Summer 2013 HCDAJFU / Transfer thread

Glasgow_Saint

"Monaco is one of the most successful clubs in France, having won seven league titles and five Coupe de France trophies. The club has also regularly competed in European football having been runners-up in both the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup and UEFA Champions League in 1992 and 2004, respectively.

Monaco enjoyed success in the 1970s and late 1980s during the managerial tenures of Lucien Leduc and Arsène Wenger, during which the club was amongst the leading lights of European football. Monaco's traditional colours are red and white, and the club is known as Les Rouge et Blanc (The Red and White). Monaco is also a member of the European Club Association. In December 2011, two-thirds of the club was sold to an investment group led by Russian billionaire Dmitry Rybolovlev."

There's quite a few reasons to join them. The ground may only hold just over 18,000 - but it's a decent enough club.

Not because it's a tax haven then? Rodriguez and Moutinho would never have joined them if it wasn't for the money. It's effectively the equivalent of Cardiff buying Lewandowski and Reus - unlikely without the money motivation.

Not because it's a tax haven then? Rodriguez and Moutinho would never have joined them if it wasn't for the money. It's effectively the equivalent of Cardiff buying Lewandowski and Reus - unlikely without the money motivation.

As stated above, it's not the same as Cardiff buying those two at all. Monaco have got a reasonable history already in European football. How do you think loads of clubs attract players? Chelsea, Man City, some of the eastern european sides that have stepped up in the last few years? How do you think Cortese is planning on attracting "big" signings to Saints? Why did Ramirez come to us?

The strange thing about the Moutinho/Rodriguez deal is that the 70m euros is allegedly split so Monaco are paying 69m for Rdoriguez and 1m for Moutinho so Porto can minimize the amount they have to give to Sporting as part of the sell on clause in Moutinho's contract.
Clever that.

As stated above, it's not the same as Cardiff buying those two at all. Monaco have got a reasonable history already in European football. How do you think loads of clubs attract players? Chelsea, Man City, some of the eastern european sides that have stepped up in the last few years? How do you think Cortese is planning on attracting "big" signings to Saints? Why did Ramirez come to us?

Money. Ambition is nothing without money, that is my point.

The strange thing about the Moutinho/Rodriguez deal is that the 70m euros is allegedly split so Monaco are paying 69m for Rdoriguez and 1m for Moutinho so Porto can minimize the amount they have to give to Sporting as part of the sell on clause in Moutinho's contract.

That would please some lawyers, lawsuits coming up...

But they're hardly a Cardiff, I'm sure you can see that?

I accept their past achievements and remember them well when they got to the CL final in '04, only to be beaten by Mourinho's Porto. However, my point was, on the face of it Monaco are a club, with an 18,000 capacity ground and have been promoted up from the second tier, and therefore are unlikely to attract massive players if it wasn't for the significant funding they have behind them. My comparison with Cardiff, was merely the fact they were a newly promoted club, with decent foreign backing, and would be attracting two top European talents. I do admit that the link was somewhat weak, in the sense that Monaco do have a certain amount of success on a European scale, in the recent past.

I probably haven't put it in the best way, but my point is just that money is the motivation for these guys to play for Monaco, in a tax haven, and in a top European division, under a chairman who no doubt has lofty ambitions.

As with PSG and Man City, money does talk, and can buy you success in the short term by buying big names on lucrative deals.

Based on their talent, I would like to see these guys, as with Falcao, to join a top European side. That's my point.

"Monaco is one of the most successful clubs in France, having won seven league titles and five Coupe de France trophies. The club has also regularly competed in European football having been runners-up in both the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup and UEFA Champions League in 1992 and 2004, respectively.

Monaco enjoyed success in the 1970s and late 1980s during the managerial tenures of Lucien Leduc and Arsène Wenger, during which the club was amongst the leading lights of European football. Monaco's traditional colours are red and white, and the club is known as Les Rouge et Blanc (The Red and White). Monaco is also a member of the European Club Association. In December 2011, two-thirds of the club was sold to an investment group led by Russian billionaire Dmitry Rybolovlev."

There's quite a few reasons to join them. The ground may only hold just over 18,000 - but it's a decent enough club.

That's all very nice, but if I was a professional sportsman wanted by Real Madrid or Monaco, I'd know where I'd go - even if Monaco would pay me far more. Same goes for Spurs or Monaco or Manchester United or Monaco. The other team, every time. I'd want to "feel" like I'm playing for a club with not only rich history, but with support to back it up.

So, they've won a few things, great - if Preston or Huddersfield got bankrolled to that level they'd be strikingly similar to Monaco, even if their recent history isn't as good as theirs.

And Monaco have had a huge advantage attracting players over other teams nationally and internationally, as documented above. For me, it'd feel completely false if I was a footballer.

That's all very nice, but if I was a professional sportsman wanted by Real Madrid or Monaco, I'd know where I'd go - even if Monaco would pay me far more. Same goes for Spurs or Monaco or Manchester United or Monaco. The other team, every time. I'd want to "feel" like I'm playing for a club with not only rich history, but with support to back it up.

