Summer 2013 HCDAJFU / Transfer thread

Glasgow_Saint

Spoke to someone who knows Sam Hoskins and he is being released at the end of the season, also stated a large number of other players have been told already they are not staying on.

Am I right in saying Butterfield & Richardson are in the last year of there contract as he mentioned them.

Spoke to someone who knows Sam Hoskins and he is being released at the end of the season, also stated a large number of other players have been told already they are not staying on.

Am I right in saying Butterfield & Richardson are in the last year of there contract as he mentioned them.

I believe you are correct, Pilch.

I've got Forecast, Seaborne, Dickson, Chaplow down as being also out of contract.

Unsure on any others.

Makes perfect sense. I think the club will bring in between 5-8 players. Not all for the first XI but too raise the level of the squad cause at the moment we have possibly 13-14 players that can cut it in PL at a good level and you probably over a season needs 18-20 players of that quality to be successful. (as in top half position).

I think players that are 20-21 yrs old now and is on L1 level will be released as quick as possible.

http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2013/04/cagliari-on-rumours-linking-prize-assets-with-manchester-city-and-southampton/?

Cagliari On Rumours Linking Prize Assets With Manchester City And Southampton

Gianfranco Matteoli, head of Cagliari’s youth sector, has commented on transfer speculation surrounding two of the clubs key players: Davide Astori and Radja Nainggolan.

Astori, a 26-year-old Italian central defender who has been capped three times by the Azzurri, has been linked to English Premier League club Southampton as well as Serie A rivals Napoli in recent weeks.

Both the Saints and the Partenopei – as well as Manchester City – have also been linked with Nainggolan, 24, a central midfielder who has four appearances for the Belgian national team thus far.

Matteoli, however, stayed relatively nonchalant about giving away any significant details, instead choosing to heap praise on the defender in a recent interview with Neapolitan radio station Radio Crc.

“He [Astori] is an important player and is not just liked at Napoli. He is an international [who] has depth and experience, but I do not know what his future will be,” he told the host, Raffaele Auriemma.

The Rossoblu youth chief, 53, took a similar route when commenting on the clubs Belgian midfielder.

“Nainggolan is incredible in the middle of the field because he can do everything,” he said.

There are no definitive sources for likely price tags as yet, but some of the more regularly quoted figures range between £15 million (€17.5m) for Nainggolan and £10 million (€11.7m) for Astori.

Both players have been virtual ever-presents for the Isolani this campaign, with Nainggolan contributing two goals and two assists in his 29 games and Astori having made 27 appearances thus far.

We had some rumours in January that said we had talks with Astori & he was keen to come.

His club was giving out vibes that he could leave at the end of this season which could suggest this deal is still on the table.

Exciting times for the rumour mill but at least it's better than the Crawley/MK Don/Bristol City ones we used to get?

Championship team of the year will be announced in a couple of weeks, just buy two or three from that?

Agree with this, although often `names' make it rather than actual performers. Having only seen highlights shows all season its hard to guess whp will be on that list, but perhaps:

Marshall

Byron/Rosenior Hudson Turner/Chester Bridge

Ince Chalobah/Wittingham Elmohamady/Gunnarsson Zaha

Murray Vydra

Edited by Chez

Firstly i am going to start my post with a bit of a rant as i haven't posted for a while...i really feel that a lot of you Saints fans are almost afraid of success...the amounts of posts i read about keeping what we have got and only adding one or two players...or trying to sign sub-standard British players...or keeping dead wood like Hammond etc...madness

The club's trajectory has changed massively and it's time that fans stopped fearing success...the moment we spend a few bob you getting all these moaning old women saying we need to learn from Pompeys mistakes...give me a break

The club needs to invest in order to get to where they want to be...

Okay so second point...transfers...what is clear is that we will only sign players who will fit into our style of play ie very fit, good stamina, young and talented, better than what we already have...

Squad analysis - So the good news is that this is easily the most talented squad we have had since 1990 and the days of Wallace, Shearer, Le Tissier and co. We have a fantastic core of young talented players in Shaw, Clyne, Cork, Schneiderlin, Lallana, Ramirez, Rodriguez and not young but very talented Lambert...

So what do need???

Gk - happy to re-sign Boruc to a long term deal as he has done well. I like Frazer Forster at Celtic but no doubt they would want silly money...

RB/ LB - Cover needed at this position on both sides. Ideally players who can play multiple positions and contribute in midfield also if needed. Hoping these can be filled with bargains from La Liga who know they are squad players and have to fight for their place.

CB - Vital position if we are going to see improvements next season. Ogbanna, Astori, Kana-Biyik...all very good players and a significant upgrade on Hoiveld

CM - We are very strong here with Morgan and Cork...but playing 2 holders means we need more depth and quality to make improvements...i love the link to Naingollan...would be an excellent purchase. Biglia would also be a wonderful acquisition as a deep holding midfield playmaker

Wing - I definitely feel we could benefit from another pacy, direct winger to supplement our system...possibles here would be Ince, who would be great but English player tax may scupper that and he will more than likely end up at Liverpool...i definitely feel that the best fit would be the young Dutchman Jeremain Lens who can also play up front and definitely contribute...A left field pick could be Sosa who is playing in Ukraine...currently in the National Squad and a goalscoring winger

Striker - Not an urgent position by an means...considering we play only one up front technically...Benteke would be a dream signing and one for the next 10 years but im sure he is off to one of the big boys in the summer...

