Mayuka

RedAndWhite91

Unfortunately for him on Sunday he replaced a player who scored 1 and setup the other 1 and had the beating of Ferdinand........that,and he also looked well out of his depth and along with the other 2 subs cost us the points.
Complete and utter baseless nonsense.....IMHO

I think they mean 47 million, that would be more realistic figure. Good to see though that we are getting more exposure on the world stage, part of the strategy of building up the club must be improving overseas marketing.

Most overseas people will have been watching Utd but that exposure gives the opportunity to gain new fans in the long term, plus signing players from the likes of Japan and Zambia opens up potential connections with those countries.

This also might sound silly but I think we play in a good colour for overseas audiences, some massive teams (like Utd, Livepool) play in red and is it not a lucky colour in Asia? One of the reasons Cardiff changed colours?

I think they mean 47 million, that would be more realistic figure. Good to see though that we are getting more exposure on the world stage, part of the strategy of building up the club must be improving overseas marketing.

Most overseas people will have been watching Utd but that exposure gives the opportunity to gain new fans in the long term, plus signing players from the likes of Japan and Zambia opens up potential connections with those countries.

This also might sound silly but I think we play in a good colour for overseas audiences, some massive teams (like Utd, Livepool) play in red and is it not a lucky colour in Asia? One of the reasons Cardiff changed colours?

Why would anyone care about building a brand abroad? Some of our fans seem so keen to jump on the corporate, money grabing band-wagon of the Premier League.

Why would anyone care about building a brand abroad? Some of our fans seem so keen to jump on the corporate, money grabing band-wagon of the Premier League.

While I personally agree, I think it's a sad fact of modern life that access to new markets and new potential sources of income abroad are integral to most businesses nowadays, especially in an 'industry' (ugh, sorry, hate calling it that, but it is in context) which has such worldwide appeal such as football.

We're a long way past the time when football was just a game.

While I personally agree, I think it's a sad fact of modern life that access to new markets and new potential sources of income abroad are integral to most businesses nowadays, especially in an 'industry' (ugh, sorry, hate calling it that, but it is in context) which has such worldwide appeal such as football.

We're a long way past the time when football was just a game.

True, but some of our fans seem almost too excited to embrace this aspect of the modern game, same way they're so keen to get rid of players that have served us well asap and are happy to write off aspects of our history such as MLT (separate debate I know) - as long as we're in the Prem nothing else seems to matter unfortunately.

Wow, sorry for wanting the club to become bigger, and thinking that it's good that we are getting more overseas fans.

Seriously come back from the 1970s, football is a business these days, looking glassy eyed at the 'good old days; won't change that so how about embrace the positives.

Wow, sorry for wanting the club to become bigger, and thinking that it's good that we are getting more overseas fans.

Seriously come back from the 1970s, football is a business these days, looking glassy eyed at the 'good old days; won't change that so how about embrace the positives.

Not about looking at the "good old days", just realiing there is a lot more to football than how much money you can drag in as an international brand.

Because coming on against Man u and having the ball just booted up to you by panicking defenders is the easiest way to make your debut....

Regarding some of the earlier comments. Yes, he did look rubbish, you could even argue he LOOKED out of his depth. But he looked rubbish entirely because of the above, and the terrible efforts at "passing" the ball to him. He's clearly not going to be the kind of player to win an aerial duel with Vidic or Ferdinand from a randomly wanged ball in his general vicinity - and he did pretty well with the (few) decent passes he got.

The figure of 4.7 billion almost certainly relates to the total global cumulative Premier League TV audience in the 2010-11 season:

http://www.sportundmarkt.com/de/press/press-releases/2011-11-12.html

It is not a made up number, but like several of the other parts of the Zambian Mail article it is taken somewhat out of context. Seems a common failing with papers called the Mail.

Complete and utter baseless nonsense.....IMHO

Are you saying he did well when he came on then?.....lambert came on against city and made an immediate impact,scoring 1 and causing all sorts of problems,the new lad failed to win one ball,jumped too soon when the ball was hoofed up and basically looked like a baby giraffe on ice,Rio must have been laughing to himself when Mayuka came on because lambert had him in his pocket all game,making him work for every ball.

it was a highly charged game,Adkins must of thought the same yet he still decided to bring on the 3 subs,replacing 3 of our most effective players, this had a knock on effect as this just piled more pressure on the defence because guly,Rodriguez and the new lad failed in their tasks so the defence just hoofed it out upto a forward that didn't win a thing.....and so it continued until they scored.

