Who are You?

pressingon

Aged 64 now living in Shrewsbury but was brought up in Alresford.

Not really interested in football as a young lad but was persuaded to go to a match by some friends from Southampton Tech which I was attending on day release at the time.

First home match Leyton Orient 1964 Drew 2-2. First away match Palace 1965 won 2-1.

Do you still get to home games? I'm often driving down alone from Wem. PM me if you ever want a lift.

Aged 45, brought up in Hythe and now I live in Totton for now as we are moving soon.

Dad and my two older brothers used to take me home and away to watch Spurs until I was six years old when I said to Papa I want to support Saints now as they are my local.

He was gutted!!

First game '71 bristol city at the dell 2-0, those were the days you got thrown on the pitch to celebrate a goal, first away game Spurs v Brighton (crazy but I collected £1.52 from the terraces after Brighton went coin nuts)

My last game will be year 2045 as someone called Messonaldo shows off the champions league trophy for the 5th time at the 80,000 seater St Adkins stadium.

37, live in Lancashire, originally from Bitterne of Norwegian/Danish descent, first game was centenary match vs Everton when my mate was official mascot and took me with him, lost 2-3, but I remember Glenn Cockerill scoring within 70 seconds and being blown away by the noise....school was near the Dell so used to get tickets for most midweek games, not in Soton very often unfortunately but last game was the 2-0 win v Burnley this season.......

Edited by Viking Saint

45 living in Bournemouth but originally from and lived in Weymouth......so I'm getting closer to Southampton :-)

First game - Hull City at The Dell the week before the 76 Cup Final. We won 1-0 and Bobby Stokes scored....as he would the following week of course, God bless him.

First away game - Bristol City around 1978 ish, we lost 3-1 I remember that much and the stand at Ashton Gate felt like climbing a mountain where it was so steep (to an 11 yr old anyway)

I too cant believe the number of us over 40's on this board.

34, live in Newbury. Family across the road were Saints season ticket holders so I went a couple of times with them. First game was a 0-0 draw away to Oxford, and I have vague recollections of a win against Liverpool at the Dell. First game as a season ticket holder was a 1-0 win against Norwich in an evening kick off, own goal from a corner. I also won the £250 half time draw that night.

Seen us win at Wembley (Carlisle), seen us lose at Wembley (Forest). Seen le Tiss score two of the best goals ever, within minutes of each other. Seen Barry Horne score from the halfway line, seen Neil Ruddock score with his arse. Seen Ken Monkou keep Ian Wright in his back pocket for 90 minutes. Seen my son cheer a goal at SMS. Seen us nearly go out of business, and so whatever the result I will watch us forever more with a sense that I'm glad there is still a team to watch.

Forever red and white

41, live in Westbourne, West Sussex, work as a sports science lecturer. First game-can't remember but was about 76-77. Go to the games with my brother and my best mate's mum! been a season ticket holder for 12 years and couldn't imagine not having one now!

First game was 1974 v Glasgow Rangers in the Texaco Cup

First away match was Brighton on New Years Day in the promotion year (think "that" Bristol Rovers game was a few weeks later).

Born Northam, raised in Lordshill/Millbrook, now back living City Centre way.

Have to say that the age profile on this thread is quite surprising, we're mostly all old feckers, which does make you wonder how we ***** so much like teenagers LOL

34, live in Solihull. Born'n'bred in Widnes (north-west, between Liverpool and Manchester, not really a hot-bed of football!)

Never had any connections to the city of Southampton... I didn't choose Saints... Saints chose me! (with a little help from MLT)

Started following them around 91'/'92 season, first trip to the Dell was summer 1994 (during a family holiday) Saved my pocket money for months and spent over £100 in the club shop... the next day we signed Bruce Grobbelaar!

Haven't been to a lot of games over the years, but spent many an hour sat in front of teletext on the final game of the season during the 90's, watching relegation dog-fights unfolding one page-refresh at a time! :)

30, live in Eastleigh, real name is Stuart. Brought up in Harefield and lived in Nottingham for 4 years whilst at Uni. Think my first game was the Steve Mills testimonial in around 1988 with my Dad but didn't get properly into Football and Saints until about I was about 13. Think my first away game was Coventry 1999 at Highfield Road (except from the Zenith Data Cup Final), we won 1-0 through Ostenstad and Pahars made his debut.

