Who are You?

pressingon

47. I'm not proud of it, but maybe lurked on this forum for too long without posting. Moved to Southampton in 76 and

attended most home games from then on.

Remember going away to Brighton away in late 70's and nearly getting my head kicked in.

Wembley 79 is also a fuzzy distant memory.

Lived in Bitterne and went to Moorhill Secondary. Another fuzzy and distant memory. Now living in North Yorkshire but

working in Afghanistan.

24, born in Southampton, raised in Southampton and went to university in Southampton. First home game I think was against Oldham, we lost 1-3. First away game was Tottenham in the FA Cup and we drew 1-1.

Now a STH in the Northam and do evry game home and away. Love every minute of it.

56, now Otterbourne, but lived in Archers Rd 1959 to 1985

first H game, v Stoke May 1963 to see Stan Matthews but he was rested

first A game, Boxing Day at Stamford Bridge 1969 we lost 3-0 or 3-1.

Claims to fame - went to every game in the 1976 FA Cup win and vice capt of Fitzhugh Public House (Milton Rd) Darts team which regularly inc Peter Osgood, Jim Steele and Gerry O'Brien. Happy Days.

Do you have a friend who owns some lovely holiday cottages in Devon?

Aged 64 now living in Shrewsbury but was brought up in Alresford.

Not really interested in football as a young lad but was persuaded to go to a match by some friends from Southampton Tech which I was attending on day release at the time.

First home match Leyton Orient 1964 Drew 2-2. First away match Palace 1965 won 2-1.

A week shy of 28, born in Scotland and moved south for the climate whilst still a bairn. Currently living in the Polygon.

First home game, Saints v Ipswich '93 I think? 4-3

First away game, Tottingham v Saints 2000 - 7 -2 (I was put off for a long time after that!)

TS

39, born on the Isle of Wight, moved to London a few years later, now in Basingstoke.

First match, 86 away to West Ham we lost 3-1, it was the game that Shilton got loads of stick from the west ham fans for the tabloid revelations of him cheating on his mrs.

First home, 1987 Vs Watford 1-0 win. Danny Wallace scored a screamer, I told my parents I was going to be out all day hanging out with my friends but went from London down to Southampton on my own instead then had to ask people the way to the Dell. I had saved up my wages from my newspaper round for the trip bought myself a scarf in the club shop and then had to pay a whole £1.50 to gain entry to the Milton Terrace. I was hooked from then on and sneaked down on several other trips that season including a 3-0 win against Oxford.

37 - Live in Brussels, but grew up in Cornwall.

Never lived in Southampton, but the club has been with me since about 82.

First Home Game: 1-1 at St. Mary's against Fulham I think, probably mid 00's. Delap scored, so I did witness a fairly unique moment.

First Away Game: 0-1 at Coventry I'm guessing mid 90's. Ostenstad scored and Le Tiss walked around like he was the best player on the pitch (which everyone in the stadium knew he was!)

Born in Southampton, lived there until aged 10, when dads job took us around a fair bit. Now settled in Poole

First game 1969ish , can't really remember as they all seemed to merge into each other as a 5 year old. Remember my first away game, Birmingham about '73ish

Fav memory was obviously '76 (Dad didn't take me, never forgiven him, but went to the homecoming), Watford Semi was a great feeling as I went with my boy and Sister and it was great to reach the final again. Also loved the Alan Ball survival season, great memories esp Le Tiss.

Do people really remember their first game? QUOTE]

Yes - just like where I was when JFK got shot, staying up for that small step by Neil Armstrong, the girl who provided my first french kiss, and the first time I heard Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone"!!

Age 53

From Kingsclere to Basingstoke and last 25 years Newbury.

First home game when I was about 4yrs old and can remember watching Terry Paine et all.

First away game was against Pompy, I was still only less than 10 yrs but remember it as I got kicked, it hurt, I cried....what a wus !!!

59.. Waterlooville surrounded by Pompey fans.. remember going to Wolves 9-3 as one of my first trips to the Dell, but also went to Goodison/Elland Road in '72 where we shipped 15 goals, followed by Man U which I think was 2-5.. but the best memory is the '76 trip to Wembley.. Happy Days

Aged 20, born in Southampton but lived near Fleet for 16 years until I moved back here for Uni in 2010.

