Summer 2013 HCDAJFU / Transfer thread

Glasgow_Saint

I would like us to sign players with pace and height, dont have any names to mind, but i think to fit our new style we need better athletes.

The Strachen-era proved you dont need to be technically the best if you want to compete at the highest level, you need to be physically stronger and fitter than the opponents. Man Utd are fine example of this, not the best individual skilled players but absolute athletes.

Who at man utd is a top athlete but not trchnically skilled ?

Maybe Norwich can lose both their games, Wigan winning the last one and Norwich go down?

Between them it´s only 3 points, and about the same GD for both....

And then we snap up Ricky van Wolfswinkle who is likely to have some sort of clause that he wont have to go there if they go down....?

I would like us to sign players with pace and height, dont have any names to mind, but i think to fit our new style we need better athletes.

The Strachen-era proved you dont need to be technically the best if you want to compete at the highest level, you need to be physically stronger and fitter than the opponents. Man Utd are fine example of this, not the best individual skilled players but absolute athletes.

Kenwyn Jones?

(Dons hard hat.)

To be fair, at least Wigan have given Kone playing time. It's hard to make any judgement on Mayuka to be honest.

fair point, but Mayuka has failed to make the bench a few times leaving us without a striker on the bench. When that happens it tells nme that he's doesn't impress much in training. Hope he finds his feet and take the league by storm next season.

fair point, but Mayuka has failed to make the bench a few times leaving us without a striker on the bench. When that happens it tells nme that he's doesn't impress much in training. Hope he finds his feet and take the league by storm next season.

True, he's a funny player. Came to us with a pretty big fanfare, and his first couple of performances were really promising Then for whatever reason, he just stopped being picked. I don't think he's rubbish, I think he's got alot to his game to be honest.

I saw him in the Liverpool U21 game at St Mary's a few months back, and he did stand out as a pretty decent player (although he probably should at that level!)

Still hope we persevere with him. Difference with him and Gaston, is that Gaston has had genuine playing time but hasn't really delivered consistently. I don't think anyone can really say Mayuka has had a poor season because he hasn't been given a chance. I think as a fan base, we still don't really know what sort of player we have!

Hey...Tony Pulis is on the forum!

Agreed mate. What do you think about JWP? Good player imho

Needs to have a good pre season to have any chance of starting next season.

I feel he will be down the pecking order when we buy some quality players, certainly one for the cup matches.

I like Kone and Emmerson Boyce, but that's all. Boyce would be a decent squad player.

Maloney's a good player, been better than Lallana this season for them and would do well in our system-has a good end product and scores goals. McCarthy is decent as well and i'd look at both their full backs if they go down

Agreed mate. What do you think about JWP? Good player imho

loaned out probably, top half championship perhaps. Needs to play, won't with us unless we're selling and not replacing. Players with class should never be afraid to drop down a level for a year . Morgan is the prime example. Could have got a bench spot somewhere but he wanted to play.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Yeah, Altidore has grown as a player in Holland. Strong and has pace.

One negative is that when he was at Huil a few years back he was a far from impressive.

Agreed, let me pre-fix my last post by agreeing that I remember he was rubbish for Hull :)

Altidore, really? What's he up to these days anyway?

Didn't he have that completely forgettable spell with Hull a few years back?

He did, though he also showed flashes of having innate quality while he was at Hull. However, over the last year and a half in Holland he's become a complete beast. Looks Benteke-esque, but arguably with a bit more composure.

Relegated teams and potential targets..

QPR

Junior Hoilett - Would provide us with some real pace out wide, tricky and although he's been out of sorts this season, would be a good signing for us.

Joey Barton - Hear me out on this one. Think he might work well with Pochettino. Obvious problems on the pitch, but he's a good player and very knowledgeable about the game.

Loic Remy - He's a fantastic player, but I would be a bit disappointed if we signed him as he just comes across as a bit of a mercenary. Will go to Arsenal anyway.

READING

Nick Blackman - Still very raw but he has the makings of a very good striker. Saw him a few times when he was on loan at Motherwell a few years ago and he was always outstanding.

Sean Morrison - Big centre back, probably not good enough to be first-choice yet but if one of our current CBs were to leave he'd be a great squad player.

WIGAN (?)

James McCarthy - Great midfield playmaker, sits deep and pulls the strings. Similar to Steven Davis but more technically capable and a great option at CM.

Maynor Figueroa - Very versatile, strong and experienced. Think he'd be a very sensible addition to the squad and wouldn't cost the world either.

Callum McManaman - Wigan won't want to let him go, but I think this guy could be a very good striker. Not entirely impressive during loan spells, but making a name for himself now.

QPR

Junior Hoilett - Would provide us with some real pace out wide, tricky and although he's been out of sorts this season, would be a good signing for us.

Joey Barton - Hear me out on this one. Think he might work well with Pochettino. Obvious problems on the pitch, but he's a good player and very knowledgeable about the game.

Loic Remy - He's a fantastic player, but I would be a bit disappointed if we signed him as he just comes across as a bit of a mercenary. Will go to Arsenal anyway.