From what Iv read, Im the youngest.!

19 ;)

First game way back in 2001, the season St. Mary's opened. Definitely remember us beating Charlton 1-0(think this may have been first game?!), our first win there, but can't remember anything else from that season! Did we beat Manchester United 2-1? :/ Definitely need my memory jogging.

Edited by Saintandy666

47. From So'ton originally (St. Mary's then Lordswood), but have lived in S. London since 1986.

First game - not sure, but would have been 1975 I suspect. Do remember being at the WBA FA Cup game (replay) 75/76, but that ticks out because we had sets in Upper West Stand. Usually to be found in Milton Rd chocolate boxes, the graduated to under west stand. Usually Kingsland at SMS.

No idea on first away game, can't remember, but would have been 76/77 most likely.

47. From So'ton originally (St. Mary's then Lordswood), but have lived in S. London since 1986.

First game - not sure, but would have been 1975 I suspect. Do remember being at the WBA FA Cup game (replay) 75/76, but that sticks out because we had sets in Upper West Stand. Usually to be found in Milton Rd chocolate boxes, the graduated to under west stand. Usually Kingsland at SMS.

No idea on first away game, can't remember, but would have been 76/77 most likely.

First game - not sure, but would have been 1975 I suspect. Do remember being at the WBA FA Cup game (replay) 75/76, but that sticks out because we had seats in Upper West Stand. Usually to be found in Milton Rd chocolate boxes, then graduated to under west stand. Usually Kingsland at SMS.

19 ;)

First game way back in 2001, the season St. Mary's opened. Definitely remember us beating Charlton 1-0(think this may have been first game?!), our first win there, but can't remember anything else from that season! Did we beat Manchester United 2-1? :/ Definitely need my memory jogging.

I remember being at the Charlton game, was our first win at St.Marys.

Still have the Tshirt they mustve been trying to get rid of for months !

28, West End.. (Technically Bitterne but claim west end as on border). Brought up in Harefield, shifted away to right side of west end road at 22. Followed Aston Villa until early teens as copied brother in law, mate took me to st Mary's around 2004 and was hooked there on...now a very healthy addiction in my eyes (not so much in wallet) STH in Itchen Centre for last few seasons.

My names Mike and i'm 36. Born in Southampton to a Southampton Mum and my Dad from Motihari, India. My dad come over in the early 50's and loved Southampton so much he made it his new home and married a Southampton lass (my mum). In my life time we lived in Harefield, I went to Woodlands (formerly Moorhill). When I was just 1 years old, my dad lofted me on his shoulders to see the Bus come around with the Cup, to the bottom of Harefield in 76 (too young to remember that). Think I must have got hooked then :)

Sadly my Dad passed away when I was 5 but I remember from around 81/82 but probably properly started following in the late McMenemy days and then Chris Nicholl. One of my earliest true memories was Everton Saints Semi Final at Highbury. For the last 6 years, I'm now living in the smelly side of Hampshire in Gosport. Married a Gosport girl who I've now converted to being a Saint. Looking to move back to Southampton in the future.

22. Living in Leeds at the moment as final year uni student studying Politics and International Relations. Grew up near Winchester before moving to North London when i was 12. Saints first game was against Blackburn mid 90's with my dad. Dad supported spurs but got us season tickets at dell and have both loved saints ever since! Last game was Leeds last weekend which was great!

22. Living in Leeds at the moment as final year uni student studying Politics and International Relations. Grew up near Winchester before moving to North London when i was 12. Saints first game was against Blackburn mid 90's with my dad. Dad supported spurs but got us season tickets at dell and have both loved saints ever since! Last game was Leeds last weekend which was great! Oh yeah real name is Max, would like to change username... was created by my immature 15 year old self.

My name is my user name. No hiding behind pseudonyms. That is me.

Born in East Dean near West Dean and nearly in Wiltshire so we used the Budden's '2 bob' coach to get to home games.

