Brian McDermott being disrespectful

jasoneuelllfanclub

I always thought McDermott was down to earth honest guy and is obviously a very good manager, but my opinion of him has been somewhat lowered after he disrespected us by claiming his team were the best team in the league by a "long long way".

"Since the seventh game of the season we've been the best team in this division by a long, long way"

In my mind the table does not lie so come 28th April we will know who the best team was. Ok his team have been on an amazing run and have arguably been the better team since November however the only true indicator of which team being the best is by final league placing. Maybe he got lost in the moment due to the euphoria of getting promoted.

I reckon his words should be used as extra motivation to go on and win the league. No one can deny us being the best team should we do it and vice versa for reading.

What an utter c*nt!!! He should tell the truth and that is the table lies and that Saints are the greatest to have ever played association football and despite us only taking one point off them this season and being 3 points behind them in the table they can only dream of being as good as us.

Yeah, I saw this yesterday and am somewhat disappointed by the comment. Its smacks of unbelievable arrogance.

He may have a point from December onwards. We have still delivered the goods since then, and the fight for the title is not yet over, but for me I have this feeling of ocasional "mis-firing" and certain brittleness to our form.

But up until December we were the dogs b*ll*cks, and he isnt giving any credit at all to the teams around Reading, especially us. Not particularly magnanimous in victory, and a tell-tale sign of lacking class. I expect NAs comments to be better cultured should Reading go tits up in the last two games and we go past them.

I hope NA has pointed this comment out to the lads.

I thought we were (very) fortunate to scrape a point when we went to their place, and none will need reminding of what happened last Friday. So both the league table and the head-to-head record does suggest that they are the best team in this division - but only just. However they have benefited from the significant advantage of being a established Championship club, while we on the other hand have only just got here.

As we're accelerating faster than they are, next season we might well finish above them - just as we have outperformed Brighton this season. Time will tell of course.

Probably caught up in the euphoria, but I think we play more entertaining football, have scored more goals, and they have won a lot of games by the odd goal suggesting they keep it very tight. Good luck to them, but I think we deserve to win the league and believe on the last day we will.

He is right as far as results go from the 7th game of the season but the fact that the season doesn't start at game seven makes his comment a bit meaningless. If the criterion is quality of football, I prefer to see football the way Saints generally play it.

He might be being a bit insensitive for our poor little fans, but he's clearly right in what he says. After the 7th game of the season, when we beat Brum 4-1, we were 11 points clear of Reading. Therefore since then they've been 14 points better, that's clearly a lot better than us since that point in time.

I'd still argue we've been the best team over the course of the whole season, but I guess we'll find out next Saturday.

Incidentally Boro were 2nd at that time, 1 point behind us.

Reading have done well. It's exactly the same situation as we were in last year. Over the last 37 games they do have the best record - fact. And that is what he said, although I wouldn't agree with the "long, long way". After NA, Brian McDermott is the manager in the division for whom I have most respect.

I don't think anybody can question the credentials of a team that can put together a run of 15 wins in 17. Even Barca would be chuffed with that sort of run. But I do think they have ridden their luck at times during that run, so to say they are the best team by a loong, long way is a little disingenuous. Against West Ham recently they were woeful for the first half and very lucky not to be going into HT 3 or 4 goals behind, then again at SMS last week (I don't think we need to debate that one any more than we have already) it could have been a very different story if we had taken one or two of our chances before they got their first goal. Listening to Merson on SSN the other night, it sounded like they were very lucky to get the 3 points as Forest had a number of decent chances to equalise in the last 10 minutes.

None of this is sour grapes. I recognise that although we have been top for most of the season, we have at times misfired and not been at our best which has resulted in points dropped in games where perhaps we shouldn't have (Pompey x 2, Bristol City x 2 etc...) and fair play to Reading for capitlising on that in the way that West Ham perhaps should have but didn't.

But the fat lady ain't singing yet ;-)

He is factually correct though isn't he...they've collected more points than any other team within that period. I'd certainly argue that we have played far more attractive football but we won't know whether it has won us the league as well until about 2.30 on 28th.

