Olympic games

Thedelldays

I'm not. NBC will completely screw that up too, just like the opening ceremony. Just like the rest of the games, they held the live event and screened an edited abortion at prime time. They reduced the Industrial revolution scene to about 4-5 minutes, and replace the 7/7 tribute with the host of American Idol interviewing Michael Phelps (Yet again) The rest of the poorly edited ceremony was narrated by two people who seemed to have thrown away their notes and just wittered on with no context of what they were seeing. Needless to say, almost everyone in the US thought the ceremony was crap.

LOL! Glad you were able to hook up a proxy for iPlayer. I'm thankfully in Blighty right now, soaking up the Beeb's proper coverage.

Let me know if you want a copy of the BBC opening ceremony, I had to download it after watching NBC's abortion of it a couple of weeks ago. Even their studio work from so-called professionals has been cringeworthy and utter poo.

Been fruitlessly trying for Olympic park event/access tix these last few days. No luck. Am going into London tomorrow anyway and will go to Statford and hopefully get some nice vantage points of the park. Might head down to Hyde park for Mo's attempt at the 5000 too. Got to make the most of this glorious weather while I can.

Lutalo Muhammad wins bronze in taekwondo.

Very pleased for the lad, the Aaron Cook farce is not his fault, it his sporting body's fault.

Lutalo has done his best under intense scrutiny and medalled. Well done.

Aaron Cook was on Radio 5 this morning at first you felt sorry for him, but after 5 minutes of listening to him I really did start to get bored with his rational, and ended up thinking: you are not a superstar in a mainstream sport enjoy the cold outside as you peer in through the window.

Aaron Cook was on Radio 5 this morning at first you felt sorry for him, but after 5 minutes of listening to him I really did start to get bored with his rational, and ended up thinking: you are not a superstar in a mainstream sport enjoy the cold outside as you peer in through the window.

I understand Cook's resentment completely. He felt GB Taekwando's training programme was awful and decided to train outside of it. He got the results, they didnt so they stopped selecting him for what can only be described as a mixture of revenge and jealousy.

There are ways to communicate this though, and I get the impression from what you have written that he came across as a billy big-b*ll*cks, which shows a lack of class, especially on the day the poor sod thrown into the middle of this sh*t-storm has to fight.

Have to say that this Olympics has been absolutely stunning! I think the last one I really enjoyed was Barca 1992 with Linford Christie and probably in Sydney 2000 with Sir Steve getting his gold.

This one really does feel to have been truly special; I'm not sure if it's because Team GB have been so successful or because the BBC have done a cracking job, but I really have been glued to the TV 24/7 and working from home for the last 2 weeks has enabled me to tune in to the medal winning moments in between working.

I went last Thursday to the swimming and the Olympic Park was absolutely amazing too - such a good atmosphere - I really do wish my normal commute to London was that cheerful, I think the normal commuters can learn a lot from the Olympic visitors who have enjoyed everything, including (it appears) the rammed tubes!!

Stunning Olympics, so well organised, security (army at the park) brilliant (airport staff can learn a lot from these guys!!), park amazing, venues amazing, BBC really good and Team GB absolutely fantastic ... I honestly think I'll never see GB win that many medals again in my lifetime, amazing!

Have to say that this Olympics has been absolutely stunning! I think the last one I really enjoyed was Barca 1992 with Linford Christie and probably in Sydney 2000 with Sir Steve getting his gold.

This one really does feel to have been truly special; I'm not sure if it's because Team GB have been so successful or because the BBC have done a cracking job, but I really have been glued to the TV 24/7 and working from home for the last 2 weeks has enabled me to tune in to the medal winning moments in between working.

I went last Thursday to the swimming and the Olympic Park was absolutely amazing too - such a good atmosphere - I really do wish my normal commute to London was that cheerful, I think the normal commuters can learn a lot from the Olympic visitors who have enjoyed everything, including (it appears) the rammed tubes!!

Stunning Olympics, so well organised, security (army at the park) brilliant (airport staff can learn a lot from these guys!!), park amazing, venues amazing, BBC really good and Team GB absolutely fantastic ... I honestly think I'll never see GB win that many medals again in my lifetime, amazing!

Can't argue with this.

We didn't get park tickets (came close 3 times on the resale bun fight) but did already had tickets for Greco- Roman Wrestling at Excel so got to feel a part of it. Being a bit fuzzy on the DLR help with a smile from LT staff was a pleasure, Games Makers were all very chatty and helpful, again with a smile.

We went up to Westfield so my Girls could have a glimpse of all the doings in the main park, the crowds were immense but everyone were cheerful and it wasn't a chore again the Games Makers were punting everyone in the right direction with a smile, Westfield was amazing in itself as there were so many competitors and support staff in team uniform shopping for Souvenirs and allsorts alongside you.

Gettng in and out in Excel was so smooth, in fact when we came out of our event just about every other event at Excel was finishing too, and if you know Excel the centre corridor was a sea of thousands of faces, my heart sank at the thought of the scrum for getting onto the DLR away from Excel but within minutes we were out and sat on train.