First game was 1970 versus Leeds United on Mick Jones birthday - my brother took me as I was only eight and I didn't see much and we left ten minutes from time because I was dying for a ****. Leeds United won 3-0, Mick Jones scored two and the crowd was 30,001 which amused my brother a lot as he said the 'one' was me!

First away game was, I think, Crystal Palace in the FA Cup semi-final, went with Bobby Cassidy and Philip Paddock and was terrified of getting lost in London. Went to FA Cup final, my brother didn't he was really sore about that - went to the Charity Shield and lots and lots of games after that for few years...

Then I discovered I was 'reasonable' at football and fairly good in goal and I enjoyed playing, a lot - so I played for a long, long time and missed a lot of games.

Last game was the first 1-0 defeat against Swindon (I now live here) but I'd rather have a leisurely stress-free life so I don't earn very much money and therefore I cannot afford to go to games anymore - unless it's a treat...

Wasn't it 'wrong' when Google wanted all this data?

Anyway I digress, another '50' here, Saints born and bred, mum and dad from Warsash area, grandparents and great-grandparents were Saints fans which makes me fourth generation and my boys 23 and 21 fifth generation.

First game home v Sheff Weds spring 1967 (1-1), we lived in the midlands at that time and our dad used to take us to away games at Wolves, WBA, Stoke, Coventry etc, first away game would prob have been Wolves the next season.

Lived Netley from 1970-1977 (Hamble school) before moving to East Kent in a sort of player-swap deal that saw my Grandparents retire back to Warsash.

Our Saints supporting (not following) dropped from prob 15 games a season to occasional London aways and a very rare foray to the Dell. I got back into it with the boys first game aged 6 and 4 away at Highbury (the game where Berkcamp took us to pieces). Boys were hooked from day one and we've never looked back. We've done 12-15 games a season mix of H and A pretty much since we've been at SMS, the most games we've done is probably the JPT season when we did 20-plus. Biggest games would be Cardiff and JPT and the 76 semi, 'best' games Channon testomonial and Derby away in the play-offs.

I consider myself to have been blessed to have been born a Saint and I've seen some fantastic players down the years; best of all we have potentially our best years in front of us!

Only wished I lived a bit nearer!

Great thread.

I'm 52 years old, born in Hertfordshire and brought up in Bishopstoke from the age of eight months. Didn't get into football till relatively late in life; my first game was the Texaco Cup game against Rangers in 1974, which we won 2-0 (the second was a quite beautiful own goal!). Went to a few games after that, but didn't really get hooked till a few years later - I think the 5-0 dismissal of Blackburn Rovers (at which I stood in the Archers for the only time in my life) was what did it.

Not sure about my first away game, but it may have been at Anfield in the late 70s; we lost 2-0. Like quite a few, my worst memory was that FA Cup semi in 1984. My best? Probably Dellhurst Park - one hell of a day.

Live in Woolston during the week and Horndean at weekends; don't get to many matches other than midweek ones at the moment.

My name is Andrew. Aged 54. Brought up in Poole, then lived in Westbourne, Bournemouth, now in Bath, Somerset. First season was 1967 but for some reason I

can't remember what was actually my first game. However, my first away game was a 2-2 draw with Arsenal an Highbury. Ron Davies was my favourite player.

31, live in plymouth

born and bred in millbrook

moving back to southampton in the near future

first home game...1985 (can't really remember) but we beat west ham 4-1 or something

first away game 1993 at oldham..we lost 4-3 in their great escape...MLT got 3

53, live in bitterne, 1st game v spurs 1967, 1st away v oxford fa cup in about 1968

now season ticket holder in the northam, basically cause i prefer to stand to watch football,

now the odd bit, in the 60s i lived in bishops waltham, there used to be a coach every saturday to either saints or pompey, who ever was at home, basically the same people on the coach, many people had season tickets at both grounds & had both red and white and blue and white scarfs, so i grew up watching saints and pompey, moved to bitterne in 1970 and just went to saints games, from mid 70s to late 80s i went to virtually every saints game home & away,

i also have 4 season tickets in the kingsland, which i give out to customers, i used to have 4 tickets at fratton, which i also gave out to customers, but when they got relagated from the prem, they hardly were used, maybe cause of my roots i have never got into the hate pompey bit, i run a company which covers most of hampshire, i mix with many pompey fans through work and socially, really cant get a hate for them. sorry if that offends

23 from Basingstoke but go to Uni at Sheffield Hallam - final year.

