Who are You?

pressingon

52 - originally from Southampton, but Gloucestershire for many years.

First home game - 5-1 win v Dundee, followed by (reality) a 2-0 home defeat in p!ssing rain at home to WBA the following week - 1969.

First away game - Reading "friendly" c1973, lost 2-0 ,

First league away game - Bristol City 1974, lost 2-0.

say "friendly" as most memorable thing to me as a youngster was watching the punch ups in Norfolk Road outside the ground, and on the terraces.

33, I've lived in Leeds for nearly 11 years now but from Winchester. 1st game I ever watched was at the dell vs Luton Town back in the 90s, remember that we were sitting on wooden benches and think we won 2 or 3 - 1, was ages ago so can't quite remember. It was either that or the ZDS final as our under 14s (I think) went up to watch it, was gutted when Scott Gemmill scored, gutted.

40 - Born and bred in Basingstoke (ain't I a lucky chap?).

First match was I think Saints v Millwall in The Milk Cup at The Dell in 1985. Can't remember much about it to be honest, apart from the post match stampede!

Spent three years in our arch rivals back yard while studying for my Media and Design degree at the University of Portsmouth. I can still remember the noise when the locals I'd become friends with found out who I supported while down the pub one evening. Luckily I survived that plus numerous run-ins with the 6.57 Crew, who just loved my grunge inspired long hair.

Now living in London with the missus and my three nippers, all of whom are Saints fans.

55 now, living in Romsey. STH in Northam with wife (who I met at Old Trafford) and 2 daughters.

First game at the Dell was 1967 Notts Forest won 2-1, hooked ever since; away was 1974 Charlton lost 4-0; been to 78 other grounds since then.

Car reg is GK 58 SFC, wife's is L60 SFC!

38, now living in Basingstoke.

First home game was opening game of 1986/87 Vs QPR (We won 5-1, Colin Clarke hat-trick)

First away game was 1985 Vs Arsenal (We lost 1-0, Eric Nixon played in goal, Shilton was injured).

Was a junior saint for 67/87 season, then Milton road (nearly always right behind the net) and more recent visits to St Mary's to sit wherever I can.

43 & spirited down under a few years back to Melbourne.

Can't remember the first game but it would have been late 70's or early 80's at the age or 9 or ten with my more daring cousin from Northam. We stood behind the goal in the Milton end where I took up residence for a few years after that.

The same cousin supported Arsenal as his nan lived round the corner from Highbury, so my first away was stood silently bricking it in the North Bank at 14. I think we lost 2-1 - obviously I never celebrated our goal.

Another 56 year old here.

First game, Wolves at the Dell 1962/63 high scoring game. Lived in Tenerife for 7 years but moved back to UK 3 years ago. Now reside in Kent but get to alot of the London games and some home games.

When going to London games I often bump into many Saints fans on the high speed train to London. I jump on at Ashford.

Lived all over soton in my youth and mum still lives in Lordswood.

Tenerife was a lonely place for a saints fan. I only came across 3 all the time I was there. The pkace is full of hammer fans/expats.

Forgot to add that my 1st school was St Marys which as you can guess is or was close to SMS.

Edited by Saint Billy

Live in Winnersh Berkshire, but grew up in North Baddesley and Fordingbridge amongst others.

First home game was v Leeds in October 1963. the Revie side on its way up to the First Division. 4-1 defeat.

First away game was v Bristol City at Ashton Gate in the Cup in Jan 1967. Never been so scared in my life. All those Wurzels sound alikes singing 'Drink up thy Ziderrrr' at the top of their voices under the covered end at Ashton Gate was a bit much for a nine year old.

Never had a season ticket, never will. Have always been and will always be a Saint

32, from Salisbury, first game was around the earliy 90's as a nipper with my dad, it was a loss to Leeds i remember that much. Normally in the kingsland stand as im too boring for the northam! (behave before anyone says and this forum! ;))

Reading through all the posts, I'm a newbie Saints fan compared to the majority on here. 52 y/o from Falkirk, Scotland and have been a Falkirk fan as long as I can remember.

