Summer 2012 HCDAJFU Thread - Premier League Special Edition

Jimmy_D

Probably us having another pop at Lens surely? I'm wondering whether we'll be in for a CB - it looks like Stephens has stepped up to the plate and he may be good enough until the January window? My own opinion is we do need another proven CB - perhaps Danns?

Danns is nowhere near worth the sum Blackburn wants for him - I reckon a surprise from the continent is in the offing..

Why are people saying 20 mil transfer budget is a huge sum?

It isn't.

Jeez only 6 weeks ago we were congratulating ourselves on making it to the PL and being GUARANTEED 60mil in this season and then a Guarantee of 4 years of PP's if we go back down again.

Investing only 1/3rd of our planned income to improve the probability of remaining in the division is pretty low.

Oh but I forgot, everyone on here knows transfer fees are all paid in cash in one go

Because Saints have never ever spent anywhere near that, I guess that is our Dell sized mentalities coming out again. Although one look at the recently promoted also shows few of them have spent anywhere near £20m either. it's great we are showing ambition and not just spending money but spending it on the right sort of players.

I have a feeling we may be seeing Clyne deployed as a right sided midfielder, especially away from home. I think it's the same ideology behind trying to sign Buttner - having wide players who can defend well to support the fullbacks.

away team could look like this.

-----------------Davis--------------------

Richardson---Fonte---Hooiveld--Fox

Cylne----Cork-----Davis-------Buttner

---------------Lallana--------------------

---------------Rodriguez----------------

I have a feeling we may be seeing Clyne deployed as a right sided midfielder, especially away from home. I think it's the same ideology behind trying to sign Buttner - having wide players who can defend well to support the fullbacks.

No Lambert? sure....

Itk_agent..... Where is Lambert?

Or that they are attacking full backs who can overlap a narrow midfield, no?

away team could look like

I think it more likely to be

Davis

Clyne Fonte Jos Fox

Cork Davis Morgan

Jay R Rickie Lee

Although it is possible two of the back four might change, and I am not sure where A L fits in

Davis

Clyne Fonte Jos Fox

Cork Davis Morgan

Jay R Rickie Lee

Although it is possible two of the back four might change, and I am not sure where A L fits in

Where you have put Lee.

Davis

Clyne Fonte Jos Fox

Cork Davis Morgan

Jay R Rickie Lee

Lallana fits in by being the first name on the teamsheet, he has to start every game as he is our best player.

Generally I think NA wants an adaptable 4-3-3 formation, that will mean Lambert as the loan striker, flanked up by Rodriguez and Lallana - who also cut in and join to make a proper front 3. There is then the support from the full backs who will get to the byline and put the ball onto one of their heads.

I'm nto sure NA is looking for an out and out winger, as he see's our full backs as being able to perform that sort of role, what he wants is adaptable players who can fit into many formations along the front line - this is where Guly comes into the fore, and also why we're looking at an attacking player such as Lens.

Davis

Clyne Fonte Jos Fox

Cork Davis Morgan

Jay R Rickie Lee

so you'd go 4-3-3 away to Chelsea/Man city/Man United?

No he probably wouldn't. It's an adaptable formation so your 2 supporting strikers, in this instance Jay R and Lee will push back to form a five-man midfield with Lambert leading the line.

Exactly this, people need to stop looking at it as a static 4-3-3 because it isn't. That's why we're deploying/and buying players who are comfortable in more than position - it helps tactical reshuffles during games and also allows you to deply very adaptable tactics. As i said above, Guly can do this pretty well.

No he probably wouldn't. It's an adaptable formation so your 2 supporting strikers, in this instance Jay R and Lee will push back to form a five-man midfield with Lambert leading the line.

I think Punch might be surprise package looking at how things have shaped up for him on pre season......

I think we could see Saint Armstrong's idea, with Punch/Lallana instead of Jrod and Lee. Perhaps Guly instead of Punch.

We seem to be lucky as we have a number of players who can play several positions. Even Chappers could fit in

Lallana fits in by being the first name on the teamsheet, he has to start every game as he is our best player.