First home game was against Crystal Palace in 1995 pretty sure we won, although I don't really remember it seeing as though I was 6 ! Support Saints because I didn't have a choice !

First away match was THAT match against Wimbledon. Dellhurst, incredible memories. Normally get to about 20 games a season although hoping to go to more next year once (touch wood) I have graduated !

53, live in bitterne, 1st game v spurs 1967, 1st away v oxford fa cup in about 1968

now season ticket holder in the northam, basically cause i prefer to stand to watch football,

now the odd bit, in the 60s i lived in bishops waltham, there used to be a coach every saturday to either saints or pompey, who ever was at home, basically the same people on the coach, many people had season tickets at both grounds & had both red and white and blue and white scarfs, so i grew up watching saints and pompey, moved to bitterne in 1970 and just went to saints games, from mid 70s to late 80s i went to virtually every saints game home & away,

i also have 4 season tickets in the kingsland, which i give out to customers, i used to have 4 tickets at fratton, which i also gave out to customers, but when they got relagated from the prem, they hardly were used, maybe cause of my roots i have never got into the hate pompey bit, i run a company which covers most of hampshire, i mix with many pompey fans through work and socially, really cant get a hate for them. sorry if that offends

there was a coach from Bishops Waltham? I never knew that - I used to catch the bus in and back every game from Waltham Chase in the early 70's. Not too bad though, as I was able to get a Plesteds (name may be wrong - it was a long time ago!) pie before hopping on the bus to come home :) I remember walking back from Bishops Waltham Square one Boxing Day and walking in the middle of the road as it had been snowing and there was bu99er all traffic around when this Range rover beeped it's horn to get out of the way - it was Mick Channon on his way home after the game. Bu99er didn't stop to give me a lift though! Strange what sticks in the memory as I have absolutely no idea what the game was.

Another one drawn out of the shadows by this thread.

53 ex Shirley,St.Georges and Taunton.

First home game was Chivers last ever home game which I think was a 3-3 draw with Sheff Utd but not sure.

Cant remember away game but probably in London in early seventies.

Used to go in the Archers and jump over the wall at the back and then stand half way down the East stand in a little 'mob'.

Still get tickets from Lets B Avenue for a few games every season as lived in sunny Essex for 30 plus years and he'll no doubt correct me about the above game!

Glad to, you ugly gimp. :D

Your 1st game was IIRC on Boxing Day 67. Fantastic shot from Alan Woodward for the equaliser.

Chivs last game was a couple of weeks later in the pouring rain a 5-3 home defeat v. Chelsea. Their revenge for the 6-2 which Eric and others have quoted as their 1st away game.

42 years young, been living in Singapore for past 11 years. Prior to that 11 years in Aldershot and grew up in Gloucester.

Gloucester not being a particularly big footballing City I looked to my family for inspiration. My Dad is a Bolton fan so wasn't a particular attractive option at the time. One Grandfather, an ex international footballer (ok so he was a Guernsey International player but still counts!), was a Guernsey Rovers life long fan. My other Grandfather was a life long Saint's fan and ST holder and late 1975 he promised me that if Saints got to the FA Cup final he would take me to the Final. I held him to his promise so my first Saint's game was the 1976 FA Cup Final and never looked back!

51 born & brought up in Lymington. Now live in Cheadle near Stockport. First home game I think it was 1971 against Arsenal lost 0-1 Radford free kick. Hugh Fisher broke his leg challenging Bob Wilson Stood in the Archers. First away 1976 Notarf krap, got there late with my dad & some joker sent us into the Fraton End got loads of abuse as had a silk scarf on. luckily it was still 2-tier then with a walk way between. So we walked around and stood next to the Saints supporters on the side. Plenty of Saints in the home side anyway. Great night as mid week after Cup semi final! Even better when Channon scored in injury time 1-0 Saints.

