Vegard Forren - Signs

Nigel=God-Poyet=Sod

What's the thoughts, are we after Astori and Forren or just the one which we can complete on first?

Who is to say we are not after both?

After the worries we had over Yoshida playing in a poor team before joining us and how he has become one of the first choice defenders in our squad I would suspect Forren can make the step up. Sounds like a straight alternative to Fonte for me.

My thoughts are:

Forren can be used to smoke out Astori if he sees he could miss out on a bumper EPl pay packet - he will put pressure on Cagliari - but by the same token whats to say BOTH are not suitable, at the same time. Three international centre backs plus Fonte and Jos is good. If we get both i can see Jos being retired to somewhere else though.

The good thing about Norwegians is that they are well educated so English speaking is not a problem- Astori is 26 and might need a bit of time. At 1/3v the price of Astori he looks decent value for a 24yr old young International CB. Has anyone mentioned Claus yet though? :-)

Edited by Giordano

Okay, my first class of the day (17 year old "Technical and industrial production" students) are unanimous that he would be good enough for the premier league. One thinks he won't come to us because he's a united fan, most agree he should come to us so that he won't sit on the bench. They all watch a lot of Norwegian and English football.

I'll give the verdict from my other classes later.

My wife is going to be talking to the Molde owner at his house on Thursday. I'll have her talk it over with him then.

Thanks to you and the other Scandinavian posters; looks like Saintsweb has spies everywhere!

I think the injury to Fonte has underlined our weaknesses in this area and although we all talk about getting better players (see RodleShearer's comment), he does have the advantage of age on his side, and must be better than Seaborne and Martin.

My thoughts are:

Forren can be used to smoke out Astori if he sees he could miss out on a bumper EPl pay packet - he will put pressure on Cagliari - but by the same token whats to say BOTH are not suitable, at the same time. Three international centre backs plus Fonte and Jos is good. If we get both i can see Jos being retired to somewhere else though.

The good thing about Norwegians is that they are well educated so English speaking is not a problem- Astori might need a bit of time. At 1/3v the price of Astori he looks decent value for a young International CB. Has anyone mentioned Claus yet though? :-)

Both are left footed so on the face of it would appear to be an either or, but I wouldn't say no to having four decent CBs leaving Hooiveld out in the cold.

Also depends in the extent of Fonte's injury.

Only ever heard good things about Forren.

Both are left footed so on the face of it would appear to be an either or, but I wouldn't say no to having four decent CBs leaving Hooiveld out in the cold.

Also depends in the extent of Fonte's injury.

Only ever heard good things about Forren.

Can't see Fonte or Yoshida being happy stuck on the bench every week with an occasional run out for the Under-21s if they're really lucky.

Seems a good move to me but I would still like to see some experience in the team as well but not sure the club are interested.

Perhaps if we stay up the plan for producing a young team will be vindicated I hope so

Sort of agree on this. Another player with obvious potential for the future, but the jump for a young player, particulalrly a CB to go from the Norweigan League to the Prem is absolutely massive in pretty much every way. Huge jump in quality, pace of the game, pressure, crowds etc.

Sort of agree on this. Another player with obvious potential for the future, but the jump for a young player, particulalrly a CB to go from the Norweigan League to the Prem is absolutely massive in pretty much every way. Huge jump in quality, pace of the game, pressure, crowds etc.
Although having said that, Molde's recent run of European games against fairly decent quality opposition would have been good prep for the Premier League. Anyone know if he played in all of those games?

Has Mark Lawrenson said anything about this?

"Weelll Gaarry; Liverpool would never of signed him - clearly not the quality we neeed. You can't buy a Premier League quality centre back for less than £10M anyway. Feels like a good budget signing for a small team like Southampton. D'you like my new jumper by the way?"

Although having said that, Molde's recent run of European games against fairly decent quality opposition would have been good prep for the Premier League. Anyone know if he played in all of those games?
Appears he did play in those games, so a good bit of experience there.

Footballer wanting to play football not sit on the bench shock!

unless we have done a QPR and thrown more money at him

I suppose if we are showing we want him more than Liverpool by offering rather than just a trial.

Perhaps they are concerned about his ability to play in the PL I doubt that the Norwegian League is any better than our Championship but if he is for the future thats OK but £4m does seem a lot

From the Star (but it could still be true)

Former Saints star Claus Lundekvam appears to have played a key role in Forren's switch of destination.

"I got a call from Southampton about a month before Christmas and I highly recommended him [Forren]," he told TV2.

"Southampton have been looking for a top-class defender for a long time, and Forren is a type that fits in with the way they play."

From the Star (but it could still be true)

Former Saints star Claus Lundekvam appears to have played a key role in Forren's switch of destination.

"I got a call from Southampton about a month before Christmas and I highly recommended him [Forren]," he told TV2.

"Southampton have been looking for a top-class defender for a long time, and Forren is a type that fits in with the way they play."

it's a direct quote so it will be.

He flew in and had talks with Liverpool last night & he's heading down south for talks with Saints this early afternoon.

Its still 50/50 IMHO but it could come down to who offers him the best deal or first team football.

Liverpool haven't even made an offer for him. They were going to look at him in training and decide but when they heard we had agreed a fee they said they wouldn't be matching it.

Think the Astori deal may be dead in the water, Forren is a good signing for us. Perhaps we'll go back in for Davide in the summer, time is a big factor in this window and Cortese probably doesn't want to f*ck about for too long.

One assume the astute Mr Cortese is on the blower to Cagliari as we speak? "Hello....yes, we're about to sign this Norwegian chap instead of Astori...£10m now, take it or leave it?"

Maybe Rodgers should have given a trial to Allen. He might have noticed he couldn't play a forward pass before paying £15m for him.

Wasn't that all the time they spent at Swansea together... You'd think if Allen was a real talent in midfield a Premier League team would have made Swansea an offer they couldn't refuse for him ages ago.