Osvaldo would also be another lovely signing but again maybe too tough to sign...expect a young striker from Argentina, relatively unknown here...as i think MoPo will want to take an Argy...so my pick is young Mori from River Plate

Don't expect inflated British players to be joining...

Cleared out the off topic stuff, please try to stay on topic.

zzzz oh yeah, cheers Jimmy D, nice one. I think we should sign Kurt Zouma as he is fantastic on Football manager and quick so be good with the high line. If not him, then Douglas Baggio as he is good and has a name that will make him increase in value. Cheerzzzzzzz

Why bother clearing it ?

You really have too much time on your hands

(Obviously I expect this to be cleared)

Because it would have taken more of my time to clear it if I'd let it carry on where it was headed. (or I'd have had to close the thread)

I hope it's just 4 or 5 signings max. And I think it will be. Even with the departures it's a very good squad with great young players getting better and nearer the team.

Another full back, CM, winger and perhaps a striker. Overhauling a talented team that works so well together won't go well. Doesn't mean we won't be spending big money on those few players though.

15 out 5 in?

Chaplow, De Ridder, Seaborne, Martin, Hammond, Lee, Sharp, Barnard, Butters, Dickson, Forte and Frazer could all leave without even effecting the match day 18. That's 12 and I'd like to see Fox and Guly replaced with better options. Hoskins I think has been told he will be released in summer. That pretty much makes 15 players surplus to requirements.

Chaplow, De Ridder, Seaborne, Martin, Hammond, Lee, Sharp, Barnard, Butters, Dickson, Forte and Frazer could all leave without even effecting the match day 18. That's 12 and I'd like to see Fox and Guly replaced with better options. Hoskins I think has been told he will be released in summer. That pretty much makes 15 players surplus to requirements.

just shows how good you have to be to play in the PL. Can't see much coming through from the youth so I expect we'll be buying again. As Shaw and AOC have proved if you're good enough you'll get a game at a young age, if you aren't you'll be passed on. If you're not knocking on the door of the team sheet regularly 18/19 you might as well start looking at flats in Bournemouth or Pompey.

Depends on the positions windows. I would say CB and GKs need a good few years longer and might not be ready for the first team until they are in their early 20s.

couldn't say about Cropper but I'd wager that none of our other U21 CBs or GKs makes the grade. Never rated Martin and Stephens will go the same way, just not progressing quickly enough so we'll have to sign at least 1 more CB this summer and then Stephen's days with us will be numbered, probably Forren's as well.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Bring in a class CB, someone who can play left and right back, an out and out striker, and a player who can play in the front 3 midfield positions.

Get rid of all reserve players if possible...

Dickson, Seaborne, Forecast, Richardson, Butterfield, Hammond, Sharp, Lee, Forte, Barnard, De Ridder, Chaplow, Martin.

Get rid of Guly and Fox if we have able replacements otherwise keep them as squad players.

Edited by Saint Garrett

couldn't say about Cropper but I'd wager that none of our other U21 CBs or GKs makes the grade. Never rated Martin and Stephens will go the same way, just not progressing quickly enough so we'll have to sign at least 1 more CB this summer and then Stephen's days with us will be numbered, probably Forren's as well.

Get rid of all reserve players if possible...

Dickson, Seaborne, Forecast, Richardson, Butterfield, Hammond, Sharp, Lee, Forte, Barnard, De Ridder, Chaplow, Stephens.

- Aarron Martin is 23 and will turn 24 in September. The club progressed too quickly for him and he will leave as he will never be Premier League quality.

- 19 year old Jack Stephens signed a new 4 year deal only two weeks ago!!! He is progressing well, playing for England at youth level and is a far better player than Martin. I certainly wouldn't write him off, he has a bright future imo.

Edited by Matthew Le God

- Aarron Martin is 23 and will turn 24 in September. The club progressed too quickly for him and he will leave as he will never be Premier League quality.

- 19 year old Jack Stephens signed a new 4 year deal only two weeks ago!!! He is progressing well, playing for England at youth level and is a far better player than Martin. I certainly wouldn't write him off, he has a bright future imo.

How many times have you seen him play?

2k a week, 5 year contract = over half a million...

Well you can't exactly retire off 5 years earning £100k p.a. He's probably spanked most of that on fast cars and fast women so look out for him behind the counter in McDonalds in the coming months.

Well you can't exactly retire off 5 years earning £100k p.a. He's probably spanked most of that on fast cars and fast women so look out for him behind the counter in McDonalds in the coming months.

Friend saw the Saints squad in marbella last summer - said "Tommy" was the biggest party animal and BIG time charlie of the lot

Nathan Redmond?

Telegraph have him linked with Fulham, WBA and Norwich.

Brum are seriously skint so surely less then £5mil, always liked the look of him and still v much in the "young and hungry" camp at nineteen with room to imrove under Poch.

To be honest I'd kind of forgot about him but still, any opinions?