First Saints game was a 1-0 win at SMS vs Charlton in 2001 (I think that was our first league win at SMS - Pahars scored).

First away game was last season at Charlton, 1-1 draw. Had seen numerous away pre-season games before but they don't count.

Season Ticket will be purchased in the summer.

Brought up in Salisbury, now on the dark side (well, Chichester). First game, in that funny little corner of the Archers, September 1970 v Derby County 4-0 to the Saints, Davies 2, Channon 2. Both my father and I were hooked from then on (& later my mother, too) & now my son is, as well, & finally seeing some good times in his young life. May 1st 1976 still my best memory, but the last three seasons have been as much fun as any time I've had supporting Saints.

35, born and raised in Hythe... always wanted to go to a game but dad never took me as he no longer went (despite going when he was a bit younger).

So, first game wasn't until April 1994, 3-1 win vs Blackburn, Dowie, Paul Allen and MLT scored for us, Stuart Ripley with the sole reply for Blackburn.

First away game - no idea, possibly the Reading FA Cup game at Elm Park where Benali and perhaps Robbie Slater were sent off???

58 in april

like Fitzhugh saw every game in 76 cup run and also every game in 78 promotion season.

whole family Saints fans going back to dead grand parents.

bit of a lad in 70's and early 80's until marriage finally caught up with me

best season was 77/78 followed by second year of Keegan's era

2 sons , 23 and 17, following in the family footsteps, although since 2005 has been tough for them living here in border lands, still WTFILN

49 live in Ampfield

1st home game 1969 vrs Spuds. Chivers was playing for them. Went to numerous reserve games before that.

1st Away game, can't remember...... I've been to so many but would have been mid 70's, certainly before the 1976 semi final against palace in April 1976.

First had a season ticket, Under East Stand Terrace, the season before Keegan arrived, was that '77 or '78? Have had a season ticket ever since and now in the Itchen North, Block 4

28....Formerly of Andover now live in East London just across the way from the O2 Arena.

First match was at The Dell and it was Francis Benali's testimonial which ended 7-7 or 8-7. Think that was in 1997? Bad memory

First away match was the same year but I cannot remember who it was against lol

20 years old and currently at university in liverpool but southampton is my home.

First game was in '98 - lost 2-1 to coventry in a midweek game at the dell. Le Tiss scored a penalty.

Second game was home to nottingham forest - lost 2-1. Le Tiss scored a penalty...

Think in my next game i might have finally seen a win (!)

sounds like a " who do you think you are " format ..doesn't it.

Mmm...60+ (who's counting anyway?) So'ton born and bred. Moved to Sweden in the mid 1980's.....

First Dell game. FA CUP Round 3 v. Blackpool Jan. 1959. Stanley Matthews played - we lost 1-2.

First away game. FA CUP SF v. Man U. at Villa Park April 1963. Lost 0-1. . nearly everybody played s**t ..(after that great Cup run, too).

Favourite team of my era.....1963/4 Div.2 side which scored 100 league goals; Paine, Sydenham, George O'Brien; Chivers and Wimshurst.

Favourite player(s) of that era.....Ron Davies .(and few more in second place).. Jimmy Gabriel, JohnMcGrath, later; Channon, Peach and Nick Holmes.

Most thrilling game .............FA Cup March.1963 (2nd replay) v. Notts Forest at Dell 3-3 aet.

Most enjoyable game ..........Mick Channon testamonial.......two days after FA Cup win 1976...fantastic atmosphere!

.....and a lot more since.

Edited by david in sweden

31, Southampton

1st home game, late 80's lost 3-1 to Middlesbrough, remember naff all about the game except a steward telling me off and making me cry!

1st away I think was Forest in late 90's, 1-1, draw, memorable only for my mum being dragged there by my stepdad and absolutely hating it!

STH in Itchen, this is currently my most enjoyable time supporting Saints, long may it continue!

38 now in Devon but grew up in (ahm), Totton.

First home game was sometime in the mid '80s, a 1:0 defeat to Birmingham City who scored 5 mins from time. Can't remember the year but the goal precipitated an angry pitch invasion which emptied the stand. I was a small kid in this big melee, so I won't forget it. I'm sure someone on here will remember it.