My youngest daughter adopted Southampton as her English club and pestered me for years to take her to a Southampton game. I eventually took her to see Carlisle v Saints in League One and was hooked right away. Ever since then we have managed 14 - 15 games per season (mainly away games). First home game we managed was Leeds Utd in first game of the season in the Championship.

I don't know why she chose Southampton as her English team, I've often wondered if she had chosen some other side if I would have had shared her same passion to follow them all over the country. I'm just mighty glad she did!!

36, live near winchester. First game was home to Leicester in about 84, Steve Moran scored a late equaliser with a diving header I think (he's still my hero, well 2nd now after mlt), first away game was at Coventry, same season I think. Williams got sent off with Steve hunt possibly? Wish I'd gone to the home game that season, I think we won 8-2.

Which reminds me, I loved the way the vidi printer on grandstand used to write the number in letters when it was big ...

West brom 0 wolves 0

Saints 8 (eight) Coventry 2

as if to say yep, they really did score that many :)

Edited by Chewy

35. Born in Limerick, Ireland. Now living in Tipperary. IT Manager by day, crimefighting photographer by night.

Growing up, I only ever really started getting interested in football when MLT was in his pomp. And it all fell into place from there.

First game was losing 2-1 at home to Leicester in 2000, when Dean Richards got sent off. I won the tickets in a club competition! Was sitting a couple of rows in front of Beattie in the Dell.

There doesn't seem to be too many Irish Saints here, so I'll help out a little bit. (although i'm not really irish)

Born in Derby. 38 years old. every single year i have took abuse from all my mates, many of whom support the rams.

I think, and i say think because i was only 6, i started to support the saints because they had a stand out kit when every one else had plain red, blue, white or whatever. It was Keegan's Saints, but my favourite of the rank xerox crew was David Armstrong.

Living in Derby I could never get to a game on my own, but i remember visiting the squad training one year when holidaying on the Isle of Wight, just after Keegan had left. Big Mac was furious. Photos of me taking penalties at Shilton still held dear!

First home game opening game of 89 - 90 season, losing 2-1 to Millwall Ruddock scoring against old club

First away game stoke 84 drew 1-1

now living in ireland for a good few years where many of the locals support utd or pool, if not the two glasgow giants, i am proud to say my son is also a saints fan. i never made him, he just wasn't shown many other options! he will be going to his first game this year, his birthday is in october so hoping to get to a home game then. it will be my first trip back to St Marys since the 4-0 demolition of spurs in the magical cup run.

36, live in Manchester, grew up in Chandlers Ford, first game won 1-0 v Spurs at home in October 1984, first away game was Forest , probably '96. Had season ticket in East Stand and Kingsland from age of 7 until about 2005/06, don't anymore (since the kids appeared), rest of family still STH

44, live in Fair Oak and Boston

First home 1978 Birmingham won 1-0 (I think)

First away Brighton the following year can't remember the score, but remember mates brother lost me at the station, and two blokes with their kids took me home, paid my train fare and bought me a pie and a can of tab.

50 live in Ampfield

First home game, well if memory serves me correctly, against Spurs in around 1969. Stood at the Milton Road on a stool so I could see! Think we drew but cant remember. Went to many reserve games before that game.

First away match, can't remember exactly but definitely went to the semi final at Stamford Bridge on 3rd April 1976!

Had a season ticket since 1978, Under West Stand Terrace, then in the Milton Road terrace and then finally when there was no terrace left, Milton Road seats. Now in Itchen North.

42, living in Caversham, Berkshire. Born Wokingham into a family from Southampton. Can't remember my first home game but it was with my grandfather, aged about 4 (me not him) and my incredibly posh great aunt, who astonished by by yelling constant abuse at the ref and gave me a bun at half time.

It was said great aunt who gave me the earliest toy I can remember, a strange red and white striped plastic device which looked like the love child of toilet brush and a concertina. I was encouraged by my parents to amuse visiting saints-supporting relatives to make the bloody think squeak and lisp 'Up the Thaints'.

