currently in my final year at Nottingham Uni. Starting to write a Saints blog in my spare time.

http://notplayedonpaper.blogspot.com/

born southampton, now living Warlingham in Surrey. Supported saints from about 5. Went to Merry oak secondary school and Itchen college in the early 70s. Left Southampton to join Army [medical corps] Came back in late 70s for a few years working as am manager with Sperrings [any one remember them]

If I am not watching, home or away will be iether on saints player or if Abroad would have found a live screening. Last game I iether didnt watch or listen to was, [dont know how it happened] but one Saturday took family to Thorpe Park that day we beat Man u was it 6 3 and ferguson blamed it on his choice of shirt colour. Still gutted about misssing that!

It was the season before vthat he blamed the shirts.

A Good Read indeed! Thought I might add my piece. The Saints influence always present it seems. Grandfather was Vice President of So'ton FA Council in 1932 and father played for the Saints Schoolboys about 1920. Father took me to my first match some time in 1946, around Christmas time I think. Names like Ramsey, Rochford, Webber, Day, Bates come to mind. Was away at boarding school but visited the Dell when home on holiday. Spent my life roaming the world and kept in touch through the BBC and the dulcet tones of John Arlott, Raymond Gledining etc. Looking to be 77 in a couple of months and live in Cheshire but can still kick a ball with the grandchildren!

Hi, I'm SNSUN's fiancee, Azzy, age 28. I will be Mrs SNSUN in June, which worries me because he does **** all around the house and would rather be in Southampton supporting your lot than with me making sweet music with me in the bedroom. I'm a Norwich fan and proud, although I was born in Essex so I don't have webbed feet, nor do I **** my brother. I attend more Southampton games than Norwich games, mainly because SNSUN's obssession with Southampton is deeper than mine for Norwich, and also because you're a better team to watch. I also hate SNSUN's family's parrots, he tells me he wants to punch them when Saints lose, and I support him in that endeavour. My first Saints game was away to Crystal Palace in your relegation season from the Championship. Saints lost 3-0 and I was fricking freezing, but SNSUN bought me a kebab after the game so I felt better. He really knows how to treat a lady and he has a big winky to boot. My favourite Southampton player is Richard Chaplow, and I had a crush on Michail Antonio when he played for you. (Not as big a crush as my love for ex-Norwich player David Bentley though.)

I have an agreement with him that when we have children, they will be brought up to support both clubs equally, they can choose who they want to support of their own accord when they're older.

Totally believable until this bit ............ He really knows how to treat a lady and he has a big winky to boot!!

Nice try matey but we ain't fallin for that one!!