Summer 2013 HCDAJFU / Transfer thread

Glasgow_Saint

why would we consider a failure like Arshavin ? NC has big big plans, he wants international experience now, that's partly why

Adkins was evinced in favour of Mauricio, a man with top level experience to take us forward . We will sign 3 or 4 players I think and none of them will resemble Arshavin,Flamini or Phil Neville. Unfortunately I think there will be 1 at least major departure.

If there is a major departure the only one it will be is Shaw. All the others are nicely signed up or have just signed new contracts.

If there is a major departure the only one it will be is Shaw. All the others are nicely signed up or have just signed new contracts.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/shaw-im-here-to-stay-588971.aspx

Southampton Football Club are delighted to announce that Luke Shaw has pledged his long-term future to the Club, ending any speculation linking him with a move away from St Mary’s.

I’m playing in the Premier League for the First Team and that is all anyone wants to be doing, so I just want to carry on."

The commitment from the 17 year-old follows in the footsteps of fellow youngster James-Ward Prowse, who signed a five-year deal last November.

"I have spoken with the Chairman about a long term plan for me at the Club," Shaw said after making his decision.

"To put an end to all the speculation, I will be committing my future to Southampton. I’m not going anywhere.

"I think Southampton is the place to be for young kids like me. I’m playing in the Premier League for the First Team and that is all anyone wants to be doing, so I just want to carry on.

"I have been at Southampton since a very young age so I've been here a long time now. I think they are happy with me here, and this Club is great for young players like us.

"If you look back over the years, Adam [Lallana] has come through the youth system and now he is the captain of the First Team, and Prowsey (James Ward-Prowse) has just signed a five-year deal – and that is what I want to be doing.

He'll be signing a long term contract with Saints on his birthday in July.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Just because other players haven't broken their pre contract agreement doesn't mean it's watertight that Shaw will sign, hopefully he will but due to being a minor no contract with Shaw is currently legally binding. Roll on his 18th birthday and get him signed! I personally think he will.

Just because other players haven't broken their pre contract agreement doesn't mean it's watertight that Shaw will sign, hopefully he will but due to being a minor no contract with Shaw is currently legally binding. Roll on his 18th birthday and get him signed! I personally think he will.

When is he 18?

Another LB is key. Don't want to burn young Lukey out and Fox is an incapable PL back up.

Arsenal fan told me Shaw and Clyne wil go to them for 10 mil in the summer, I tried not to lol to loud.

Cant see anyone leaving this summer, now we are in the PL dealing with Cortese must be hard for even the most experienced negotiator. Dont think we will many signings this summer, didnt Corteses say he wanted half the team to be from the academy, and didnt he get MP because he is known for bringing in youngsters?

Would like to see us go for young talented English players (like we did with Clyne, Rodriquez and Cork), as I think the majority of the players in the team should be English.

Optimistic move for Essien? Another quality option in midfield, experience etc. Probably not our style I guess but he's been a reserve mostly and still has a few good years.

Still like Mignolet if Sunderland went down and Boruc wasn't going to sign. Probably about time we gave Xavi a chance to follow his idol MLT in the Premier league too.

Not sure that you could have Fonte and Essien at the same club.

Be interesting to see if we go in for names we've been linked with previously. We courted JRod for a year or so before we signed him, same with Sharp, along with a couple of others.

Astori is the only name which stands out....Matt Phillips?

Here is who we were linked with in January...

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?41776-Who-we-ve-been-linked-with-for-January-thread

Federik Sorensen? Zarate? Verdu? Biglia ?

Be interesting to see if we go in for names we've been linked with previously. We courted JRod for a year or so before we signed him, same with Sharp, along with a couple of others.

Astori is the only name which stands out....Matt Phillips?

Here is who we were linked with in January...

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?41776-Who-we-ve-been-linked-with-for-January-thread

Federik Sorensen? Zarate? Verdu? Biglia ?

Past "links" don't mean much. Why last summer apparently Nige's number 1 target was a bloke called Bram Nuytink or something like that...did he ever get a mention in "links" ?

Past "links" don't mean much. Why last summer apparently Nige's number 1 target was a bloke called Bram Nuytink or something like that...did he ever get a mention in "links" ?

Says who ?! And my point is that we have been after some players for a while then finally get them. J-Rod, Clyne, Sharp, Hooper, we have all been after for ages.

Can't see MP being interested tbh. Think we'll be looking for players with top flight experience' date=' be it English top flight or foreign.[/quote']

I know what you're saying, but the signings like Clyne / Rodriguez have worked a treat.

IMO, the minimum we need to sign is:

Boruc, or another top class 'keeper

An outstanding, top notch, CB

A good ball playing DM to rotate with Morgan and Cork (plus allow Cork to be used as cover for RB, which could also allow Clyne to be the cover at LB)

A good, fast, attacking player able to play on either flank (would love Lens, as then he could also be used as a central attacking option/cover)

Boruc, or another top class 'keeper ............Boruc (if not then Al Habsi or Mignonlet)

An outstanding, top notch, CB ............... Shawcross CDAJFU

A good ball playing DM to rotate with Morgan and Cork (plus allow Cork to be used as cover for RB, which could also allow Clyne to be the cover at LB) ........ Maloney

A good, fast, attacking player able to play on either flank (would love Lens, as then he could also be used as a central attacking option/cover) ...... Ince

Chuck in a Spanish wildcard (striker?) and we could be top 7/8.

