Who are You?

pressingon

29. I can't believe I'm 29... though the day we were relegated, I affirmed that I'd love to see Saints back in the Premier League before I'm 30. We're on course, so I'm very happy that my wish might well be fulfilled. Didn't realise I was among much older folks though!

Anyway, I've met a lot of good people from here like Steve Grant, The9, Minty, B-Rabbit and A7X (or whatever he's called) and many other IFC-ers, as well as others like West Tender, squibby, Gemmel, Shrek, Giordano and the never-forgotten Griff. :( Also know a few on here whom I knew personally before, which is also nice. :)

Meh, anyway. Can't remember my first game but my first real memory was the Bolton game and THAT Barry Horne goal. I was in the Milton, but remember little of the game. I lost interest in football for some reason after that and only returned to it after kicking a football for the first time since Italia 90 on February 14th 1994. Why do I remember that date? Saints 4-1 Liverpool. After that, I was hooked again. Attended the dull 0-1 home reversal against Man City soon after and have followed ever since.

Was a regular attendee to The Dell during the mid-late 90's and into the early 00's but tailed off regular attendance since 07, moving abroad in 09. Came back in 2010 but haven't been able to afford to attend during the promotion season. This year, it's been a bit kinder but work sometimes dictates otherwise. This is, thankfully, changing soon and I'll be a regular match-goer again. Whispering Dave is great, but I sure miss it. Hope to join my friend, TSW'er Paul Chuckle, in purchasing a season ticket.

Would like to buy manji, dubai phil, thedelldays, adriansfc, Turkish, rallyboy, Wadge and Guan 2.0 a drink if I ever meet them.

I

Edited by Crab Lungs

45 next week,first game when I was 4 so 1971, first away game was Pompey in 1976 and I have been to every saints v Pompey game (home and away) ever since.my dad was good mates with Jim Steele so mid to late 70's got to see most games.teenage years in the 80's was a good period,went to most away games and met loads of mates that are still friends to this day some that are on here,also made friends with a couple of saints players from this period,Reuben agboola,Dennis wise and mark Dennis.

Been on a couple of trips to Europe,clashed with a few of the big names in hooliganism despite what it says in their silly little books.got 4 kids that have all been taught the value of supporting your hometown club through the good times as well as the bad,and never give in to the temptation of supporting the big money clubs.

Supporting saints has been a constant in my life for as long as I can remember, and I've met some good friends along the way.

Okay Im oldish but very young looking , just turned 61 yes I know another old fogey

I first started really supporting saints in 1964/65 from afar as I was at School in Singapore

I was in Singapore 64-67. Went to RAF Seletar school 64-66 then RAF Changi 66-67 before returning to Blighty.

56, now Otterbourne, but lived in Archers Rd 1959 to 1985

first H game, v Stoke May 1963 to see Stan Matthews but he was rested

first A game, Boxing Day at Stamford Bridge 1969 we lost 3-0 or 3-1.

Claims to fame - went to every game in the 1976 FA Cup win and vice capt of Fitzhugh Public House (Milton Rd) Darts team which regularly inc Peter Osgood, Jim Steele and Gerry O'Brien. Happy Days.

and me in the darts team

24, live in sunny South Africa, never lived in England but my father did the right thing and raised me to support the team he's supported for 40 years even if it has been a bit of a bumpy ride. Still, rather Saints than a plastic Man U or Chelsea fan like my friends I guess. I've only seen 2 games live the first of which was the Ipswich FA cup game 2 years ago where Thomas scored that fantastic rocket but I stream as many as I can or else listen live on the radio. I'd like to see the atmosphere at St Mary's when full though.

46, live in Totton born Romsey. First game WBA home in 5 th Rd FA 1976, Won. 4-0.

Dad in Army and then joined myself so travelled all over till 89. First away game is a bit misty but i recall a visit to Portman Rd.

Lived in Northern Ireland by the time Saints won F A Cup and went to a new school in the August of 76. On my first day there I was asked by a couple of Mick kids which team I

supported. Saints I very proudly replied only to find out most of the kids supported Man Que. This went from a verbal volley to a full on scrap on my first day. Headmasters office and a go on the cane. Bloody footie yobs...