I think if we do go up with them it's a victory for both style and substance

There's an argument to be had whether Reading have been the better side during the latter part of the season and I'll no doubt be discussing that with reasonable Reading fans in the local. They probably have the best 'keeper in the division together with a robust and fairly consistent central defence and that has served them well because they have often been under considerable pressure in games. Luck has certainly smiled on them this season and their own fans are happy to admit that. With their ability to be clinical in their finishing that possibly puts them very slightly ahead of Saints but I know who's football I'd rather watch.

But he said "top of the league" not "top of the form league". Reading have only just gone top, compared to us who've been top for ages spending the odd week here and there in second. Being the front runner is always the toughest because you're a target to be taken down and opposition managers will motivate their players in that way.

Ultimate, however, the table doesn't lie. The final standings will confirm who has been, on average, the best team in the league over the season. We might think that we'll do better in the Prem next season and played the better football but if they finish top they'll have been the best. But to say they've been best by a "long, long way" is over the top especially as it might still be us who get the title.

McDermott is obviously a talented manager but don't quite get why so many seem to like him. The bloke makes Steve Coppell look animated, even after getting promotion - his proudest achievement in football - he couldn't even manage a smile.

Give over, he's not being disrespectful to us at all.

What Reading have achieved this season is nothing short of unbelieveable. The past 3/4 seasons they've always ended up selling their best players, but seem to do better than before.

He was talking them up, not dissing us. Not saying I agree with him (as previous posters have mentioned, the table won't lie at the end of the season), but the run of form since their 7th game has been nothing short of amazing.

Anyway, don't worry about what other managers say, and focus on us. We could still win this league, and if West Ham don't beat Leicester, we're back to the promised land by 5pm Saturday.

COYS!!

Of course the irony being that this time year a lot of people were banging on about how great we were and much better than Brighton over the games since Adkins had been here. What disrespectful wan*ers we are!!

Disrespectful for sure....but as it turns out this season true

Though quite why saints fans expect everyone else to big us up I'm not sure....

I get all the point s raised here.... but

"we've been the best team in this division by a long, long way"?

No, sorry... That's ********. We've been top for longer than any other team, played breathtaking football at times, but are Reading a long, long way better than us?

Nope.

I can see why people are ****ed off, 3 points above us hardly substantiates his claims..

He's not being disrespectful at all. He's right.

After 7 games:

1 - Saints - 18 pts

13 - Reading - 7 pts

Now:

1 - Reading - 88 pts

2 - Saints - 85 pts

They've won 14 more points than us since then. He's not saying the season only started after 7 games, he's merely pointing out that they've gone on a bloody good run since then. He's not saying they've won the league yet- of course he knows they haven't. He's just indirectly stating that they got off to a slow start to the season, but have some back well since then, and are now top of the league...which suggests over the course of the season (so far) they have been best. I'm a firm believer that the table never lies.

I'm sure when we went on our amazing run at the end of last season Nigel said something along the lines of we'd been best since Christmas. Which we were. We were still runners up to Brighton though.

Anyway, lets not get upset about it. We're not up yet. They are. But we've still got a lot of hard work to do, and can still have a chance to prove to ourselves that we are better than them if we win our next two games.

We've been top for longer than any other team, played breathtaking football at times, but are Reading a long, long way better than us?

Nope.

I can see why people are ****ed off, 3 points above us hardly substantiates his claims..

Being top for longer than anyone else doesn't make you the best team. Being top after 46 games does, and hopefully that's where we'll be. But if they're still 3 points above us then, be gracious enough to recognise that they will have done better than us. And his claim is that, after the first 7 games, Reading have been the best team. You can argue that, but they've won the most points over that time, fact.

I think you need to take the interview in context. Obviously, the adrenalin will have been flowing in a big way and of course he is going to tell the media that his team have been fantastic since their early season slump and he is correct in that assumption. I think had he been interviewed the next day he may well have had a calmer outlook on the issue and given credit to other teams that have pushed them as well but that kind of thought is difficult immediately after securing such a big achievment.

I have always felt Brian McDermott to be an articulate and humble guy and I don't think his comments are arrogant at all. Whether he has got the comment best team by a long way right or wrong (that will differ depending on what you consider to be a big margin), there is no arguing that they have been the best team (based on results) for quite some time now. I think his comments were merely a statement that he felt his side had done extraordinarily well and he certainly wasn't suggesting everyone else is ****e!

