Summer 2012 HCDAJFU Thread - Premier League Special Edition

Jimmy_D

please explain, how are we dithering around....really really would like to know

are man city dithering around, they have signed no one

are man utd dithering around..they have sign the grand total of two players

infact, not many in the top two league have signed more than 1 or 2 players

so please, how on earth are we dithering around......unless of course, you think we MISSED OUT on the great McLeary, the stunning Shorey and the mighty Sweeney...?

it really is like a reset button is pressed and no one ever remembers season past and just generally, how transfers generally play out

With all due respect, I dont really know why you mention Man U and Man C - they already have squads brim full of premiership quality players so don't need to sign anybody! Are you saying we are in the same position!

Equally, no idea why you make reference to championship teams.

All I know is that we are already into pre-season traning and our back up goalie is a clown.

It is quite a contrast between the way other clubs (e.g. Reading) can identify their targets and sign players quickly but the Saints continue to dither around. We are assured that people are 'working hard behind the scenes' Goodness knows what the outcome would be if they worked at normal speed or even slowly!

This is quite interesting and a number of theories can be expounded.

1. Are the people 'behind the scenes' not very good at arranging transfers?

2. Is there a real problem in attracting players to play for the Saints?

3. Do we not want to buy because we don't really have the transfer budget that the club would lead us to believe they have? (Yes, I know we bought J-Rod thanks)

4. Does Adkins just talk about transfers just to keep his squad motivated.

5. Why do we not 'move on' the dead wood like Harding Barnard, Hammond, Forte et al to make room for the new players?

6. Are Saints just unprofessional and will make last ditch buys from the pool of remaining players for sale just before kick off date or even afterwards!

For the record, I am not a panicking wet pussy just a fan who is perplexed.

(I will now await the personal attacks from the usual brigade on here - please mind your language - especially you dell days (you naughty girl!)

Its the teams that rush through transfers that are more likely to over pay on transfer fees, signing on fees, agents fees and player wages. The art of business is to negotiate, stand your ground and serve right by your employer. some we lose (and we have definitely missed on targets in the past) and some we gain. Surely the ones we gain are the worthwhile ones as the player see's past just the money on offer and wants to be climb aboard the bus.

i as a supporter much rather we sign 4 quality players who have bought into the vision and ambition of the club rather than sign 6-7 players who are after a big pay day.

I think we'd be the perfect club for De Bryune, play decent football, lots of techinical ability in the squad, he would add another dimension to us as well.

Yes, and he would get regular starts you would think. Reading McEacheran's comments today re his Swansea loan which was pretty pointless then I think that is the key point for Chelsea and the player.

It is quite a contrast between the way other clubs (e.g. Reading) can identify their targets and sign players quickly but the Saints continue to dither around. We are assured that people are 'working hard behind the scenes' Goodness knows what the outcome would be if they worked at normal speed or even slowly!

3. Do we not want to buy because we don't really have the transfer budget that the club would lead us to believe they have? (Yes, I know we bought J-Rod thanks)

5. Why do we not 'move on' the dead wood like Harding Barnard, Hammond, Forte et al to make room for the new players?

6. Are Saints just unprofessional and will make last ditch buys from the pool of remaining players for sale just before kick off date or even afterwards!

(I will now await the personal attacks from the usual brigade on here - please mind your language - especially you dell days (you naughty girl!)

You put such a simplistic spin on it, when it's not the case.

Is it easy to move on deadwood? What if there aren't any takers?

There isn't a problem attracting players either, we just do it properly, and in that I mean we check out every single part of a potential player. What we don't want to be left with are flops that aren't the right characters, don't integrate well, and aren't very good etc.

I'm quite relaxed about what we're doing because I know we're in good hands. Seriously, just relax because we know what we need and we're not going to go into the start of the season without that sorted.

I'm also of the opinion that we are after a much higher calibre of player than reading, and deals like that are always a little trickier to push through because of other interest.

Sarcasm - lowest form of wit!

It really isn't. Bad puns, for example, are far worse, as are Skacel jokes and the hackneyed rejoinders.

Anyway, capitalsaint's point is well made. We don't know how many signings are in progress, or what that progress is. We're just a bunch of whinging forum bellends.

Why do people assume all rumours involving other clubs are true and transfers will be sorted, but when it comes to saints it's nonsense and all deals are clearly dead?

There's a month to go, chill out and read a book or something.

Love the fact these two posts were made at exactly the same time!!

Who knows. There are so many reasons why transfers don't happen. If you are aiming high then your choices become limited. Budgets will play a major factor. If you are trying to get a guy for a million and the seller won't go lower than 2 million, then your hands are tied. Maybe our negotiators have been absolutely fantastic. Perhaps we have got pretty everyone we wanted and all on budget. Who knows? If we are offering 2million when the seller only wants 1 million and we still don't manage to buy the player, then we have a problem!

we will always have a problem attracting the very best players. We are not the biggest fish in either prestige or monetary terms. We our down the pecking order but we want to buy the best. That doesn't work, so naturally it will always be tough going. Money talks, but hopefully now we have reached the top level we will no longer spend more than we earn.

Not sure the club has ever lead us to believe anything regarding transfer budget. The fact is we went £20m into debt in terms of transfers and wages to get us into the division, so the owners have shown great ambition. Now we are in the top flight the money is there and we are spending it. Transfer fees are just one part. the wage bill has to be covered too.

Not sure Adkins `talks' about transfers. He tends to be asked questions and he gives realistic answers. All managers want the best players at their disposal and that means bringing in better than you have. he merely says we'll continue to improve the club. It's not a motivating tool if that's what you mean.