Not really baseless nonsense is it.

Edited by lordswoodsaints

Are you saying he did well when he came on then?.....lambert came on against city and made an immediate impact,scoring 1 and causing all sorts of problems,the new lad failed to win one ball,jumped too soon when the ball was hoofed up and basically looked like a baby giraffe on ice,Rio must have been laughing to himself when Mayuka came on because lambert had him in his pocket all game,making him work for every ball.

it was a highly charged game,Adkins must of thought the same yet he still decided to bring on the 3 subs,replacing 3 of our most effective players this had a knock on effect as this just piled more pressure on the defence because guly,Rodriguez and the new lad failed in their tasks so the defence just hoofed it out upto a forward that didn't win a thing.....and so it continued until they scored.

Not really baseless nonsense is it.

In my view, you have made several assertions/observations about his brief spell on the pitch that I completely disagree with. I do indeed think he did OK when he came on under the circumstances. So, just to reiterate, IMHO your assessment is baseless nonsense. I don't expect you to agree. Personally, I would rather wait until I have seen him play a few times before I write him off as being "well out of his depth". I swear some people think footballers are robots rather than human beings.

In my view, you have made several assertions/observations about his brief spell on the pitch that I completely disagree with. I do indeed think he did OK when he came on under the circumstances. So, just to reiterate, IMHO your assessment is baseless nonsense. I don't expect you to agree. Personally, I would rather wait until I have seen him play a few times before I write him off as being "well out of his depth". I swear some people think footballers are robots rather than human beings.

It's not the player I am criticising,after all I have only seen him play for 15 minutes but what I did see I wasn't impressed with,my argument is with the way he was introduced to the premier league,he should have never been allowed to get off the bench in the first place in such a difficult game and at a critical point in the game,this goes for guly and Rodriguez,their introduction lost us the game as they were ineffective in their roles and weren't a patch on the players they replaced.

I respect your opinions but I don't respect that you think my opinion is baseless nonsense.

When I have spoken to people outside of this forum they are all in agreement that the introduction of the subs lost us the game and all 3 were pretty bad when they came on,yet when I come on here people think they know different.

It's not the player I am criticising,after all I have only seen him play for 15 minutes but what I did see I wasn't impressed with,my argument is with the way he was introduced to the premier league,he should have never been allowed to get off the bench in the first place in such a difficult game and at a critical point in the game,this goes for guly and Rodriguez,their introduction lost us the game as they were ineffective in their roles and weren't a patch on the players they replaced.

I respect your opinions but I don't respect that you think my opinion is baseless nonsense.

When I have spoken to people outside of this forum they are all in agreement that the introduction of the subs lost us the game and all 3 were pretty bad when they came on,yet when I come on here people think they know different.

Thats fair enough on the face of it, but presumably they were taken off for a reason. Rickie was definitely knackered, thats the highest intensity game we're likely to play this season, and I assume the others were replaced for the same reasons. It is grossly unfair to judge Mayuka after being thrown into the cauldron like that a few days after he'd signed, imho he shouldn't have even been on the bench before he'd had a little time to settle in with the team. Personally, and its only an opinion, I wish Chappers had been on the bench as I thought he would have been the perfect midfield sub when Scholes came on.

Well, you either think he looked out of his depth or you don't. That is the statement I took issue with - that is why I highlighted it. You say "it's not the player I am criticising" but surely saying he is out of his depth based on 15 minutes football is exactly that. Any player, including the likes of Lambert, could have been brought on in similar circumstances and looked ineffectual. He hardly got a decent pass.

If he looks useless every time he plays for the next x matches I will probably agree that he is out of his depth. I expect, and hope, this is not the case.

Like it or not mate, football is now "business", big business. You can blame the Americans (for what they did to their sports and the knock-on to us), you can blame Murdoch and Sky, but unfortunately, to pay the players and to even run a football club is now a lot different to even the 90s.

I mean yes, if we were still in the Dell, there's no doubt we'd be a floating League 1/Championship club size, watching more wins than loses and being ignored by the media. A lot of football fans would love that, granted. But if you took over the club for example, you'd want to do as well as you could - that would mean upgrading the ground, getting better players and spending more money. To aid the income from Sky and sponsorship you need a fanbase, but in order to maximise fanbase potential, you need to become a global brand.

It's a spiral. It is unfortunate, but it really would need clubs to stop asking for silly money for players and for players stop commanding such ridiculous wages for it to stop.