First away match was a 4-0 defeat to Derby County at Pride park. 4 goals in 15 mins, sitting with my Derby-supporting mate. Never did that again!

Another daily reader/non-existant poster here... thought I should chip in to this one!

42 years old, brought up in West Somerset in a non-footballing family. In North Somerset now. Collected footy cards with bubblegum as a boy and had more Saints player cards than any others, so when a Saints player scored in a game I knew I had a fair chance of being able to see what he looked like!! Hence, aged 6, 7, 8 etc always looking out for Southampton. Been a 'died in the wool' ever since.

First game 09/04/82 H v Aston Villa - dad & uncle took me on Milton Rd terrace. We got hammered 3-0. I remember a bloke called Keith Cassells playing upfront for us. Anybody else remember him?? **** me he was a donkey.

Try to see 2 or 3 games a season if I can. Only 1 so far was A at Bristol City. Painful. In with my City supporting mate as well. Even more painful...

Great to see the range of ages on here - like some I did have visions of being one of the oldest for some reason.

Also, can't see any stick yet St-Clarke! Think you do a fine 'mod' job for a man of lesser years ;-)

46 going on 21 !

First game I remember was Jan 08 1977 Chelsea 1-1 pretty sure had been going for a while, but always remember that game it was Ted MacDougall birthday. Loads of kids with their bell bottom trousers giving it large in the Chocco box !!

I was not allowed to go for a while after that, as my mates elder brothers were involved in some " inappropriate behaviour"

Shame as they looked out for us in a few scraps......

Age 132. First game 1885 on Northlands Road. A 5-1 win over Freemantle if I remember rightly, although at my age the details are somewhat hazy.

Haven't missed a game since which makes me the number 1 uber fan as you crazy kids like to call them.

51 - can't remember first game as my dad took me to home games from the age of 4 and when Saints were away he took me to the reserves( used to walk all the way round the Dell on my own ) First away game Spuds 71 I think it was 2-1. Moved away at age 9 but go every other week and most midweeks. Best memory was Orient promotion party in 78

47, live in wimborne, latterly educated in portsmouth, (know your enemy), grew up in swanage.

First game was against liverpool at the dell in the late 70's, having been taken to the game by a family friend. Started going to home games regularly after a game against villa in the autumn of 94. Letiss was a different class, I got hooked, and had a ST in the Milton from 95 onwards, moving to the Chapel at SMS. I missed the dutch experiment season, because I just felt that Rupert was taking the p155 by then, and it was really starting to depress me! First away game was against Sunderland at Roker Park in 98 I think. Now I take the kids to every home game.

I respect those on here that clearly have a great knowledge, and a deeper commitment to the club. Regular away supporters in particular are a different breed, in a good way. My post count tends to reflect the fact that I only want to comment if I think I have something to add!

33 and been in Perfff nearly 7 years now.

First game was 1995 and a exciting 0-0 v Sheff Weds and still have the program at home in my mums loft.

Only been to one away game and we lost 3-1 to Wimbledon, can't remember the year might have been 98.

Always catch a couple of home games whenever I fly back these days. Last game I saw was the Bristol City 1-0 loss....haven't lost at home for a year..I turn up and.....well say no more!

Aged 38 from Shoreham, near Brighton. First home game escapes me but, living where I do, first away game was at the Goldstone during 82/83 season; a 1-0 win with a goal from Danny Wallace. Saints allegiance comes from my Eastleigh-based Uncle who took me to my first couple of games at The Dell, got me my first replica kit and I was hooked. Much to the annoyance of my other Brighton-based relatives...

Hold on a minute; handing out these details, have I just been groomed?

If you've managed to reach 38 living so close to Brighton and not been groomed you must be ugly!!

You are in good company on here LOL

From Weston, live in Sholing but currently studying in Derby.

First home game - Sheffield Wednesday at the Dell, think it was 96 or 97. I hated football but was dragged there by my dad. Still hated it afterwards and didn't attend another match until 2005, think it was Chelsea at home, when I finally saw the light at the ripe old age of 14.

First away game - embarrassingly recent. Think it was Charlton season before last.

