Summer 2012 HCDAJFU Thread - Premier League Special Edition

Jimmy_D

Surprised so many fed Dalek....

We've so far had an excellent window.

And you haven't?!

I mean come on...I'm not panicking and would imagine we'll sign more, but no-one in their right minds can claim "we've so far had an excellent window"! That's a stupid thing to say. We've signed one Championship proven young striker - nice. We've signed a good midfielder that has only really shown class in the SPL - OK. And...what? We've stalled in the signing of Buttner. We seemed to have lost out on Butland. If we sign Clyne - that's a good signing, but still only Championship experience.

Look - we've done OK - no more, no less. Let's just wait until the window closes before we start hailing it as excellent FFS!

I'm not panicking yet.

But if we don't sign anyone else between now and August 31st then we'll almost definitely go straight back down.

And at the moment everything is extremely quiet on the transfer front, I know that's the way Cortese/Nigel like it so I suppose I shouldn't expect to hear much but it's just bitterly dissappointing seeing Reading/QPR signing decent players left right and centre with negotiations only taking 1-2 weeks at most, and we can't sign someone until we've been in negotiations with them for 3-4 weeks at least, its just ridiculous.

Said the same thing last season and I'm in no doubt that if we'd signed 1/2 CBs and possibly an extra CMF this time last year we wouldn't of had the blips we had in November and January with our injury worries and finished the season as Champions rather than runners-up.

Seriously think the whole transfer policy/situation needs to be seriously looked at as there's no way a player's transfer should take 4-6 weeks every single time. Especially (in Buttner's case) 4 weeks after we agreed a few with his parent club, its ridiculous when Reading can knock out a deal in 1-2 weeks with ease, why can't we?!

Blackburn are in for Jamie Mackie, a name which came up on here a while back.

They're offering a fair bit of cash apparently, and Hoillet may be included. (coming from Alan Nixon on twitter)

Cash plus Hoilett for Mackie.... makes no sense.

More like QPR are being linked with Hoilett and Mackie may be used as a makeweight.

Blackburn are in for Jamie Mackie, a name which came up on here a while back.

They're offering a fair bit of cash apparently, and Hoillet may be included. (coming from Alan Nixon on twitter)

Mackie would be bloody good in the championship.

My QPR mate told me they were in for Hoilett. (He's also the one who really rates Mackie too)

Cash plus Hoilett for Mackie.... makes no sense.

More like QPR are being linked with Hoilett and Mackie may be used as a makeweight.

Yeah, that's probably exactly it but Nixon has it all a bit confused at the mo. I'd imagine it's cash for Hoilett and mackie included as you said (but they seem to be wanting to pay a fee for Mackie)

TDD, I don't understand why you rate him so highly, he's really not that great, we could do far better,

being player of the year in a premier league team is no mean feat..

I would suggest he would suit us to the ground.

scored big goals in big games last season...decent age and all that

I have seen him play loads over the years and he is very good

shame their manager is clueless.....well to be fair probably another of those "excellent coach" but no good as boss types that we know so much about !

There's too many of them about.

Wonder if Steve Clarke is about to fall into the same bracket?

Sky Sports understands Ipswich have agreed a deal with Watford to sign Scott Loach

He was highly rated at one point and part of an england setup IIRC, wonder why he's dropped off so quickly? They even brought a loan GK to replace him last year.

Sky Sports understands Ipswich have agreed a deal with Watford to sign Scott Loach

He was highly rated at one point and part of an england setup IIRC, wonder why he's dropped off so quickly? They even brought a loan GK to replace him last year.

Perhaps it went to his head a bit, can occur.

Tommy Forecast is an example of this believe it or not, at one point involved with England at youth level.

Perhaps it went to his head a bit, can occur.

Tommy Forecast is an example of this believe it or not, at one point involved with England at youth level.

To be faire to him, at one point he was very, very highly regarded as Spurs as a future England keeper, so something has gone horribly wrong somewhere.

Also on another note, Burnley have signed Joseph Mills.

Inzaghi is the scorer of one of my all-time favourite goals. Watch from 8:30 onwards to see distraught Cheats FC fans. S****** s******.......

Love the commentary when the goal goes in.

"The dream has died"

Sums them up.