We were massive massive wage payers in league 1. We paid Championship size wages. Promotion increased wages, and promotion again has done the same. Potentially therefore in Forte's case have a league 1 player on top enbd Championship wages. With that in mind the players wants to stay, get a chance to play in the prem. he doesn't want to leave. If he does he doesn't want to take a pay cut. Do you pay a percentage of their wages? Not easy to get rid of unwanted players unless you are willing to take a big loss. For any manager/chairman that is hard to swallow. See Man City and their wealth of talent they have found incredibly hard to shift. We are like that but on a smaller scale.

Anything but. We seem to be all about lots of research and extensive scouting, interviews and long term contact. Rodriguez wasn't last minute. He was watched a lot through the season. Why would you think we would do that for him but not for others?

But I thought that saints were different from other clubs and we didn't hear about signings until they were on the OS? How come we have heard about all three of our signings so far ages before they actually signed? Weird.

I think that's a nice aspiration from us, and probably achievable in the lower leagues where less notice is taken of transfers, but once you reach the upper echelons, all hell breaks loose and secrets are rarely kept. The trouble is, into that mix, comes all the BS, wannabes and misinformation and for us fans there's no way for us to separate the wheat from the chaff!

I think that's a nice aspiration from us' date=' and[b'] probably achievable in the lower leagues [/b]where less notice is taken of transfers, but once you reach the upper echelons, all hell breaks loose and secrets are rarely kept. The trouble is, into that mix, comes all the BS, wannabes and misinformation and for us fans there's no way for us to separate the wheat from the chaff!

Tell that to Dickson, Lambert, Fox, Fonte and Cork to name a few. It's a myth.

But I thought that saints were different from other clubs and we didn't hear about signings until they were on the OS? How come we have heard about all three of our signings so far ages before they actually signed? Weird.

again, all the guff about "NC will probably pull out now it is made public"...is intact, GUFF

Dullest troll on here. At least Turkish and Dalek (sometimes) put some effort in.

Now we're in the Premier League we will be subject to more attention, therefore keeping things like this underwraps will be more of a challenge.

Despite best efforts it may be possible that we now realise that keeping our dealings under wraps isn't always going to be possible.

Now we're in the Premier League we will be subject to more attention, therefore keeping things like this underwraps will be more of a challenge.

Despite best efforts it may be possible that we now realise that keeping our dealings under wraps isn't always going to be possible.

It was the same in the championship and league one. The idea that all of our signings have been under wraps until they are revealed is a myth. In actual fact it is the opposite and the majority have been known about ages before.

anyone else think we may give RM a bash this season with Puncheon and De Ridder..?

I think that may be the case until jan at least

on another note, west ham sign another striker.....why do they do that..?

Possibly. Personally I would still be a bit nervous if that were the case as we still badly lack pace on more advanced positions.

Possibly. Personally I would still be a bit nervous if that were the case as we still badly lack pace on more advanced positions.

puncheon is quick isn't he..?

lee is quick

rodriguez..?

de ridder is definitely quick...

clyne is obviously quick

be nice to get a decent CB who is quick off the mark

anyone else think we may give RM a bash this season with Puncheon and De Ridder..?

I think that may be the case until jan at least

on another note, west ham sign another striker.....why do they do that..?

Think we'll get bashed apart if that happens, don't see De Ridder being a 90 minute RM, and Punch, well he's Dumb.

puncheon is quick isn't he..? Huge doubts about his ability to play in the prem and his temperament

lee is quick Yep but not a mdfielder. Still lack pace there and possibly Lee will not be a starter.

rodriguez..? According to Burnley fans he isn't slow but not known for his pace

de ridder is definitely quick.. But again probably not a prem player.

clyne is obviously quick A full back.

I think a quick midfielder would be really useful to have as another option.

I don't think RM is the ultra priority, but I think it's important we address it before the end of the window. It was a bit of an iffy position for us last year.

Yes it was and it becomes a more urgent issue in the prem. It was the only position last year that I felt we weren't really strong.

Yes it was and it becomes a more urgent issue in the prem. It was the only position last year that I felt we weren't really strong.

It was a bit mix and matched all season. Players had decent spells there (Guly, Chaplow, De Ridder) but no one made it their own, and I wouldn't fancy Guly or Chaplow to have the same short-term impact in the premier league. We need a clyne-style signing for RM IMO, but I'm sure we're working on it.

It was a bit mix and matched all season. Players had decent spells there (Guly, Chaplow, De Ridder) but no one made it their own, and I wouldn't fancy Guly or Chaplow to have the same short-term impact in the premier league. We need a clyne-style signing for RM IMO, but I'm sure we're working on it.

Yes I agree. I was just saying that because delldays didn't think it was that important.

He wasn't ever that bad for us, but we flew past him so quickly before he could contemplate catching up.

Looks to be becoming a bit of a journeyman though.

Yeah, agreed. Became a bit of a utility player, I seem to remember him being a DMC back when he was captain of the U18's... Then seemed to become a victim of his own versatility.

I can remember him whipping in a few lovely crosses in his break-through season with us.

puncheon is quick isn't he..?

lee is quick

rodriguez..?

de ridder is definitely quick...

clyne is obviously quick

Puncheon is not quick, neither is Rodriguez. I'm not sure Lee is overly pacey to be honest.

Puncheon won't play. He's toss anyway. Ok, better for other clubs than us, but even then, inconsistent. Don't judge him on Blackpool. Not unless you'd like us to sign Gary Taylor-Fletcher too. They were so attacking, the forward players were going to get plenty of chances. Suited Puncheon, no chasing back, little work off the ball. No surprise people like DJ Campbell haven't done much since. It's the opposite effect of defenders looking good under McLeish.

If puncheon isn't going to play, why is he not training with the development squad along with Dickson, Barnard and Forte?