As far as I am concerned, good luck to Reading, they deserve to be up based on their results. Theyre a decent team and worthy of their place at the top of the league but I'm almost certain he doesn't really think that his team is better than us by a long way and he certainly didn't single us out. He just got caught up in the emotion and adrenalin and maybe used words he might not usually choose given that. He also knows the league isn't won as I have not seen him say anywhere that his team will definitely go up as champions, although happy to be corrected on that one if anyone else has.

After 6 games they had 4 points, we had 15. So after that time they have scored 14 points more than us. Therefore I think it's fair that, if you discount the start to the season where they lost 4 games in a row, they are the most consistent and 'best' team in the league. They certainly seem to have avoided having the occasional horrendous performance like we have (Leicester, Blackpool, etc)

He's not being disrespectful at all. He's right.

After 7 games:

1 - Saints - 18 pts

13 - Reading - 7 pts

Now:

1 - Reading - 88 pts

2 - Saints - 85 pts

They've won 14 more points than us since then. He's not saying the season only started after 7 games, he's merely pointing out that they've gone on a bloody good run since then. He's not saying they've won the league yet- of course he knows they haven't. He's just indirectly stating that they got off to a slow start to the season, but have some back well since then, and are now top of the league...which suggests over the course of the season (so far) they have been best. I'm a firm believer that the table never lies.

I'm sure when we went on our amazing run at the end of last season Nigel said something along the lines of we'd been best since Christmas. Which we were. We were still runners up to Brighton though.

Anyway, lets not get upset about it. We're not up yet. They are. But we've still got a lot of hard work to do, and can still have a chance to prove to ourselves that we are better than them if we win our next two games.

People are not reading my OP properly. I was merely pointing out he was being disrespectful by saying his team were by "a long long way the best team". Factually he is right about reading being the best team and they are top of the league so currently they are the best team but my gripe is him insinuating they have been head and shoulders above anyone else which is complete ********. I suspect he was caught up in the moment and for me it only gives us extra motivation to go on and win the league as we can then factually claim to be the best team.

I think you need to take the interview in context. Obviously, the adrenalin will have been flowing in a big way and of course he is going to tell the media that his team have been fantastic since their early season slump and he is correct in that assumption.

Nope, he said this on several occasions over the last few weeks - bigging up his side IMHO, which he is entitled to do. Certainly he is factually correct in terms of consisten points accumulation - cant argue with that. But looking at how we play and their style, would rather 'watch' us - the style we play is always going to leave you more open to the smash and grab/sucker punch that we have suffered on more than one occasion this season as we can see, even Barcelaon can't win every game playing as they do... ;) ... and we are NOT Barcelona!

BUt when you add the fact that thy had last years experience in this div, and we were only just promoted, given that a) we could still win the league or b) the gap is likely to be quite small on the 28th, I can see why it sounds as if he was being disengenuous to us - I thought so at first, but in hindsight He started saying this in public 3 weeeks ago and guess it was a determined approach to encourage his side.

Anyway... they are all looking forward to their ne 'Russian' owners if they pass the FAPPT - the fact that its 'delayed' may tell its own story...

spot the difference:

Reading POTENTIAL new 'Russian' owner ' I have already been scouting for players'

Saints NEW owner (M Liebherr) joking:'We wont be buying Kaka'

a subtle but for my money important difference...

PS - Should we be kind and point them to the Pompey takeover saga thread - may get a few of them worried :D

Edited by Frank's cousin

If football were sex... I kinda see Reading as the missionary position with a long standing partner - cant argue that its good, effective and gets the job done and enjoyable. Saints are more like the Karma sutra - do it any which way you can, exciting and adventurous, much more enjoyable, but not every position is that comfortable but you gotta try it at least one.

If football were sex... I kinda see Reading as the missionary position with a long standing partner - cant argue that its good' date=' effective and gets the job done and enjoyable. Saints are more like the Karma sutra - do it any which way you can, exciting and adventurous, much more enjoyable, but not every position is that comfortable but you gotta try it at least one.[/quote']

:) That is truly the most bizarre analogy I've heard in a very long time. But so true.