Summer 2013 HCDAJFU / Transfer thread

Glasgow_Saint

Nathan Redmond?

Telegraph have him linked with Fulham, WBA and Norwich.

Brum are seriously skint so surely less then £5mil, always liked the look of him and still v much in the "young and hungry" camp at nineteen with room to imrove under Poch.

To be honest I'd kind of forgot about him but still, any opinions?

Don't think he is good enough myself, certainly not yet to get anywhere near our squad.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/10382034._/?

FORMER Dell star Robbie Slater is backing fellow Aussie Trent Sainsbury to sign for Saints.

The Daily Echo recently reported how Saints were tracking the centre half, who has just helped Central Coast Mariners win his country’s A League title.

Championship promotion hopefuls Bolton are also keen, and Sainsbury has hinted at moving this summer.

“I've had one good season. It doesn’t mean I’ve had a great career as of yet,” the Perth-born player said yesterday. “I've still got to pay my dues, and I’ve got to work hard. I've got a lot of ambitions, and definitely one of them will be (joining) an overseas club.”

A Mariners spokesperson yesterday said Sainsbury’s agent had been in contact with Saints and Bolton, but that the reported transfer fee of around £350,000 was “speculative and not accurate yet”.

Slater said: “It’s fantastic what Southampton have achieved this season in terms of staying in the Premier League and proving they belong at that level.

“Trent could go there. Playing in the Premiership is a big incentive for any player. I will always be a Southampton supporter because I had a great time there and made a lot of friends.”

Squad or first team? Don't see him as better then what we've got yet but plenty of potential and ticks the young english boxes ;)

Matchday squad - he wouldnt replace Puncheon on the bench for me. I think he plays in the same Eng U19 team as JWP.

Whenever Ive seen him this season he is talented but hit and miss, probably due to age. Wouldnt be someone I think that would improve the first team setup next season.

Apparantly that Sainsbury guy is off to Bolton because we want him to go on trial first before deciding anything.

No disrespect to my fellow Australians, but I don't think there is a single player out here who would succeed in the Premiership. Championship at best.

IMO these would be the kind of signings we need Salah, Lukaku or a striker like that, Ogbonna(expensive)/Dede(reasonable) or a good strong CB, cover for RB and fast-track some youth players like Rowe for bench so he can work his way up and Targett for LB cover.

Anyone from the Championship team of the year?

Kasper Schmeichel, Kieran Trippier (Burnley), Wes Morgan (Leicester), Mark Hudson (Cardiff), Wayne Bridge (Brighton), Wilfried Zaha (Crystal Palace), Thomas Ince (Blackpool), Peter Whittingham (Cardiff), Yannick Bolasie (Crystal Palace), Glenn Murray (Crystal Palace), Matej Vydra (Watford).

How much for Romelu Lukaku?

Chelsea agreed to pay £17m for him, admittedly with only £10m up front. Now he's had a good season in the premier league, probably worth £20-25m in a market soon to be undergoing a bit of a striker merry-go-round (Suarez, Lewandowski, Falcau, Cavani all likely to be on the move). Out of our price range I'd say.

Trippier, Ince and Vydra. Wouldn't take any of the others.

I rate Schmeichel but not sure he'd be a number two. Would provide serious competition for Boruc though with KD not really trusted and Gazzaniga hopefully going out on loan to get a run of games.

Trippier is a very good shout and hopefully we'l have fairly decent rep with burnley after giving them a fair deal for rodriguez.

Ince might cost a small fortune but certainly would fit into our side. I still rate Phillips and would love to see us go back for him. Not ideal but he sulked after not being allowed to talk to us last summer so eventually they may have to cash in, five million could land him and would be good business.

Vydra has shown quality but I admit I haven't seen enough of him to know if he'd fit into our style of play. That annnnd should Watford go up he's surely going nowhere?

Yeah and I have a feeling he can play left of right, a bit like Clyne, but obviously prefers right back. (might be wrong).

That'd be a massive bonus if he could cover left-back.

Ince might cost a small fortune but certainly would fit into our side. I still rate Phillips and would love to see us go back for him. Not ideal but he sulked after not being allowed to talk to us last summer so eventually they may have to cash in, five million could land him and would be good business.

I'm pretty sure Ince will still end up at Anfield, but I do wonder whether he's good enough for them yet.

I think Phillips is still a realistic option. Our record of signing young English players has been pretty good in the last couple of years.

Vydra has shown quality but I admit I haven't seen enough of him to know if he'd fit into our style of play. That annnnd should Watford go up he's surely going nowhere?

He's done very well for them this year - Do Watford even own him? Or is it one of those dodgy loans?

That'd be a massive bonus if he could cover left-back.

I'm pretty sure Ince will still end up at Anfield, but I do wonder whether he's good enough for them yet.

I think Phillips is still a realistic option. Our record of signing young English players has been pretty good in the last couple of years.

He's done very well for them this year - Do Watford even own him? Or is it one of those dodgy loans?

Ok I know its bad form but football manager suggests he can play right or left back, its not gospel but they do an amazing ammount of scouting.

Ince probably will, true. I do wonder though if he's learnt to only go back if he's guarenteed a certain ammount of first team oppurtunities as that's what forced him out in the first place.

Agree with Phillips. I think he's gettable and could do a job now as well as developing. Sidenote I think he's Scottish technically but it's all the same in football terms.