I think many folks feared the worse when we got the games, but impressive medal haul aside, with 2 days left I think we have pulled the Rabbit out of the hat and put some of the Great back into Britain.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/londonspy/olympic-officials-miss-world-record-holder-hammer-throw-213703159.html

Oops

:lol:

How embarrassing.

All the officials missed the World Record Holder's throw in the Hammer final last night

I liked this line from the comments at the bottom of the article:

Plymouth was cheering their favourite son very loudly last night

They really do love him here

I really hope he gets a medal. He deserves it. I think the Gold and Silver might be out of his reach, but I think he is definitely capable of a bronze to be the best non-Chinese diver. Fingers crossed!

What is it with the yanks

First the swimming coach

Now Carl Lewis is suggesting the Jamaica sprint team are a bit dodgy

You mean the same Carl Lewis who failed multiple drugs tests in the 80s which the US Olympic Committee turned a blind eye to?

I'd also be interested on his opinion regarding the US 4x100m ladies relay team, who smashed the 17 year old world record by half a second the other night. This world record being previously held by the East German team from the mid 80s, and it's long since been public knowledge they were drugged up to their eyeballs on steroids.

You mean the same Carl Lewis who failed multiple drugs tests in the 80s which the US Olympic Committee turned a blind eye to?

I'd also be interested on his opinion regarding the US 4x100m ladies relay team, who smashed the 17 year old world record by half a second the other night. This world record being previously held by the East German team from the mid 80s, and it's long since been public knowledge they were drugged up to their eyeballs on steroids.

I thought all winners were routinely tested after the event - aren't they?

Plymouth was cheering their favourite son very loudly last night

They really do love him here

If he doesn't win a medal then the hype over him has been ridiculous. Before the games some coaches were suggesting that he wasn't training as much as he should. I guess we shall see...

I would imagine the problem is that there are certain substances that are undetectable. Dopers are always one step ahead.

It's hardly coincidence that most these days get caught for banned diuretics, which they take to flush the offending substances out of their system

I think(in athletics) the top 5 in every event get tested plus 2 random others. And that the samples are kept for 8 years and looked at again and again if any advancements are made. I think that's why people often get caught many years afterwards as the authorities catch up with the cheats.

I thought all winners were routinely tested after the event - aren't they?

In the 70s and 80s everyone knew the East German athletes were juiced up on steroids but the problem was the IOC didn't have the technology to prove it back then, and had no legal grounds to disqualify them. Some of the female athletes were even starting to grow moustaches and one female shot putter was pumped with so much steroids she had to have a sex change in later life. The technology only advanced sufficiently just before the Berlin Wall came down, and this is what caught Ben Johnson out in '88. Some of the ex-East German athletes have since tried to sue the company who supplied the drugs.

It's also a well know fact Carl Lewis failed 3 drugs tests (and he wasn't the only US athlete) shortly before the '88 Olympics and the US team turned a blind eye, letting him compete anyway.

I don't expect the US female relay team are on drugs for one moment but it's incredibly ironic how individuals from the US make allegations about other countries drug testing procedures as a result of other countries incredible performances then don't wish to comment when members of their own team start smashing world records. Fair play to Usain Bolt for saying what he thinks.

I don't expect the US female relay team are on drugs for one moment but it's incredibly ironic how individuals from the US make allegations about other countries drug testing procedures as a result of other countries incredible performances then don't wish to comment when members of their own team start smashing world records. Fair play to Usain Bolt for saying what he thinks.

They still speak on TV here about Florence Griffith-Joyner with great fondness as if she was never a doper.

That was amazing! I was screaming at the TV - what a man!

Was in the pub with Positivepete who was on a quick stopover (Hi Brizzie Saints!) ll very calm and collected -no commentary because the pub was packed....

Kept cutting to Javelin every so often.

And then THAT last lap...

Jeez EVERYONE was screaming at the TV's it was astonishing.

Wow.

Like I said earlier in the thread SPOTY - how the hell do you lot choose now

Why didn't Daley do a harder dive and go for the gold???

I didn't know this until tonight but it seems they have 6 set dives but they can choose the order they do them in. The gold and silver medals went to the guys who did their most difficult dives last whereas he'd done the most difficult one earlier.

Posted this on another thread but thought I'd add it here too.

Bought a ticket for Saints tonight but didn't use it as I was in the Olympic Stadium.

I've been to many sporting events, hundreds of football matches and none of them came even close to the exhilaration and excitement of 80,000 people cheering one person to get across the finishing line. Absolutely breathtaking. Footballers need to learn a lesson about what it is to be a sporting hero.

I have had a fantastic day at the Olympics today. I arrived there at 11am this morning and left after the last medal ceremony. No problems with transport, no mega queues, when there were queues they moved quickly, all staff and volunteers were fantastic and friendly, leaving the stadium and the park went straight out to Stratford station and straight on a Jubilee line train and home (I live in central London)....if I was at Wembley I'd still be stuck on Wembley Way!

Well done everyone involved with London 2012 what a massive success from start to finish.