Bloody hell, thought I must be one of the older ones at 25 but evidently not!

Hampshire born 'n bred, even chose Southampton Uni on basis of where my loyalties lie.

First game was a pre-season friendly away to Leyton Orient circa '95 or '96 courtesy of my uncle :) First home game I seem to recall was a fixture against Wimbledon with Shipperley scoring twice.

From there on it was a case of making matches whenever I was able to, but am now a season ticket holder in the Northam. My second love behind Saints is music - can often be found at metal gigs post-match!

46, live in Botley now, but spent the 'Le Tiss living' in Dubai, so missed out on that era! Born in Soton but grew up in Swindon (not great for a Saints supporter). Started supporting Saints because of my good old dad,he was a life long supporter!

First game was late 70's, Cardiff I think? Try to get to most home games when I'm not traveling for work. Got my two boys as supporters, so the legacy lives on!

Started supporting Saints as a kid when we lived in Netley. My first game was meant to have been in September 1965 v Wolves but I misbehaved so we didn't go. Saints won 9-3!!

Shortly after that we moved to Bristol, then Plymouth, then Brum but it didn't matter as I was a Saint.

Now live in Thame , Oxfordshire and have been a season ticket holder ever since Saint Mary's opened.

40 - Lives in Fagesta - Sweden

First home game Soton - Liverpool first season at St.Marys 2-0 win with Beattie scoring a pen and Riise made a really nice own goal : )

First away QPR 2-0 win - was out first year in the Championship I think - Rasiak and BWP scored - was in the home end ......

Coming to St.Marys in two weeks time for the Doncaster game

56 Eastleigh Hooked by my first game, an early 10th birthday present. My dad's cousins came down to support Wolves and took me. Fantatsic result, remember very little apart from two unhappy cousins! First away was Chelsea, can't remember the result. I was 15 and went with a local W.M.C. P!55ed as a fart!

I am 42 and live with parents. I am 24 stone and single. I don't go to games due to having no money as I has to pay for a concert tickets twice this year and it's difficult for me to get to matches due to the road works on Hill Lane. I am a huge Saints fan ands how my loyalty by being a member of as many Saints Internet forums as possible and posting on match day threads. I own the home and away kit and wear them all the time with my tracksuit bottoms and Reebok classics. I love all things Saints and love Cortese. My passion for the club and the Internet together with my grotesque appearance and poor personal hygiene have led me to live a single life but I'm happy. I show my passion for the club from behind my computer and the match day threads are the

highlight of the week for me. I can always be found on my computer, pizza on the table, beer in hand, fingers twitching desperate to be the first one to post things like "goal kick" and "corner to Saints"

38 and living in Swindon but originally from Sarisbury Green.

First game was against Spurs at home in about 1986. A 1-0 win with a goal from Danny Wallace. I was in the Milton Road end and couldn't really see so was allowed to sit on the ramp bit that came down from the players tunnel! I was in awe when the players were coming off the pitch at the end!

First away game was a 3-1 FA cup win away to spurs. Goals from Matt Le Tiss and Barry Horne (I think!)

54, now reside in an SO postcode in Locks Heath/Warsash, first home game Aston Villa 1962 won 6-2, first away game Man Utd won 2-0 (Channon 2), remember being lifted over the turnstiles at the Archers Rd end by my Dad every time that season, still don't understand why? STH Itchen stand with my dear old Dad (82) think this might be his last year as a STH though, his first game he tells me was in 1939. He's been going to games pretty regularly since then home and away.

Age 21- Born in Sydney, now living in Newcastle Australia. Never lived in Southampton, although spent 6 months studying in Norwich last year where I was able to go to my first away game in the 4-4 draw (never a pen till this day). None of my family are Saints fans, nor really footy fans, was somehow able to watch my first match in the 2-0 win against Liverpool in 2002. Can't really remember why I was there, but as an impressionable 12 year old I was hooked.