No doubt he's done well, award winning season for the lad, I just don't know what sort of striker he plays best as. Err I believe he's still owned by Udinese but the transfer may become, or have became, permanent. Not that it stands for much with the arrangement they have!

Our record of signing young English players has been pretty good in the last couple of years.

Yes, but these were signed whilst we had an English manager with a good eye on the domestic market. But apparently he wasn't deemed good enough.

Remains to be seen where we go shopping now, Spain & South America are the obvious bets.Italy no doubt as well.

Had a little think at work today who we could sign, looking for young players with the potential to progress with the club.

Aidan White (Leeds) - Plays anywhere down the left, young, quick and big potential. Not sure Leeds will want to part with him but would be a good addition for us.

Tom Lees (Leeds) - Similar to White in his situation, big strong centre back who could be very good. If we got rid of Jos or another he would be a good target.

Will Buckley (Brighton) - Only signed a new deal this year, but he's being linked to clubs at the moment and would be quality for us. Versatile and talented.

Kieron Trippier (Burnley) - Done very well for Burnley this season, was gutted when he went to them from City because I thought he would've been perfect for us. Can play RM too.

Sean Murray (Watford) - If they don't go up I think he would be a fantastic addition for us. Forward thinking, enthusiastic, hard-working and versatile midfielder.

Had a little think at work today who we could sign, looking for young players with the potential to progress with the club.

Aidan White (Leeds) - Plays anywhere down the left, young, quick and big potential. Not sure Leeds will want to part with him but would be a good addition for us.

Tom Lees (Leeds) - Similar to White in his situation, big strong centre back who could be very good. If we got rid of Jos or another he would be a good target.

Will Buckley (Brighton) - Only signed a new deal this year, but he's being linked to clubs at the moment and would be quality for us. Versatile and talented.

Kieron Trippier (Burnley) - Done very well for Burnley this season, was gutted when he went to them from City because I thought he would've been perfect for us. Can play RM too.

Sean Murray (Watford) - If they don't go up I think he would be a fantastic addition for us. Forward thinking, enthusiastic, hard-working and versatile midfielder.

I expect us to sign about zero players from the Championship, think we'll sign 3 or 4, all from within the PL or European sides.

I expect us to sign about zero players from the Championship, think we'll sign 3 or 4, all from within the PL or European sides.

Besides, of those mentioned White is crap, Lees average, Buckley always injured etc - if we did sign any Championship players it wouldnt be any of those.

What about Scott Sinclair from Man City? He does not get a game, there is a family connection and we need a pacey winger who is decent too.

I'd take him, I think he's a cracking player. Just not sure the club will go after these players. The wages are probably horrendous and the club seems to want players on the way up rather than down. Just my opinion...

I'd take him, I think he's a cracking player. Just not sure the club will go after these players. The wages are probably horrendous and the club seems to want players on the way up rather than down. Just my opinion...

I think that whatever the former recruitment policy might have been we will have realised that we need at least 2 major international defenders and a fast wide player if we are to fulfill our ambitions in the near future. Still not convinced that Shaw can play more than half next season's games and I'd sign a left back, a CB and a front man, all of premier quality..

Edited by Window Cleaner

Still think we'll buy 1 or 2 young players from lower league in England, and bring in the big signings from Serie A

I reckon we'll see Astori. I think we need to make a statement signing at the back this summer, rather than in attack.

Or, we could make a statement signing in 2 positions! I'd be happy with that...

What with the impending financial restrictions and Citys undoubted belief that to become champions again they need to spend it wouldnt surprise me if the fringe of Rodwell, Sinclair and Lescott leave be it free or on loan with subsidised wages.

Id also take any of those three if we have the chance

Doubt anybody else is watching but Villa Sunderland cracking game. Got me thinking I'd take Rose. On loan from spurs and rumours are he's likely to have a permanent deal at sunderland but could we hijack it? Can play lb or lm, has pace, eye for a pass and defensively sound. The price quoted around in a few papers is up to eight mil with so much of it up front.

Sidenote Lowton looks cracking! Not a player we need with Clyne established at rb.

if we are looking at fullbacks then Danny Rose from Spurs would be a tremendous signing. Not sure how we'd get him though as I imagine Sunderland will do their best to get him.

Sam Byron from Leeds is another we might look at, but not at the £10m being talked of in the papers.

I wonder how Gazza is rated by Poch. McCarthy at Reading worth looking at perhaps?

I put his name forward on here last summer as an alternative to Butland, and would like to see a GK who is right age to be with us a few years. Can't see it happening though.

if we are looking at fullbacks then Danny Rose from Spurs would be a tremendous signing. Not sure how we'd get him though as I imagine Sunderland will do their best to get him.

Sam Byron from Leeds is another we might look at, but not at the £10m being talked of in the papers.

Putting his goal aside which was an excellent team goal.... Did you not see Sunderland's defensive display tonight?

Likely but they could yet go down or we could offer him a chance to stay down south being a london lad. Worth a punt at least.

Putting his goal aside which was an excellent team goal.... Did you not see Sunderland's defensive display tonight?

He was FAR from the worst offender tonight. Albeit not his shining hour but been one of the few bright lights fur sunderland this season and they seem pretty keen on keeping him, must be a reason.