NORM!! Good to hear from you again. I still have very fond memories of that visit to Southampton! Say hi to Pat Fleet if you ever see him (or better still send me his email address if you have it. I can't seem to reach him. I'm at offix@cox.net)

Pat Fleet is my brothers father-in-law, I will pm you his email address

live in Sholing, was born Folkestone in Kent

first home game, 89 ? Man Utd 2-1 had just moved to Southampton & my Dad took me & my older brother to the Dell for the 1st & last time (he is more of a cricket man)

first away game, QPR 94 ? 2-2 i think,dont remember much as i had been at a party the night before & was still out of it.

up until 2 years ago i only went to a few games a season due to work , hence the user name but now go to as many games as possible. have the enjoyment of taking my 7yr old son now which is great although he's embarrassed by my "potty" mouth & over the top goal celebrations :blush:

My family came from Crawley.

My old man and a few of his brothers are on here. Taken about 1950 - New Barn Farm, Crawley, Nr Wichester. You might recognise a few faces. I think now there's about 4 or 5 people who work all that land now. I can count about 91 in those days. That's when Crawley and surrounding areas were working class farming areas, not full of stock brokers. he used to talk about Lady Docker and her son - lance - who all the local lads hated as he drove around in a flash sports car.

6821768066_57d3624e84_b.jpg

Edited by dune

34, Basingstoke, first game v Oxford 3-0 at the Dell in 1987. Think Danny Wallace scored a couple. Was living in Winch at the time and all my mates supported either Everton or Liverpool but for some reason I actually wanted to see the team I supported play, even at that age so supported Saints. Que 20 odd years of gloating when we beat the big teams (Liverpool 4-1 anybody?, stilll better than the 6-3 in my book against the Mancs), a couple of hours hissy fit dreaming of being the new Chelsea when I was told by a very reliable source that Paul Allen was buying us which rapidly turned into a couple of years of grief from Pompey fans (strange how they all came out of the woodwork after promotion to the prem) and probably the best two years of supporting Saints in the last two years since we've started rebuilding. There was just something about League one football that was just so damn honest and was so proud to be part of 30k plus crowds in that division. I still believe that many of e so called bigger clubs would get nowhere near that in League One.

First away I think was Man United that same season. Gutted as my brother is an avid Utd supporter and had to endure the torture on the journey home.

Proud to be a Saints fan, loving this thread.

44. Born in Croydon, family moved to Holbury when I was 18 months old, Hardley educated (I know..) 79-84. Now joining the growing contingent of Surrey Saints by living in Dorking near Gatwick due to job moves. I did a few of the Internet Saints games many years ago, so know a few names on here through that (dragged a pen wide in an early Leeds tourno against Charlton whilst being jeered by the Pompey boys - WHFILN?)

The first Saints game I remember going to was the 79 League cup 2nd leg against Leeds. My Dads mate ran the line that night and we were waiting in the car park for him to give us the tickets and I remember him being really late and running out in his lino kit with the tickets in hand about 5 minutes from kick off. Met him many years later at a family do and during conversation, it turned out that he'd married into the Bailey family and his nephew was Gary Bailey (ManUre GK), and he'd run the line for them several times when Gary had played but no one had ever clocked the family connection!

The first away game I can remember going to was Everton at Highbury in the cup semi in 84. Enough said about that one, especially the river of p!ss at the back of the terrace in extra time.....

Finally, my 6YO nipper (first game, Charlton at home the season we went into admin in case we never came out of it....) plays for the local school side, the Dorking Saints, in his Saints shirt. Mostly, the other lads are in Chelsea blue, but there is one kid who turns up in a different shade of blue shirt each week. I take great pleasure in encouraging them both whilst stood next to his dad with "come on you Saints!". It's not big and it's not clever, especially as I am the coach......... :^)

50 originally from Hythe but now in Woolston, though I spend most of my time up in Doncaster (where I occasionally get to chat with Dean Saunders the Donnie Rovers Manager)

First game would have been in the early 70's when my Dad took me along, could not tell you who we played or what the result was as all I could see was the back of the bloke in front. I do remember the fantastic atmosphere though.