These days a combination of an excessive business travel schedule and daddy duty means I make it to less games than I would like. However I'm proud to report that after taking my daughter to her first game this season so can add a second entry:

Hannah, 6 born Reading, brought up so far in Caversham. Supported Saints all my life and was sung to sleep with OWTSGMI from day one. First home game v West Ham 2013, 1-1. Wildly excited and am told was the first person Daddy had ever seen stand up and start dancing along each time the crowd broke into song. First away game - not yet but it will probably come if we draw Reading or Wycombe in the cup.

42, living in Caversham, Berkshire. Born Wokingham into a family from Southampton. Can't remember my first home game but it was with my grandfather, aged about 4 (me not him) and my incredibly posh great aunt, who astonished by by yelling constant abuse at the ref and gave me a bun at half time.

It was said great aunt who gave me the earliest toy I can remember, a strange red and white striped plastic device which looked like the love child of toilet brush and a concertina. I was encouraged by my parents to amuse visiting saints-supporting relatives to make the bloody thing squeak and lisp 'Up the Thaints'.

These days a combination of an excessive business travel schedule and daddy duty means I make it to less games than I would like. However I'm proud to report that after taking my daughter to her first game this season so can add a second entry:

Hannah, 6 born Reading, brought up so far in Caversham. Supported Saints all my life and was sung to sleep with OWTSGMI from day one. First home game v West Ham 2013, 1-1. Wildly excited and am told was the first person Daddy had ever seen stand up and start dancing along each time the crowd broke into song. First away game - not yet but it will probably come if we draw Reading or Wycombe in the cup.

41, scientist, live in Hassocks near Brighton, born on Isle of Wight.

Fondly remember ferry journeys on Red Funnel from Cowes to go and watch the match.

First game was at the Dell against Ipswich, 1981. 1-3 down at half-time. 4-3 win at full-time. Brace from Armstong and goals from Moran and Keegan. Who could not be a lifelong fan after that!

Surprised at how many old codgers post on here!

39, live in Netley.

First match was against West Ham at the Dell in the early 80s but I don't remember a thing from the game probably because I could hardly see what was going on from down the front at the Milton. Earliest memory is watching Chicken George get pushed into the crowd, he was my favourite player because he was tall and black and looked funny.

First game away from Southampton was the 1986 FA cup Semi vs Liverpool at WHL. Was right down the front near where Wright broke his leg. Main memory apart from that is how Danny Wallace was constantly fouled and the ref doing nothing.

First proper away game was vs West Ham and all I remember from that game was there were loads of beach balls.

Surprised at how many old codgers post on here!

39, live in Netley.

First match was against West Ham at the Dell in the early 80s but I don't remember a thing from the game probably because I could hardly see what was going on from down the front at the Milton. Earliest memory is watching Chicken George get pushed into the crowd, he was my favourite player because he was tall and black and looked funny.

First game away from Southampton was the 1986 FA cup Semi vs Liverpool at WHL. Was right down the front near where Wright broke his leg. Main memory apart from that is how Danny Wallace was constantly fouled and the ref doing nothing.

First proper away game was vs West Ham and all I remember from that game was there were loads of beach balls.

39?!! Seriously?!! I thought you were about 17!!

Here goes DOB 18-9-65 , my first match watching saints was very possibly away down the road in skatesville with my late dad, but the one i remember was Mick Channons testimonial against I think it was QPR, I always remember all the scarfes out stretched, a mixture of red and white and yellow and blue, think it was 1977? someone correct me if im wrong :-)

Reading through all the posts, I'm a newbie Saints fan compared to the majority on here. 52 y/o from Falkirk, Scotland and have been a Falkirk fan as long as I can remember.

My youngest daughter adopted Southampton as her English club and pestered me for years to take her to a Southampton game. I eventually took her to see Carlisle v Saints in League One and was hooked right away. Ever since then we have managed 14 - 15 games per season (mainly away games). First home game we managed was Leeds Utd in first game of the season in the Championship.

