Summer 2013 HCDAJFU / Transfer thread

Glasgow_Saint

That Austin link is probably just agent generated. Can't believe we'd be interested now, got a feeling we'll be looking more into the European market and international level players rather than championship players. If we wanted Austin, we could save our bucks and keep Sharp instead! I rate them both as pretty much similar level players.

It's probably a link left over from the Adkins reign. Would be staggered if we sign any Champ players this summer.

Whilst I agree somewhat I think that's a bit harsh on Austin. He's a goalscorer and has done it at every level, people said Lambert couldn't do it but he has so there is no reason why Austin couldn't. He's also only 23, so could improve even more whereas Sharp is about as good as he's going to be.

Whilst I agree somewhat I think that's a bit harsh on Austin. He's a goalscorer and has done it at every level, people said Lambert couldn't do it but he has so there is no reason why Austin couldn't. He's also only 23, so could improve even more whereas Sharp is about as good as he's going to be.

Not seen much of Austin recently. Can he play as a lone-striker up top?

He always struck me as the poacher of a 2-man strike force. (And TBF, I think we've already purchased the best striker Burnley had).

Not seen much of Austin recently. Can he play as a lone-striker up top?

He always struck me as the poacher of a 2-man strike force. (And TBF, I think we've already purchased the best striker Burnley had).

Don't know much about the rest of his talents, but possible he could play as one of the three behind the striker.

Fwiw, i don't believe we're interested in him.

Don't know much about the rest of his talents, but possible he could play as one of the three behind the striker.

Fwiw, i don't believe we're interested in him.

He couldn't. He is a very good finisher but his all round game is nowhere near Rodriguez for example. Austin is the kind of striker where if he isnt scoring he doesn't offer much else, similar to Sharp in that sense.

Just on weekends or is this a twenty four seven routine? ;)

Saints are now very big on the 'Southampton values' so personalities, behaviours ect are now as important as ability. Players off-field strengths/weaknesses will be monitored and play a major part in any signing.

Saints have recently outlined a new set of values and all players have needed to sign up and agree to abide. In the next few months you will probably here a lot more about Respect, Integrity, service, excellence and stewardship. “RISES”

You heard it here 1st!

Saints are now very big on the 'Southampton values' so personalities, behaviours ect are now as important as ability. Players off-field strengths/weaknesses will be monitored and play a major part in any signing.

Saints have recently outlined a new set of values and all players have needed to sign up and agree to abide. In the next few months you will probably here a lot more about Respect, Integrity, service, excellence and stewardship. “RISES”

You heard it here 1st!

Mm fair point we do seem to do our homework on the sort of characters we bring into the club, something im proud of as a fan.

Do wonder how much of it is talk though, often footballing talent seems to rule over a players behaviour. How many footballers have ever recieved more then a ticking off from their clubs for assault/drink driving charges that seem to stalk the game?

Mm fair point we do seem to do our homework on the sort of characters we bring into the club, something im proud of as a fan.

Do wonder how much of it is talk though, often footballing talent seems to rule over a players behaviour. How many footballers have ever recieved more then a ticking off from their clubs for assault/drink driving charges that seem to stalk the game?

Guly has been limited to a few substitute appearances since his drink driving escapades. He was also heavily fined by the club and given a final written warning.

By all accounts the club are looking at his exit this summer – not exclusively because of his drink driving shame, but this didn’t help.

Guly has been limited to a few substitute appearances since his drink driving escapades. He was also heavily fined by the club and given a final written warning.

By all accounts the club are looking at his exit this summer – not exclusively because of his drink driving shame, but this didn’t help.

Ahah he was one of the ones I was thinking of.

My point, I suppose I have one somewhere, is that behaviour is subjective and a football club will struggle to define what it considers bad behaviour and how it deals with it.

For example a club policy would be difficult to apply to star names should the manager also disagree with any punishment.

Ahah he was one of the ones I was thinking of.

My point, I suppose I have one somewhere, is that behaviour is subjective and a football club will struggle to define what it considers bad behaviour and how it deals with it.

For example a club policy would be difficult to apply to star names should the manager also disagree with any punishment.

good point well made. 2 reputation points

Saints have had scouts watching Austin since Xmas

I thought he looked the better striker when we last played Burnley. He was a handful despite the service to him being terrible. I think he'd score goals at any level. Much prefer him to Sharp.

Doesn't feel like a signing we will make though. I just can't see us buying championship players. Under Adkins maybe, but I would have thought we'd try to use MP's inside knowledge of Spanish football while we can to try and get another Michu gem.

Zarate - £7m

Wanyama - £10m

Capel - £4m

Astori - £7m

Done.

Would Wanyama leave Celtic for us? Without going into the whole Scottish football, Celtic bigger than Saints thing, wouldn't he want Champions league football or as close to it as possible? I've only seen him twice (in the CL) and he looked Celtic's stand out player in both games.

I really like Zarate, but to be honest they're very similar players.

Yep, add Gamez and that's £30.5m spent and looking good for next season.