When I moved back down here from Wales I went to a pre season with Eastleigh as MLT was supposed to be playing (the year we went down as Saggy was sitting in the stand looking grumpy) Didn't get too see MLT but was impressed with the abuse Wise was dishing out to all and sundry, I stupidly thought with all that the Championship would not be that bad and we'd bounce straight back up.

First Game @ St Marys was Preston, the club ran a promotion with cheap tickets if your address was within a mile of the stadium. 0-0 I think but I was hooked.

First away was Reading when Wright Phillips scored (twice?) missed the second as we were still in the queuing for the bogs when the second half kicked off.

Go to as many home games as I can and usually take my Grandson. I've only been to two away games this year and I promise not to do it again (Leicester and Doncaster)

62 years young:rolleyes:

Steve Grant once said of me .. on this forum.. my behaviour was like a 12 year old:blush: To be fair ..in those days .I was more like a 10 year old..Sorry to any I upset..Not you Rupert Ra Ra girlzz .. though:)

I have matured slightly over time:D

My daughters say I celebrate at games... like a 6 year old:uhoh: Only when we score:D

Family all from Southampton......Docks/Cape boats etc from Portswood, Woolston , Northam , Thornhill , West End etc

School Butlocks Heath and Hamble.....Grew up and lived in Burseldon and Netley...

Services 10 years , around the world before settling back in UK and working and living in London for 30 years.

Moved to Sunny Devon in 03 and commuted to London for a couple of years before finding.. part time work in Sidmouth..residing in a village just outside of Ottery St Mary..

Father took me from an early age.. 6/7 ? Milton Road end... being peed on by various dockers, as I stood on my orange box in two feet of urine swilling around;)

Saints in the blood from birth ..so to speak... Mum and Dad used to go to most games and her favourite was Charlie Wayman....Up the middle for Charlie ..was the cry from the terraces.

Son is a season ticket holder in the Northam and brother in Itchen stand.....I will be with my daughter in the Kingsland north block 35 today....with my Barnsley mate..So pleeeeese Saints ..3 points with plenty of goals and a good game ...

WIFM

Now 63 and season ticket with daughter in block 37

COYS

Edited by ottery st mary

I think this has finally destroyed the myth that the majority of users on here are in their teens.

I've spent the whole half a century living around the west side of Southampton but I can confirm I was a teenager once (and still am in my head and should know better at times)...solid line of Saints supporting family going back generations, mostly dockers...until everything changed in there. I'll defend my city and club like I would my country.

It's in the blood.

38, live in Rownhams but ex of Lordshill.

I can't remember my first game but I was quite a late starter. I remember shaking Shilton's hand after the game and getting some autographs.

First away game was on the old Foley coach to Anfield in the late 80's. Colin Clarke scored a diving header in a 1-1 draw.

Excellent thread by the way.

22. Living in Leeds at the moment as final year uni student studying Politics and International Relations. Grew up near Winchester before moving to North London when i was 12. Saints first game was against Blackburn mid 90's with my dad. Dad supported spurs but got us season tickets at dell and have both loved saints ever since! Last game was Leeds last weekend which was great!

Which primary school did you go to before you moved to London?

Born: Southampton

Grew up: North Baddesley/Romsey

Now Live: Redditch in Worcestershire

1st Home Game: Man City circa 1991/92 think we lost 2-1

1st Away Game: Everton lost 7-1

Used to work at The Dell in my mid- late teens as SuperSaints chaperone now restricted to mainy away games in the midlands and occasional home game when visiting family back in Romsey. Son is named Matthew after the one and only

24 years old. First game October 93, Saints v Newastle. Tough one to forget even at the tender age of 6.