A good ball playing DM to rotate with Morgan and Cork (plus allow Cork to be used as cover for RB, which could also allow Clyne to be the cover at LB)

A good, fast, attacking player able to play on either flank (would love Lens, as then he could also be used as a central attacking option/cover)

Spot on (assuming we don't "lose" any of our better players in the summer - every player has a price!). Maybe I lack ambition for Saints, but there are 7 or 8 players I'm more than happy to retain in the 1st team squad. Lambert, Rodriguez, Lallana, Cork, Schneiderlin, Clyne, Shaw, Boruc, maybe even Yoshida. I wouldn't be bothered if Ramirez and S.Davis are moved on, but also quite happy for them to stay as squad members. I would love Ramirez to prove his worth, but if he had to be used as a bargaining chip for a better player, so be it. Forgot about Forren and Mayuka. Our squad is a bit bloated at the moment though, isn't it!

Can't see MP being interested tbh. Think we'll be looking for players with top flight experience' date=' be it English top flight or foreign.[/quote']

Are we going to have another summer of people crying out for this on here?

I can't see why they would switch to this tactic all of a sudden? Surely if they were going to pursue that route it would have been last summer?

Agreed, although I think having another natural left footed player to cover at LB would be preferable.

Agree with this but would add 1 or 2 top strikers as I feel we will need 4 good strikers to be successful over a whole season and we only really have 2 at the moment.

We could then have 2 strikers on the pitch and 2 on the bench for impact.

I can't see why they would switch to this tactic all of a sudden? Surely if they were going to pursue that route it would have been last summer?

I didn't necessarily mean to say top flight experience, more top flight quality. As in top half finish quality.

Gaston was a 'top flight" signing, perhaps JRod as well; Yoshida looks perfectly comfortable in the top flight now. Trouble is English football in general and the PL in particulier are very different from other leagues. The pace, the physicality and the intensity just don't get mastered in a day. Read the interviews by our foreign lads, they all say the same sort of thing, "you've got to put your foot in otherwise they'll think you're pussy and you'll get bullied" "it's hard to last 90 minutes at this intensity"etc etc etc. No matter who we sign if they're not used to PL football they'll take a while to adapt. If they have the class and maitrise to do just that it won't take too long. Personally I don't think having a manager and coaches without PL experience would have helped much either.

Agree with this but would add 1 or 2 top strikers as I feel we will need 4 good strikers to be successful over a whole season and we only really have 2 at the moment.

We could then have 2 strikers on the pitch and 2 on the bench for impact.

4 might be overkill if we only play with 1 up top.

It's the 3 floating attacking midfielders that we need the depth for, IMO.

4 might be overkill if we only play with 1 up top.

It's the 3 floating attacking midfielders that we need the depth for, IMO.

I think we need 7-8 players for Striker-Attacking midfield positions, some of those 7-8 that can play in both position.

Right now we have Rickie as striker. JRod and perhaps Mayuka as Striker/AM. Gaston, Adam, Jason and Guly as AM options, and perhaps Davis but I see him more as a CM/AM option.

I think Guly might leave, dont know what will happen to Mayuka.

Another striker and 1 or 2 extra Striker/AM/Winger options. Would love Adrian Lopez as addition.

I didn't necessarily mean to say top flight experience' date=' more top flight quality. As in top half finish quality.[/quote']

Fair enough mate, you did say "top flight experience" though. The two are different things ;)

Gaston was a 'top flight" signing, perhaps JRod as well; Yoshida looks perfectly comfortable in the top flight now. Trouble is English football in general and the PL in particulier are very different from other leagues. The pace, the physicality and the intensity just don't get mastered in a day. Read the interviews by our foreign lads, they all say the same sort of thing, "you've got to put your foot in otherwise they'll think you're pussy and you'll get bullied" "it's hard to last 90 minutes at this intensity"etc etc etc. No matter who we sign if they're not used to PL football they'll take a while to adapt. If they have the class and maitrise to do just that it won't take too long. Personally I don't think having a manager and coaches without PL experience would have helped much either.

I'm not 100% what you are getting at here mate.

The way I see it, IF we can keep the core of our squad (obviously offloading the deadwood) then we have a talented, group of players with a years worth of Premier League experience under their belts, including scrapping away for a while, before (hopefully) pulling away to a more comfortable finish to the season (this is, in my opinion, what will happen). The majority of this group of players are at a pretty good age too, so you would hope that year of Prem experience, and being a bit older they will be improved on where they were in August last year.