That Milan team was world class... about 5 years before that game. The reality is that they would struggle to make 5th or 6th in the Prem with that team, hence they ended up in the Europa League to start with. Pompey fans talk as if that would have been their greatest ever win when actually it would be like drawing at home to Liverpool last season.

To be faire to him, at one point he was very, very highly regarded as Spurs as a future England keeper, so something has gone horribly wrong somewhere.

You have to wonder what the hell happened to him, if he really was considered such a prospect!

Wonder what always makes Saints signings take so long time? Zlatan today will completer his move from Milan to PSG and thats a €20mill move and he will be payed €13mill a year - and this all took one week to complete.....Saints are no way near the money and class of players (I will get slated for this comment I know) so why are all this taking so long time whenever Saints are involved?

Wonder what always makes Saints signings take so long time? Zlatan today will completer his move from Milan to PSG and thats a €20mill move and he will be payed €13mill a year - and this all took one week to complete.....Saints are no way near the money and class of players (I will get slated for this comment I know) so why are all this taking so long time whenever Saints are involved?

That is a huge assumption though. I would suggest that a hell of a lot of work went on before the interest was made public. It only seems to take a while with us once the media get involved, and after that we all seem to crave hourly updates.

At the end of the day we are careful and make sure no stone is unturned before confirming our side. Leave the media to jump the gun but don't blame saints for it, we do it correctly.

I'm not panicking yet.

But if we don't sign anyone else between now and August 31st then we'll almost definitely go straight back down.

And at the moment everything is extremely quiet on the transfer front, I know that's the way Cortese/Nigel like it so I suppose I shouldn't expect to hear much but it's just bitterly dissappointing seeing Reading/QPR signing decent players left right and centre with negotiations only taking 1-2 weeks at most, and we can't sign someone until we've been in negotiations with them for 3-4 weeks at least, its just ridiculous.

Said the same thing last season and I'm in no doubt that if we'd signed 1/2 CBs and possibly an extra CMF this time last year we wouldn't of had the blips we had in November and January with our injury worries and finished the season as Champions rather than runners-up.

Seriously think the whole transfer policy/situation needs to be seriously looked at as there's no way a player's transfer should take 4-6 weeks every single time. Especially (in Buttner's case) 4 weeks after we agreed a few with his parent club, its ridiculous when Reading can knock out a deal in 1-2 weeks with ease, why can't we?!

This post is riddled with inaccuracies and pure conjecture. For starters why are you only using QPR and Reading as benchmarks whilst conveniently ignoring the other teams we will be competing with? I wouldn't want most of the players they have signed. And how do you know how long transfers have been going on for at said clubs? Some of them could have been going on for weeks or months for all we know.

I wouldn't say that we are worse than other clubs at getting players in. We've made a couple of good signings with a few more to come. No one would dispute that we would struggle if we didn't sign anyone else, including the club so why the worry now? Just because we are not privy to everything which goes on and are not signing prem mercenaries left right and centre, doesn't mean that is happening.

Lastly, it's laughable how you just know that we wouldn't have had any blips if we had done exactly what you said last summer. The club need to sign you up by the sounds of it as your Internet mong board postings could have made us unbeatable last year by the sounds of it!

Also on another note, Burnley have signed Joseph Mills.

Tomb Raider addiction perhaps...that's what happened to Skatekeeper.

Time we started spending some of the £100 million we got for getting promo

Reading have offered £4m for Spurs full-back Kyle Naughton.

Norwich have a made a bid for £5m-rated Leeds midfielders Robert Snodgrass and are also interested in Hearts defender Andy Webster and Everton's Joseph Yobo.

Swansea have made a £1.7m bid for Rayo Vallecano's Michu who scored 15 goals last season.
Edited by Glasgow_Saint

I can't help feeling transfer deadline day has done much to increase people's expectations on how quickly deals can be done. On deadline day, there are supposedly helicopters flying all over the country dropping off players for last minute deals, giving a false indication of how quickly deals can be done, as desperate clubs try to recruit & players try to move on. During the rest of the window, that urgency isn't there meaning clubs & players are more patient & probably more choosy with targets/moves. The links to Clyne & Buttner seem to indicate we're trying to bring in new players just that, for one reason or another, its taking more time than the average impatient fan (me included) would like! I'm sure we'll see the new faces we need before the new season starts & would rather they were the right players rather than rushed buys just because someone is available.