So whilst a lot of football fans would love for football to be a non-commoditised business, a large portion of the same group would want the best for their club if they were in charge and would therefore succumb to same spiral :(

He came on when Man U were camped in our half and was having to chase aimless hoofs and barely got a touch of the ball.

There was one opportunity where he got the ball to feet, and he surged at two Man U players before one of them brought him down cynically to win us an attacking free kick.

I watched him throughout the African Cup of Nations earlier this year and throughout the tournament he was pure class.

Well, you either think he looked out of his depth or you don't. That is the statement I took issue with - that is why I highlighted it. You say "it's not the player I am criticising" but surely saying he is out of his depth based on 15 minutes football is exactly that. Any player, including the likes of Lambert, could have been brought on in similar circumstances and looked ineffectual. He hardly got a decent pass.

If he looks useless every time he plays for the next x matches I will probably agree that he is out of his depth. I expect, and hope, this is not the case.

You can say he "looked" out of his depth without thinking he was out of his depth. He's clearly an exciting talent and did something with the few decent passes he got (and tried hard to make the most of the rest of the rubbish), but he's going to look terrible every game if all we do is hoof rushed clearances at him. Actually, if we don't change our game to stop hanging onto possession every time when there's a through ball on, he'll probably struggle to score goals even if we keep it on the deck. His link-up play will probably be decent though.

It remains to be seen what effect bringing Ramirez in will have on our style of play, he seems to be more of a creative passing and through ball kind of player, and that will require someone to make runs for him up front, which isn't Lambert's strength but is Mayuka's.

You can say he "looked" out of his depth without thinking he was out of his depth.
That is just arguing semantics. The implication, regardless, was that based on 15 minutes football he ain't good enough for this level......and I still say that is nonsense. I still expect him to be a decent buy and effective at this level.

Thats fair enough on the face of it, but presumably they were taken off for a reason. Rickie was definitely knackered, thats the highest intensity game we're likely to play this season, and I assume the others were replaced for the same reasons. It is grossly unfair to judge Mayuka after being thrown into the cauldron like that a few days after he'd signed, imho he shouldn't have even been on the bench before he'd had a little time to settle in with the team. Personally, and its only an opinion, I wish Chappers had been on the bench as I thought he would have been the perfect midfield sub when Scholes came on.

I agree with you,the new lad shouldn't of had any involvement at all and chaplow should have been the man to bring on.

I didn't notice it at the game as I was too far away but watching it back on tv you can clearly see lallana saying to puncheon something along the lines of 'what's he bringing us of for' and puncheon shrugging his shoulders....very strange substitutions IMO

I agree with you,the new lad shouldn't of had any involvement at all and chaplow should have been the man to bring on.

I didn't notice it at the game as I was too far away but watching it back on tv you can clearly see lallana saying to puncheon something along the lines of 'what's he bringing us of for' and puncheon shrugging his shoulders....very strange substitutions IMO

Kind of a normal reaction, they probably both wanted to be on the pitch when we beat Utd and earn lasting glory. Still Punch has certain defensive ability about him and I'd have thought he could have dropped back a notch to replace JWP who, from my Tuesday television view was dead beat and doing the same s against City, just punting the ball forward. NA got it wrong but why we'll probably never know.

First game of the season and there knackered after 70mins ?

Didn't see Van Persie looking knackered and I'm sure Fergie wasn't thinking about bringing him off.

Tiredness is not an excuse for bringing those three off. Adkins made poor substitutions, Fergies were spot on. Hopefully NA has learnt something from that game.

As for Mayuka, unless we change our system and he plays alongside Lambert, I can't see how he'll fit in.

First game of the season and there knackered after 70mins ?

Didn't see Van Persie looking knackered and I'm sure Fergie wasn't thinking about bringing him off.

Tiredness is not an excuse for bringing those three off. Adkins made poor substitutions, Fergies were spot on. Hopefully NA has learnt something from that game.

As for Mayuka, unless we change our system and he plays alongside Lambert, I can't see how he'll fit in.

This ^^

He came on when Man U were camped in our half and was having to chase aimless hoofs and barely got a touch of the ball.

There was one opportunity where he got the ball to feet, and he surged at two Man U players before one of them brought him down cynically to win us an attacking free kick.

I watched him throughout the African Cup of Nations earlier this year and throughout the tournament he was pure class.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like an exciting prospect. His goal scoring record suggests he knows how to finish.

Anyone prepared to judge him on the strength of 20 minutes against United is quite frankly a simpleton.