Sadly, I reckon I have only been to about 7 or 8 matches in my life, although am up at 2-4am every weekend/match listening to Dave. All my mates not only don't support league clubs but don't know any that support any club outside the previously known 'top 4' clubs, which made me a subject of ridicule during school years (and still now...)

Have always found it strange that the club as made such a large impression on myself, despite having few connections to either the city or club. I would not have it any other way.

Amazing Hangover - 60's Kid brought up in Birmingham and Stratford on Avon, now living in Hemingford Abbots, small village in Cambridgeshire.

Dads family were from Woolston so got dragged along to see all the local teams (WBA, Cov, Brum, Villa, Wolves etc) play Saints from 68 onwards - so my first 50 or so matches were all away.

First match was vs WBA in 68 (0-0 apparently though if I had been asked before looking it up I would have said 1-0 to them). I was impressed by how tall Ron Davies and Jeff Astle were as they eyballed each other at kick off (my dad confirmed they were 'both six footers') Jimmy Melia played in that match.

I also went to another match at WBA when Tommy Jenkins, our perminently knackered looking winger, trudging back from the half way line, asked my dad what the time was ( we were standing in amongst the WBA lot - no segrigation) Dad hurridly looked at his watch and told Tommy 'ten past four' (or whatever) Tommy said thanks and shambled onwards. Bizzare.

First home game was Derby in 78 won 4-0 with Phil Boyer getting three. Great to be surrounded by saints fans at last.

46 from Epsom and member of London Saints.

Saints were first league team I saw play at the end of 84/85 season. 0-0 v Stoke who had already been relegated, it was freezing cold. Saw a handful of games while at Soton University then not until Charlton game first home win at St Mary's. Regular since then. First away game was 1-0 win at Upton Park in 02/03, Beattie scoring in added time.

Been travelling since October so following results from South East Asia. Back for Boro away and Coventry at home. And playoffs if necessary!

Nearly 58. Originally from Middle Earth now residing in Bognor Regis.

Can't remember first game (or much else).

Son and I are are STH's and sit in Block 35

Edited by gandalf
Wrong info

63, Born in Scotland, married a Southampton girl and went to the Dell in 1971 with her dad who was a lifelong Saint !

Reckon that we beat Chelsea 3-1 in my first match but could be wrong!

Brainwashed my 3 kids and have had season tickets for 30 odd years even whilst living in Belgium!

Retired at 58 and now live on the IoW although I try to avoid the worst of the winter by spending time in Cape Town where I am at the moment (only downside is that I miss 5/6 home games each year!).

17, from near Andover.

Uncle took me to my first game against Charlton (3-2), must have been about 7-8.

First away game was against Reading, 0-2 i think, and i've been hooked on going away since.

Feel very young..

I'm 44, and my Saints history is complex - but you asked for it. I came to Saints late in life...

Born in Gosport. Mum is a Liverpool fan (Liverpool-Irish), Dad was a lapsed Pompey fan. The first game I saw was Liverpool v QPR (2-1) when I was about 8 and as they were quite good at the time, it was their team photos that graced my wall. When I was about 12 I stopped following any particular team and just became a fan of football instead. I think because my Mum and Dad supported different teams it felt right to not side with either of them. As an aside, Mum is Irish catholic, Dad was Northern Irish protestant so I naturally chose a different 'spiritual' path too.

Whilst I love the game of football and have played all my life, I managed to avoid following any team in particular for years. In some ways it was fantastic as I could watch a game and enjoy it without worrying what the result meant to my team. But something was obviously missing from my life.

I moved to the Southampton area with my first job and worked with a bloke (Vic Mackey of this parish) who, together with his family were ST holders at the Dell. It's all his fault. Over time he brain-washed and indoctrinated me into the ways of Saints. He would seduce me with tales of this player from Guernsey called Le Tissier and I would console him as he'd rant about some bloke called Branfoot. First game was circa 92 when his Dad asked if I wanted to use his ST while he was holiday - can't remember the opponents. I was hooked pretty much after that but after my first away game, which was Wimbledon in the Great Escape season, there was no turning back. Fruitlessly put my name down on the ST waiting list at the Dell then got an ST when St. Mary's opened.