25 Man Squad

Over land and sea

You're missing that we haven't named 3 goalkeepers in the 25, we can only name 22 outfielders. And we have. Plus Kelvin, equals 23.

So arguably, yes, we could sign Del Piero. But we'd have to play him in goal.

Got it, so gazzaniga doesn't count as one of our goalkeepers cos he's under 21? Which means the only option is to cancel jonno quick's contract if we want to sign another player.... hmmm, toughie that

Got it, so gazzaniga doesn't count as one of our goalkeepers cos he's under 21? Which means the only option is to cancel jonno quick's contract if we want to sign another player.... hmmm, toughie that

Think it is too late to chop Jonno.

Anyone spotted Craig Gordon in the De Vere or looking at Matin O'Neil's house in Winchester?

First bit, correct, second bit, not sure about that as we've named him already ! It's probably in the rules somewhere but they're pretty tedious reading.

Flyer confirmed the 3 keepers thing a few weeks back (and above). I just spotted Yoshida on the OS, strange we haven't added Ramirez yet. Logically Cropper would be 31 based on last year's numbers, but it's not like it matters much and Gazzaniga having 12 messed up that particular numbering system.

To answer the "Bosman" thing, my understanding is that if they're not in the squad by 4pm, they can't play before January 1st.

Still not sure about this 3 GKs rule. I know there is a link to a BBC article about this (which is now broken by the way) but there is no mention of it in the Premier League stuff. We have listed at least 3 keepers (even though Cody has come a Cropper) its just that 2 of them are u21 so don't fill squad places. Not saying you are wrong on this, but it seems odd that the PL does not mention it and the only reference was a BBC article which has been removed.

Can't think which player Stoke may be seeking to add to the list. Would be funny if the PL said no.

I thought it smelt like bull too! But what I done was check through everyones squads from last year and in every case where they had less than 3 overage keepers they named less than the full 25 man squad. I concluded that Flyer, despite being a dancing queen, knows his wotsits!

I thought it smelt like bull too! But what I done was check through everyones squads from last year and in every case where they had less than 3 overage keepers they named less than the full 25 man squad. I concluded that Flyer, despite being a dancing queen, knows his wotsits!

I already did that a month ago, and I can conclude that you are a loser. :)

Too.

Still not sure about this 3 GKs rule. I know there is a link to a BBC article about this (which is now broken by the way) but there is no mention of it in the Premier League stuff. We have listed at least 3 keepers (even though Cody has come a Cropper) its just that 2 of them are u21 so don't fill squad places. Not saying you are wrong on this, but it seems odd that the PL does not mention it and the only reference was a BBC article which has been removed.

Can't think which player Stoke may be seeking to add to the list. Would be funny if the PL said no.

I've only got what Flyer said, and doing what Bearsy just did last month, but it all adds up. Agreed that I haven't seen it stated anywhere in the rules though.

http://www.premierleague.com/content/dam/premierleague/site-content/News/publications/squad-lists/Squad-Lists-September-2012.pdf

Pl squad lists, all complete except Stoke who are waiting for a ruling on Owen? We had two spaces left. This list resolves the regular discussions on who is home grown (Morgan) and under 21 (Clyne)

Edited by positivepete

http://www.premierleague.com/content/dam/premierleague/site-content/News/publications/squad-lists/Squad-Lists-September-2012.pdf

Pl squad lists, all complete except Stoke who are waiting for a ruling on Owen? We had two spaces left. This list resolves the regular discussions on who is home grown (Morgan) and under 21 (Clyne)

Erm, already linked. Our 2 spaces are due to not having 3 over-21 GKs.

I've only got what Flyer said, and doing what Bearsy just did last month, but it all adds up. Agreed that I haven't seen it stated anywhere in the rules though.

As far as I can tell Norwich have named a full 25 players but only 2 GKs, Ruddy & Bunn. Looks like the one team where this rule does not seem to have been applied. They have 2 other keepers on their web site, Rudd and Steer, but neither is in the list of 25, both in the u21 list. Maybe Norwich have ****ed up?

As far as I can tell Norwich have named a full 25 players but only 2 GKs, Ruddy & Bunn. Looks like the one team where this rule does not seem to have been applied. They have 2 other keepers on their web site, Rudd and Steer, but neither is in the list of 25, both in the u21 list. Maybe Norwich have ****ed up?

I can confirm that Norwich have done what you've said. It remains to be seen if this is within the rules, but it certainly contradicts what Flyer said - and also implies Saints might actually have free slots in the squad for free agents.

Nice of the OS to confirm that we are able to recall any of our "season long" loanees in January though.

Omitting Cody Cropper from the list looks to be a bit of co*k up to me. Hope that's not going to come back to haunt us. Assuming an error, wouldn't like to be the person to break the news to NC (or the person who made the mistake)!

That's what I thought too.