Instead of judging the fleeting glimpse of him I checked what's on Youtube, and had a good look at what he did for Young Boys as well as Maccabi Tel Aviv earlier in his career. He is predominantly right footed but has got a very good left peg as well. He likes moving in from the right as well as from the left and can both poach and create his own opportunities. He also appeared wide, both right and left and looked very useful as a provider. He looks quality and shouldn't have any problems in playing either on the right or the left of a front three. It looked as if that is what he is used to.

I don't know why you guys seems hung up on the right or left of the front three being wingers. Try to imagine what an inside right or left was once upon a time. The width will be provided by the fullbacks and to a degree by Lallana, who still looks like his best position is based wide left, moving inwards and creating space for the left back.

Instead of judging the fleeting glimpse of him I checked what's on Youtube, and had a good look at what he did for Young Boys as well as Maccabi Tel Aviv earlier in his career. He is predominantly right footed but has got a very good left peg as well. He likes moving in from the right as well as from the left and can both poach and create his own opportunities. He also appeared wide, both right and left and looked very useful as a provider. He looks quality and shouldn't have any problems in playing either on the right or the left of a front three. It looked as if that is what he is used to.

I don't know why you guys seems hung up on the right or left of the front three being wingers. Try to imagine what an inside right or left was once upon a time. The width will be provided by the fullbacks and to a degree by Lallana, who still looks like his best position is based wide left, moving inwards and creating space for the left back.

Sadly too many on here judge players sometimes before they even play for us. 15 mins is nothing.

Originally Posted by Clifford Nelson

Sadly too many on here judge players sometimes before they even play for us. 15 mins is nothing.

As opposed to the bloke you have quoted who appears to have judged him on YouTube clips!

I posted a link to Saintsweb on the comments of that article. It's gratifying to know that 4.7 billion people will soon know there are some cocks who judge a player after 15 minutes!

I think most,including myself are not judging the player but more the judgment to bring him on in the first place.

He replaced lambert (scored 1,setup the other) and clearly (for whatever reason) looked out of his depth in that particular 15 minute spell..........it wasn't a game to make your home debut,especially filling lamberts boots who was causing problems all afternoon.

for me the blame lies with whoever decided he should play a part,now the lad is going to be under more pressure to impress IMO.

That is just arguing semantics. The implication, regardless, was that based on 15 minutes football he ain't good enough for this level......and I still say that is nonsense. I still expect him to be a decent buy and effective at this level.

Me too. And yes, semantics, but the semantic argument is that you don't have to be crap to look crap, just like you don't have to be good to look good. Overall, as you say, the judgement should be made over a longer period and it's nonsense to judge him on that 15 minutes alone.

Me too. And yes, semantics, but the semantic argument is that you don't have to be crap to look crap, just like you don't have to be good to look good. Overall, as you say, the judgement should be made over a longer period and it's nonsense to judge him on that 15 minutes alone.

the thing is that the perception of Mayuka is conditionned by the deception induced by the result of the game. We were winning and then we lost in the last 7/8 minutes thus any factor that intervened in the last minute change will be naturlly judged as negative. Couln't watch the game live cos I'm still stuck up my mountain but I've viewed the DVD that the wife kindly sent several times and to me the problem is more based on the fact that neither JWP nor S Davis lasted the distance.We went gung ho when we needed to shut up shop but JWP didn't get anywhere near Scholes and also punted the ball carelessly forward a few times as if it was full of anthrax or something. The smart move in my opinion was to bring back Punch a notch and take off JWP, JRod for Lambert as a straight post for post swap and if you must put Mayuka on for Lallana, trouble is that would leve Guly on his behind on the bench and I'm not sure that that's allowed :?:?

Monday mornings are bad enough and on top of that I've got to read this ****.

The subs cost us the game

I'm talking about Mayuka.

Re. subs, I had a bigger issue with who was on the bench i.e. the lack of midfielders (effectively Chaplow) than the actual subs. I don't think they cost us the game. Even those who criticise the subs agree that Lambert should have been taken off while keeping punch/al on. The problem would have been the same: we would have lacked a decent outball.

NA wasn't blind to this - IMO we just weren't good enough to execute his plan which was to hit Jrod early and have him hold balls up, albeit on the left, exploiting his height advantage over their RB. Too many aimless hoofs, not enough control to our direct balls.

Would prefer the lad from Christchurch to be honest. No Africans have ever been a success in England and this was a Cortese signing so on that basis he must be rubbish and he didn't score in his first 15mins in a Saints shirt.

Will I boo him at Arsenal? Probably not while he warms up but if he comes on then yes.