So, they've won a few things, great - if Preston or Huddersfield got bankrolled to that level they'd be strikingly similar to Monaco, even if their recent history isn't as good as theirs.

And Monaco have had a huge advantage attracting players over other teams nationally and internationally, as documented above. For me, it'd feel completely false if I was a footballer.

Read their recent history, it's not remotely comparable to Preston or Huddersfield. It's much better than ours. How do you think we are going to attract these big signings we've heard about?

I accept their past achievements and remember them well when they got to the CL final in '04, only to be beaten by Mourinho's Porto. However, my point was, on the face of it Monaco are a club, with an 18,000 capacity ground and have been promoted up from the second tier, and therefore are unlikely to attract massive players if it wasn't for the significant funding they have behind them. My comparison with Cardiff, was merely the fact they were a newly promoted club, with decent foreign backing, and would be attracting two top European talents. I do admit that the link was somewhat weak, in the sense that Monaco do have a certain amount of success on a European scale, in the recent past.

I probably haven't put it in the best way, but my point is just that money is the motivation for these guys to play for Monaco, in a tax haven, and in a top European division, under a chairman who no doubt has lofty ambitions.

As with PSG and Man City, money does talk, and can buy you success in the short term by buying big names on lucrative deals.

Based on their talent, I would like to see these guys, as with Falcao, to join a top European side. That's my point.

I see your point, but why do you want to see these players joining a top European side? Surely it keeps football interesting if you have as many different and varied teams challenging at the top? Why should only the big, famous clubs have a complete monopoly on having the best players play for them?

Read their recent history, it's not remotely comparable to Preston or Huddersfield. It's much better than ours. How do you think we are going to attract these big signings we've heard about?

Yeah, I've mentioned that... their recent history is far better, but you could take a Blackpool, Burnley, Preston or Huddersfield out of the doldrums with a similar crowd and huge finance and it'll still be an equivalent in size. Difference being, whilst the aforementioned clubs halcyon days are over and their "size" has shrunk, Monaco's has been pretty much steady despite the success they've had.

BTW, I don't think we'll attract those players and even if we could, our manager/chairman probably wouldn't go for them anyway.

Yeah, I've mentioned that... their recent history is far better, but you could take a Blackpool, Burnley, Preston or Huddersfield out of the doldrums with a similar crowd and huge finance and it'll still be an equivalent in size. Difference being, whilst the aforementioned clubs halcyon days are over and their "size" has shrunk, Monaco's has been pretty much steady despite the success they've had.

BTW, I don't think we'll attract those players and even if we could, our manager/chairman probably wouldn't go for them anyway.

I thought you were the poster that started a thread last week about Saints making some big/impressive signings this summer? How are we going to attract them apart from a load of money? It won't be our over-flowing trophy cabinet.

I thought you were the poster that started a thread last week about Saints making some big/impressive signings this summer? How are we going to attract them apart from a load of money? It won't be our over-flowing trophy cabinet.

Our fanbase.

Why should only the big, famous clubs have a complete monopoly on having the best players play for them?

I'll agree with you on that, but aren't you saying they are, traditionally, one of the big famous clubs in France?

I'm becoming less a fan of this "instant success and NOW" style that clubs with a bit of backing are adopting. I have to say, I prefer our own style though to an extent, we too have been "bankrolled" - although not to those (Monaco/PSG/Man City/Chelsea/Malaga/Anzhi) excesses and besides, it's clear we have a plan to blood talented youngsters for the first-team and compliment them with decent signings.

I like our approach - money, of course, will always be the bottom line (see Ramirez) but we've also signed (and re-signed!) players who buy into our ethos and vision of the club and where it's going. I'd much rather our current approach than throwing cash around at loads of players and hoping they gel together, become a team and then win something. For me, that's somewhat artificial.

The stories of Montpellier and Dortmund recently - and the continuing story of Athletic Bilbao make far more interesting, respectful spectacles than some team spunking millions on players to try and jump a few rungs up the ladder.

Besides, the Champions League (our ultimate goal) is becoming something of a turn-off... it's going to end up a fantasy football playground for billionaire chairmen and teams. There will be no romance in it anymore in a few years...

Money, firstly.

Secondly, ambition. If players can see that we're a club on an upward curb doing things the right way then it would be part of the attraction to become a part of it... and I doubt we'd be going for established stars like Monaco - more likely promising talent that could either grow with the club or, if we fail to achieve their/our ambitions - could be sold on to bigger, more successful clubs.

We'll either make a very successful shop window or a half-decent club with the possibility of some success... over to Mr Cortese...

I'll agree with you on that, but aren't you saying they are, traditionally, one of the big famous clubs in France?

I'm becoming less a fan of this "instant success and NOW" style that clubs with a bit of backing are adopting. I have to say, I prefer our own style though to an extent, we too have been "bankrolled" - although not to those (Monaco/PSG/Man City/Chelsea/Malaga/Anzhi) excesses and besides, it's clear we have a plan to blood talented youngsters for the first-team and compliment them with decent signings.

