Summer 2012 HCDAJFU Thread - Premier League Special Edition

Jimmy_D

bargain price. surprised no other club made acceptable bid thus far considering the low fee.

is it...you seen him play much..?

how on earth can you say that..?

maybe the price reflects well on him

He is a midfielder in his mid 20's, was playing for a poor side and was the 9th top scorer in La Liga last season. Even without seeing play, £1.5m looks very cheap.

is it...you seen him play much..?

how on earth can you say that..?

maybe the price reflects well on him

La Liga is a good league. He was the top scoring midfielder in it last season, and joint 9th top scorer overall. He is not old. If he is available for £1.7 (around €2 million) he is not at all expensive. It would be fair to conclude that even if he underperformed and ended up as a squad player for the likes of Swans or Saints that he would be regarded good value.

I see they're signing Chris Gunter as well...seem to be doing a lot of business do Reading.

So did Leicester and Ipswich last summer, but it did'nt help them too much come the end of the season

Edited by Foxstone

Lets be honest, if we had made the signings they have made so far we would be delighted.

they are certainly filling up their 25 man roster with some pretty solid signings. Feel that we do need to motor on with it a bit cos for me we'll have to rely on second string players who should be nowhere near a PL side at some time or other.

they are certainly filling up their 25 man roster with some pretty solid signings. Feel that we do need to motor on with it a bit cos for me we'll have to rely on second string players who should be nowhere near a PL side at some time or other.

But so are we:

Rodriguez and Davis are both Premiership class as would Clyne be if as expected he signs.

Additionally, our young players ( Shaw, JWP, Stephens, Chambers) look far better and have much more promise than any of their youngsters.

No need to worry.

We would definitely be happy if we'd done the business Reading had done. Bar Marriappa (who I'd have as a squad player) everyone they have signed would make our first team.

Whether I'd want them at the expense of squad unity/signing too many to destroy team spirit is another matter.

Happy with Jay Rod and Davis so far, but am getting slightly concerned with our lack of recent signings. We still need 4/5 more in my opinion and would have felt more comfortable having them in early.

If we don't sign anyone this week I'll start to become more worried.

Lets be honest, if we had made the signings they have made so far we would be delighted.

I wouldn't.

Says a lot that a team which - in their own opinion - thoroughly deserved the title and were the best team in our division last season immediately want to sign half a squad. Reading are a flawed club.

Quite a few average type players...Guthrie, McCleary, Mariappa, Gunter.

Pog was a goos signing, but there is nothing to be scared of and Jay, Steven Davies and if we get him Clyne, would be better than their business IMO.

pogrebnyak looks good.

the others are very average IMO

like who

who have they signed..?

Its a fair point lets look at the signings:

Pog V Jay = Jay longterm a better option, Pog probably better now.

Guthrie V Davis = Probably on a par. Davis shades it just for me.

McCleary = Not convinced he is more than a squad player

Gunter = Decent, but if we do sign Clyne, we have the better option

Mariappa = Not convinced he is more than a squad player

Clearly we need some action soon, but my bet is once the transfer window is closed, our business will be better than Readings.

All 5 of them are distinctly average. Mariappa has played over 200 games for Watford, if he really was prem quality he would have left Watford by now. Guthrie needs games to show what level he really is at, but didn't impress at Newcastle with plenty of squad space to claim the midfield as his own (before last season). McCleary and Gunter have both been champ players in a mess of a club, lots to prove but again have been around a while with little interest which makes me wonder what the point of them signing is (other than Readings champ team was a bit of a flash in the pan).

Finally Pavel Pogrebnyak is the very definition of a mercenary in football, quite clearly rates him self as the next biggest thing and should be on a club breaking wage because of it.

So honestly none of the signings Reading have made have been all that exciting and if they had been ours I doubt there would be any optimism to try and stay up at all. Rodriguez and Davis between them look much better/more sensible choices so far.

Okay im not one to panic with a month left to the window closing but i am growing concerned that our rivals are strengthing with quality and we can't seem to get deals done.

Swansea seem to have ideally agreed a deal for Michu...a player with the most assists in La Liga for £1.75 mill...a bargain...i have to admit that sounds significantly better than Davies on a free from Rangers. We have enough grunt in our central midfield but very little creation or goal threat and i can't beleive that Davis is going to be that man.