Just looking at the Champions League Rules. Their rules state their must be 2 GK's registered. I very much doubt the Premier League will require more than the Champions League does.

There are far more matches in a Prem season than a CL one, so I'm not sure why you'd doubt it or why that would be relevant ? Long and short is it's a rule that none of us have seen, but that Flyer knew about from last season and which Norwich seem to not be abiding by. I've checked all of the players I didn't already know were outfielders, and there are indeed only 2 GKs named in their 25.

FWIW I also checked all of last season's squads a while back and didn't see any obvious exceptions to Flyer's rule, none of the 25-player squads had fewer than 3 keepers last season and some of the ones short of the full complement had fewer than 3 goalkeepers.

Norwich do look like theyve gone for 2 goalies with a full squad. Either the rules have changed or theyve submitted at illegal squad which is a possibility seeing as they were only released an hour after the deadline and they may not have been checked.

There was nothing on the PDF either about goalies, maybe now you just need 3 of any age.

From the BBC....

Southampton (23): Danny Butterfield, Richard Chaplow, Jack Cork, Kelvin Davis, Steven Davis, Danny De Ridder, Ryan Dickson, Guilherme do Prado, Jose Fonte, Jonathan Forte, Daniel Fox, Jos Hooiveld, Adam Lallana, Rickie Lambert, Tadanari Lee, Emmanuel Mayuka, Jason Puncheon, Gaston Ramirez, Frazer Richardson, Jay Rodriguez, Morgan Schneiderlin, Daniel Seaborne, Maya Yoshida.

Dreadful, surely all it was was a copy and paste job ?!

Omitting Cody Cropper from the list looks to be a bit of co*k up to me. Hope that's not going to come back to haunt us. Assuming an error, wouldn't like to be the person to break the news to NC (or the person who made the mistake)!

Surely it's only the 25 man squad that is 'solid' and the other list can change at anytime as U21 players are released, moved out on loan or signed as free agents. The important thing is that he was signed in the transfer window therefore able to play for any of our squads.

Norwich do look like theyve gone for 2 goalies with a full squad. Either the rules have changed or theyve submitted at illegal squad which is a possibility seeing as they were only released an hour after the deadline and they may not have been checked.

There was nothing on the PDF either about goalies, maybe now you just need 3 of any age.

There was nothing on last year's PDF about it either, September or February, but everyone seemed to adhere to it.

From the BBC....

Southampton (23): Danny Butterfield, Richard Chaplow, Jack Cork, Kelvin Davis, Steven Davis, Danny De Ridder, Ryan Dickson, Guilherme do Prado, Jose Fonte, Jonathan Forte, Daniel Fox, Jos Hooiveld, Adam Lallana, Rickie Lambert, Tadanari Lee, Emmanuel Mayuka, Jason Puncheon, Gaston Ramirez, Frazer Richardson, Jay Rodriguez, Morgan Schneiderlin, Daniel Seaborne, Maya Yoshida.

Dreadful, surely all it was was a copy and paste job ?!

Danny is one of Steeeeeeeeeve's middle names and a more famous player, so it's understandable.

Surely it's only the 25 man squad that is 'solid' and the other list can change at anytime as U21 players are released, moved out on loan or signed as free agents. The important thing is that he was signed in the transfer window therefore able to play for any of our squads.

The question is whether you can sign unattached U21s at any point. Or whether the goalkeeper rules are different (as they are different for emergency loans).

I can't find any reference anywhere on the internet that the rule might have existed, let alone DID exist.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

And nor can I, but my independent research (cough) did see that all of last season's squads met with it. It may have just been coincidence that all the sides who weren't subject to the homegrown limit who had named fewer than 25 players had fewer than 3 over-21 goalkeepers.

In Saints' case, we only have 23 over-21s, plus the 3 on season long loans who aren't named. We even named Forte and Dickson so it's not like we've been choosy, we literally couldn't name anyone else. It could just be the case that last season all the teams who were short of 25 just didn't have that many players - but at the same time, all of the teams LAST season who had 25 players named 3 over 21 goalkeepers.

Hopefully that is the case. But the fact that they bother to list all the U21s makes me wonder whether only listed players are eligible to appear until we next have the chance to update the list. If that were the case (and I don't know) Cropper would not be eligible to play this side of January. In any case it seems very odd to omit only him unless a long-term loan has been lined up but not yet announced.

not a fan of Gazzinga then? If we had signed Butland instead would you describe our options in the same way?

My issue is that Davis is a championship standard keeper and our only back up is an inexperienced keeper who's only played in league 2 previously. Personally I'd have been worried about Butland's lack of 1st team experience too. Swansea and Norwich both stayed up last season(both had excellent keepers in Ruddy and Vorm). Was still hoping we might pick up Gordon from free agents to give more competition in that area when we didn't address in the transfer window.

• 8 years later...