I like our approach - money, of course, will always be the bottom line (see Ramirez) but we've also signed (and re-signed!) players who buy into our ethos and vision of the club and where it's going. I'd much rather our current approach than throwing cash around at loads of players and hoping they gel together, become a team and then win something. For me, that's somewhat artificial.

The stories of Montpellier and Dortmund recently - and the continuing story of Athletic Bilbao make far more interesting, respectful spectacles than some team spunking millions on players to try and jump a few rungs up the ladder.

Besides, the Champions League (our ultimate goal) is becoming something of a turn-off... it's going to end up a fantasy football playground for billionaire chairmen and teams. There will be no romance in it anymore in a few years...

Monaco have been one of the bigger clubs in France, but not one of the huge European giants, I don't have a problem with some of the best players in the world going somewhere a bit different. We might not have been bankrolled to the same extent, but the principle is the same, we're possibly going to be out bidding traditionally bigger/better supported clubs due to money pumped into the club from a benefactor.

Everyone would like to do a Montpellier, Dortmund or Bilbao, but that's just not realistic or practical for all clubs.

Our fanbase.

There were a whole host of reasons given when we were talking about this whilst in L1. Because its a nice place to live, they can go for strolls and cream teas in the new forest, their wives would enjoy shopping at West Quay, Portswood and townhill infants schools are up there with the best, its near the sea, only 1.5hrs from London, Marwell zoo and Peppa pig world for thier kids. I kid you not, all these reasons were give as to why a player would pick Southampton over other clubs,

So same principle as Monaco?

Not quite - we might share some of the same ideals but as reiterated by the club several times, our principals are more aligned to this new-fangled "Southampton Way".

At a guess, I think they mean by nurturing our own footballers good enough to compete in the top-half of the league whilst also bringing in solid, proven (and sometimes highly-rated) footballers to compliment this.

There's a plan, there's a structure to what we're doing...It's not an all-out assault on the transfer market with wedges of cash.

West Ham are really going for a youth policy aren't they !

"Massimo Ambrosini has an offer from West Ham should he terminate his Milan love affair at the end of the season.

According to Sport Mediaset, the 35-year-old could be set for a move to England if he isn’t offered a new 12-month deal at Milanello."

A statement of real intent would be if we could sign ilkay gundongan from Dortmund! Real quality player be perfect to play alongside spiderman! We can dream, don't think it will happen mind.

Whilst I agree were an attractive prospect for a lot of European players, Gundongan is playing in the Champions League Final tonight... Lets get real!

A statement of real intent would be if we could sign ilkay gundongan from Dortmund! Real quality player be perfect to play alongside spiderman! We can dream, don't think it will happen mind.

Oh you mean the one who's playing in the Champions League final tonight with one of the best teams in Europe? The one who's been courted by pretty much every top club in the world? The same player that's becoming a fixture in one of the best Germany sides in recent times?

I'd rather have Prowsey tbh ;)

And here was me thinking people had come to terms with Dortmund being an elite European side and not just plucky underdogs

Evian? Or am I being a bit naive and backwards?

I would like you to know the following -

1. I understood your humourous 'play on words' re- the word 'evian'.

2. After much deliberation I have found myself to be amused by said 'play'.

3. I have decided to award the quip one (1) BSC (British Standard Chuckle) credit.

I would like you to know the following -

1. I understood your humourous 'play on words' re- the word 'evian'.

2. After much deliberation I have found myself to be amused by said 'play'.

3. I have decided to award the quip one (1) BSC (British Standard Chuckle) credit.

Thanks Ron, I shall spend it wisely.

Of course its clever.

Whilst its certainly clever I can't see them getting away with it. Makes a great precedent that would instantly wipe all contracts with sell on clauses worthless. Think about it, we sell Shaw to Chelsea with a 25% sell on clause, 3 years time Barca buy Shaw and some youth team no mark for a combined £100m, £99m for the degenerate, £1m for Shaw.

Everyone will be at it.

Clever that.

not according to L'Equipe (who might just know) 25 million € for Moutihno and 45 million € for Rodriguez.

L'AS Monaco a annoncé ce vendredi avoir trouvé un accord avec le FC Porto pour le transfert de l'international portugais Joao Moutinho (26 ans) et de l'attaquant international colombien James Rodriguez (21 ans). Le club portugais a confirmé cet accord sur son site officiel, précisant que le montant de la transaction s'élève à 70 millions d'euros. «Pour garantir les droits sportifs et économiques des deux joueurs, Monaco a payé 70 millions d'euros (45 par James, 25 pour Moutinho)», est-il indiqué dans le communiqué de Porto.

And from Porto themselves

http://www.fcporto.pt/English/News/news_eng_futjamesmoutinhomonaco_240513_75604.asp

good rumour though, nearly as good as KD in Sainsbury's

Edited by Window Cleaner