Generally I think NA wants an adaptable 4-3-3 formation, that will mean Lambert as the loan striker, flanked up by Rodriguez and Lallana - who also cut in and join to make a proper front 3. There is then the support from the full backs who will get to the byline and put the ball onto one of their heads.

I'm nto sure NA is looking for an out and out winger, as he see's our full backs as being able to perform that sort of role, what he wants is adaptable players who can fit into many formations along the front line - this is where Guly comes into the fore, and also why we're looking at an attacking player such as Lens.

In the early part of last season Guly and LalLana came in from the flanks and switched positions very effectively. I think that sort of pattern will be repeated this season, just from higher up, so Jay R and Lee either side of Lambert. As you say Lambert is more likely to drop deep as he doesn't have the pace at this level to play on the shoulder. So if Rickie is deep, Adam is in the hole, they are going to fill their own space. That is why I chose Jay R and Lee who have the pace to trouble defenders at this level.

In the early part of last season Guly and LalLana came in from the flanks and switched positions very effectively. I think that sort of pattern will be repeated this season, just from higher up, so Jay R and Lee either side of Lambert. As you say Lambert is more likely to drop deep as he doesn't have the pace at this level to play on the shoulder. So if Rickie is deep, Adam is in the hole, they are going to fill their own space. That is why I chose Jay R and Lee who have the pace to trouble defenders at this level.

How many times!? You dont neccessarily need pace to trouble defenders at this level.....

How many times!? You dont neccessarily need pace to trouble defenders at this level.....

Pace is important in the PL, but I agree, it's silly to say that you cannot have an impact if you don't have pace. Modric isn't the quickest in terms of out and out pace, neither was Matt Jarvis and he did alright didn't he?

I think an injection of pace is important for us in the right areas, notably the full backs and CB.

I think we could see Saint Armstrong's idea, with Punch/Lallana instead of Jrod and Lee. Perhaps Guly instead of Punch.

We seem to be lucky as we have a number of players who can play several positions. Even Chappers could fit in

Lallana has played in the midfield 3 for both games so far according to the team sheets on the official site. Think it will be more of 4-2-3-1 with Morgan and Davis/Cork as the two with lallana playing in behind the striker. Be interesting to see how often we play Rodriguez and Lambert together. On the face of it they're fairly similar players...

I think JRod will be used instead of Lambert, he's more of a target man, Rickie comes too deep to play up front on his own away from home.

and fwiw, they were the first players that came into my head at that point

Lambert will play. He's our best player

Apparently we are going for a 4-3-3 formation for this season,obviously not every game tho.

Makes sense. 4-3-3 is very adaptable, it pretty much changes to 4-5-1 without possession and against the stronger teams.

It seems it will be a very similar style as we played when Pardew first arrived here. We used to play 4-5-1 very successfully and then change to 4-4-2 during games as and when required.

If played properly, we could easily mix it in the Prem with the standard of players we have but you have to question as to how Adkins is going to keep certain players happy such as Lee (when he comes back), Sharp (only one striker upfront) etc?

When Lee comes back, people are suggesting he plays on the left, so where does Lallana move to? CM? If so where does one of Cork, Davis, Schneiderlin, Guly, Chaplow etc play? Gets complex.

Very very difficult situation but I feel this 4-3-3/4-5-1/4-3-2-1 is definitely the way forward as the 2 'wide men' will often find themselves very central as Lambert will more often than not pull wide into the channels creating that space and the 3 constantly rotating. With the 3 CM's creating a solid foundation in the middle of the park, meaning if one bombs forward to link up, the 2 remaining ones come together and create a more traditional CM pairing. Look forward to seeing it *hopefully* come to fruition over the latter part of pre season and early on. Should become a very attractive brand of fluid, possession, attacking football!

Edited by itchen_dan

The main issue is that we do not get the 60mil now. It is mainly paid out at the end of the season based on tv appearances and position in the league. I wonder how much of Markus' 'No Debt' culture has rubbed off on NC? If its al ot, then maybe there will not be too many more expensive signings till the end of the season. Of course, that may well be too late!