Yep they are. I also think Zarate has the attributes but I thought he would´ve gone further in his career than he has, somewhere it´s something missing, dont know if it´s his mentality or just that he hasn´t found the perfect club and setup for him?

What can we get in for the players we might offload.....

£2m for Sharp?

£0.5m each for Chaplow, Guly, Fox and De Ridder?

Another £4m gem in your head? ;)

good point well made. 2 reputation points

Two? Generous, even I lost track of my trail of thought ;)

Be interesting to see the values and code of conduct system come into place either way!

Either way back to HCDAJU ... I'l throw in the usual one that comes up, Buckley at Brighton. I know he's signed a contract long term and some on here have suggested we wont look at the championship too much but, with all the chaos going on a Brighton recently, he may yet be an acheivable target and, imo, could do a job in a few different positions for us.

Two? Generous, even I lost track of my trail of thought ;)

Be interesting to see the values and code of conduct system come into place either way!

Either way back to HCDAJU ... I'l throw in the usual one that comes up, Buckley at Brighton. I know he's signed a contract long term and some on here have suggested we wont look at the championship too much but, with all the chaos going on a Brighton recently, he may yet be an acheivable target and, imo, could do a job in a few different positions for us.

we were linked with him in december > http://www.ftbpro.com/posts/rob.peterson/95206/southampton-eye-brighton-hove-albion-winger-will-buckley

Zarate - £7m

Wanyama - £10m

Capel - £4m

Astori - £7m

Done.

Would rather have Lens than Capel, though they play on different sides. Our right hand side seems to be a bigger issue which is another argument for Lens.

Yep they are. I also think Zarate has the attributes but I thought he would´ve gone further in his career than he has, somewhere it´s something missing, dont know if it´s his mentality or just that he hasn´t found the perfect club and setup for him?

What can we get in for the players we might offload.....

£2m for Sharp?

£0.5m each for Chaplow, Guly, Fox and De Ridder?

Another £4m gem in your head? ;)

Well, I'll have a think. Would love Wilfried Bony from Vitesse Arnham, but think he'd be a little bit expensive (£10m+).

Mehdi Carcela at Anzhi, on and off the bench for them.

Lamine Sane...

I like Hiroshi Kiyotake as well, not sure how much he'd cost.

Well, I'll have a think. Would love Wilfried Bony from Vitesse Arnham, but think he'd be a little bit expensive (£10m+).

Mehdi Carcela at Anzhi, on and off the bench for them.

Lamine Sane...

I like Hiroshi Kiyotake as well, not sure how much he'd cost.

Bony, yes please. :)

Haven´t seen much of Carcela so cant say anything about him. Lamine Sane is a big maybe for me, think he loses his focus during games a bit too much.

Kiyotake not a bad player but put that money in wages to Honda instead :)

Maybe that weird rumour about Gabriel Torje the other week for me....

Cerci from Torino and there are some players that probably will leave Palermo like Ilicic and Dybala......Poli in Sampdoria.....Paloschi in Chievo...

Brain will melt this summer.... :)

Im not convinced we are gonna go after Austin. I think the scouting remit has changed since Poch's arrival and we will be seeing him stamp his own mark on the team...

As i mentioned i have heard very strong links to Aspas...but wouldn't be surprised if we went after the likes of Vela, Dos Santos, Griezmann...and maybe Moreno or Forlin from Espanyol

i would be happy with Astori or Ogbanna at centre half, Naingollan or Wanyama in defensive midfield...would love a playmaker like Honda (available for around £4mill) as well

Definitely think that Lens is a great shout for the wing position...Zarate (has he been linked?) is a good player and Aspas (strongly linked) would also be a good striker acquisition...

Other than that i think we need a cover right back and left back...

i would be happy with Astori or Ogbanna at centre half, Naingollan or Wanyama in defensive midfield...would love a playmaker like Honda (available for around £4mill) as well

Definitely think that Lens is a great shout for the wing position...Zarate (has he been linked?) is a good player and Aspas (strongly linked) would also be a good striker acquisition...

Other than that i think we need a cover right back and left back...

Surely Honda isn't available for that much. If he is then we should definitely try for him.

Cheeky £12m bid for Dzagoev as well ;)

I suppose there is no question Honda is a talented player and I think it is likely he has the strength for the premiership but that leaves us with A) Would he come to us for a reasonable wage? B) Where would he fit into our existing tactic? C) Who else might beat us to the punch?

We offer plenty as a club but i'd be surprised if we could beat off international competition for the lad ... then again I, and others, were shocked we were able to attract Ramirez ...

I suppose there is no question Honda is a talented player and I think it is likely he has the strength for the premiership but that leaves us with A) Would he come to us for a reasonable wage? B) Where would he fit into our existing tactic? C) Who else might beat us to the punch?

We offer plenty as a club but i'd be surprised if we could beat off international competition for the lad ... then again I, and others, were shocked we were able to attract Ramirez ...

I think it's conceivable that Cortese could beat off numerous rivals.