Lived in/around Southampton all my life, but was actually brought up as a Manure fan, It hurts every day. My old man is a Manc, so every childhood photo is me in a grubby Manure shirt. Thankfully I had my Uncle who took me to said game above, them two Le Tiss goals had a lasting effect as that Saints bug was in me from that night. He couldn't afford to take me to too many gamesat the dell so instead took me down Staplewood quite often to watch the reserves. I always use to ride over my to Uncles from Midanbury to Eastleigh on Saturdays to listen to Saints on the Radio with him, but to the old man I was still a Manure fan and that didn't change properly until 2003, my first away game. Fulham at Loftus Road, 2-2. That was the day I finally told the old many hat he could stick Manure up his arse, for I was a Saint through and through.

Been a season ticket holder for a few years now, and go to as many aways as I can, though since buying house the away days have seriously dried up. Wouldn't change a single thing about my time as a Saints fan, other than I wish I had seen Le Tiss more live. The lows I look back on and that's what makes these times do good.

OWTS...

I think this has finally destroyed the myth that the majority of users on here are in their teens.

Maybe the Nortam Yoof having got as far as reading and writing yet? ;)

It doesn't surprise me that there are so many 40's and upwards who still follow the team from where ever they may be now. Growing up with SFC from the mid 60's to mid 80's through your formative years will have left you with so many great memories and a yearning for those great times to return, and the present set up is more positive than any I can think of since the Lawrie Glory Days, and bizarrely enough some of my all time favourite games were when we were in Div 2 (old money!!). You went to games expecting to win especially at home and seeing plenty of goals, a feeling which in many of our Top league seasons was more in hope than belief!!

50. Born in Doncaster,spent first half of my life supporting Donny Rovers. Saw the light in 1983 when I came to live and work in the sunny South. Now live in Hythe. Been a season ticket holder since they fiddled with the Dell and reduced it's capacity.

First game v Liverpool 15/03/84 Won 2 0.

Born Worthy Down, grew up in Gosport, now occasionally seen at home in Chandler's Ford, often in Bridgnorth, Sharjah, and latterly Brisbane, oh and near the half way line in the Kingsland.

First home game Manchester City 1966, our first game in the top flight. First away game sometime in the early seventies. Not sure, but I was at that Bristol Rovers game highlighted on another thread the other day!

Add one more to the forty-somethings.

41, brought up in Hedge End, now working in Bournemouth, living in Highcliffe

First home game, Luton 90/91. Having hit them for 6 the year before, expectations were high. Lost 2-1 to an Elstrup brace. Welcome to supporting Saints.

First away was in 92/93, 2-1 win at Forest. Absolute robbery, as I remember.

Used to make around 10/12 games a season, but over last 3 years just a few home games a season as now have kids, which means less time and money. Have to pick and choose my games, which makes me a JCL, I guess.

That makes two of us living in Highcliffe, although I'm sure I've seen a 'Highcliffe Saint' on here.

26, from Chandlers Ford but living in London (via a 2 year stint in Spain).

First game - unknown. Dad used to keep the door at the Gateway pub on match days so I'd be round the back of the bar with a panda pop and packet of crisps from a very early age. Dad would then take me to the Dell on his shoulders. Expect my first game was when I was 3 or 4 probably. First memory was a League Cup or FA Cup match v Bolton at home. Not sure what year, just remember Barry Horne scored a goal either late in injury time or late in extra time and there was a pitch invasion.

First away game was Chelsea away probably was 5 or 6. Was too short to see the match so a policeman volunteered for me to sit on his horse so I could see the game! That sort of thing wouldn't happen today.

54, born in Colerne Wiltshire now live in Bath, never lived in Southampton tough have lived in Fareham and Gosport when in the RN, father from Southampton. First home game Reading 63 I think, first one I actually remember was 68 Wolves, first away game, sort off, a Saints XI pre season friendly at Twerton Park late 60’s. Missed the 76 final due to be under the sea somewhere of Scotland! But was at both West Brom games and the semi v Palace.

No wonder we can't fill the bl**dy stadium, Half the fans live in Sweden and the rest split between US,Canada, Aus and the Far East!