I'm sure NC is quite happy with the idea of investment, especially when there is a minimum return guaranteed over such a short term, with the prospect of extra if we do well. He's already shown that with the investment in the infrastructure where returns are _not_ so straightforward. So as DP says, 20 out of 60 isn't much, and although it's difficult to account for wages we haven't spent that much yet as Davis and Gazzanigga were relatively cheap -and the latter almost certainly with staged payments as he's a long term prospect. Clyne didn't break the bank as he was nearly out of contract with Rodrigues being the only one to take a big bite out of the 20 [?] million. We've certainly got a couple of reasonably expensive signings left, even at the lower end of our forecast budget (and I don't mean Liverpool expensive...).

Probably us having another pop at Lens surely? I'm wondering whether we'll be in for a CB - it looks like Stephens has stepped up to the plate and he may be good enough until the January window? My own opinion is we do need another proven CB - perhaps Danns?

Danns is nowhere near worth the sum Blackburn wants for him - I reckon a surprise from the continent is in the offing..

Personally I'd rather go for Scott Dann the central defender rather than Neil Danns the central midfielder..... :)

Alan Nixon has just confirmed that he's not really following the Lens deal, so this isn't the one that will be featured in the paper later. The player he's chasing (that we have moved for apparently) will be a starter according to a latest tweet.

Nixon is usually pretty much there with the initial story (i.e target and fee) but I find he tends to lose his way a bit as the deals progress (i.e Everton in for Jay Rod, knew Davis was in talks but didn't know he'd even signed until was told), said Clyne would sign on the Friday but took until nearly a week later so will be interesting to know who the target is but don't read too much into timescale etc.

Nixon is usually pretty much there with the initial story (i.e target and fee) but I find he tends to lose his way a bit as the deals progress (i.e Everton in for Jay Rod, knew Davis was in talks but didn't know he'd even signed until was told), said Clyne would sign on the Friday but took until nearly a week later so will be interesting to know who the target is but don't read too much into timescale etc.

He isnt really in control of the timescale and everyone wants things to happen instantly. Main thing is he is reliable on when bids have been made. After that there are various reasons that transfers do or don't happen.

He isnt really in control of the timescale and everyone wants things to happen instantly. Main thing is he is reliable on when bids have been made. After that there are various reasons that transfers do or don't happen.

Yep. Must have some bloody good contacts.

Highly rated not long ago and on England fringe but has lost his way at the shambles that is Blackburn.

He was also reportedly close to joining Arsenal last year for £8m...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/8695059/Arsenal-open-talks-with-Birmingham-City-over-move-for-defender-Scott-Dann.html

And again in January 2012...

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12876/7425556/

Edited by Matthew Le God

Highly rated not long ago and on England fringe but has lost his way at the shambles that is Blackburn.

Anyone decent would lose their way at Blackburn, look at Pederson as an example. Obviously quality, but has been diluted by the ****ness of that club.

Their general opinion seems to be that Dann and Johnson were a partnership, and one with out the other was useless.

Their opinion is that the injury to Dann was the reason they got relegated, not because of his quality, but because of the partnership he had with Johnson.

They seem to think that if we have another solid, leading experienced CB here then he could slot in well alongside them. But he's apparently pretty slow and has the turning rate of a tanker.

Anyone know if he is any good? Thoughts from other fans?

I think he's a bit average to be honest. He looked very solid for Birmingham in possibly the most negative premier league team ever. It was 11 men behind the ball, defend very deep so that teams couldn't get in behind them and get Dann and Johnson to head balls away all day long. He then goes to Blackburn who were much more attack minded and got badly shown up at times i think, although the atmosphere there last season can't have helped.

I'm not a big fan of signing centre halves who have suffered two relegations in the previous two seasons. His confidence must be shot to pieces

Their general opinion seems to be that Dann and Johnson were a partnership, and one with out the other was useless.

Their opinion is that the injury to Dann was the reason they got relegated, not because of his quality, but because of the partnership he had with Johnson.

They seem to think that if we have another solid, leading experienced CB here then he could slot in well alongside them. But he's apparently pretty slow and has the turning rate of a tanker.

That isn't good to hear. The one attribute we don't need...