I definitely agree that we should be looking to add extra quality, but personally, I would much rather we stick to what we have been doing. Which is looking to recruit young, talented players, who can improve, and push on with us. Whether or not they have played 200 games in the Prem is of less importance in my opinion.

For example, I'm delighted we signed Clyne and not Bosingwa last summer.

This is my worry. The only big leaver I can see this summer is Shaw, and I think that would be the case whether he was under long-term contract or not. He's such hot property now, the big clubs would tear their budgets apart to get him. Ideally we'd keep him, and I hope we do, but I think it will prove very tough. We'll all be sick of the media reports about him come July. Most importantly though is that Saints are in the driving seat, and he'll demand a high transfer fee as long as that contract is signed.

Am I right in saying we get a development fee if he leaves without the contract? That would be criminal.

I have faith in the club to do the right thing with the Shaw scenario, and should the worst happen and we lose Shaw, have faith in the club to sign the right replacements.

While we're on the topic, would Ryan Bertrand be an unrealistic target if we sold Shaw (perhaps even to Chelsea)? As Ashley Cole's signed a new contract, he'd be a decent choice to replace Shaw. (Hypothetically of course, I sincerely hope we keep Shaw.)

Assuming the aim is European ambition, I assume that the following would be on the agenda

RB/LB cover - Clynne and Shaw need to have playing time and are going to be top top players

Dominant Cb - Yoshida has come on leaps and boynds but we need a big lump (of the right calibre) beside him, it makes the Forren signing confusing though

CM - Look to sign a decent CM with the right attributes to, at the v least compete but possibly replace Cork.

RW or LW - With top pace, we IMO lack pace going forward and a decent winger will work wonders

CF - A younger Lambert really, hopefully an improvement. Michu would have been ideal.

Before someone jumps down my neck its not that Im not happy with Lambert, Cork etc They are integral to the team, but you get nowhere by standing still. If the players are out there to improve then we should do it

Danny Fox out - don't rate him

Hoovs - Out

Tandari Lee - give him a run out of ship

Mayuka - same

Verren - if he isn't good enough get rid

Keep Gaston Ramirez - 2nd Season will be more used to the way we play and obviously has alot of potential

Boruc - Keep

Cork and Schd - Keep

Right back and Left Back Cover

Decent Center Back - Strong doesn't f**k about and knows how to clear the deck

Striker - capable of getting goals I would put a cheeky bid in for Austin or if Villa go down Benteke

And Some decent foreign talent which I am sure we are looking at :)

Went to watch Dundee United vs Celtic today........ Victor Wanyama looks a class player as does CB Efe Ambrose

What´s the quality of the Scottish league at the moment?

Haven´t seen any games the last 2-3 years, just a bit of Celtic in Europe...

I seem to remember Wanyama heavily linked with Man U before joining Celtic. Does look a good player.

Think he would cost a bit, but looked very good today. Reminded me of Fellaini in that he was strong, looked calm and nobdy could take the ball off him (scored also)

What´s the quality of the Scottish league at the moment?

Haven´t seen any games the last 2-3 years, just a bit of Celtic in Europe...

Celtic apart quality is lower champ / L1 standard. Good game today though...... 3-3 FT and Celtic won 4-3 AET

Went with a load of Dundee United fans and the atmosphere was superb...... United fans sung non-stop, outstanding support.

Think he would cost a bit, but looked very good today. Reminded me of Fellaini in that he was strong, looked calm and nobdy could take the ball off him (scored also)

Celtic apart quality is lower champ / L1 standard. Good game today though...... 3-3 FT and Celtic won 4-3 AET

Went with a load of Dundee United fans and the atmosphere was superb...... United fans sung non-stop, outstanding support.

Aren't united and arsenal rumoured to be sniffing around him? Might be a struggle to get him here!

Only seen him in glimpses, but what I have seen has been impressive, would be some coup.

Priorities lie elsewhere for me though.

If we're going to look at young players with potential in the lower leagues we should take a look at the following youngsters:

Kieran Trippier for cover at right back

Charlie Austin for cover at centre forward

Tom Ince or Matt Phillips for right wing

Martin Olsson for left back

I'm not really aware of any good young centre backs out there

I'd also take a look at John Guidetti at Man City and Josh McCrachan at Chelsea/Boro.

And looking at Scotland Fraser Forster for goalkeeper and possibly Berim Kayal in midfield if he gets back to his pre-injury form.

If we got a couple of these and added some real quality from Europe such as Biglia and Astoria I'd be very happy.

Think we could expect an established name from europe coming in.

Robert Soldado

Jesus Navas

Adrian Lopez

Rakitic

Chipricu

Player's to that effect.

Would love to see Lucas Biglia or Henrikh Mkhitaryan

Think we could expect an established name from europe coming in.

Robert Soldado

Jesus Navas

Adrian Lopez

Rakitic

Chipricu

Player's to that effect.

Would love to see Lucas Biglia or Henrikh Mkhitaryan

If we are allowed to dream, but still dream of players with some sort of link to former rumours or to MP my list would be.

Astori

Biglia

Callejon

Osvaldo

Lopez