He was poor at Fulham and played in a mickey mouse league up north...#dissapointed

Now on to the lack of pace...i thought we needed at least 2 wingers, as Puncheon is not what we want and De Ridder couldn't cut it in the Prem...a month to go and nothing...

Seriously we need to stop making excuses for not getting deals done and get players in ASAP...

Reading have signed 7 already and they won the league...

2 keepers, 2 centre halves, 1 right back, 2 wingers needed...not gonna happen is it

Okay im not one to panic with a month left to the window closing but i am growing concerned that our rivals are strengthing with quality and we can't seem to get deals done.

Swansea seem to have ideally agreed a deal for Michu...a player with the most assists in La Liga for £1.75 mill...a bargain...i have to admit that sounds significantly better than Davies on a free from Rangers. We have enough grunt in our central midfield but very little creation or goal threat and i can't beleive that Davis is going to be that man.

He was poor at Fulham and played in a mickey mouse league up north...#dissapointed

Now on to the lack of pace...i thought we needed at least 2 wingers, as Puncheon is not what we want and De Ridder couldn't cut it in the Prem...a month to go and nothing...

Seriously we need to stop making excuses for not getting deals done and get players in ASAP...

2 keepers, 2 centre halves, 1 right back, 2 wingers needed...not gonna happen is it

I'd have to disagree with the first 6 words in that post.

Even if you're right, why does it matter that people on here are "making excuses". It's not like any of us can do anything about it.

And of course we will sign players before the deadline, you'd have to be an idiot to think otherwise.

that clearly is utter bollix

Davis got the 2nd highest amount of assists in the SPL last season.

Adkins has already been quoted - "we are after 1, possibly 2 goalkeepers. 1, possibly 2 centre backs. Maybe a full back".

Clyne > Gunter > Richardson

how do you come to that

richardson got 10 assists last season

Gunter got 4

butterfield got 2 to compare

richardson made 10 fouls and got 2 yellows

gunter made 23 Fouls, 6 yellows and 1 red

gunter played 44 games (2 of which were as sub)

richardson played 33 games (1 of which as sub)

all league stats

I really cannot fathom how anyone could say gunter is any better than richardson....he clearly is not

Surprised so many fed Dalek, quite clearly a windup merchant looking for bits. Not worth stressing yourselves over, he knows he's being stupid!

Readings business is 'Ok' - nothing special. They've added a decent striker, a solid CM and a couple of solid championship defenders.

If given the choice of Gunter or Clyne, i'd prefer Clyne because of his pace and ability on the ball - much better technical player. Jay Rodriguez or Pavel - you'd have to say Pavel as the PL experience and after his fulham stint he has the eye for premier league goals, but in Jay Rod we have signed talent and potential. I'm absolutely convinced that this kid will play for England, absolutely convinced. I think he's going to be that good.

Steve Davis or Guthrie....Steve Davis everyday. Guthrie isn't bad, but pretty average - nothing special tbh.

We've so far had an excellent window, we still have areas that are standing out as being very thin, but that will be addressed so don't fret yourselves over it.

Matty Phillips linked with Everton. Would sort our right mid problem out...

Good player, I think Evertons priority is Piennar though.

We do need a RM though, I'd imagine he's on our list, but I think Blackpool want silly money for him or Ince.

We need a right mid but I don't think we will get one. Adkins didn't mention it in his round up, we've not been linked to any and just given Guly a new contract

We were linked with Zaha and Guly isn't a right mid.

We need a right mid but I don't think we will get one. Adkins didn't mention it in his round up, we've not been linked to any and just given Guly a new contract

To be fair he wasn't asked directly. The reporter asked directly about GK and CB and he gave direct answers on those. I'd be very surprised if he wasn't looking for a right winger, that was a real weak area for us last year in terms of consistancy. It chopped and changed so much and none of our players had prolonged impacts in that positon.

Good player, I think Evertons priority is Piennar though.

We do need a RM though, I'd imagine he's on our list, but I think Blackpool want silly money for him or Ince.

I think we're going to be paying big money for any of our right wing options: Zaha / Jarvis / Phillips / Ince / Snodgrass

Tricky to pick the best one out of that lot.

I like the way everyone is demanding a right midfield player because they know for a FACT we are going to play a 4-4-2 formation next season so we must have a wide right player and he must have pace. I would suggest our strongest line up is in fact 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-3-2 with the players we have.