READING

Nick Blackman - Still very raw but he has the makings of a very good striker. Saw him a few times when he was on loan at Motherwell a few years ago and he was always outstanding.

Sean Morrison - Big centre back, probably not good enough to be first-choice yet but if one of our current CBs were to leave he'd be a great squad player.

WIGAN (?)

James McCarthy - Great midfield playmaker, sits deep and pulls the strings. Similar to Steven Davis but more technically capable and a great option at CM.

Maynor Figueroa - Very versatile, strong and experienced. Think he'd be a very sensible addition to the squad and wouldn't cost the world either.

Callum McManaman - Wigan won't want to let him go, but I think this guy could be a very good striker. Not entirely impressive during loan spells, but making a name for himself now.

I'd also take Maloney off Wigan if they go down and we stay up.

Utterly dire when we played them the other week, I hope we will aim higher than dross like Morrison.

Edited by Katalinic

Why are we only looking for players in teams that might go down?

Is it so far fetched we could attract players from other teams in the league?

I'm not saying that those should be the only players we should look at, but relegated teams very often have to ship out some of their best players in order to balance the books and they would be good signings at a slightly reduced price.

I'd also take Maloney off Wigan if they go down and we stay up.

Don't you mean when? ;) He is a good player, but think he'll either stay with Wigan or go back to Celtic imo. Reaching the latter stages of his career, could be his last shot at Europe.

Utterly dire when we played them the other week, I hope we will aim higher than dross like Morrison.

Doesn't really help when the players around him are sh!te though. Thought we should have got him when he was at Swindon, he's improving and would be a good option for us imo.

I'm not saying that those should be the only players we should look at, but relegated teams very often have to ship out some of their best players in order to balance the books and they would be good signings at a slightly reduced price.

Sorry, that wasn´t meant to critisize your post, just a general thought I had cause many posts in the thread has been about those teams that get relegated.

I dont think that Reading or Wigan need to clear out that many players though. I think they have a decent wage policy that doesn´t force them to do that.

QPR on the other hand....

QPR

READING

WIGAN (?)

McCarthy (GK) from Reading.

Whoever it was who called out Altidore has produced a great shout, he is probably the best striker in Holland and has been dominating that league for the past couple of seasons.

Why, thank you. He always looked great athlete in terms of strength and pace, but now looks like he has improved his finishing. Not surprising since he was only 20/21 first time round with Hull, and is 23 now.

Kone is 29 years old ffs. Do you not think it is unfair to compare him with a 22 year old that has only had brief cameos so far? I think Mayuka from the little we've seen looks promising.

calm down dear. I wasn't comparing the two, I was merely stating that I had hoped Mayuka would offer the same things as Kone has offered Wigan this season, ie pace and power, a huge goal threat, the ability to make things happen from nothing, the ability to lead the line and score goals.

Maloney's a good player, been better than Lallana this season for them and would do well in our system-has a good end product and scores goals.

I like Maloney, nice neat and tidy player, but when evaluating him you have to take into account that the formation is built round him. He gets a completely free role at Wigan allowing him to see a lot of the ball between the lines, which always makes a player look good. Would he get that free role for us? At times we have given Gaston that liberty, but less so Lallana. Stick Lallana in that free role all season and I think he'd look just as good. What Lallana has shown is he is able to play left midfield, albeit struggling a little to defend against pacey fullbacks overlapping. Not sure Maloney can do that job.

Is having a player without any responsibilities detrimental to the side as a whole? Are we better with all 11 players with more rigid jobs attacking and defending?

Goals wise, Maloney has 5 in 34, Lallana 3 in 25.

Sorry, that wasn´t meant to critisize your post, just a general thought I had cause many posts in the thread has been about those teams that get relegated.

I dont think that Reading or Wigan need to clear out that many players though. I think they have a decent wage policy that doesn´t force them to do that.

QPR on the other hand....

S'alright, I didn't think it was aimed at my post. Agree about Reading and Wigan - I think Reading will actually bring in a few players better than what they currently have (not difficult) and be a good team next year under Nige. Wigan can afford to lose players like Kone and Al-Habsi because they've got a good squad behind them, unlike a lot of teams in this division that rely heavily on 1 or 2 players producing the goods (Norwich, Stoke etc).

McCarthy (GK) from Reading.

I don't think we need him personally. He'll benefit from a few seasons of first team football with Reading before moving onto another club. Boruc is good for at least 2 more seasons with us I think.

QPR

On what planet is Junior Hoilett anything other than a mercenary? Almost every player QPR have signed since they got promoted have had that about them, and I wouldn't take a single one of them. They don't have any hunger for the game; if they did they'd have signed for a different club. I'd only have one player that's put on a QPR shirt this season and that's Andros Townsend, but he'll be going back to Spurs.

Why are we only looking for players in teams that might go down?

Is it so far fetched we could attract players from other teams in the league?

It's unlikely. Signings within the league tend to go up the food chain rather than down, unless the player is unwanted at the bigger club.