First match mid fifties, can still see Eric Day take the ball down on his instep from ball hit over his left shoulder, John Hoskins going down the left lifting the ball over the full back and running off the pitch behind him and shooting into the chocolate boxes. Found out I could get in free into the West Stand for 80 mins by selling penny on the ball tickets. Ian White got me into coaching after a broken leg in the sixties.

sounds like a " who do you think you are " format ..doesn't it.

Mmm...60+ (who's counting anyway?) So'ton born and bred. Moved to Sweden in the mid 1980's.....

First Dell game. FA CUP Round 3 v. Blackpool Jan. 1959. Stanley Matthews played - we lost 1-2.

First away game. FA CUP SF v. Man U. at Villa Park April 1963. Lost 0-1. . nearly everybody played s**t ..(after that great Cup run, too).

Favourite team of my era.....1963/4 Div.2 side which scored 100 league goals; Paine, Sydenham, George O'Brien; Chivers and Wimshurst.

Favourite player(s) of that era.....Ron Davies .(and few more in second place).. Jimmy Gabriel, JohnMcGrath, later; Channon, Peach and Nick Holmes.

Most thrilling game .............FA Cup March.1963 (2nd replay) v. Notts Forest at Dell 3-3 aet.

Most enjoyable game ..........Mick Channon testamonial.......two days after FA Cup win 1976...fantastic atmosphere!

.....and a lot more since.

Sorry for the completely random, off topic question, but I noticed you live in Stockholm. What's the city like? I'm thinking of moving there. Is there much work about? Would you recommend it? :)

I'm Chris, 31, and I'm an alcoholic. Wrong thread?

Ok, I first started supporting Saints in 1989 at the age of 8, after my parents let out the spare room to a student from the Southampton area who was passionate about the club. Lived in Windsor all my life apart from when at boarding school and a brief sojourn to Chiswick so I'm not a local Saint, but I did spend a lot of holidays in the Hampshire/Dorset area.

First game was the 3-1 loss to Reading at Elm Park in '96 (FA Cup 3rd round), Robbie Slater and Franny got sent off and Souness stormed the pitch after the game. Never made it to the Dell, except to the club shop, which is something that will haunt me for the rest of my life. After various away games I finally made it to SMS to witness the League One defeat to Bristol Rovers. 3-2. Despite that and shift work I try to get down to SMS around 10-12 times a season.

Now living in North Wales. Went to first match at The Dell 1958/59 versus Newport County. First away match 1963 Cup semi final at Villa Park. The Old Man won a ticket raffled

at his work by a bloke who couldn't go.

Pah ... why couldn't you have started this a month earlier , then at least I'd have been the same age as Dubai Phil!!

54 years young and regressing rapidly.

Dragged up in Beastleigh, then 3 years in Christchurch and Poole before flying off to sunnier climes of The Middle East in 82.

Original Glory Hunter ... 1st game our 1st ever in The Top Tier 1966 v Man City 1-1. Don't remember much about it but do remember enjoying adults utter the occassional swear word near me and chants like "Your gonna get your feckin head kicked in" Magic moments for a kid back then - bad language was a no no on TV and out and about in society in general!!

1st away game - 6-2 at Stamford Bridge 67?. Funnily enough can't remember much about the game - more about the fighting in The Shed End and also reading The Rave reviews of Big Rons 4 goals in the Sunday Newspaper the next day. Pretty much all down hill since then to be honest as away days go!!

Try and arrange my leave so that i can see 2 or 3 games a season, but mostly end up at away games, as my UK home is oop in Lancashire, but normally manage at least 1 home game a year. Meanwhile have to make do with Merry Dave and The MatchDay fred on here, work permitting accompanied by a copious amount of Old Speckled Hen - or the occassional Live Match down the pub.

When we get to The Prem I shall be able to see every game live here in Dubai ... not sure Mrs EoA will be too impressed with my increase in Pub visits!!

27, Live in the Polygon.

First game...don't know ? parents who were st holders used to start taking me when was about 4 and would sit on their lap. Got a ST when was about 7 sitting in the Junior Saints n causing trouble.

first away ...that big QPR one last game the season I think where everyone dressed up.

ST block 42.