Edited by Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

I can't help feeling transfer deadline day has done much to increase people's expectations on how quickly deals can be done. On deadline day' date=' there are supposedly helicopters flying all over the country dropping off players for last minute deals, giving a false indication of how quickly deals can be done, as desperate clubs try to recruit & players try to move on. During the rest of the window, that urgency isn't there meaning clubs & players are more patient & probably more choosy with targets/moves. The links to Clyne & Buttner seem to indicate we're trying to bring in new players just that, for one reason or another, its taking more time than the average impatient fan (me included) would like! I'm sure we'll see the new faces we need before the new season starts & would rather they were the right players rather than rushed buys just because someone is available.[/quote']

This is exactly it. Unless any of us have worked in football and know what it’s like to negotiate with agents and chairman, we are all clueless idiots when it comes to understanding the business side of football transfers.

Activity always heats up as the transfer window closes, which is why a lot is done on the very last day (including big deals, with big clubs and armies of suits)

No one wants to do it this way, but the system drives it. Up until that point there is a lot of positioning:

Players and agents delay, waiting to see if they can get a better offer.

Selling chairman delay to extract the best price or wait for other suitors.

Buying chairman want value (if they have any sense) and avoid being shafted just to get business done earlier.

Managers/Chairman won’t sell until they can be sure of a replacement and buying clubs get stuck in a chain.

It's a game and the ticking clock of the deadline is the only thing that can get it moving.

Saying we should get our business done early, is the most obvious point and to suggest NC & NA don’t know that is crazy. Paying over the odds for average players early in a window is even crazier. Much better to get deals for the right players after the season has started (if that’s what it takes) and not get shafted on the fee.

Some might argue, what if that increases our chance of relegation? Well for me so be it. I want a sustainable club which buys players we can afford. We gambled before and almost lost the whole thing.

It is quite a contrast between the way other clubs (e.g. Reading) can identify their targets and sign players quickly but the Saints continue to dither around. We are assured that people are 'working hard behind the scenes' Goodness knows what the outcome would be if they worked at normal speed or even slowly!

This is quite interesting and a number of theories can be expounded.

1. Are the people 'behind the scenes' not very good at arranging transfers?

2. Is there a real problem in attracting players to play for the Saints?

3. Do we not want to buy because we don't really have the transfer budget that the club would lead us to believe they have? (Yes, I know we bought J-Rod thanks)

4. Does Adkins just talk about transfers just to keep his squad motivated.

5. Why do we not 'move on' the dead wood like Harding Barnard, Hammond, Forte et al to make room for the new players?

6. Are Saints just unprofessional and will make last ditch buys from the pool of remaining players for sale just before kick off date or even afterwards!

For the record, I am not a panicking wet pussy just a fan who is perplexed.

(I will now await the personal attacks from the usual brigade on here - please mind your language - especially you dell days (you naughty girl!)

It is quite a contrast between the way other clubs (e.g. Reading) can identify their targets and sign players quickly but the Saints continue to dither around. We are assured that people are 'working hard behind the scenes' Goodness knows what the outcome would be if they worked at normal speed or even slowly!

This is quite interesting and a number of theories can be expounded.

1. Are the people 'behind the scenes' not very good at arranging transfers?

2. Is there a real problem in attracting players to play for the Saints?

3. Do we not want to buy because we don't really have the transfer budget that the club would lead us to believe they have? (Yes, I know we bought J-Rod thanks)

4. Does Adkins just talk about transfers just to keep his squad motivated.

5. Why do we not 'move on' the dead wood like Harding Barnard, Hammond, Forte et al to make room for the new players?

6. Are Saints just unprofessional and will make last ditch buys from the pool of remaining players for sale just before kick off date or even afterwards!

For the record, I am not a panicking wet pussy just a fan who is perplexed.

(I will now await the personal attacks from the usual brigade on here - please mind your language - especially you dell days (you naughty girl!)

please explain, how are we dithering around....really really would like to know

are man city dithering around, they have signed no one

are man utd dithering around..they have sign the grand total of two players

infact, not many in the top two league have signed more than 1 or 2 players

so please, how on earth are we dithering around......unless of course, you think we MISSED OUT on the great McLeary, the stunning Shorey and the mighty Sweeney...?

it really is like a reset button is pressed and no one ever remembers season past and just generally, how transfers generally play out