I don't know why she chose Southampton as her English team, I've often wondered if she had chosen some other side if I would have had shared her same passion to follow them all over the country. I'm just mighty glad she did!!

I love this post ! fair play to your daughter for picking us when we were at our lowest ebb....

welcome to the family !

I'm 66 and my first game was away to Aldershot in 1955 - we lost 2 - 3!

My first home game was later that season - we lost to Norwich 2 - 5.

I eventually saw us win early the following season with a screamer from Jimmy Shields in the last few minutes (2 - 1 against Colchester). I can still picture the immense area of green and smell the pipe tobacco...

Here goes DOB 18-9-65 , my first match watching saints was very possibly away down the road in skatesville with my late dad, but the one i remember was Mick Channons testimonial against I think it was QPR, I always remember all the scarfes out stretched, a mixture of red and white and yellow and blue, think it was 1977? someone correct me if im wrong :-)

May 3rd 76 - 2 days after winning The Fa Cup. What great timing to arrange a testimonial.

Perhaps The Greatest Night at The Dell.

The whole ground was like this for the biggest You'll Never Walk Alone seen at The Dell.

milton.png

Ref (left hand side) unsurprisingly blowing the final whistle!! - but did the goal count?

dell76.jpg

Living in Sussex, 20 miles from Brighton but a decent drive along the A27/M27 doesn't take long to get to home games. Used to live in New Milton and work in Lymington which meant home friends tended to support Boscombe and work colleagues supported Saints. Fortunately, I'd already become a Saints' fan while I was still at school and always felt at home in Southampton, whereas Bournemouth is more like a foreign country. I was at The Dell for the first home game in a European competition, The Inter City Fairs Cup. Miserable wet night and we lost to a side from a remote part of Europe, known as Newcastle.

Nice pics Eric!

I'm 47, grew up in Soton (Merry Oak School, Itchen College) and have slummed it round the world ever since (Lausanne, Amsterdam, Port Moresby and now Nairobi). Did have a break last 2 years, back home in Totton and Woolston and managed to get to quite a few games on our rise up the leagues (against Forest in the Northam was a good one, Chelsea cup game was the only time I've ever thought about leaving early)... First paying game was probably quite late; think it was a Boxing Day game against Everton or Chelsea and mind-numbingly dull 0-0... Used to have family friends who owned one of the flats overlooking the Archers Road end so saw quite a few matches then in the winter (in the spring the trees blocked the view!)

I must have missed the original thread. I've just ploughed through it and I too am surprised at the ages displayed. I'm certainly not the oldest and can't go back as far as 1946 to see my first game. but it was in the 40's and against either Bury or Fulham in the old 2nd Div. I can remember Ian Black in goal for us, he shortly after went to Fulham. Bill Ellerington was my favourite player back then. Much clearer in my memory is the late 50's in Div 3 and the 60'sin Div 1/2, although I was hauled off to Australia to live by my Aussie wife in late '66 allowing only a limited exposure to top line football. I have been back several times over the years, each time visiting The Dell or SMS and will again, come September. Most memorable game has to be 3-1v Chelsea in Sep/Oct '72 one of those games we should never have got near them on the run of play. Saints have always been close to my heart and better than plastics I see elsewhere on my travels.

I'll be 72 this year,

May 3rd 76 - 2 days after winning The Fa Cup. What great timing to arrange a testimonial.

Perhaps The Greatest Night at The Dell.

The whole ground was like this for the biggest You'll Never Walk Alone seen at The Dell.

milton.png

Ref (left hand side) unsurprisingly blowing the final whistle!! - but did the goal count?

dell76.jpg

iF that happened these days the YNWA would have been clapped over at 1000000 MPH and then here would have been full of people "outraged" that we had sung a Liverpool song and the vile scum that ran onto the pitch blocking everyones view.

I was at The Dell for the first home game in a European competition, The Inter City Fairs Cup. Miserable wet night and we lost to a side from a remote part of Europe, known as Newcastle.

Wrong again, Prof.

Newcastle was in the 3rd round. We had already beaten Rosenborg and Victoria Guimaraes.