Seriously though I'm quite suprised how wide spread our fanbase is especially those who didn't grow up in the area.

It doesn't surprise me that there are so many 40's and upwards who still follow the team from where ever they may be now. Growing up with SFC from the mid 60's to mid 80's through your formative years will have left you with so many great memories and a yearning for those great times to return, and the present set up is more positive than any I can think of since the Lawrie Glory Days, and bizarrely enough some of my all time favourite games were when we were in Div 2 (old money!!).!!

+1 So true

To be fair when I look around my seat in the Kingsland today the age range is predominately 40+

Hi Ron I went to Seletar as well but then went to St Johns as dad moved Tanglin . Small world

I first started really supporting saints in 1964/65 from afar as I was at School in Singapore

I was in Singapore 64-67. Went to RAF Seletar school 64-66 then RAF Changi 66-67 before returning to Blighty.

Born in the General (the old one that's not there anymore)

Grew up mostly in Marchwood but spent weekends at my nan's in Orchard Lane which I guess is on the edge of the Chapel district. Also spent a few years in Northam (the Millbank Tower estate) which was tough as I remember it.

Went to Uni, met my wife and followed her back to her native Manchester... the rest as they say is history. Family still in the Waterside area and St. Deny's.

One of my first home games was against Arsenal, I think we won 1-0. I was hooked and as soon as I was old enough - became a Milton Muppet... Anyone remember the odd bloke in the tight leather jacket who would appear 2 minutes bofore kick-off clutching his sticks of celery... which obviously resulted in everyone chanting the celery song!!

35, born and raised in Hythe... always wanted to go to a game but dad never took me as he no longer went (despite going when he was a bit younger).

So, first game wasn't until April 1994, 3-1 win vs Blackburn, Dowie, Paul Allen and MLT scored for us, Stuart Ripley with the sole reply for Blackburn.

First away game - no idea, possibly the Reading FA Cup game at Elm Park where Benali and perhaps Robbie Slater were sent off???

Christ! You've been to an away match?!

37, born in Southampton, moved to Kent just before I was 13, still there now. First game was against Chelsea at the Dell. Would have been mid 80's and I went with Mansel School. First away game against Charlton, only a 20 min drive away from where I live now. Try to see at least one game a season, but haven't been yet this year.

Which is why I am truly stunned by the lack of football knowledge and common sense on here.

It's all the Red Wine and real Ale mate plays havoc with the brain cells......................... So all you nippers for once take a lesson from the old gits: oh reading naughty mags don't worry it's a myth eyesight fine just knackers your hearing.

55 years old. After supporting Saints for so long I look more like 65.

Born and raised in Winchester. Started watching Saints in late 60's. Got serious in 72.

Went to every game in the 76 cup run. On crutches as I broke my leg in 75.

Must admit watching Saints over the last 3 years has been more like the old days. Really good fun!!

I was born in Gosport in 1953. Thankfully my family moved to Southampton before any lasting memories kicked in. Lived in Millbrook, Thornhill, Maybush, Lordshill and Woolston. Southampton is my home and I love it. Walking across the Itchen Bridge is hard going these days but it reminds me who I am.

I was not brought in a sporting family so I had to discover football for myself. I spent my teenage years kicking a ball around on "the field" in Thornhill. I had a friend called Mike who was not generally a good influence but he took me to a reserve game because it was free. I was hooked. I soon graduated to the big stuff and my first game was a 0-3 home defeat to Chelsea. It didn't matter. I started saving all my pocket money to go to the games and was happy to spend hours queuing to get the best spots in a chocolate box. I have seen the greats from Paine, Davies, Channon, Osgood, Ball, Williams, Shearer, Le Tissier, Bale and Lambert. We have been blessed with some great talent over the years. Matty was the great entertainer but Bally just made me purr with delight. What a leader and midfield general.

I have enjoyed the cup runs, the promotions, the relegation battles, the derbies, the highs, the lows. Apart from the awful Dutch years always punching above our weight.

I love this club.